Design your own smartphone, like your computer

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who has ever built their own computer knows how exciting it can be. Researching all components, deciding what fits your budget, fitting out your rig and eagerly awaiting your finished product.

How far in the future do you think we are from building our own smartphones? Probably not until some visionary makes a claim that they see everyone with a smartphone in their hand. But, I am willing to stake that the first company to have an online smartphone building site during this time will make it big.

While I see this maybe 5 years from now, it doesn't stop me from imagining my own dream design made with components from different phones of TODAY!

5.0 inch screen (HTC J) -some like smaller, I like media on large screens
1920x1080 SLCD 3 RGB (HTC J)
Synaptic touch (Nokia)
60hz refresh (Nokia)
MicroSDXC slot (LG)
32GB Storage (Nokia)
NFC,Bluetooth,Wifi,(normal sensors,GPS) (ALL)
2GB DDR2 RAM (LG)
8.7MP Pureview Rear(f2.0, BSI, 26mm) (Nokia)
2.0MP wide angle front (HTC)
2300mah Replaceable Battery (Samsung)
Built in Qi Charging (Nokia)
Windows Phone 8 (Microsoft)
Qualcoms S4 Pro 4core w/Adreno 320 Graphics (LG/HTC)
Beats Audio (HTC)

What phone would you make? And how far into the future do you think this will pan out, if at all? This could be profitable to a company, because the sell a phone that they know that will sell instead of hoping it will sell.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what kind of size/weight you'd have to have all of that in one device... HTC and Samsung have proven they pack a lot into a small space, but the camera for the Lumia packs in some depth (for now).

I will be honest, I do like HTC's red better than Nokia's red, but I'm not willing to give up the screen or camera of Nokia. If I could build my own, my list would be similar but probably only 4.3" or 4.5" screen... and probably use the Lumia 920's casing with HTC's colors.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what kind of size/weight you'd have to have all of that in one device... HTC and Samsung have proven they pack a lot into a small space, but the camera for the Lumia packs in some depth (for now).
Probably maybe 1mm thicker than current 920 if that, as 920 has most of hardware.

I will be honest, I do like HTC's red better than Nokia's red <snip> and probably use the Lumia 920's casing with HTC's colors.
I am not really into the color thing. But those choices are also important.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much a 920 with matte finish, FM transmitter enabled (the chip is capable, but either its not being used or Nokia decided not to mention it as a spec).

I really cant come up with more to ask from hardware side of things. Plenty of stuff to ask for from OS/software side of things, but thats another story.

Sure, I could always ask for more processing power and RAM, but it often comes at expense of battery. Bigger batteries increase weight, etc. That said, we dont know much about 920 in everyday use yet, but as long as its smooth and fluid, I dont really need more.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much a 920 with matte finish, FM transmitter enabled (the chip is capable, but either its not being used or Nokia decided not to mention it as a spec).

As I stated in another thread on the topic, fear not... the FM radio is most likely enabled already, as it is a requirement of the WP hardware spec. I know that's not 100% yet, but I see no reason to doubt it.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Sure, I could always ask for more processing power and RAM, but it often comes at expense of battery. Bigger batteries increase weight, etc. That said, we dont know much about 920 in everyday use yet, but as long as its smooth and fluid, I dont really need more.
True. And my design device is purely hypothetical and conjecture. But a good feature is that the battery is replaceable, and can be upgraded to a higher capacity. I have already done that with my Titan. I guess a few ounces in weight doesn't bother me too much. To others, I expect they may not make the phone as big.

EDIT:
But can you see a design site like this in 5 years?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As I stated in another thread on the topic, fear not... the FM radio is most likely enabled already, as it is a requirement of the WP hardware spec. I know that's not 100% yet, but I see no reason to doubt it.

I have no use for FM radio, but FM transmitter is probably the feature I love most about my N8. I read up on the chip used in 920 and its capable of both radio and transmitter, though.

True. And my design device is purely hypothetical and conjecture. But a good feature is that the battery is replaceable, and can be upgraded to a higher capacity. I have already done that with my Titan. I guess a few ounces in weight doesn't bother me too much. To others, I expect they may not make the phone as big.

EDIT:
But can you see a design site like this in 5 years?

I would probably personally take a good solid unibody over replaceable battery. I dont see myself carrying around extra batteries and I most certainly wouldnt change into an aftermarket battery (if a bigger battery was available from Nokia and approved for the phone, then maybe).

It shows how people value very different things, I for one value build quality very high and I have never considered carrying extra batteries or ever even had the need for it. I dont mind extra weight either. To be honest, I expect myself to find the Lumia 920 too light. The Lumia 900 felt a tad light for my taste at 160g/4,3".

But no, I can't necessarily see such a service to really happen that would allow this, somehow. Having.. been hanging around at a Nokia factory several years it takes quite a bit more finesse to build smartphones than computers.

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I would love to make my own smartphone it will have 1080p display 1920*1080, CPU unsure to many I would prefer it to by like the computer market Intel or AMD.

If AMD can do the new version of the A series as a mobile CPU then I would be all over it A10-5800K.

A decent size battery 3100mha perhaps flexible and everything else Nokia is doing for the L920. :D

But good idea I would love to make my own phone and brand it my own logo BIGPADDY :giggle:

Last edited:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I would love to make my own smartphone it will have 1080p display 1920*1080, CPU unsure to many I would prefer it to by like the computer market Intel or AMD.

If AMD can do the new version of the A series as a mobile CPU then I would be all over it A10-5800K.

NEW RULE: When designing your own phone, you are not allowed to use components not already in use today by other smartphones:) All features must be verifiable else, I expect someone will say Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Bulldozers.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
NEW RULE: When designing your own phone, you are not allowed to use components not already in use today by other smartphones:) All features must be verifiable else, I expect someone will say Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Bulldozers.
I would not even think of saying bulldozer knowing how bad it is :giggle:

Ok then it would have to be Qualcomm S4 Pro dual core don't believe quad core necessary for windows phone OS it goes slick with just one core. :lol:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Unibody design
N8 Orange
4.0" screen that is the same resolution and tech as the 920 screen
Hardware Amp
808 Pureview camera
920 OIS
S4 Pro
2 GB Ram
2500+ milliamp battery
Graphic equalizer with dolby, thx, and/or beats presets
Nokia-esque design
webOS with ability to run android apps, or WP8 if we aren't living that far out in fantasy land

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the government typically have to approve of a cellular phone? I wonder if that would prevent a site like that from existing.

I guess it depends what the govt is looking for

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This will never fly because the components are too small and hazardous. What would be possible is a manufacturer that can customize a model to your specs like most PC makers do today. That would totally rule!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
As I said in today's "From the Forums," it will probably happen when every part of the phone becomes interchangeable, like it is in the PC (but at a more micro-level), only then can something like this start being achieved, and you'll see companies making customizable smart phones, granted, more expencive, and won't be as big as the top OEM's (Samsung, Nokia, HTC, ect.), but they'll still be there (e.g. Falcon).

Liquid cooling a cell phone anybody? xD

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So, my attempt.

820 as a base.
High quality DAC (from Galaxy S3)
Headphone Amp (8X)
Screen resolution/features (920)
Standard wireless charging (920)
Dock connector (iPhone - so i can use all the iphone accessories i have)
Camera processor (8X - for ultra fast photos)

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It shows how people value very different things, I for one value build quality very high and I have never considered carrying extra batteries or ever even had the need for it. I dont mind extra weight either. To be honest, I expect myself to find the Lumia 920 too light. The Lumia 900 felt a tad light for my taste at 160g/4,3".

When I compared my Lumia 900 with my Wife's Galaxy S2. Despite that fact that S2 is light and slim, it provides look and feel of CHEAP plastic compared to PREMIUMED GLOSSY Polycarbonate used in my White Lumia 900. That extra 30GMS weight gives feel of solid form build quality. I don't consider it heavy at all.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the government typically have to approve of a cellular phone? I wonder if that would prevent a site like that from existing.

I guess it depends what the govt is looking for
Regulation? We don't need no stinking Regulation!

But, seriously good point. Isn't the FCC just for the radio? In this case the radio will be pretty standard and will only have to be checked the first time. Any hardware changes will not be fore the radio, so it probably wouldnt be an issue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion