It isn't that the 822 is bad...

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am glad that the 822 is official for Verizon, and all in all, it does look like a pretty good phone. i like that you can add storage, the camera, although not PureView, is probably pretty good, and even though the screen is not such a high PPI or resolution, from what i understand, that matters much less on a windows phone than on android or ios.

here is my issue with it...

while it does appear to be a decent phone, and an IDEAL phone for those who don't want to spend a lot of money, i just can't see myself signing up for having that phone for 2 years, knowing what is likely to be coming, possibly by the end of THIS year, and at the very least by this spring.

and i feel like that will be the position of many of us that are "in the know" or consider ourselves higher-end users. we always know that SOMETHING better is coming, so we tend to be a bit more critical when evaluating this type of purchase, just to be sure that we are getting the best option available.

so the question then becomes, is the 8X even good enough to stick with for a full contract term...or has the 920 made it feel like a second-class phone, as well??

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen any pricing yet, have you? Doesn't Verizon offer a 1 year contract if you pay a little more for a phone?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't bet on the camera being pretty good just yet. I personally can't recommend signing in for 2 years with this device, especially to those poor Trophy users.

The 8X while inferior to the high end Android counterparts (HTC OneX+, Note 2, GS3, HTC JB) is still a pretty good phone. And don't fall for the hype the 8X goes toe to toe with the Lumia 920 and ATIV S.

8X and ATIV S are good bets my friend, don't stick with the 822 if you can get something so much better.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
my contract with my regional carrier ends right about Black Friday, and i am leaning more and more towards just waiting and seeing what is rumored/announced by that time. i really have no choice but to stick with my regional carrier or go with Verizon, due to AT&T coverage not being worth a crap in my area.

i also feel like if Nokia does in fact have a higher-end phone in the works for Verizon, something is bound to leak before TOO much longer, i suspect.

at this point, if i were to jump in at the end of November, my choice would be the 8X, just based on what we know about it so far, which seems to be more than we know about the Ativ (including whether it will even be available on Verizon). it has the same or similar camera processor as the OneX, which has so far shown itself to be a better camera than what is in the GS3, which will likely be what is in the ativ.

the more i find out, or rather DON'T find out, the more it seems to make better sense to wait this out and see what is coming down the road.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Why not just wait until April/May after the AT&T exclusive with the Lumia 920 is over? If the 922 or whatever it is is indeed a reality, it'll probably get to Verizon by then.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well the Lumia 920 has a 6 months exclusivity on AT&T so don't be waiting on that one just yet. The 822 got announced today at 100$ bucks.

I personallity wouldn't get that phone for free, but that's just me.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
i don't even really expect that VZW will carry the 920 after the exclusivity ends with AT&T. they will either have a 922 before then, or they will announce a completely different device. there just seems to be no reason to think they will carry the 920, since they are carrying a variant of the 820 and not the 820 itself.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, they didn't carry the 900 either. Btw you can get the 8X but HTC has already confirmed they are working on a 4.7 device for Windows Phone 8. So I recommend getting the device if you really like it. (the cameras, audio and screen on the device are all very high end)

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
You are right, it isn't a bad phone. For all intent and purposes, it serves its need as an entry point to WP8.

However, Verizon has a WP8 competitor immediately in the 8X. I find it hard to believe that Nokia's removable shell concept could fight against the better speced 8X.

Also, it's but a start. CES and MWC are going to be upon us again and Nokia will have something there for us.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The 822 is ugly and just looks like they mashed together a bunch of left over parts. Yeah it has nokia maps and that but I still would rather go with the 8x on verizon over this even if this were free.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen any pricing yet, have you? Doesn't Verizon offer a 1 year contract if you pay a little more for a phone?

Unfortunately Verizon got rid of the 1-year contracts a while back. It's a shame because I would gladly pay $100 extra (like I did previously) to be able to upgrade after 10 months instead of 20.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll be hanging on to my Pre3 a bit longer it seems - waiting for a 920 or better device with wireless charging on Verizon.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Definitely personal preference, but I'm more than likely going to switch to the 822 as Im buying off contract anyway to keep unlimited data and I will sell my Rezound on eBay. The 8x with 16GB just doesnt cut it... I like carrying all my music (along with other media) without having to rely on the cloud 24/7.

Im going to slap a 64GB SD Card into the grey 822 and take advantage of the exclusive Nokia Apps :) If something better comes along down the line I will sell and get the better phone.

The only wild card to me would be the Ativ S, which I might go for over this. Hopefully we'll find out more today.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to walk into a store tell them let me hold and look at both devices (8x and 822) and make my decision there. Because for me now it all comes down what feels better. I know I'll be shooting myself when a 9xx or something like that comes out but my trophy is tanking fast so I'm not waitting around anymore.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The white 822 actually doesn't look as bad as the black one. They should have gone with other colours as well since it would probably look better in a two tone scheme.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks more mid-range compared to the 820 and 810. Something about the rounded edges reminds me of the optimus one line of phones.
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo