Sprint getting a WP8 device?

GG916

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
yes i got out of my contract without paying ETF since they discontinued the arrive and didnt even support it 2 years. Im so happy to be going to at&t which i hate but its true they always have the best and newest phones

Excellent news! My contract is up March 2013 but I'm not waiting. I had planned to argue to not pay an ETF since they are not supporting the phone or the operating system (they don't send out available updates :mad:). I know that argument is valid, I'm glad to see they agree! I plan to shop between AT&T and Verizon to look for the best phone for me, and the best monthly plan. Thanks for the info!

G

Arthur Wellesley

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Outside of sprint and verizon, the rest of the CDMA carriers in the USA combined would barely equal the number of subscribers T-Mobile alone has. Sprint is treated the way it is because of its lack of support of Windows Phone. They released one device, then made it their poster child for their unwanted phone buy back program, and are the only major carrier not to voice support for Windows Phone 8. Why should anyone on this site like them? CDMA may have a decent subscriber base in the USA, but out side of the US only China uses CDMA and it isn't even structured the same as CDMA in the US. The rest of the world is GSM. Even LTE that both Sprint and Verizon are adopting is an evolution of the GSM standard.

My Sprint CDMA Phone works well in China. Sprint's CDMA Phone gets Internet & Facebook in China as well.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
But people think CDMA is not capable of doing talk and web at the same time. Of course they would be right if you encrypt and code CDMA devices as if it was 2005 with 256 bit encryption. That's where nearly all CDMA carriers would not touch an under coded and under encrypted WP8 device for their networks. Sure LTE capabilities is nice, but when the major CDMA carriers already have made their networks ready for SVDO (which is 1X Advanced and EVDO revision B combined, thanks to 512bit encryption), they want devices that come coded properly in the OS, and WP8 is coded with obsolete CDMA encryption.

I want Alan F and Aaron Michael Rowe and the pro WP/anti-CDMA (more like anti-Sprint ala HPCentral) to get to the bottom of this, rather than spend time writing juvenille reports about their disgust for what David Owens said early in the year (for which he is still correct as Windows Phone has dropped share below 3% in the US Market, and other Anti-Sprint reporting which is so similar to what HPCentral and their allies wrote before the demise of WebOS).

I challenge you, WPCentral. I challenge you to get to the bottom on why there is no WP devices on CDMA prepaid networks as well.

I am not getting my hopes high on either one, because the agenda is way obvious. Bash Sprint, and bash CDMA although is dominant in the US and China..

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
In the same way employees will not talk about the OG Evo, the Epic 4G, or many of the other devices which have reached the EOL status. Is no different with devices on other networks.

I just noticed there is so much Anti-Sprint tension is not even funny, and even if Sprint would have joined the WP8 launch with two devices, and decides to carry a dozen more, none of you Anti-Sprint people would be happy with them, even if they carry the most high end devices like the Lumias from Nokia.

If Sprint did that, I guarantee there would be some love sent their way. The fact is that Sprint isn't doing that, and history has shown that they would never do that, so people are understandably skeptical about WP8 in Sprint's future.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
its so hard to leave unlimited data BUT when I crunch the numbers, I use more wifi anyways so... I am no longer playing the waiting game with Sprint. So long sprint/Softbank

Last edited:

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
But what about the other CDMA carriers which didn't even carry WP7 devices? If the dislike for a carrier for just carrying one device because there were no other choices for CDMA devices, why not rant US cellular which carried the same device Sprint had, and why not go after the regional CDMA postpaid carriers, and all the prepaid market outside of T-Mobile. Unless the ones behind this site have a logical reason on why the juvenille bashing on reports can give me and the rest of the CDMA community a LOGICAL reason why only bash Sprint, NONE of you would change my mind.

You still have to explain why WPCentral has not written juvenile articles about why most CDMA carriers in the US have not gotten one WP7 or WP8 device. It's about prejudice, and I am starting to believe some of you are former WebOS users still blaming Sprint for the death of WebOS which will never blame HP, which brings me back to a Microsoft and their Team Windows Phone only wanting to code and encrypt the 2005 way rather than the 2012 way.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
But what about the other CDMA carriers which didn't even carry WP7 devices? If the dislike for a carrier for just carrying one device because there were no other choices for CDMA devices, why not rant US cellular which carried the same device Sprint had, and why not go after the regional CDMA postpaid carriers, and all the prepaid market outside of T-Mobile. Unless the ones behind this site have a logical reason on why the juvenille bashing on reports can give me and the rest of the CDMA community a LOGICAL reason why only bash Sprint, NONE of you would change my mind.

You still have to explain why WPCentral has not written juvenile articles about why most CDMA carriers in the US have not gotten one WP7 or WP8 device. It's about prejudice, and I am starting to believe some of you are former WebOS users still blaming Sprint for the death of WebOS which will never blame HP, which brings me back to a Microsoft and their Team Windows Phone only wanting to code and encrypt the 2005 way rather than the 2012 way.

Good point.... And I blame HP not Sprint.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know who all of these CDMA carriers are that you are talking about, but in the US, Verizon and Sprint comprise about 95% of the CDMA market, and both of them carried WP7 devices, and Verizon will be carrying more than one WP8 device.

None of that nonsense about 256-bit vs 512-bit encryption matters in the least with regards to Sprint deciding to not carry the first round of WP8 devices at launch.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
i hope sprint gets onboard for wp8 and beyond. not only for windows phone but also the consumers. im on att but it sucks that sprint wp users have to jump ship for windows phone, especially those who have been with sprint for many years

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow. An actual living, breathing CDMA ****** in 2012. I thought they all went extinct along with Treonauts in 2007!

What next, a TDMA ******? Perhaps an Ericsson flipphone user?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sprint hit a record there.

And it is a bit amusing to have privacy touted as a tech advantage, only to read that sort of news about it. Propaganda, meet reality! :D

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
It's about the current encryption allowing CDMA carriers to have the same thing GSM carriers have for years, and how many think SVDO is a myth for CDMA!

Also, if you mean Verizon and Sprint account for nearly 95% of the postpaid CDMA market, you are failing to acknowledge US Cellular, C Spire, nTelos, and Credo For about 25% of the post paid CDMA subscriptions, while CDMA carries about 65-75% of the prepaid side of things, where most of the numbers go to Virgin Mobile, Boost, MetroPCS, and The CDMA services of Straight Talk, and I am not forgetting smaller carriers that add to the numbers.

Combine them in total for lines, and CDMA has about 2/3 of the cell phone market in the US (including Puerto Rico and USVI), which makes it two times bigger than GSM based lines. This might not be the norm internationally, but this has been the norm for many years in the US Market, whether WP supporters in the USA who act as CDMA (more like Sprint) haters like the facts or not.

Call me a CDMA ****** if you wish, but I speak with facts, not with unresearched rants, and sooner or later more people will point at the lack of real support for CDMA as the main reason Windows Phone has been a major FLOP in sales in their home market, The United States of America.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So the fact that Sprint came out late with a WP compared to the others. Did nothing to support it despite the reviews it got from it's users. And removed it completely in store and online, has nothing to do with some of the feelings towards Sprint?

And before you call me a hater. I've been with Sprint 14 years. If they gave me options, I would be glad to stay. But since they aren't even a blip on the WP radar right now, I'm leaving.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
What's all this blather about "lack of support for CDMA?"

Both Sprint and Verizon got launch-day WP devices (the Arrive and Trophy, respectively).

The problem wasn't that WP devices didn't get "real support" on CDMA -- it's that the CDMA carriers didn't deliver a decent customer experience. $299 on contract for the Arrive, followed up by a mailer encouraging you to trade it in for another phone six months after the "launch" isn't good support.

If you went into a Verizon store looking for a Trophy, chances were that it wasn't even shown in the store, and they didn't have them in stock -- they'd have to mail-order it for you.

Sprint was offered Nokia and Samsung WP devices as well, and turned them down flat.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
What's all this blather about "lack of support for CDMA?"

Both Sprint and Verizon got launch-day WP devices (the Arrive and Trophy, respectively)

That's simply not true. The Trophy didn't come out on Verizon until May of 2011, six months after the WP7 launch. The Arrive launched in March. CDMA support, to my knowledge, wasn't even there until the NoDo update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo