VZW WP8 Update

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
For those who may be interested, the 920 is up for preorder on Best Buy's web site for just under $150. Just wish Verizon would get off their *** and announce WP8 devices.

Since only Best Buy has started pre orders that means AT&T will likely start soon and I would hope that Verizon will start at the same time. I'm assuming best buys price will be a little cheaper then going to a carriers store.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You can tell how much Verizon wants to push a phone by how long it stays on the landing page and where it ranks when you go to the Buy a Phone page. It is still prominently featuring the iPhone 5 (although the Droid Razr HD and Razr HD Maxx are now on the top and I can't see them kicking their premium branding - Droid - for WP8 for at least a few weeks to a month). They feature (and sell) more Motorola Droids than other phone/brand (other than the iPhone).

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I highly, highly doubt this. VZW does not bend rules, ever. However I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of Trophy loyalty credit. For example, anyone with a Droid X2 or Droid 3 gets $100 off the new line of Razrs. We do pretty well working with the OEMs in that regard. Another example is when the S3 launched you got $50 off a Sammy tablet. I have heard we may have a similar promo on Black Friday where you get $100 off of a W8 tab when buying a WP8. We'll just have to see. I'm bumming I wasted my upgrade on the Intuition. Love the phone but I had idea the 8X was coming so quickly.

EDIT: I can't stress enough how important VzW is making WP8 sound internally. We haven't had this level of hands on training since the iPhone 4. All retail employees are getting 4-5 hours of mandatory hands on training. Serious business here.

If you're close to your phone upgrade, Verizon sometimes will bend the rules but usually under threat. As you near the end of the contract, the buyout shrinks. Many competing carriers do have programs where they will pay the buyout up to a certain dollar amount. Last time I checked I had heard T-Mobile would reimburse up to $75. Not sure on AT&T. The smartphone rates are high, though, but if its close enough and you're not on a bottom rung plan, they might flex a little. But I've never seen them do it more than two months out.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you about the Trophy however. I get very good reception and the reception is every bit as good as my Droid X and reception is one thing Motorola is very good at.

You must live in a good area for reception. I've had several replacement Trophys and none of them have been as good as the Motorola Droid I had prior. I also have an HTC Rezound and it is head and shoulders above the Trophy in reception. Where I'm at the Trophy and my wife's iphone 4 are horrible for reception.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Honestabebread and Mr. Macphisto. I've seen a number for Verizon's loyalty department on another forum. I will call them and see what they will do for me. As much as I want to get a WP8 in November I can't see buying one for full retail, but that certainly is tempting.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're close to your phone upgrade, Verizon sometimes will bend the rules but usually under threat. As you near the end of the contract, the buyout shrinks. Many competing carriers do have programs where they will pay the buyout up to a certain dollar amount. Last time I checked I had heard T-Mobile would reimburse up to $75. Not sure on AT&T. The smartphone rates are high, though, but if its close enough and you're not on a bottom rung plan, they might flex a little. But I've never seen them do it more than two months out.

There used to be a point at which we were able to upgrade customers about a month early, but as their reps no longer get credit for upgrades that take place before the upgrade day, sups no longer have any incentive to kill their own numbers and approve early upgrades except in extreme circumstances. (And no, a potential disconnect isn't necessarily an extreme circumstance. I'm thinking more like rep-at-fault-for-massive-damages type circumstances.)

There was a lot of abuse among both customers and reps when we had that leverage, and reps were giving away the farm to get their numbers. Honestly, I remember about a year ago where sups and their sups alike were actively advocating to upgrade under any circumstance possible, and giving away accessories all over the place, and I found myself wondering how long that could possibly last. And of course, every forum in existance had threads on how to push reps for early upgrades or freebees and the whole thing was a mess.

So like an addict, they cut us off cold turkey. Can't say I'm surprised. I really wish there was an in-between, but there isn't anymore. I'm sorry. :( Like many great things in this world, the few ruin it for the many.

Such threads are still out there with people discussing how to work reps for extras. Most of 'em seem to realize we've been cut off, but with the way they keep asking, you can see why things happened the way they did. Heck, there's still people begging for warranty replacements over and over hoping we'll give them the latest phone for free. If one gets through, it's rediculously rare, yet it gets posted all over the 'net like "OMG VZW GIVES OUT FREE PHONES!!!" So in general, it just doesn't happen anymore. I haven't seen a replacment like this over here in years.

Anywho, on the subject of great antennas... the way my Trophy hangs on to the nearby towers, I'd have to say it's more tenacious than Naruto, and my house is the very model of low-signal. Samsungs...aren't bad. I wouldn't rule one out if it had a pretty-enough screen. (See: Galaxy S3's screen) I'm hoping the rumors of that 922 are true. I would love a huge and pretty OLED on a Windows Phone for once!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
There used to be a point at which we were able to upgrade customers about a month early, but as their reps no longer get credit for upgrades that take place before the upgrade day, sups no longer have any incentive to kill their own numbers and approve early upgrades except in extreme circumstances. (And no, a potential disconnect isn't necessarily an extreme circumstance. I'm thinking more like rep-at-fault-for-massive-damages type circumstances.)

There was a lot of abuse among both customers and reps when we had that leverage, and reps were giving away the farm to get their numbers. Honestly, I remember about a year ago where sups and their sups alike were actively advocating to upgrade under any circumstance possible, and giving away accessories all over the place, and I found myself wondering how long that could possibly last. And of course, every forum in existance had threads on how to push reps for early upgrades or freebees and the whole thing was a mess.

So like an addict, they cut us off cold turkey. Can't say I'm surprised. I really wish there was an in-between, but there isn't anymore. I'm sorry. :( Like many great things in this world, the few ruin it for the many.

Such threads are still out there with people discussing how to work reps for extras. Most of 'em seem to realize we've been cut off, but with the way they keep asking, you can see why things happened the way they did. Heck, there's still people begging for warranty replacements over and over hoping we'll give them the latest phone for free. If one gets through, it's rediculously rare, yet it gets posted all over the 'net like "OMG VZW GIVES OUT FREE PHONES!!!" So in general, it just doesn't happen anymore. I haven't seen a replacment like this over here in years.

Anywho, on the subject of great antennas... the way my Trophy hangs on to the nearby towers, I'd have to say it's more tenacious than Naruto, and my house is the very model of low-signal. Samsungs...aren't bad. I wouldn't rule one out if it had a pretty-enough screen. (See: Galaxy S3's screen) I'm hoping the rumors of that 922 are true. I would love a huge and pretty OLED on a Windows Phone for once!

Thanks for the info. Most of my purchasing has been done through the corporate sales guy I know, so he's always had a way to slip things through. I got an upgrade in store early a little over three years ago, but I only had about a month to go and I upgraded my data plan to go with it.

I don't understand the people who think the Trophy is bad at reception or even a crap phone. Mine has been solid. Sure, it's a pretty generic looking phone, but it works well enough, has good reception, and is snappy. I still get things done on it faster than my brother does on his Razr Maxx, though his battery life does kill mine. That's my only complaint about the Trophy, the small battery capacity at 1300mAh. 1600 would have been much better.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Most of my purchasing has been done through the corporate sales guy I know, so he's always had a way to slip things through. I got an upgrade in store early a little over three years ago, but I only had about a month to go and I upgraded my data plan to go with it.

I don't understand the people who think the Trophy is bad at reception or even a crap phone. Mine has been solid. Sure, it's a pretty generic looking phone, but it works well enough, has good reception, and is snappy. I still get things done on it faster than my brother does on his Razr Maxx, though his battery life does kill mine. That's my only complaint about the Trophy, the small battery capacity at 1300mAh. 1600 would have been much better.

Purchase the extended "3500 Mah" battery on Amazon. Im sure it's not really 3500 Mah but it does last a lot longer. I can get through a work day with heavy use. The OEM battery is a joke...

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't have much issue with the battery. It lasts me through the day, which is good enough most of the time. Only time I can really say I had trouble was during a long train trip in which my husband had first dibbs on the outlet in our room. My phone still hung on, if by a thread, overnight until I was able to charge it again. My husband's MAXX, well, had a huge battery. 'nuff said.

Recently I aquired a USB battery pack... Would have been a lot more useful on the trip.

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
@honestabebread; @Mr. MacPhisto

kind of a stupid question considering there are bigger fish to fry...but is VZW gonna offer more colors on the 8x? I want the California Blue...but wife wants the Limelight Yellow. Also, can you confirm it is 16gb? If it is 8gb...non starter.

Oh and i talked to Verizon at Sept 28 and the said due to me being a loyal customer for 10 years, that they dont see a problem for me to upgrade early (due for upgrade in Jan...). Just said i couldnt be moving to an iphone 5....anything else was fair game.

Hopefully the person i call and talk to in Nov is that way....

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
spoke with a VZW tech support agent today and he did inform me that they will have several windows phones by the end of the year. he said that certain phones are in testing right now, referring to the htc 8x, but nothing is confirmed as he couldnt state the obvious. he seemed excited for the new phones, and also said that although the 822 is getting mediocre attention, he loved it. said it felt solid, and that it was a great device. there is no doubt in my mind VZW will have more windows phones coming here real soon.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
@honestabebread; @Mr. MacPhisto

kind of a stupid question considering there are bigger fish to fry...but is VZW gonna offer more colors on the 8x? I want the California Blue...but wife wants the Limelight Yellow. Also, can you confirm it is 16gb? If it is 8gb...non starter.

Oh and i talked to Verizon at Sept 28 and the said due to me being a loyal customer for 10 years, that they dont see a problem for me to upgrade early (due for upgrade in Jan...). Just said i couldnt be moving to an iphone 5....anything else was fair game.

Hopefully the person i call and talk to in Nov is that way....

I have no ideas on colors. We do know it is 16gb. There were a lot of places that listed the Trophy as 8GB and that was incorrect. I think the 822 is 8gb with microSD expansion available.

It's very possible we might see the colors not all hit at the same time.

Glad to hear you can upgrade early. My upgrade is due in middle December, so I have thought about giving it a go at one of the stores if my contact is not around at the time.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
spoke with a VZW tech support agent today and he did inform me that they will have several windows phones by the end of the year. he said that certain phones are in testing right now, referring to the htc 8x, but nothing is confirmed as he couldnt state the obvious. he seemed excited for the new phones, and also said that although the 822 is getting mediocre attention, he loved it. said it felt solid, and that it was a great device. there is no doubt in my mind VZW will have more windows phones coming here real soon.

They're still going full bore with it. They do not have everything they want to carry, but are getting more phones coming their way. As I said earlier, still hearing they will get the Nokia Quad-core exclusively and they are trying for it sooner rather than later. No idea on timeline, but I expect them to have four phones in their lineup by mid-September. It might just be the 822, 8S, 8X, and ATIV S, but I have heard there may be a surprise coming after the official WP8 launch.

Hints that there is something only VZW will be getting and it's hush-hush in the company. Could it be the Nokia Quad? Or the HTC Quad?

Been told that we should expect the pricing we've seen from AT&T and lower, so 8X @ $99 and 822 probably at $79. 8S would probably slot at $49.

But Verizon wants a premium handset. The ATIV S has been delayed, but not sure to when. So I'm guessing the surprise is a premium handset yet to be announced that is exclusive to Verizon. No idea on the maker or the specs, but that is the talk from what I've heard.

Verizon is a lot calmer right now after initially being very upset with Nokia and MS. Things have smoothed over and they got something that made them very happy. So expect the big Verizon WP8 push to be apparent November and December.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
The ATIV S has been delayed, but not sure to when. So I'm guessing the surprise is a premium handset yet to be announced that is exclusive to Verizon. No idea on the maker or the specs, but that is the talk from what I've heard

Wait what...when did this happen? Sort of ignored this thread as an AT&T user but I am bummed as amazon has 64gb cards on sale for $43.99!

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
They're still going full bore with it. They do not have everything they want to carry, but are getting more phones coming their way. As I said earlier, still hearing they will get the Nokia Quad-core exclusively and they are trying for it sooner rather than later. No idea on timeline, but I expect them to have four phones in their lineup by mid-September. It might just be the 822, 8S, 8X, and ATIV S, but I have heard there may be a surprise coming after the official WP8 launch.

Hints that there is something only VZW will be getting and it's hush-hush in the company. Could it be the Nokia Quad? Or the HTC Quad?

Been told that we should expect the pricing we've seen from AT&T and lower, so 8X @ $99 and 822 probably at $79. 8S would probably slot at $49.

But Verizon wants a premium handset. The ATIV S has been delayed, but not sure to when. So I'm guessing the surprise is a premium handset yet to be announced that is exclusive to Verizon. No idea on the maker or the specs, but that is the talk from what I've heard.

Verizon is a lot calmer right now after initially being very upset with Nokia and MS. Things have smoothed over and they got something that made them very happy. So expect the big Verizon WP8 push to be apparent November and December.
Well, I was really hoping for a 920ish device from Nokia. I guess I'll have to see all the options and decide from there. My main push for the end of the year is the 100$ gift card I'd get with switching to Verizon. However, because of a personal tragedy, I might not be able to afford the phone now until after the new year. If that's the case, I can wait for a flagship phone from Verizon. $100 gift card is nice, but I could live without it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb