Thoughts on the 822...

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I know there's probably another thread on this but I wanted to discuss the Lumia 822 and its value proposition.

The pros:
Supersensitive screen
Nokia apps
Price
Expandable storage

Cons:
SD screen
Wireless charging- buy separate backplate
Non-polycarbonate plastic

The unknowns at this point are the battery life, and camera quality. It would be nice to know if these variables are as good or better than the 8X. My purchasing decision would be a little easier as a result. Its discouraging that there aren't many reviews, or ones worth reading anyway. Input?

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The camera looks decent, though doesn't have the same low light ability as the 920. Would be interested to see how it stacks up against the 8X.

The SD screen should help with the battery life. The 822 has the same size battery as the 8X but a substantially greater amount of standby time, so it does better while idling. My guess is the SD screen helps in the regard. Personally, I'm not sure how much of a benefit a 720p screen is on a 4.3" device for most.

Since the screen is lower resolution and the 822 has the same chipset as the 8X with the same amount of memory, I'd guess that the 822 has the potential to be a bit snappier. Take a look at the 8S, HTC's low end WP8 device. It is only a dual core 1GHZ processor with only 512MB of RAM. Just a guess, but the memory probably plays a role in the resolution of the display. The 800x480 devices likely do not need more than 512MB. The 720P devices are 1GB. The 768p devices (Lumia 920) are 2GB of memory.

So the built-in GPU off the Snapdragon will probably be able to drive the lower res display faster and the 1GB of memory should help the phone be a bit snappier than the 8X.

I've personally gone from being certain of getting the 8X towards preferring the 822. When Nokia announced their phones, I actually liked the 820 better than the 920 in many ways. Cost was a factor as was expandability. The major negative on the 820 to me was the lack of Gorilla Glass, but the 822 fixed that.

The resolution is fine on my Trophy and the 822 has a more vibrant screen. The Nokia apps are a huge plus. I don't know how much I care about the wireless charging, but it's an option. I'm fairly certain that the 822 will get a couple hours more battery life than the 8X.

The body was a concern, but the phone looks very solid to me. It might feel "plastic", but there's been talk of flaking on the 8X and I have a feeling the plastic shell on the 822 may prove more durable. I'm not a huge photo guy, but the camera looks to be good. It may not be the industry leader, but I expect it probably is about equivalent to many of the other 8mp cameras out there - it will get the job done and have Nokia's software to back it up.

I'm a big music person. I've been with Zune Pass for over three years and have stayed over through Xbox music. I can load a decent amount of stuff on my 16GB Trophy, but I'd like more. I'll have the same problem with the 8X. Then there's the issue of Nokia Maps. We all get it on WP8 now, but storage is an issue. Downloading the whole US map is over 2GB. When I go on a road trip in the future, I'd prefer to have the whole map. But 2GB is a lot of storage to eat up that could go to music for the trip. Enter microSD expansion. I can grab a 64GB microSD and out a ton of music on the phone. I can also bring extra cards with me and hot swap them. Plus when I use the maps I can use Nokia Drive+.

The major selling point of the 8X to me is the music amps, but that is not enough to sway me to spend an extra $100 on the phone upfront. Wireless charging is not a big deal. It might be if it becomes more ubiquitous, when I can lay my phone down on the table as I eat lunch and let it pick up a bit more charge. But I have plenty of micro-USB chargers for wall jacks and for cars.

I will wait until my upgrade is available on December 17 and will see the pricing on the ATIV (the VZW version is pretty much just the ATIV S). That one might be a bit big and I must admit that Nokia Drive is a big deal to me.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I know there's probably another thread on this but I wanted to discuss the Lumia 822 and its value proposition.

The pros:
Supersensitive screen
Nokia apps
Price
Expandable storage

Cons:
SD screen
Wireless charging- buy separate backplate
Non-polycarbonate plastic

The unknowns at this point are the battery life, and camera quality. It would be nice to know if these variables are as good or better than the 8X. My purchasing decision would be a little easier as a result. Its discouraging that there aren't many reviews, or ones worth reading anyway. Input?

So really the only con you have is a SD screen as wireless charging is built in and YOU DONT NEED to buy another backplate, this is the 2nd time I Have seen this and its false. ALso plastic body? thats not a con, the glass body of my 4s that shattered when not even dropped, but was in my pocket and I bumped (not hard) up against a wall and goodbye phone.

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
So really the only con you have is a SD screen as wireless charging is built in and YOU DONT NEED to buy another backplate, this is the 2nd time I Have seen this and its false. ALso plastic body? thats not a con, the glass body of my 4s that shattered when not even dropped, but was in my pocket and I bumped (not hard) up against a wall and goodbye phone.

Thanks for clearing up the misinformation in my post. I honestly didn't know whether an additional backplate was required for the Qi charging. I would venture to say that most people likewise do not know of the super sensitive screen. I intend on picking up the 822 now- the only question is which color to get and where to buy. Im hoping that WalMart or best buy throw in a wireless charger :)

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
It's all personal preference. I have a blue 8X for work and will probably get myself a red one for personal use. I do not like the feel of the 822 at all. It's a fantastic phone but the wireless charging and the design put the 8X at the top for me, no question about it.

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is built in, but you need the other backplate for it to work. I've covered this in my other posts.

Also, I'm fairly certain super sensitive touch is a 920 variant exclusive. If I'm wrong, I'd love a good source.

EDIT: I'm very happy to say I am wrong about the super sensitive touch. http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia822/specifications/

Interesting indeed. This was one of the big things I wanted...

Last edited:

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is built in, but you need the other backplate for it to work. I've covered this in my other posts.

Also, I'm fairly certain super sensitive touch is a 920 variant exclusive. If I'm wrong, I'd love a good source.

EDIT: I'm very happy to say I am wrong about the super sensitive touch. Nokia Lumia 822 Specifications - Nokia - USA

Interesting indeed. This was one of the big things I wanted...

Strange, as wireless charging is built into the droid incredible 4g as well and it dosent say it anywhere in there...but yet with the 822 its listed as a feature without the usual (back plate sold separately) anywhere near there, which in my opinion is false advertising, again I am pretty sure its in there...also the 822 does have the super sensitvie touch, here is the page

Nokia Lumia 822 Specifications - Nokia - USA

go to design and look in that section, and you will also notice that Qi wireless charging is again listed under hardware as a set item, no optional star added.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For me the 822 isn't that far off in specs from the 8X, so stuff like reception is what's going to be the deciding factor. If I like the way the 822 feels in my hand that's probably what I'll get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99