Excuse Me..Uhh Where is My Ativ S?

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
background: AT&T subscriber

I really REALLY thought this phone was going to be on several carriers ( Verizon,at&t and t-mobile) and after this mornings official announcement my dream of getting this phone has vanquished. I mean I thought with Verizon getting the "ATIV-S Odyssy 4G LTE by Verizon" I just knew it was a custom version for the big Red as it uses CDMA...

But now it really looks like AT&T won't have their own version and I am really confused. I guess I can only speculate a lil bit and believe that Samsung will come out with a specialized AT&T model as they have been very loyal to AT&T and will bump up the HW specs a bit.

Or maybe they will continue to use their Focus branding and come out with a Focus IV? with a new cpu/gpu combo and 2300mh+ size battery. I mean c'mon I have the cyan 900 so the drive to upgrade to yet another cyan 920 is not that strong ( of course if they drop the price to $0.01 on black Friday w/wireless charger I may reconsider as I could use the cost saving to pay for an early upgrade offer for phones coming out in Q2 of 2013 )

I like Samsung products as I have their TV sets, bluray player and etc, so I was hoping that AT&T would get a WP8 Samsung phone and now I am in morning because its official...AT&T is not getting one.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
We really do need to see the ATIV S have broader availability. It is a great phone.

not sure whats going behind the scenes with deals/negotiations and etc. And this is no knock on any of the other WP8 phones but not all phones can meet everyone's needs so having a choice is a good thing.

The Ativ-s is definitely not a carrier switching device 'for me' but not having make pause and wait.

Every 2 years I am 'allowed' to have $214 to spend on a new contract phone so right now I am thinking about pocketing the money to see whats coming ahead...and from the looks of it it will be a long wait ( like May/June 2013 )

Even though I am not on T-Mobile I was hoping they would get it so that the accessory vendors thought it was worthwhile to develop products for the ATIV-S

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If Samsung had any hint of what AT&T is doing with Nokia's L920, it may be a strategic move to wait.

If they wait two or three months they might be able to make them cheaper, keeping a competetive price against the L920. They'll also be able to ride a wave of Windows Phone promotion that will already be out there.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there NO topic where Nokia fans won't talk about Nokia?

Goddess, I can imagine the discussions at your dinner tables.

"I voted for Obama, because he strikes me as the kind of guy who would have a yellow Lumia 920."

"No, no, no. Romney is much smarter than Obama, and he'd choose a cyan 920."

"What about the third party candidates?"

"Oh, they're probably all HTC LOSERS with no PureMotion SuperUltraMega HD+ Series III BrilliantColor displays. LOSERS!"

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is there NO topic where Nokia fans won't talk about Nokia?

Goddess, I can imagine the discussions at your dinner tables.

"I voted for Obama, because he strikes me as the kind of guy who would have a yellow Lumia 920."

"No, no, no. Romney is much smarter than Obama, and he'd choose a cyan 920."

"What about the third party candidates?"

"Oh, they're probably all HTC LOSERS with no PureMotion SuperUltraMega HD+ Series III BrilliantColor displays. LOSERS!"

...says the guy who always brings up HTC in Nokia threads.

They're all Windows Phones, and it's fine to talk about all of them. The strategy of one definitely can affect the strategy of another.

Last edited:

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung ATIV line is suppose to mesh with one another. Not having the ATIVs in the states is a bigtime screw up. Why should I go out and buy a Samsung smart PC is I can't buy the match with Mobile device? In the end if this device was offered on T-MO or Verizon I would have gone with it and bought a smart PC to boot for work. Between the Nokia and AT&T exclusive and the ATIVs not coming to the states the big looser in this is besides the public is the OS. I can see why that perhaps Microsoft wants to produce there own mobile device. with the Exclusive thing in play. I can only dream as a stock holder in Nokia what sales would have been if the best WP8 device wasn't exclusive.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't bring up HTC in Nokia threads.

In every single Nokia thread, every first mention of HTC is made by one of the Nokia fanboys (along with my name, half the time, because I don't believe that the Lumia 920 represents the Second Coming).

It's especially inappropriate here in a Samsung thread. Really!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't bring up HTC in Nokia threads.

In every single Nokia thread, every first mention of HTC is made by one of the Nokia fanboys (along with my name, half the time, because I don't believe that the Lumia 920 represents the Second Coming).

It's especially inappropriate here in a Samsung thread. Really!

You don't think that it's relevant to propose that Samsung waiting could be tied to another major Windows Phone release by a competitor?

Really?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Apple told Samsung the ATIV looks too much like the iPhone and if they release it they'll sue them again.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmiller1976
"If I was rolling my eyes any higher, they'd get stuck".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy
"They'd also look pretty scary".

You guys crack me up! :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs