VZW WP8 Update

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's good to hear. I am leaning more toward the 822 each day.

Assuming the 822 looks and feels like the 820 I saw today in the ATT store, it's a very nice device and is sexy looking in its own right. It didn't look cheap or feel that way either. I'm not sure if the contrast thingy (forgot the name) was turned on for the particular demo I was messing with, but the screen had more color pop than the 920 next to it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Assuming the 822 looks and feels like the 820 I saw today in the ATT store, it's a very nice device and is sexy looking in its own right. It didn't look cheap or feel that way either. I'm not sure if the contrast thingy (forgot the name) was turned on for the particular demo I was messing with, but the screen had more color pop than the 920 next to it.

The 822 looks a bit different than the 820, but it's still a nice looking phone in the videos and pictures I've seen. The white looks really nice.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Man, if it wasn't for the absolutely god-aweful PPI (which, by the way, is worse than the Trophy...), I'd choose this device.

Can you really tell? I usually can't. If I put phones up to my eyeball I might be able to. The 822 has the same powertrain specs as the 8X minus the higher rez screen. I think the 822 will be snappier than the 8X because of this.

It's a 4.3 inch screen. Frankly, I couldn't really see a huge difference between the 820 and 920 screens I saw at the AT&T store other than the 820 was brighter. The higher pixel density will mean higher battery draw and more heat generated from the display.

Two things push the 822 over the top for me. Expandable storage (music buff) and Nokia apps. Liked the 820 better than the 920 in many ways when they were announced but the lack of Gorilla Glass was a killer. As soon as I saw the 822 was getting GG2.0, I became very interested in it.

The 8X is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I think the 822 is a more versatile phone. And I have heard what Honestabread said, the 822's reception is incredible. The AT&T guy I talked to (was just wanting to look at the phones) said the 820 had better reception than the 920 and was the best he had ever seen. If the 822 is the same, this could be an incredible phone at an equally incredible price.

psustudent21

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Can you really tell? I usually can't. If I put phones up to my eyeball I might be able to. The 822 has the same powertrain specs as the 8X minus the higher rez screen. I think the 822 will be snappier than the 8X because of this.

It's a 4.3 inch screen. Frankly, I couldn't really see a huge difference between the 820 and 920 screens I saw at the AT&T store other than the 820 was brighter. The higher pixel density will mean higher battery draw and more heat generated from the display.

Two things push the 822 over the top for me. Expandable storage (music buff) and Nokia apps. Liked the 820 better than the 920 in many ways when they were announced but the lack of Gorilla Glass was a killer. As soon as I saw the 822 was getting GG2.0, I became very interested in it.

The 8X is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I think the 822 is a more versatile phone. And I have heard what Honestabread said, the 822's reception is incredible. The AT&T guy I talked to (was just wanting to look at the phones) said the 820 had better reception than the 920 and was the best he had ever seen. If the 822 is the same, this could be an incredible phone at an equally incredible price.
Mr. MacPhisto, I was in the AT&T store yesterday and there was a rep that worked with Nokia, so I asked her about the 920/922 on Verizon. She said that she wouldn't be surprised if the Lumia 920/922 was on Verizon by December around Christmas. She said that if Verizon wanted the phone, they would get it and that the exclusive status doesn't mean anything. Thoughts?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Man, if it wasn't for the absolutely god-aweful PPI (which, by the way, is worse than the Trophy...), I'd choose this device.

I don't think the 822 screen will be that bad. I remember going to an AT&T store and looking at a Lumia 900 and an HTC Titan 2. Despite the lower ppi both screens looked better than my Trophy. Everything else is a big improvement over the Trophy, so I think I can be happy with the 822.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The 822 is an awesome phone, like I've said since the beginning. I have no idea why people hate on it. The main reason I'm getting the 8X is the design. I don't like any of Nokia's designs (including the L900). Apps aren't important to me. The 822 is 100, charging cover is probably gonna be $40, so that's $60 more for a better screen and better design. I know my reps are gonna push the 822 hard though because we're in a very tough signal area, we're still the best carrier in our area but letting a customer out the door with a Samsung normally results in a return.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Mr. MacPhisto, I was in the AT&T store yesterday and there was a rep that worked with Nokia, so I asked her about the 920/922 on Verizon. She said that she wouldn't be surprised if the Lumia 920/922 was on Verizon by December around Christmas. She said that if Verizon wanted the phone, they would get it and that the exclusive status doesn't mean anything. Thoughts?

Id like some more insight on this as well. I tried both at AT&T last night, and I liked the 920 just a liiiiiitle bit more.

Would hold out another month for it.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

As time goes by it becomes clearer why the Lumia 920 did not come to Verizon. The early cries of "treachery!" were probably a little overstated within VZW management.

The 920 did not come to Verizon because AT&T guaranteed they would sell X number of the phone (I have not idea how big that number is). So Nokia got an upfront payment for most of those phones and AT&T pledged to heavily subsidize the phones to make sure they move.

Verizon does not go crazy with subsidies when a phone comes out and they aren't willing to go too heavy on guaranteed sales. They are willing to buy several hundred thousand at a time to stock their brick and mortar and online.

Nokia did not want to give them the phone without a pledge for sales volume and a pledge to deliver the phone below $150. Verizon wanted to slot the 32GB Lumia 92X at $250, not at $150. Nokia gave them the flexibility to price out the 822. HTC gave them that ability. Samsung has.

So I wouldn't hold my breath unless Nokia delivers a variant that Verizon can price as they see fit. The variant was supposed to have a high MP sensor (I had heard 12 like others had). It likely would look a bit different so it wouldn't violate the "exclusive" status for AT&T. Verizon prefers to have rounded edges, so that would be a fair bet. There was also some mention back in September that it might be 1280x720 instead of 768.

I personally don't see them launching anything like that before Christmas. The ATIV Odyssey (S) is supposed to launch at $250 and be their top end WP8 device. They originally had not planned on adding the Samsung until later so it would not compete with the Nokia. I think they are more likely to wait for the Quad-core Nokia with OIS that is due early next year. HTC has a quad coming as well (Zenith).

The HTC 8S is coming and I think it may hit middle December. They had hoped to have four WP8 devices by Christmas. That tells you how committed VZW is this time.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
That's all very reassuring.

I'm excited for Verizon's WP8 future.

I understand the subsidizing AT&T offered was pretty amazing, and I hope it works for them. I should be just fine with an 8X/ATIV Odyssey. Wish the Odyssey was more stand out design wise... Right now it's invisible.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
That's all very reassuring.

I'm excited for Verizon's WP8 future.

I understand the subsidizing AT&T offered was pretty amazing, and I hope it works for them. I should be just fine with an 8X/ATIV Odyssey. Wish the Odyssey was more stand out design wise... Right now it's invisible.

AT&T tends to go a bit heavy on the phone subsidies. They have been a phone-centric carrier for a long time, since the Cingular days.

Basically AT&T has had the concept for a while that the company that offers the coolest, most advanced phones will get the most customers. Verizon thinks that the company with the best and most stable network will attract more customers and that most people just want a good phone that does what they want.

AT&T will try to push people into a certain phone. Verizon tends to have the phones classified based on the type of user and encourages placing a customer with a phone that matches their need and their budget, if need be.

That's why when Apple came knocking with the iPhone, Verizon was not inclined to listen, especially since Apple demanded a lot from them. They didn't want to give so much to a company that had yet to make a cell phone. They also knew that it would drive up data usage and cause stress on their network if it was successful. VZW also was in a good and stable place. AT&T was on less solid ground and the iPhone did help them build up their customer base, but Verizon did not suffer long term either.

If Nokia makes a 920 variant for Verizon it will be because they agreed to play by Verizon's rules. I know that Verizon would be happy to sell that phone. They want a strong WP8 portfolio because they want WP8 to surpass Android and iOS in sales for them. WP8 looks to be more profitable for them than the other two and the execs love how it works.

I think they'll have at least six WP8 devices by the time March rolls around, maybe up to eight. Then the quad cores will roll out.

I know they are getting the HTC 8S at some point in the not too distant future and selling it for $50 on a two year contract.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I think if VZW had their way, there would be no iPhones. Just WP8, and HtC and Moto Androids. Nothing else. And they would market them as Droids, not Android or Jelly Bean or whatever.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you involved with Verizon, or just ridiculously informed and self-educated on this stuff?

Quad core phones... Worth it?

Suppose I could sell my Odyssey/8X and try for an OOC and try for myself.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you involved with Verizon, or just ridiculously informed and self-educated on this stuff?

I work in the training department for VZW. I think MacPhisto has a good friend on VZW's corporate sales team or something like that.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Honestabebread said it for me, but I have a good friend who I've known for over a decade who works in corporate sales for Verizon - and not by calling people, but by one on one contact with clients. They send people out to do presentations to their larger customers and create packages with anywhere from dozens to hundreds of phones. That's what he does.

I think the quad core phones are less worth it on Windows Phone than on Android or iOS. I've heard more than one reviewer reference that the dual core WP8 devices are more responsive than the quad core Android devices.

I think quad core makes a lot of sense for game developing on phones but not much else. I could see some higher end games coming out in the Windows Phone Store in the future that would want quad core, but all the apps in the store will be build for the dual core WP8 devices at this point.

If you primarily use it for email, web, phone calls, texting, and some apps then I'd guess the dual core would be just fine.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I think if VZW had their way, there would be no iPhones. Just WP8, and HtC and Moto Androids. Nothing else. And they would market them as Droids, not Android or Jelly Bean or whatever.

Exactly what I think too. I know they've been wanting to dump LG for awhile and don't have the hots for Samsung, especially with their reception issues. But Samsung is popular so they have to carry them. I've heard in the past six months that they're hoping the lower end devices in WP8 from HTC (8S) and others plus HTC, Samsung, Moto, etc making less expensive Droid options on the low end will allow them to ditch LG almost entirely.

I think both AT&T and Verizon would love to say goodbye to the iPhone now, but they can't. The dream is for WP8 to grow, Droid to stay strong, and BB10 to make a decent dent at the bottom next year to make the iPhone go down to 15% or less for Verizon so they can try to push it aside as much as possible.

If Verizon and AT&T both grew enough sales outside of iOS and both decided to dump it, what could Apple do in response? I think both would hope the threat would allow them to treat Apple like any old phone maker.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I guess that it sounds, if you read my posts, that I've become one of the supposed 8X fanboys. I promise you this isn't the case.

I like HTC. They've made several of my previous phones, including my favorite, the HD7 that I was able to play with for only a few days. While I'm really not stoked about their support and RMA process, including repair prices, I do like them as a company. If you ask some of my friends, they'll say that their experiences with HTC vary.

However, I do want to support Nokia for their support of Windows Phone. I do wonder what the future of Windows Phones would have been without them. They also get some exclusive apps as well, some of which I do wish I had on my phones.

There is a double edged sword here. The whole WP ecosystem may also be suffering due to the exclusivity with not only apps, but phones as well. I digress.

I've still been considering the 822, but I would like to review the unit before making a choice. Personally, I pretty much agree with you that the 822 is an underdog and is getting judged unfairly without anyone really seeing or using one. I'd personally like to prove this to everyone, and I think that the 822 would be a fantastic choice for the average consumer.

Thing is, I don't believe most people here to be average WP customers. I think those who actively post about phones are probably a little more passionate about features and the like. For some, its all about brand. For others, its features.

Can I personally spot the difference between screens with high pixel density? Absolutely. I know that others, like my parents and some friends really can't tell. Some will call it a marketing gimmick. Others will notice.

Take the iPhone 3x and compare to the iPhone 4. It was an incredible change.

I really am rooting for the 822. I really just wish that Nokia would have sent review units before the launch of the actual device itself.

Take it for what its worth, but I'm very much considering the 822 more and more. I chose the 8X initially. That has a very high degree of changing.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Preorders ship tomorrow. Brick and mortar launch on the 18th. Red 8X will Launch black Friday.

Also the 822 in gray is stunning. Serious contender for my personal phone upgrade.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Preorders ship tomorrow. Brick and mortar launch on the 18th. Red 8X will Launch black Friday.

Also the 822 in gray is stunning. Serious contender for my personal phone upgrade.

Just cancelled my 8X order to switch to this phone. Very excited.

I did so after looking at an 820 versus the 8X in an AT&T store.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

So I have to wait a week because I did not order online... Thats janky. I figured it would ship on day of availability in stores.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte