another hint for verizon 9XX

alterbridge86

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
With all these bits and pieces coming out I'm beginning to put things together...here's my theory:

As we all know, back with WP7 MS partnered with Nokia to provide a first class hardware/software combination. This gave Nokia payments of hundreds of millions of dollars, in exchange for some kickass hardware and quality software enhancements.

With WP8, Nokia announces their new devices, everyone oooh's and ahhh's because they are some sexy devices, but no word on carriers, cost, etc. Then a few weeks later, HTC unveils their new devices, with some surprising comments from Microsoft...that HTC is the "Premiere" launch partner for WP8, and that the HTC devices will even use the Windows Phone name in their title, ala the HTC Windows Phone 8X. This seemed puzzling at the time, since MS was paying so much money to Nokia for them to be the premiere partner.

Fast forward again, and now we have all this news about the 920 being exclusive to ATT, and the 820 being semi-exclusive with only variants appearing on other carriers. So now the picture begins to come into view. MS had to be aware of these deals Nokia made, and I think behind closed doors MS was pissed at Nokia for not having the device across all major carriers (which MS knows is absolutely necessary to achieve penetration in the iOS/Android stranglehold). As a result, MS taps HTC to be their launch partner, since the 8X and 8S are supposed to be showing up on all three major carriers that are interested in WP (and i would really hope that MS has some sort of agreement with HTC requiring them to deliver a phone on all carriers).

This frustration for MS I think lends even more credence to the rumors of the Surface Phone, and just like the Surface tablet, I think MS has lost all faith in their OEM partners in both mobile and PC. This is why they have begun to make the transition into a Devices and Software company. I am sure that when the surface phone does land, it will be available on any carrier that will take it. I doubt MS will be swayed by ATT (or any other carrier) throwing a few bucks at them, since they aren't even close to being cash strapped and desperate like Nokia and even HTC to an extent.

Thats just my theory anyway...in any event, I really hope that the HTC and Samsung devices at least make it to Verizon...I really could care less about Nokia at this point with their blatant cash grab from ATT...long live Windows Phone! :)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Microsoft needs to have input if they want their platform to succeed.

Verizon has every right to be upset if they were promised something at a certain time and then told that they now have to wait six months. They also have a right to be upset when Microsoft told them that they would LIMIT this behavior. It doesn't mean that no exclusives would exist, but that MS would try to prevent it from being more common.

As I said above too, their are suspicions that AT&T may be funneling some cash to HTC to encourage a delay in the CDMA version of the phone - same for Samsung. I would not be surprised if Verizon refuses to carry any WP8 devices this year if the manufacturers cannot deliver them phones for launch.

Because it's not just the 920. They've been told by all the manufacturers that there are "delays" for the Verizon phone despite them knowing for over six months that they were to deliver phones to Verizon. This has made the situation much worse and Verizon puts the blame on Microsoft for not ensuring that Verizon has product.

Is there some arrogance to VZW? Sure, but once again, they know Microsoft needs them for WP8 to be a success in the United States.

The rumors that I read about said the issues might be with the VZN spyware not installing properly. I hope thats not the case I wouldnt want that on my device!

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The rumors that I read about said the issues might be with the VZN spyware not installing properly. I hope thats not the case I wouldnt want that on my device!

Even though you might not want that, it might keep you from getting a WP on Verizon altogether. Then you will be stuck with a phone that has it anyway.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
With all these bits and pieces coming out I'm beginning to put things together...here's my theory:

As we all know, back with WP7 MS partnered with Nokia to provide a first class hardware/software combination. This gave Nokia payments of hundreds of millions of dollars, in exchange for some kickass hardware and quality software enhancements.

With WP8, Nokia announces their new devices, everyone oooh's and ahhh's because they are some sexy devices, but no word on carriers, cost, etc. Then a few weeks later, HTC unveils their new devices, with some surprising comments from Microsoft...that HTC is the "Premiere" launch partner for WP8, and that the HTC devices will even use the Windows Phone name in their title, ala the HTC Windows Phone 8X. This seemed puzzling at the time, since MS was paying so much money to Nokia for them to be the premiere partner.

Fast forward again, and now we have all this news about the 920 being exclusive to ATT, and the 820 being semi-exclusive with only variants appearing on other carriers. So now the picture begins to come into view. MS had to be aware of these deals Nokia made, and I think behind closed doors MS was pissed at Nokia for not having the device across all major carriers (which MS knows is absolutely necessary to achieve penetration in the iOS/Android stranglehold). As a result, MS taps HTC to be their launch partner, since the 8X and 8S are supposed to be showing up on all three major carriers that are interested in WP (and i would really hope that MS has some sort of agreement with HTC requiring them to deliver a phone on all carriers).

This frustration for MS I think lends even more credence to the rumors of the Surface Phone, and just like the Surface tablet, I think MS has lost all faith in their OEM partners in both mobile and PC. This is why they have begun to make the transition into a Devices and Software company. I am sure that when the surface phone does land, it will be available on any carrier that will take it. I doubt MS will be swayed by ATT (or any other carrier) throwing a few bucks at them, since they aren't even close to being cash strapped and desperate like Nokia and even HTC to an extent.

Thats just my theory anyway...in any event, I really hope that the HTC and Samsung devices at least make it to Verizon...I really could care less about Nokia at this point with their blatant cash grab from ATT...long live Windows Phone! :)

Your interpretation of what might be happening makes sense. Essentially there may be.a difference of opinion between Nokia ans MSFT about how to get the most penetration. Nokia seem VERY concerned about the platform and its growth, but i get the feeling that Verizon are not ready to really commit to Windows phone. The sort of cash that ATT may be throwing at Nokia is unlikely to make a difference, Nokia needs sales, not one-time payments. There is much more to this story than pettiness and emotion. I love readin Mr Macohisto's comments, but they may just be clever fiction, fed to the hungry hungry fans. Time will tell.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Your interpretation of what might be happening makes sense. Essentially there may be.a difference of opinion between Nokia ans MSFT about how to get the most penetration. Nokia seem VERY concerned about the platform and its growth, but i get the feeling that Verizon are not ready to really commit to Windows phone. The sort of cash that ATT may be throwing at Nokia is unlikely to make a difference, Nokia needs sales, not one-time payments. There is much more to this story than pettiness and emotion. I love readin Mr Macohisto's comments, but they may just be clever fiction, fed to the hungry hungry fans. Time will tell.

I look at Mr. MacPhisto's comments as one guy's opinion. A guy who really does love his Verizon service. He has a friend at Verizon. So like any opinion, there will be personal biases in them. All of us have those biases.

I imagine that this is not a matter of AT&T throwing money at Nokia. It's about AT&T committing to marketing the heck out of Nokia's phones. It's AT&T making a commitment to telling their reps to push Nokia phones. It's AT&T featuring Nokia phones in their advertisements.

AT&T and Verizon are very different philosophically. They both want to have great networks and great devices. And they both do a good job at that.

But Verizon puts their network as #1, and all of their ads reflect that. They don't do much marketing about particular devices. Sure, they do some, but not a lot. Verizon doesn't want to be dependent on a device.

AT&T focuses on having the newest and best devices. They consider themselves cutting-edge, and a lot of their marketing is based on technology. If they have an exclusive high-end device, they’ll make sure everyone knows

If you’re an OEM that needs mindshare, then AT&T is the better choice.

Would you like to have your device available on all carriers? Sure.

But if your mindshare is low, what do you need more? Product availability or product promotion?

Having it available everywhere doesn’t do much if none of the carriers will push it. And if AT&T doesn’t have an exclusive, do you think they’ll push it?

Verizon had to know all of this. I don’t really buy the idea that at point in the game they were caught by surprise, because the only way a company that size commits time and resources is if they have already come to a binding agreement.

I could believe a scenario where people at Verizon believe their own press. They may have thought it unfathomable that an OEM would actually choose not to make a phone available on Verizon without certain guarantees of promotion. After all, it’s Verizon that’s supposed to be the one that turns down OEMs, not the other way around.

7 KDZ

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
even though the 920 has been announced as a six-month exclusive, how does that have any effect on VZW releasing a 922, for instance? it isn't the same phone, right? i mean, i figure that is how they are getting around the 820 exclusivity...by carrying an 822.

i really hope that a variant of the 920 lands on VZW this year (since my contract with my regional carrier is up and they have NO interest in caring WP), but if not, I guess I'll just wait and see how this all plays out.

i really am putting a good deal of faith in what mr. macphisto is sharing with the board. just the content of what he is sharing, it feels like pretty good info to me. i know there are a few who are suspicious of it, but i really don't understand what is to gain by first creating a very complex rumor and then writing page after page of information to support and further explain it. if he IS making this stuff up, he really must not have much to do to keep him occupied. :)

Only the 920 is listed on the Nokia site as "exclusively from AT&T". The word exclusive was originally on the 820 ad, but was removed shortly after. The curent wording is:

The Nokia Lumia 920, exclusively from AT&T
The new Nokia Lumia 820, from AT&T
The new Nokia Lumia 810, from T-Mobile

Hence the 810 variant on TMO and an 822 for VZW (although obviously missing is any mention of the 822 on Nokia's site).

dhafiz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So take this as you will - I'm not saying this is in any way, shape or form a confirmed or "true" rumor, but I'm hearing from many wireless industry friends and colleagues that VZW delaying any announcement or extending their "testing" period is because of the specific provisioning that they require. Not sure if this is the "track all usage" that you have to opt out of, but either way, I've been hearing from multiple sources - who are in no way vetted, just coincidental how it's the same thing from multiple peeps across multiple locations/industries - that this is the reason we haven't seen any WP devices officially announced from VZW, and that this may be an issue moving forward with "wave 2" devices as well.

Yeah, I know, nothing new here - just relaying what I'm hearing as well.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have hands on training with Verizon WP8 devices on the 24th of October. You won't know what devices VZW its gonna have until probably a week until they launch.

If they plan to have phones available for pre-order with everyone else then I expect an announcement either tomorrow to keep their weekend free or on Sunday when pre-orders go live. Otherwise if they won't offer availability until the 29th then I expect an announcement on Monday. Any way you look at it the next 4 days will say everything if Verizon follows routine. If they don't have anything at lauch then we will get the silent treatment and we will know for sure that there is something up.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Member: Honestabebread at: 09:14 PM Today "..."

Ok H, what are you meaning by "..."? You are kinda freaking me out with that since you are a Verizon rep and have really good knowledge about whats going there.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Uh Dude companies are in the busines of making money however they see fit. "blatant cash grab from ATT. " Really? I guess that would make Alex Rodriguez' contracts with the Rangers and then the extension in 2007 a "blatant cash grab"!

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
this is my favorite thread on this whole forum. :)

i do think news will start to come out over the next few days. i can hardly believe how little info has made it to the public about what VZW will and won't have...or ****, any more Windows Phone 8 info at all.

i would say that they have kept this locked up WAY tighter than anything Apple is ever able to pull off...i mean, there were photos of the new iPhone leaked MONTHS ahead of it officially coming out...but at the same time, there's probably WAY more holes to plug for Apple, PLUS there's likely way more folks digging for that information than they are for WP8.

still...it is impressive how tight a lid has been kept on all this.

unless on the 29th MS reveals absolutely no new information. :)

Last edited:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
On the (somehwat dark) bright side, depending on how long (if at all) this delay is, there may be a 920 variant released when the other WP8 devices get released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes