After WP 8x appalling price, speculation on L920 pricing

fingrar

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The UK pricing of WP 8X was released, link at bottom, at ?531. YES pounds! This phone with a 16gb non expendable memory costs more than the Galaxy at release. With the Lumia 920 having slightly better specs and way more marketing invested in it, will the price be higher? And whats your guess on the pricing for L920 and L820? Sadly ill be forced to wait a couple of months or get the L820 if the pricing is anyways near.

Please Nokia, set the price at 450

Amazon UK lists unlocked HTC 8X Windows Phone for ?531.43 | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So that's in pounds? How much is that in US Dollars? Keeping in mind that's the full UNLOCKED price, so how does it compare to other unlocked phones?

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The UK pricing of WP 8X was released, link at bottom, at ?531. YES pounds!

The price isn't released at all... that's just Amazon's current price for it. Amazon - who are known to shift prices up and down like there's no tomorrow.

Clove, and Expansys, both have it listed at ?399.99... but again that's not official either... although I trust their phone prices more than I trust Amazon's.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Humm i expected the lumia 920 to go for 500? or something like that and htc to be cheaper than that. You can't be more expensive then iPhone 5.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Guys, please remember that in Europe, sales tax, or VAT is included in any pricing, and ranges from approximately 15-23% if I'm not mistaken within the different EU countries.

The UK is at 20%, so without VAT that would be about ?442, which would be about $762.

Admittedly, still high, but not as bad as it may have seemed at first. That still doesn't bode well for us here in Europe.

But still, it is just a guestimate from Amazon at this point, so let's not get too anxious yet.

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Stop getting your knickers in a twist - UK here, and Amazon isn't even a minor player in the market. They charge about 150% of the price of a high street retailer, and don't offer contracts.

?399.99 is far more realistic. In the UK, Amazon is a 'backstreet' seller when it comes to dealing in mobiles.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
prices quoted on pre order aree subject to change I am thinking that the price will change for the better before launch dates!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that UK prices include a sky-high VAT and other taxes. US pricing is about 1/4 to 1/3 less on electronics, on average, than in Britain.

However, I do agree that the WP phone prices are way too high, based on the announcements by Nokia in Europe and the initial pricing announcements for the 8X in the USA.

WP is a "gamble" for the average user, so it needs to sell at a deep discount to get traction. Nokia's strategy to price the 820 at around the same price as the S III is downright mystifying... I cannot see someone on T-Mobile or Verizon or AT&T picking up a low-res mid-tier device over the S III. (The 16 gigabyte S III is $550 at T-Mo right now).

The only way WP will get traction in an Android and iPhone world is being better AND much cheaper. That means FREE on T-Mobile with a two-year contract, and no more than US $400 off-contract.

Samsung sells a lot of S IIIs, and the ATIV is a slightly restyled S III. Perhaps their economies of scale can deliver the low prices that are necessary on WP devices, similar to what they've done with Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion