VZW WP8 Update

WinDude

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 822 since mid December, and it has yet to crash or freeze up. Have had no issues whatsoever. Can't remember the last time I was able to say that about a phone.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you guys aren't having any issues but it is a VERY widespread issue with the phone. I'm in an Alltel convergence market so that may be the issue but regardless. Very high return rate on the 822.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you guys aren't having any issues but it is a VERY widespread issue with the phone. I'm in an Alltel convergence market so that may be the issue but regardless. Very high return rate on the 822.
But what are those problems then? The phone is in the end based on the more simple build of 820 at the end. When comparing to Lumia 920.
Hard to imagine there being any hardware problems. Especially as you can be sure that forums would be full of it.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Honestabebread, sounds like a localized issue with your particular part of the market - there must be some specific part unique to your network branch that is tripping up the 822.

Around here (and I believe most of the US), the 822 is very reliable and has low return rate.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I love my 822. But it's started locking up. Not sure why. Suspect Bluetooth, I have other threads on it. I do know that Verizon has NO CLUE about the 822. I've posted on their facebook page regarding it. They do not even know their own policies... Sold me the Wireless charger with out the back. Now they are giving me a hard time about the back...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to read too many forums to see that it is a widespread problem, not just local to Honestabebread's area. I don't know how the return rate compares to other models, but at this point, I'm still not convinced that the majority of the problems are hardware. I want to see how it works after the Portico update, and THEN make that call. For now, though, I'm still convinced that it's OS/Firmware/Software related. IMO it's too widespread to be as much hardware as many people think.

As to why some and not others? We all have different configurations, and we all use our phones different ways. That by itself can be enough to make the difference. It could be that my keeping BT on all the time, and someone else never using BT is my problem. But that third person, who also doesn't use BT, may have his phone configured in a way that it exposes a different bug. And that fourth person, something else. We are early adopters. This is where the bugs come out to play.

Just today, I was using Package Tracker, and I scanned a barcode, then tapped the checkmark to submit, before putting a name of the package in. I got a messagebox, then tapped ok, then tapped the combobox to pick a carrier, which triggered a reboot for some reason. So yes, there are still bugs in the system, and yes, I'm convinced that they will get worked out. I'm sure there are some hardware problems, but I also believe that the majority of the phones being replaced don't need to be - they need the update.

Yes, I could be wrong, but that's where I stand until the update comes out to prove one way or the other.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to read too many forums to see that it is a widespread problem, not just local to Honestabebread's area. I don't know how the return rate compares to other models, but at this point, I'm still not convinced that the majority of the problems are hardware. I want to see how it works after the Portico update, and THEN make that call. For now, though, I'm still convinced that it's OS/Firmware/Software related. IMO it's too widespread to be as much hardware as many people think.

As to why some and not others? We all have different configurations, and we all use our phones different ways. That by itself can be enough to make the difference. It could be that my keeping BT on all the time, and someone else never using BT is my problem. But that third person, who also doesn't use BT, may have his phone configured in a way that it exposes a different bug. And that fourth person, something else. We are early adopters. This is where the bugs come out to play.

Just today, I was using Package Tracker, and I scanned a barcode, then tapped the checkmark to submit, before putting a name of the package in. I got a messagebox, then tapped ok, then tapped the combobox to pick a carrier, which triggered a reboot for some reason. So yes, there are still bugs in the system, and yes, I'm convinced that they will get worked out. I'm sure there are some hardware problems, but I also believe that the majority of the phones being replaced don't need to be - they need the update.

Yes, I could be wrong, but that's where I stand until the update comes out to prove one way or the other.

In this case I do believe you are wrong and the issues triggering the returns are not widespread, yes - Honestabebread stated the issue primarily causing 822 returns in his area was the device not activating on the network at all. He did not mention reboots or any of the other known bugs of the initial release:
Link: http://forums.windowscentral.com/upcoming-rumored-devices/199198-17.htm#post1857480

Thus, since I have not heard this anywhere nor have I seen it experienced in my area, it is most likely a regional issue with Honestabebread's specific serviced market area. I do believe there are bugs with the initial release (i.e. reboots, SD card issues, XBOX music problems), but this does not appear to be what is triggering the returns in his case.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.... Somehow I missed that. Weird. That would lead me to lean toward firmware, though. But I'd agree with the person that he was replying to, that we don't seem to have as many problems as others. At least that's my perception.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.... Somehow I missed that. Weird. That would lead me to lean toward firmware, though. But I'd agree with the person that he was replying to, that we don't seem to have as many problems as others. At least that's my perception.

Personally I believe all the WP devices have the same software bugs (i.e. random reboots, poor performance of xbox music on local libraries), but some brands may be a bit more affected than others due to minor hardware differences. I don't think these software bugs are deal breaker for most, though, as most expect some minor bugs with new tech these days (unlike failing to activate on the network, which is a show stopper).

The phone with the biggest problems appears to be the HTC 8X due to the initial first couple of revisions that had the defective soft coating that was too porous. Based on various comments here, they have since revised the coating and fixed that.

The Nokia 920 had some issues with "creaking" that apparently was due to over or undertightening of screws on the case.

The 822 didn't have too many issues except the SD card issues, but honestly I feel that is an OS problem more than Nokia's. It seems some of the apps such as Mail and Xbox Music crash when they run into a massive number of files. Since SD cards hold a lot of files, you run into the issue more there.

One thing is for sure, Windows Phone 8 was not as bug-free as Windows Phone 7 out of the gate, but then again WP8 has a ton more features. Let's just hope they get it right soon before people start to notice these bugs as they use their device more.

And wow do they have a lot of work to do on XBOX Music... that is a mess!

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Stability was the main reason members of my family considered moving to WP. My Dad has a palm pre and asked the other day if WP8 was as stable as WP7.5...We all know the answer to that. Good thing he is patient and understands that a new OS will not be perfect out the gate.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's definitely not as stable as WP7, that's for sure. I do have faith, though, that it will be. In the mean time, yes, I agree - I hope they fix things before people start fixating on the bugs.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like the issue with the 822 has been figured out. You have to set the phone to Global mode and turn on data roaming for whatever reason. It still doesn't show "Verizon" as the network, but it works.

Personally, I'm hoping to get a BB10 phone for my next work phone (being a trainer = new phone every 3 months) and then I'm looking to hear about the next Nexus. July is when I have to switch from one year contracts to two year contracts, so my personal phone decision will be a lot more important. The only time I'd buy an Android is if it was a Nexus. I love WP8 but there are a few features I want that I'm not sure I'll get. So my next phone will be either a BB10 or a WP8, whichever one is blossomed the most by July. If both of them flop, I'll go with a Nexus. I won't go Apple because I find my iPad boring and I don't think I could handle it as a phone.

Blah blah blah.

Ativ Odyssey will be $100 on contract. It will have poor sales and I'm sure Samsung will give up on WP8 some point after. Same specs as the Free Galaxy Stellar. Makes no sense.

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Have actually the same problem here in Finland, that is not showing the operator. Had to use my Optimus 7 earlier on Roaming since it wouldn't connect to the web otherwise.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
$100 for the samsung? Are they smoking crack? You've got to get someone at verizon who has half a brain to turn that beast around. The 822 was free on contract. (Now only $50) and it's 10 times the phone. I've been battling Verizon for weeks on a slew of mistakes they made when they sold me the phone. "Sure, it will wirelessly charge with just the charging plate. you don't need the back"

I like to customize my phone. WP8 does not allow for much of this. But I am very happy with it. It just works without complaint. Things happen the way they are supposed to. I only wish I could USB Sync.

I am getting the lockups, I suspect bluetooth though.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I assume that is because a majority of people fail to send in their rebates?
No. Its because people get upset if you tell them a phone is $100 and then at checkout they have to pay $150. And I train my reps to include the upgrade fee up front as well. As for not sending them in, I cut out the rebates and put them in addressed envelopes for my customers so there was nothing I could be blamed for.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No. Its because people get upset if you tell them a phone is $100 and then at checkout they have to pay $150. And I train my reps to include the upgrade fee up front as well. As for not sending them in, I cut out the rebates and put them in addressed envelopes for my customers so there was nothing I could be blamed for.

Every time I've bought a phone in my Verizon store the rep has done the same with the rebate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss