VZW WP8 Update

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First off, thank you everyone for all the great 411. You guys are awesome. And in your awesomeness, I was hoping you may be able to answer a question for me. Basically, I really want to get the Lumia 920, as I just am in love with that phone after playing with it at the Microsoft store. Problem is, I am on Verizon, and I would rather poke my eyes out with a butter knife than go back to AT&T. I suppose I could wait until March to see what 920 variant hits VZN, but I am not a patient person. So my question, if I get the Lumia 822, will I be able to purchase the next 920 variant when/if it comes out and simply swap in my SIM card from the 822 and be good to go?
It would have to be a pretty sharp butter knife. Have you ever cut an eyeball??? When I was in paramedic school, we cut cow eyes open, with brand new scalpels, and even with those, it was some WORK to cut them babies open!

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
First off, thank you everyone for all the great 411. You guys are awesome. And in your awesomeness, I was hoping you may be able to answer a question for me. Basically, I really want to get the Lumia 920, as I just am in love with that phone after playing with it at the Microsoft store. Problem is, I am on Verizon, and I would rather poke my eyes out with a butter knife than go back to AT&T. I suppose I could wait until March to see what 920 variant hits VZN, but I am not a patient person. So my question, if I get the Lumia 822, will I be able to purchase the next 920 variant when/if it comes out and simply swap in my SIM card from the 822 and be good to go?
Yes

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
So all management from store manager on up have to carry a Windows Phone now. Who said Verizon wasn't dedicated to the platform??

At my local store, each employee has been "asked" to carry one and be familiar with it. Most of Verizon's corporate sales staff is also being "asked" to use a WP8 device.

Verizon has done a much better job with it than AT&T. Been to a few VZW stores and in each one the staff are well informed in regards to the phone. Also been to a couple of AT&T stores. Nothing other than shells on display and the employees were clueless (and not just about WP8).

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is really excited about Windows Phone. Can't get on the intranet without something hyping Windows Phone attacking you.

I really hope the enthusiasm continues to when Verizon truly has a top-shelf flagship Windows Phone for consumers - many are waiting to pull the trigger until then. I know the 8X/822 are nice, but they are not quite a Nokia 920 - and when you are stuck with these phones for two years, few enthusiasts will settle for 'good enough' when 'great' is just around the corner. Hopefully the SAMSUNG ATIV ODYSSEY will fill that void, or if that is disappointing lets hope the exclusivity with AT&T on the 920 expires soon... On the other hand, hopefully less picky consumers are buying the phones currently available given the push.

Would also like to see Verizon actively marketing Windows 8 LTE Tablets with the same gusto.

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
At my local store, each employee has been "asked" to carry one and be familiar with it. Most of Verizon's corporate sales staff is also being "asked" to use a WP8 device.

Verizon has done a much better job with it than AT&T. Been to a few VZW stores and in each one the staff are well informed in regards to the phone. Also been to a couple of AT&T stores. Nothing other than shells on display and the employees were clueless (and not just about WP8).

I went into a local Verizon store the other night. They only had a dummie 8X on display, they didn't have an 822 on display but one of the two guys working there had a working 822 and let me play around with it. He didn't seem too interested in the phone and kept trying to sell me on an Android, though I was clearly interested in the WP8 devices. While I didn't get to play with the 8X I was very impressed with the 822. I currently have a Trophy, and anyone who is concerned that the 822 looks like a Trophy -- don't be. The phones are nothing alike.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade for until the end of February so I'll be waiting to buy my next device but I would be happy with the 822 if Verizon doesn't come out with another device. This actually brings up an interesting question. Verizon was late coming out with the Trophy and I bought mine a couple days after they were released, which was June 2011. This means that probably most people who bought the Trophy are not eligible to upgrade their phone yet, therefore a lot of Verizon customers who would be interested in the new WP8 phones won't buy them now as the wait for their current contract to expire. I hope this doesn't negatively impact Verizon's commitment to WP8 devices if they fail to move a lot of phones in the first two-three months. I could see them cancelling future devices.

Aliandren

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that is on their minds as everyone is expecting a lot of new blood in the WP user base. Also some people will just pay the difference.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This might be off topic but I'm posting here so hopefully the Verizon folks see this. Does anyone actually know why Verizon decided to disable group MMS for WP8? This is pretty frustrating for me, and it's one of the things holding me back from upgrading. Right now there are no real alternatives.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not eligible for an upgrade for until the end of February so I'll be waiting to buy my next device but I would be happy with the 822 if Verizon doesn't come out with another device. This actually brings up an interesting question. Verizon was late coming out with the Trophy and I bought mine a couple days after they were released, which was June 2011. This means that probably most people who bought the Trophy are not eligible to upgrade their phone yet, therefore a lot of Verizon customers who would be interested in the new WP8 phones won't buy them now as the wait for their current contract to expire. I hope this doesn't negatively impact Verizon's commitment to WP8 devices if they fail to move a lot of phones in the first two-three months. I could see them cancelling future devices.
There aarealso peolple like me. My step-son is on my family plan with a four year old flip phone and no desire for a smart phone, and I have no desire to pay for a data plan for a 32 year old. So I used his upgrade to upgrade my Trophy.

I was going to uupgrade his phone, then switch the numbers, then when the contract was up on mine, switch him back to a flip, but I discovered that Verizon changed their policy, allowing you to use the upgrade of any phone on your plan. Saved me the cost of a few months of an extra data plan plus the cost of the data controls I was going to put on it.

DDon'tworry about Verizon dropping the line. They're all in and for good reason. Apple is trying to use iPhone to muscle appleTV into homes with Verizon's FIOS, as Google is doing with their system as well. They want that third ecosystem to be strong to help flex it against rising iPhone subsidies. Have you ever seen a Trophy ad? How many Lumia 822 ads have you seen?

No worries... They're in all the way this time. Finally. Our loyalty has paid off.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
This might be off topic but I'm posting here so hopefully the Verizon folks see this. Does anyone actually know why Verizon decided to disable group MMS for WP8? This is pretty frustrating for me, and it's one of the things holding me back from upgrading. Right now there are no real alternatives.

WHAT? Seriously? Everytime I think that Verizon finally gets it, I hear something like this. Arrugh..

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
is this actually an issue? I group text all the time on my 8X and it works infinitely better than on an Android phone.

But it doesn't keep all the replies in one place, right? And then the conversation gets broken up into different one on one threads.

I guess not everyone uses this feature. I don't even use it that much, but I know that some people do. For me, it's the principle of it more than anything. I really don't care if it's still better than Android. It's a feature that worked perfectly on WP7.5, but Verizon saw fit to disable it on WP8 for no good reason. It's aggravating that they have control over OS features like this. What else do they have control over? Can they disable anything just because they feel like it?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Its Verizon so honestly we could probably change whatever we want and Microsoft would deal with it because we're throwing a stupid amount of resources at the platform.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@Honestabebread - Windows phone needs support from Verizon. Hoping for an awesome Verizon-exclusive Nokia device in early 2013. I know everyone hates carrier exclusives, but I think that if Verizon had a 922, 930 or similar with some cool tech that they'd push it harder than if they just got the same device as Nokia. Do you agree?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
@Honestabebread - Windows phone needs support from Verizon. Hoping for an awesome Verizon-exclusive Nokia device in early 2013. I know everyone hates carrier exclusives, but I think that if Verizon had a 922, 930 or similar with some cool tech that they'd push it harder than if they just got the same device as Nokia. Do you agree?
Verizon is really pushing WP8 even if you don't feel it walking into a retail store. The phones are everywhere internally, have literally been forced on the management team (all store managers have 822s and all district managers have 8Xs) to break the superstition, and there HAS to be a minimum of 4 sales reps carrying Windows phones in the stores now. Its a big deal.

My old store manager made fun of me all the time for carrying a Trophy and was pissed when they handed her a Lumia. Now she loves it and doesn't miss her iPhone a bit. My old DM says his 8X is "alright" but he's a massive Apple ****** so its still progress.

The overall internal rresponse has been tremendous but its a work in progress. Especially training the Alltel employees that Windows Phone does not = the Moto Q9C

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)