VZW WP8 Update

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is about leverage. They like WP8 because it gives them more leverage with Apple. Android is not a power issue, but a money issue. There's a lot more cost to support Android than iPhone or, likely, WP8.

Verizon's preference would be to see Android and WP8 at about equal marketshare and iPhone eliminated from the market entirely. That's not realistic, just what they'd like to see. Apparently AT&T and T-Mobile feel the same, for entirely different reasons. The carriers severely dislike Apple. If the iPhone ever sees significant drop in marketshare, look for carriers to stop selling them or allowing new iPhones on their networks. I'm serious on this.

It's another reason why VZW is interested in BB10. They'd be ecstatic if BB10 recovered RIM, Android continued to do well, WP8 grows substantially, and iPhone ends up in fourth place in 3-4 years. As I said, not expected, but they'd love it. They hate Apple. And apparently they are not alone in the cell industry. I think it's only a matter of time before the carriers feel able to make demands of Apple and, if Apple does not comply and allow iPhone to be treated just like any other phone then they'll get dropped. Apple is in a position of strength right now, but the Galaxy S3 showed it is possible to beat them head to head. Verizon wants to see more of that.

Still doesn't say anything positive towards the consumer with verizon. And lack of a 920 type phone doesn't help. They were a possibility with the sprint contract being up. But from what I've read in this thread and again lack of 920, don't think they'll be an option for me. But I'm glad they are getting some WP8 options for those that are on verizon. Hopefully it will help the brand grow.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok Honestabebread you're starting to win me over I just still on the edge. So I'm just wondering what you think makes the 8x so good?

Sure, it's not as good on paper as the 920. However, I find the sleek body design to be a massive one-upper. I've carried phones as thick as the Lumia 920 and hated it. I realize that the 8X is only a hair thinner, but the tapered edges really make a difference. I did not like the design of the Lumia 900 in practice (loved how it looked in pictures). The 8X feels no thicker than my Droid Razr because the edges are the same thickness as the Razr and the back fills your hand perfectly.

It really just depends on YOUR needs. For instance, I'm not an app or camera person. I want a phone that is well built and feels good in the hand, has a good screen, and at least 16GB of internal storage. I have very modest expectations and during my 4 hours of hands-on time with the 8X, I was ready to leave with it and never look back. I had my tiles all laid out how I wanted, it was MY PHONE before I left.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Sure, it's not as good on paper as the 920. However, I find the sleek body design to be a massive one-upper. I've carried phones as thick as the Lumia 920 and hated it. I realize that the 8X is only a hair thinner, but the tapered edges really make a difference. I did not like the design of the Lumia 900 in practice (loved how it looked in pictures). The 8X feels no thicker than my Droid Razr because the edges are the same thickness as the Razr and the back fills your hand perfectly.

It really just depends on YOUR needs. For instance, I'm not an app or camera person. I want a phone that is well built and feels good in the hand, has a good screen, and at least 16GB of internal storage. I have very modest expectations and during my 4 hours of hands-on time with the 8X, I was ready to leave with it and never look back. I had my tiles all laid out how I wanted, it was MY PHONE before I left.

I actually like the look of the 8x from pictures and yes it doesn't have the nokia apps, but if the camera is anything like in the one series it is plenty good for what I do. I am def going to look into it and play with one in store once it releases.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the techie in me sees the spec sheet and says (on paper) the 920 beats the 8x hands down. Therefore I want the 920. But when I really start to think about it I'm not really that big into apps. I use my phone to text and look up windows phone news, take some pictures of my kids and that's about it. I do use it for maps but I don't live in a big city so I don't need an awesome mapping program and from the sounds of it all wp8 phones will have Nokia maps so they're even there. So another question I guess I have is that the 8x looks tall and skinny where as the 920 and 822 looked more wider. So my question is did the 8x feel way skinny? Also Mr. MacPhisto you mentioned BB10 so have anyone on Verizon get a chance to see one in person? My gf really liked the BB storm but went to the iPhone 4 and never really liked it so I'm going to get her the BB10 phone that comes to Verizon and I was just wondering about personal experiences.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
i don't know how many of the exclusive apps i would use, either....i have almost never used my current phone as a GPS while driving, i am already a pretty satisfied Spotify subscriber, and the area i live in is pretty small, so City Lens is pretty useless here...

but....

it is having the option to use those apps that keeps me wanting/pining for the 920. i do get out and roam from time to time, so some of those apps might come in handy, but there are alternatives that would probably do just fine.

besides the apps, it is the camera that i keep coming back to. i did look around on the web for some sample images from the One X, which i think has the same camera that will be in the 8X, and it seemed to hold its own just fine against the iphone's camera, and even looked to be the 2nd best option behind the 920 when tested in low light situations (well, 3rd if you include the PureView 808...).

to get EITHER phone, i will have to leave my current carrier, which is a small regional carrier here in eastern KY...however, in this area, CDMA is king and ATT phones are pretty limited in where they work. so that means Verizon, and apparently, that means the 8X, at least for a while.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestabebread how's the reception on the 8X? I'm hoping it's as good or better than my rezound, if so I'll be very pleased with it. If it's like the Trophy I'll have to pass.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Its 16GB with about 11 left after the OS, Verizons demo content, demo pictures and vidoes, etc. Id guess about 13 available to the user on the retail models

I was thinking I might like the 8X but, with only 16gb and no upgrade path, I guess I wont be getting one of them. My Trophy has 16gb and I'm always removing stuff to make room for new stuff.

I'm not going to sign a 2 year contract when I am already out of space... Where's the high end HTC device ?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
My DM got to field test the 8X and 822, and he said the 8X was comparable to his Razr MAXX but the Nokia was far and away the best reception of any phone.

As for battery, I used about 40% in the 4 hours but you have to remember that store demo mode was on, which drains a phone quickly. And I was watching a bunch of trailers to see that amazing screen work its magic.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That is dependent on the carrier. The 8X is coming to AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Of those, chances are only AT&T and T-Mobile will be able to do voice and data at the same time.

On Verizon, LTE network can do Voice and data at the same time... CMDA networks, NO

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thats what i am trying to find out...i know verizon is CDMA...LTE for data. But will it do both at the same time? Might not happen till VZW turns on VOLte?

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm just just like most lte phone on verizon if you're in an area that has lte it will do data on lte on voice on cdma so it just depends on if you have lte or not.

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ah thank you! We just got LTE in our area, and i havent had a phone to test with. the 8x will be the first one :)

Thanks for the response.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The lack of simultaneous voice and data on LTE networks on Verizon is a restriction of the iPhone and iOS, not LTE handsets. Android handsets can do it, and I see no reason why WP handsets couldn't also do it (e.g. use LTE for data while CDMA is used for voice).

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
if it has svdo it will also do voice and data at the same time over 3g. Some htc phones can do that( rezound, thunderbolt to name a few)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Not true: SVDO doesn't require LTE. The Thunderbolt and at least a few other Verizon phones can do simultaneous voice and data over 3G only.

Assuming an area is provisioned for SVDO. I know that large swathes of the Bay Area are not.

In general, when you're getting data and voice simultaneously on VZW, it's because of the dual radios, not SVDO. iOS doesn't support either SVDO nor dual radio operation, so it's doubly rough over there.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
That is dependent on the carrier. The 8X is coming to AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Of those, chances are only AT&T and T-Mobile will be able to do voice and data at the same time.

If the 8X has svdo like the HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound and Galaxy S3 it should be able to do voice and data at the same time on 3G and 4G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786