VZW WP8 Update

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Now THIS is what I've been waiting to hear!

Now THIS is what I've been waiting to hear!!!

From the article in the Verge:
Elop said that he is pleased that Nokia has restarted its "relationship with Verizon," adding that the Finnish manufacturer is "planning a lot of exciting things with Verizon as well."

http://vrge.co/ZfuQHc

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Its Verizon so honestly we could probably change whatever we want and Microsoft would deal with it because we're throwing a stupid amount of resources at the platform.

It's nice that Verizon is supporting WP, but the amount of control that they can exert isn't exactly inspiring from a consumer standpoint.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is really pushing WP8 even if you don't feel it walking into a retail store. The phones are everywhere internally, have literally been forced on the management team (all store managers have 822s and all district managers have 8Xs) to break the superstition, and there HAS to be a minimum of 4 sales reps carrying Windows phones in the stores now. Its a big deal.

My old store manager made fun of me all the time for carrying a Trophy and was pissed when they handed her a Lumia. Now she loves it and doesn't miss her iPhone a bit. My old DM says his 8X is "alright" but he's a massive Apple ****** so its still progress.

The overall internal rresponse has been tremendous but its a work in progress. Especially training the Alltel employees that Windows Phone does not = the Moto Q9C

I am glad they are pushing it, hopefully there is a higher-end Lumia in the new year. Nokia have been on a tear with app updates lately and have built quite the app collection that's surely just going to grow.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is really pushing WP8 even if you don't feel it walking into a retail store. The phones are everywhere internally, have literally been forced on the management team (all store managers have 822s and all district managers have 8Xs) to break the superstition, and there HAS to be a minimum of 4 sales reps carrying Windows phones in the stores now. Its a big deal.

My old store manager made fun of me all the time for carrying a Trophy and was pissed when they handed her a Lumia. Now she loves it and doesn't miss her iPhone a bit. My old DM says his 8X is "alright" but he's a massive Apple ****** so its still progress.

The overall internal rresponse has been tremendous but its a work in progress. Especially training the Alltel employees that Windows Phone does not = the Moto Q9C

It pays to remember for all of us that this is a LONG TERM fight. Android was not great when VZW first picked it up and certainly when others did too. It's still not great, IMO, but momentum built over time.

People aren't going to run out and buy a WP8 device immediately, not en masse. But the year over year increase and awareness is huge. More people are aware of the platform and as more people get them, more will be interested and consider them for their next phone.

MS hasn't perfected things either. They need better syncing tools and to improve things on the OS itself, but the core is exceptional and the core userbase is larger than it has ever been.

Having VZW as a partner in the US is huge because they are far more into it than they were when the Trophy launched. That was an afterthought. This is not - as you can tell from the VZW logo embedded in the WP8 start screen.

My biggest concern right now is that HTC may not be entirely happy because I doubt the 8X is selling well in comparison to the 810, 820, 822, and 920. Nokia did a good job delivering value while HTC designed a very nice phone, but how many people will buy them at that price with only 16GB and no expandability? I know that the 822 at $49.99 is far more appealing - so that's what I bought.

The gray is stunning, btw. ;)

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how HTC expected anything else. They are hedging their bets with Android and Windows Phone. They are on Verizon, AT&T and T-MO. They are the 2nd choice wherever they exist. They need to take a risk, the 8X is a great product, but too expensive. I think they'll drop the price of the 8X VERY soon (likely after Christmas), they really should have launched it at $99.

Rich2ard7son

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
With all the crappy rumors about VZ sh!t canning the WP8 launch, your post is quite welcoming.
22.jpg

13.jpg

20.jpg

23.jpg

21.jpg

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to agree with you, but I can't. That phone gave me nightmares when I was a sales rep. I literally hate WebOS, Windows Mobile, and BB6/7. So many confused and unhappy customers. Android and iOS are starting to go that way as well. In my opinion BB10 and WP8 will become the major players here in a few years.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
See.... I liked Windows Mobile, but I'm a geek, and I always viewed that as a geek's phone, not a consumer device. As a systems admin at the time, it was great for me, as I could write little apps and stick on it to monitor my systems, WELL before there was ever such thing as an iPhone (iWHAT???). But no way would I have ever recommended that to a plain old consumer.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I submitted this to WP Central but I guess they don't check their tips very often. Verizon 822 is now 100% free with a contract (no rebate at all) and the 8X is $100 after a $50 rebate, or just straight up $100 online.

If you bought your phone November 23rd or later, your worry free guarantee doesn't run out till January 15th so you should be able to get the price matched if you paid $100 or $50 for the 822.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
lol so glad I have my 8x. I actually waited for the Oddyssey till dec 7th until I decided to go with the 8x. So happy with my decision or else I would be still waiting

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I bothered them on Twitter about it again. Same response, no info. They provided a link to an unrelated page on their website. Not sure what the point of Twitter reps is when they not only know nothing but direct you to the wrong place for more information. :wink:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
This is a little OT but found in interesting. I keep an eye on the reviews of all the devices, but hadn't checked verizonwireless.com in a few days. I don't remember exact numbers, but the Lumia 822 went from having 160 or so reviews to having 217. The HTC 8X went from having what seemed like 70, up to 173. Is this an explosion in popularity with the price drops and front-page (website) advertising for the 8X? Or is this just the review numbers being wrong and catching up. I think a lot of the 'reviews' though were just a rating with no text.

I get the feeling that the price drop is helping these devices sell. I hope its a sign of Verizon or Microsoft pushing WP8 and not just an inventory dump; I think it's the former.

HTC now have the Droid DNA and the 8X as on Verizon that are seemingly both doing well. What's really interesting is the iphone is really nowhere to be seen. I am sure it's selling gangbusters, but still interesting.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No worries - they're not dumping inventory like that just 45 or so days after release... They're pushing the product. :grin:

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon loves the idea of Windows Phone. Most stores in my districts have 3 Windows Phones and a Surface out in the front of the store. The iPhones are all the way in the back facing the wall and the only one on display is the 5 because its LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)