It is DEAD!

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, seems safe to assume that we will NEVER see another Windows Phone with a portrait-slider keyboard.

It's a real shame too, because the form factor on the Dell Venue Pro is awesome.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Just because the initial batch of WP8 devices don't include sliders, doesn't mean there will never be one.

If Microsoft truely want to go after blackberry customers, they are likely to need a phone with a keypad.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Now you have the Windows Phone market which is tiny and you want to make a small niche product already in a tiny market, it doesn't make good business sense. And of course the 900 ib gorilla in the room that is the iPhone has no keyboard as well. So unfortunately I cannot say I am that surprised. However if Windows Phone devices take off in the enterprise market there is a good chance someone would make a business centric device with a keyboard.

That's of course all my opinion of what is likely to happen.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Now you have the Windows Phone market which is tiny and you want to make a small niche product already in a tiny market, it doesn't make good business sense. And of course the 900 ib gorilla in the room that is the iPhone has no keyboard as well. So unfortunately I cannot say I am that surprised. However if Windows Phone devices take off in the enterprise market there is a good chance someone would make a business centric device with a keyboard.

That's of course all my opinion of what is likely to happen.
You hit the nail on the head here. People who want sliders are a niche market these days, and you can't target a niche within an already small customer base. If WP gains some traction then we might see them down the road.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wrote a small editorial article that touches on this at windowsphonefans.com.

To sum it up, I see this niche as mainly business. It's hard to target a niche form factor within a niche ecosystem. But the demand does exist.

It would make perfect sense for a Surface phone to tackle this area, since it's an area that WP OEMs can't afford to target right now.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
If WP8 works out, I see a possibility of 'new' form factors. Like how the S3 Mini serves the small phone crowd.

At least 20% market share before that happens though, I believe

Personally though, I am looking for a E7 successor from Nokia.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If Win 8 / WP8 picks up steam in the enterprise / government environment you will see some coming out. Those markets are too big to ignore. MSFT is positioning Win 8 as a consumer based product at this time however. Give it some time. That will change....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Palm Pre .... Motorola Karma... Samsung Propel.... Sony-Erickson W760.

All portrait sliders, all phones I enjoyed. Easily my favorite form factor. When my BlackBerry Curve died, I was looking for used phones on Ebay to get me to the end of my contract and all three of them were portrait sliders: The Venue Pro, the Torch, and my Pre I already mentioned and ended up with.

I know it is probably the end of the line for them. Even among the keyboard crowd they were not huge sellers. Landscape or the traditional BlackBerry option seems to be it. Nokia will certainly put out a WP with a keyboard- the world wide customer base they have loves them. But a Portrait slider? No chance. I agree with everyone here: WP manufacturers will probably not roll the dice on a form factor that only a small % of a small audience would want. Makes me bummed.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't even like physical keyboards and I would buy a portrait slider. Some of my favorite phones of yore were portrait sliders.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You know, the three-year-old ones with trackballs and scroll wheels that IT managers at old-line companies force on the poor employees. THOSE BlackBerries.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Like how the S3 Mini serves the small phone crowd.
The S3 Mini doesn't serve the small phone crowd. It's a low/mid range phone with completely different internals that Samsung decided to arbitrarily capitalize off the "Galaxy S" name out of.

It's no different than the low/mid range phones (which also happen to be small) on the market now except it's branded "Galaxy S".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss