Whatsapp sucks on WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ouch. I am now more worried than ever for to buy a WP8. My HTC 8S was in the pipeline...i use whatsapp heavily too(wife, friends etc). Dont want to give them a reason to think I am ignoring them...heh!

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

3ibs

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Everyone I know uses it and I used it on my iPhone and previous Android phones. It doesn't suck on WP8 but it does lack some features. Right now I'd be happy if they let us press enter to send, add lock screen notification and for some reason I can't send screenshots.

3ibs

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
When I used iPhone, I was a heavy user of whatsapp with my friends having iphone or android. It was very fast and didnt affect battery drain.

Now, I installed it on my lumia 920 when it became available a few days ago, and after two days of use, I uninstalled it, because it was graphically horrible and seemed to cause battery drain.

I noticed that when you start whatsapp, the music player starts. I googled and it seems that the app is mimicking as a music player so it can stay online and running in background. This is probably why the battery drains faster. Try to use the volume up/down button when whatsapp is running in background. you will notice that the volume toast will contain media control with empty song information...

I had no idea that was being caused by Whatsapp. Either way I can't uninstall it since I heavily rely on it to talk to friends/family.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ouch. I am now more worried than ever for to buy a WP8. My HTC 8S was in the pipeline...i use whatsapp heavily too(wife, friends etc). Dont want to give them a reason to think I am ignoring them...heh!

If you are a heavy Whatsapp user my advise would be to wait with making the jump to WP8 as it is still some way back behind the iOS and BB version (Android I don't know about). Too often I receive a message a good few minutes after it was sent to me, whereas on my iPhone it was always more or less instantaneous.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I did, their response was hilarious (obviously no one bothered, I just got an automated one).
Can't you just fire your Windows Phone
developer(s)? This is getting embarrassing, people get a bit more frustrated
after each update. Don't you read the feedback? If you're not going to take the
platform seriously, why are you bothering? There are plenty of very talented
Windows Phone developers, hire one!
Hi,

Thanks for contacting WhatsApp. Our support
team has received your request (# 3297117). Please check the following before
proceeding:

1. First and foremost, please make sure
that you are using the latest version of WhatsApp from Marketplace: WhatsApp | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

2. Have you read our FAQ? Please
visit:
WhatsApp :: Faq

3. If you are having problems connecting to
WhatsApp, please be sure to read this article:
WhatsApp FAQ - I cannot connect to WhatsApp on my Windows Phone!

If you still have problems or questions
after these steps, please respond to this email and we will do our best to help
you.

Thanks!

WhatsApp Support Team

3ibs

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I did, their response was hilarious (obviously no one bothered, I just got an automated one).

Yes that's an automated response. If you reply to that email they will reply back to you. I've sent them 2 or maybe 3 emails and they've replied back.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are a heavy Whatsapp user my advise would be to wait with making the jump to WP8 as it is still some way back behind the iOS and BB version (Android I don't know about). Too often I receive a message a good few minutes after it was sent to me, whereas on my iPhone it was always more or less instantaneous.

Hmm..thanks man. Android too is instant. In fact its faster than SMS. I am now in a fix. Just when I thought its the right time...Bam!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does WhatsApp have a desktop client?

...it seems to me that if it did, *then* they'd be on to something. Right now, I'm of the "mobile-messaging-like-WhatsApp-is-redundant" camp, but if they had a desktop client? I might be interested in using it.

Not looking for a debate, just thinking. :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Does WhatsApp have a desktop client?

...it seems to me that if it did, *then* they'd be on to something. Right now, I'm of the "mobile-messaging-like-WhatsApp-is-redundant" camp, but if they had a desktop client? I might be interested in using it.

Not looking for a debate, just thinking. :)

That would be awesome...more like iMessage which is on Mountain Lion as well as iPhone...
Wondering of there are any other alternatives?

Dale Ski

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I deleted whats app off my 920 shortly after installing it mostly due to reasons posted here.

1. Battery drain was horrendous
2. When typing there was a lag of a least 1 to 2 seconds before it caught up
3. Messages where hit and miss when received.

Very poor application and I hope some whats app dev's are reading this thread and will do something about it.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
While I feel WhatsApp on WP8 is far better than what it is on 7.5, it still has a long way to go to catch up with the iOS and Android versions.

Also, I hope they remove that background audio service in their next update. That thing sucks battery like ****.

thegoodfight

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp sucks period. There are plenty of other good alternatives out there. Just get your friends on to those, and spread the word about alternatives.

thegoodfight

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
No, it only sucks on WP. So convincing people to use something else just because of us screwed up WP users isn't gonna fly.

Clearly you have different standards then. I've used Whatsapp on ALL platforms, and it sucks on every platform, in different ways. On some platforms it causes weird bugs and crashes, and on most platforms it is a big battery hog. That's not to mention the numerous security holes that Whatsapp is plagued with. Doesn't matter if its iOS, Android, Symbian, WP, Blackberry etc ... every platform that you load Whatsapp onto, it usually causes some sort of issues.

Kik Messenger is objectively better, and is one of the best alternatives out there.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My friends are all using it on iOS and Android and I'm the only one experiencing weird issues. I'm not denying Kik is better (although they have to sort out the notifications/live tile) but asking 50 friends to move over because I'm the only one with a sh*t Whatsapp makes zero sense.

thegoodfight

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
My friends are all using it on iOS and Android and I'm the only one experiencing weird issues. I'm not denying Kik is better (although they have to sort out the notifications/live tile) but asking 50 friends to move over because I'm the only one with a sh*t Whatsapp makes zero sense.

Recommending Kik is not such a bad thing, and yes it does make some sense because Kik has a lot less problems than Whatsapp, but to each their own I guess.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Clearly you have different standards then. I've used Whatsapp on ALL platforms, and it sucks on every platform, in different ways. On some platforms it causes weird bugs and crashes, and on most platforms it is a big battery hog. That's not to mention the numerous security holes that Whatsapp is plagued with. Doesn't matter if its iOS, Android, Symbian, WP, Blackberry etc ... every platform that you load Whatsapp onto, it usually causes some sort of issues.

Kik Messenger is objectively better, and is one of the best alternatives out there.
WhatsApp works brilliantly on iOS and Android. Dunno what you've been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb