So, Words with Friends...

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Who else is as disappointed as I am with this app?

Firstly, it's WVGA and looks awful on higher-res phones.
Secondly, it is clearly a bad port and runs sluggishly on my new phone where pretty much everything else runs as smooth as butter.
Thirdly, it's ugly - gradients are so iOS. :rolleyes:

But my main point of content is actually one of functionality.

When I have the tile pinned to my Start screen, it updates whether or not I have it enabled in the app's settings. Not only that, but it does not appear in the Background Tasks area of the main OS settings..

So I have an app doing God-knows-what in the background, and no way of turning it off short of removing it from my Start screen - and even then, how do I know it's turned off?! So much for the 'walled garden' approach if selected apps are exempt from its constraints without having to even inform you.

randokam

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep it's been a frustrating experience for me as well.

I'm glad it's out and that I can continue to play against my friends on other platforms, but wow is it an ugly and amateur looking app!

It also caused my phone to freeze, which had not happened to me until playing it.

Otherwise, it's still fun, but they should have done a better job porting it. Hopefully it will at least get fixed so that it does not freeze, causing a soft reset.

stewpeanut

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
it's working well enough to play (unlike draw something), though is really slow launching and loading my turns. but...the chat/messaging doesn't work at all. i get notifications when someone sends me a message, but they never show up in my chat window. buggy ports.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What pisses me off is MS probably paid them a lot to port this and Zynga said 'sure, why not' and grabbed the cash and gave MS a crappy port that looks like an iOS app. Zynga, you suck. I bought this on WP8 and never bought it on droid, but the droid version is much better. Zynga, make this right and clean this app up.

While you're at it, port Chess forFriends

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
It's a terrible, terrible game. This is the first time I've played it and I can't believe how ugly and slow and frustrating it is for such a popular game. Words By Post is probably a million times better.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm more disappointed with the Draw something app. At least words with friends works, and doesn't break my games making me have to start over again.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
It was the source of all my lockups. Only person I was playing against was my brother. No big loss to me, although glad I had the free version.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought this the day it came out for my Trophy. I got the Lumia 822 and re-installed the version I had paid for. It crashed on both phones a lot.

Anyway, I decided to install the Nokia version and now it works pretty well. It's still a crappy, money grubbing port of the iOS and Android version but at least I can play the game. Hope there is an update to the paid version so I can get rid of the ads soon.

Keckpec29

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Im glad its usable, but to be able to jump right in and play a quick word is out of the question. I get notified I have 1-2 new games ready, after opening the app it takes dang near a minute if not longer to even load the games onto my list. The android and ios version are instantly there.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you like the concept, use Words by Post instead. Its also cross platform, plenty of opponents to play, and runs great on WP. It nearly identical to WWF but smoother, not buggy, and it just plain works

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If you like the concept, use Words by Post instead. Its also cross platform, plenty of opponents to play, and runs great on WP. It nearly identical to WWF but smoother, not buggy, and it just plain works

Does it have a Facebook app? I find that to be the main draw with many of my friends who play WWF.

For me, its an okay place holder that works. Hopefully, Zynga comes out with a better version in the future.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Does it have a Facebook app? I find that to be the main draw with many of my friends who play WWF.

For me, its an okay place holder that works. Hopefully, Zynga comes out with a better version in the future.
I believe it does. It has an option to play with friends from Facebook in the app. And the app is free.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe it does. It has an option to play with friends from Facebook in the app. And the app is free.

I checked. There isn't. When I say play with Facebook friends, I mean my mother in law doesn't have to go to her phone to play. She can play directly through WWF Facebook app or any can and negates the need for a mobile device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)