VZW WP8 Update

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Talked to my DM a little more. HTC 8X and Nokia 822 at launch. The pictures of the 822 are misleading. He said it's styled like the Trophy but with a bigger screen.

Also, lol@ winning guy thinking a CDMA Samsung phone has good reception

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So to me it sounds like Verizon's first phones will be the 8X (stylish) and Ativ S (solid reception). I don't think it would be the 822 because if it's like most Nokias, it is both stylish AND solid reception. So maybe the 822 is being pushed back a little.

As for Verizon getting a quad-core 9xx in February, that's great news. The difference in performance may not be that big, but "quad-core" on a spec sheet does help to sell a product. This also allows AT&T long enough with the 920 where they will feel comfortable promoting the heck out of it until Christmas.

The quad-core also allows Verizon to charge full price for the new phone at around the time that AT&T will be cutting the price of the 920.

I know that many consumers don't like it, but if you're an OEM without much mindshare, it's SMART to have exclusivity because of the promotions and commitments that come along with it from the carriers.

It'll be the 8X and 822. He already said there would be no Samsung at the training.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Talked to my DM a little more. HTC 8X and Nokia 822 at launch. The pictures of the 822 are misleading. He said it's styled like the Trophy but with a bigger screen.

Also, lol@ winning guy thinking a CDMA Samsung phone has good reception

Is Samsung really that bad on CDMA?

I know my HTC sucks for reception. But I'm on GSM.

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm still hearing grumblings from a source of mine that a 9xx Verizon variant could hit as early as November 12.

Any idea of the Verizon wp8 launch day? I've also heard maybe 11/2

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Read through some android forums about Samsung phones on Verizon. They consistently have poorer reception than Motorola and HTC. If you're in a good area you won't have problems, but for those in a poorer area like me Samsung is something to be avoided.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestabebread and Mr. Macphisto: What are the chances of Verizon allowing early upgrades to WP8 around the holidays? My upgrade is in March, but I am hoping I can get moved up to around Thanksgiving or Christmas. I haven't called customer support and talked to them, I might try this week though.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I doubt Verizon will be very accommodating as far as early upgrades. I think with a lackluster 822 from Nokia I'm better off waiting till May. I can still get an 8x if that's still the best available.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

rollo132

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to display my ignorance..... but does the absence of the ATIV during training mean it won't be on the shelves? We aren't talking about Android handsets, with various skins and different features, the OS should be pretty consistant across all OEMs, right?

Just wondering, without a 9xx on Verizon, I would really like to compare the 8X and the ATIV S.

BTW, thanks honestabebread for the great info! I'm sure there are people who would be none too happy that you are sharing this stuff with us, so thanks for taking the risk!

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestabebread and Mr. Macphisto: What are the chances of Verizon allowing early upgrades to WP8 around the holidays? My upgrade is in March, but I am hoping I can get moved up to around Thanksgiving or Christmas. I haven't called customer support and talked to them, I might try this week though.

I highly, highly doubt this. VZW does not bend rules, ever. However I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of Trophy loyalty credit. For example, anyone with a Droid X2 or Droid 3 gets $100 off the new line of Razrs. We do pretty well working with the OEMs in that regard. Another example is when the S3 launched you got $50 off a Sammy tablet. I have heard we may have a similar promo on Black Friday where you get $100 off of a W8 tab when buying a WP8. We'll just have to see. I'm bumming I wasted my upgrade on the Intuition. Love the phone but I had idea the 8X was coming so quickly.

EDIT: I can't stress enough how important VzW is making WP8 sound internally. We haven't had this level of hands on training since the iPhone 4. All retail employees are getting 4-5 hours of mandatory hands on training. Serious business here.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I highly, highly doubt this. VZW does not bend rules, ever. However I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of Trophy loyalty credit. For example, anyone with a Droid X2 or Droid 3 gets $100 off the new line of Razrs. We do pretty well working with the OEMs in that regard. Another example is when the S3 launched you got $50 off a Sammy tablet. I have heard we may have a similar promo on Black Friday where you get $100 off of a W8 tab when buying a WP8. We'll just have to see. I'm bumming I wasted my upgrade on the Intuition. Love the phone but I had idea the 8X was coming so quickly.

EDIT: I can't stress enough how important VzW is making WP8 sound internally. We haven't had this level of hands on training since the iPhone 4. All retail employees are getting 4-5 hours of mandatory hands on training. Serious business here.
Damn that is a lot

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Samsungs and older HTCs like the Trophy and Thunderbolt have awful reception. Motorola and Apple are the best hands down. new HTCs and LG are good but not on Motos level. Our Casio smartphone seems to do well too but it's an awful phone otherwise.

My DM said that the Nokia he tried had the best reception of any phone, hands down. This is going to be a huge selling point in my market.

giper54

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsungs and older HTCs like the Trophy and Thunderbolt have awful reception. Motorola and Apple are the best hands down. new HTCs and LG are good but not on Motos level. Our Casio smartphone seems to do well too but it's an awful phone otherwise.

My DM said that the Nokia he tried had the best reception of any phone, hands down. This is going to be a huge selling point in my market.

I have read from other forums that the Rezound has great LTE radios for reception. I can't say the same when I briefly had an HTC desire or one x. I hope that changes for the 8 X. I may pick up a Lumia 920 just for the camera and offline gps navigation.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you about the Trophy however. I get very good reception and the reception is every bit as good as my Droid X and reception is one thing Motorola is very good at.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Motorola and Nokia both understand radio technology, antennae etc. They have always done well in those areas. I know they did a lot to the antenna in the 4S and 5, but my iphone 4 is not very good at being a phone.

I am a Nokia ******, but I have to say I am having a hard time getting excited about any device with 800 x 480 resolution. The wireless charging is nice, but I have to agree that the 9xx is all that I'd be interested in for a 2-year. In saying that, it'll (822) be fine for pictures, Skype, angry birds etc.

If I wasn't going to buy the 920 from ATT, I'd wait for the 922 over the 8X, even if it took a couple of months. The OIS, extra storage, super-sensitive screen and wireless charging are worth the wait.

Hopefully the rumors of the 922 pan out for those waiting.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It is hard to know what to believe these days when it comes to the 9xx and Verizon. I have heard rumored device a lot better then the 920 is coming to Verizon in Feb or March as an exclusive and we will be stuck with the 822 till then.

Personally, my current phone, the HTC Rezound, is a good phone, but is having issues. I am considering buying a a phone at full price just till we get a high end Lumia phone in about 4 months if it is true. I will wait to use my 2 year upgrade at that point.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For those who may be interested, the 920 is up for preorder on Best Buy's web site for just under $150. Just wish Verizon would get off their *** and announce WP8 devices.

JamesAD60

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
It nice the reps are getting 4-5 hours of training on WP8 phones. Now when a customer asks about them, they can show them off instead of redirecting us to Android phones. Last year I was lucking to have a Microsoft Store in my area. The Verizon store reps made me feel stupid for wanting a Trophy.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

JamesAD60

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
People keep knocking the 822, then talk about the 920 and hoped for 922, which I'm sure will arrive sooner or later. If you put that question aside and compare the 822 to the 820 & 810, the curvy design of the 822 is my favorite. It has clean lines and the distinctive long rectangular camera, running lengthwise. When good pictures at various angles, and a color option or two, come out, I'm sure more people will warm up to it. At least those who aren't holding out for a 922.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb