Samsung Ativ S review: A fresh start | 11 page Review

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Ativ S review: A fresh start - GSMArena.com

Items I noticed:
Contrast Ratio = 3.129 ( S3 = 3.419, Nokia 808 = 4.698 )
No FM Radio for listening to TV in the gym
Sunspider score of 891 (iPhone 5 = 915)
BrowserMark score of 64817 (iPhone 5 = 189937)

We did our traditional loudspeaker test and the Ativ S scored an excellent mark. So missed call or notifications are highly unlikely.
Speakerphone test Voice, dB Pink noise/ Music, dB Ringing phone, dB Overal score
Apple iPhone 5 66.8 66.1 67.7 Below Average
HTC One S 65.1 64.6 76.7 Average
HTC One X 65.1 66.0 75.8 Average
LG Optimus 4X HD 68.7 66.6 79.3 Good
Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III 75.1 66.5 75.0 Good
Samsung Note II N7100 70.0 66.6 80.5 Good
Motorola RAZR XT910 74.7 66.6 82.1 Very Good
LG Optimus G 74.6 71.3 82.7 Excellent
Samsung Ativ S 73.7 73.5 82.7 Excellent

For the most part, the Samsung Ativ S output is identical to that of the Samsung Galaxy S III. The WP smartphone managed to achieve great frequency response, dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio readings in both the active external amplifier and headphones-on test cases.
The Ativ S also manages to fix the only issue we had with the Samsung Galaxy S III audio quality - volume levels. The WP8-powered device delivered notably louder output, but sadly that came at the price of increased intermodulation distortion.
Check out the numbers and see for yourselves.

Test Frequency response Noise level Dynamic range THD IMD + Noise Stereo crosstalk
Samsung Ativ S +0.07, -0.07 -90.3 88.4 0.0089 0.384 -92.2
Samsung Ativ S (headphones attached) +0.18, -0.05 -90.0 88.2 0.031 0.390 -60.0
Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III +0.03, -0.05 -90.3 90.3 0.012 0.018 -92.6
Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III (headphones attached) +0.11, -0.04 -90.2 90.2 0.0092 0.090 -53.1
LG Optimus G +0.13, -0.11 -82.5 82.5 0.0092 0.022 -81.6
LG Optimus G (headphones attached) +0.05, -0.30 -80.8 80.9 0.012 0.061 -59.4
Apple iPhone 5 +0.06, -0.51 -91.3 91.3 0.0015 0.0093 -76.5
Apple iPhone 5 (headphones attached) +0.00, -0.26 -90.6 90.6 0.0035 0.111 -56.2

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Those SunSpider scores are amazing!! First it was the HTC 8X and now the Ativ S outdoes it!! It is definitely WP8, the optimization done by Microsoft is astounding. Destroying the competition.... even those with quad-core.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't paid much attention to GSMarena in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised by this review. They are capable enough to make technical measurements (display + audio quality and battery life) and they made very few mistakes, which is rare. Well done I say! Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

I'll definitely be returning to their site for their take on the 8X and the Lumia 920 when they review them too!

The only thing I didn't like was that they lumped a large discussion of WP8 and the device review into a single article, when these should be dealt with separately.
It is definitely WP8, the optimization done by Microsoft is astounding. Destroying the competition.... even those with quad-core.
What else isn't new ;)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just starting to read review. I can already say that I am not happy about their dislikes. They are just compared to android. That is fine with apps, but not the entire OS of the phone. Its not a disadvantage if someone doesnt need or want a file manager on their phone.

I noticed something interesting I have not seen mentioned yet. The mail app now has black background when you have a dark theme. Or it may be an optional setting possibly. I think that is nice. I hate picking up my phone when laying in bed to see an email I just got and getting blinded by the mail app.

Last edited:

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
They mention a lack of voice guided driving directions. My understanding is that Nokia Drive will be available for all devices, Nokia or otherwise. In addition, there are multiple GPS navigation apps in the store that I can see already. I use google navigation on my current phone and it works well.

Are they just creating a problem where none exists, or is there something I am missing?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A complete and in depth review. I would have liked them to describe a little more what their graphics analizing meant, but overall a fair, level headed job.

What I liked:
-More good performance tests.
-Samsung fans will love that the strengths of the GS3 are here.
-Not caring what haters say- that is an amazingy nice looking device. Offers a stark contrast and mature alternative to the bright "fun" colors of Nokia and HTC. (Not saying those are bad, just that Samsung looks like a nice option if you want something not black but still less eye-catching.)

What I don't like (mostly with WP 8 itself):
-My hope for keyboard improvements are dashed (Where is the cursor arrows, dang it!!).
-Still think the address book, notifications, and music player take a few too many steps to find what you are looking for.
-As far as the ATIV S goes, too many GS3 comparisons. Where is the exclusive content which would set it apart from other WP8 devices and show Samsung is serious about WP8?

Overall, I think this is a great device. Just do not know if Nokia is worried about it. Also, I repeat my concerns: With Tizen devices coming out which is Samsung's pet OS project, Android being the huge money maker it is for Sammy, and Samsung much more excited for the ATIV tablet line then the WP8 options, is there any promotion coming for this really, really fantastic phone?

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
They mention a lack of voice guided driving directions. My understanding is that Nokia Drive will be available for all devices, Nokia or otherwise. In addition, there are multiple GPS navigation apps in the store that I can see already. I use google navigation on my current phone and it works well.

Are they just creating a problem where none exists, or is there something I am missing?

Available with an *

It would now appear that, rather than being a precursor for all Windows Phone 8 handsets, it will be up to individual manufacturers to decide whether to install it or not.

Pocket-lint has spoken to Nokia about getting hold of a definitive list of what Windows Phone 8 devices will come with Nokia Drive on board. Unfortunately Nokia said it would have this information only “in the coming days”.

It’s also unclear as to whether the app will be made available free of charge from the Windows Phone Store. Nokia Drive provides turn-by-turn directions for more than 110 countries, along with maps for 190.

source

If there is hesitation from other OEM then I can't blame them. Its like BMW saying Mercedes could user their engine as long as they put BMW on the engine...(I know, bad example)

If this is the case then MS need to create their own UI/Front End software and use the Nokia back-end services to power the navigational mapping software so that all OEM are not held hostage by Nokia.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Andrelamont is right. I've explained it in more detail here (includes a link to Nokia's own explanation)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Andrelamont is right. I've explained it in more detail here (includes a link to Nokia's own explanation)

Actually is there anything stopping OEM's from developing their own UI over the builtin maps? That way they sidestep having to licence Nokia Drive but get to use the mapping data which is already included in the OS. Unless that is explicitly prohibited by the terms of the licence that should solve the problem.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually is there anything stopping OEM's from developing their own UI over the builtin maps? That way they sidestep having to licence Nokia Drive but get to use the mapping data which is already included in the OS. Unless that is explicitly prohibited by the terms of the licence that should solve the problem.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Nothing is stopping OEM's from offering their own navigational app.

Microsoft is licensing the expensive stuff for world wide use (Nokia's mapping data and their API's), so every OEM (HTC, Samsung, etc.) gets this for free. They can do whatever they want with it, as could you or I. Apps can also be granted access to Nokia's offline maps stored on your device.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Nothing is stopping OEM's from offering their own navigational app.

Microsoft is licensing the expensive stuff for world wide use (Nokia's mapping data and their API's), so every OEM (HTC, Samsung, etc.) gets this for free. They can do whatever they want with it, as could you or I. Apps can also be granted access to Nokia's offline maps stored on your device.

Guess the question then is why arent they taking that route. It would seem to be the easiest way to compete with Nokia by having their own free, self-branded nav program and they can even claim its based on the same data as ND. ARe they just lazy, just cant be bothered?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So in the Nokia link it says there is a beta Nokia Drive app that will be available for WP8 but it is still in Beta at this time...

We are currently testing it and a beta version will be made available very soon. On a Nokia smartphone like Nokia Lumia 920, you will find a tile on the start screen that will take you to the Windows Phone Store to download Nokia Drive Beta. Other manufacturers and Microsoft will decide in which countries and on which devices Nokia Drive will be offered to their customers.​

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Guess the question then is why arent they taking that route. It would seem to be the easiest way to compete with Nokia by having their own free, self-branded nav program and they can even claim its based on the same data as ND. ARe they just lazy, just cant be bothered?

I'm not familiar with the internal "going ons" at HTC or Samsung, so I don't know. I don't think laziness would every correctly describe either company though.

Actually, they may very well be planning to do exactly that. Maybe they just aren't ready yet? HTC and Samsung certainly would have required access to Microsoft's and Nokia's mapping API (part of the WP8 SDK) about a year ago, were they to have much chance of bringing something to market around now. Were Microsoft and Nokia ready to provide that way back then? I don't know, but I doubt it.

I could also imagine that HTC and Samsung's sales projections do not justify the cost of developing such an app. Or maybe their sales projections have such wide tolerances (+/- 50%), that they simply do not know if the upfront cost of developing such an app is justified. In general, people tend to massively underestimate the investment required to develop good software, and although both companies certainly could finance such a project, it's not a trivial undertaking.

[Side note: although many smartphone buyers think their dollars are buying them a slab of hardware, and the software that comes with it is free, nothing could be further from the truth. The bill of materials for a high-end smartphone is typically responsible for about 1/4th of the total sales price, and software development is the single biggest engineering expense that comes right after that.]

Many other scenarios are also plausible. I simply do not know.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Either way, there are still several other options in terms of navigation apps. Surely one of those would work just fine. I have been using Google navigation for the past couple of years with no complaints.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720