Whatsapp sucks on WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am new to WP8 and recently converted from Android. I use Whatsapp messenger to chat with all of my friends. But the app really sucks on WP8. Is there going to be an overhaul or even an update?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've not used WhatsApp*, but I just installed it and it looks OK. Why do you say it sucks?

EDIT: *on Windows Phone 8, I've used it on my old iPhone 4.

Last edited:

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
He is right, WhatsApp is severely lacking in comparison to the Android and iOS versions. But have hope, it is pretty clear that this version of WhatsApp has not been updated/optimized much for WP8 so there may be a decent update coming in the future.

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Give it time. There have been posts and screenshots of a WP8 Whatsapp update, which will hopefully solve the stability issues. I would love for a Whatsapp update to add additional features that iOS and Android have, but we'll see.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
"lacking in comparison" != "sucks"

It does in this scenario. For someone who has never used WhatsApp before you seem to be highly opinionated on the app you never use.
Suggestion: stick to commenting on topics that you can add intelligent and informed comments on rather than spewing garbage.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For someone who has never used WhatsApp before you seem to be highly opinionated on the app you never use.
Suggestion: stick to commenting on topics that you can add intelligent and informed comments on rather than spewing garbage.

I asked GomzyRockz why he or she said the app sucks, so that I could investigate his or her concerns on my own. For someone to whom my question was not addressed you seem to be mouthing off quite a bit. Suggestion: butt out of questions not directed at you.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I asked GomzyRockz why he or she said the app sucks, so that I could investigate his or her concerns on my own. For someone to whom my question was not addressed you seem to be mouthing off quite a bit. Suggestion: butt out of questions not directed at you.

My previous post had a quote from you directly copying something I had said. You dragged me into it, not vice versa.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You replied first but I dragged you into it? You're funny, I remember when I had my first beer. :D

Your reading comprehension must be that of a third grader, my first post in this thread was a direct reply to the OP, not yours. I then proceeded to address you AFTER your witty remark towards my post. Not everything in this world revolves around you. Regardless, you look like a fool and I'll just stop here because I'm not sure if you are seriously this stupid or trolling (I'm kidding I know its not a troll, just making it look like I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Yeah, he's right" is a reply to him? LOL! Are you ESL or something?
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Give it time. There have been posts and screenshots of a WP8 Whatsapp update, which will hopefully solve the stability issues. I would love for a Whatsapp update to add additional features that iOS and Android have, but we'll see.

Could you please link the screenshots I'm curious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Could you please link the screenshots I'm curious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Images of WhatsApp for Windows Phone 8 leaked early on the web | Windows Phone Central

Here you go. Note by the extra stuff seen in the "..." expanded menu in a conversation that this is definitely not the current build.

While I am doubtful, yet hopeful for a "email conversation" option, I do hope it will solve the lag and stability problems seen with the current Whatsapp build.

My personal thoughts to the abyss as to why WP whatsapp sucks currently:
1) crashes if you try to go "too far back" in the history of a conversation. sometimes, i just can't recall a stupid detail but i can't get to it anymore. (albeit this is on the current build with a WP7.5 phone, so maybe this magically doesn't happen with WP8. I haven't had enough chat history yet on my L920 to test this).
2) no email conversation option, which would negate the crashing. I would very much welcome this feature, which I assumed would be there when I switched from Android.
3) sharing location or contact (hopefully on the next build, if the screenshots are indicative)

deadinsidesavior

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It really does. I'm in the same boat, just switched from a Nexus, never used iOS version, but I can tell you Android/iOS version is leaps and bounds better than WP8.
WP8 version isn't just "lacking", it's down right bug ridden. If you put an Android phone and WP8 phone side by side, 9 out of 10 times WP8 will pull down messages with a non-trivial delay.
The live tile does essentially nothing. In Android, if you open Whatsapp and go to the message list, but don't go into the actual tread, it will still be treated as unread, and the notification will remain in the notification area. If you swipe it away but don't read it, it will reappear in the notification area after a certain period of time to remind you, e.g. 30 minutes or something. In WP8, once you open the app, it's gone. I imagine the number bubble in iOS will also remain unless you actually read it.
Notifications are a total hit and miss, some times they come up, some times they don't at all, and you need to manually open the application to get it to pull messages, and then out of nowhere 30 notifications come jumping out and the phone doesn't even have enough time to stop between vibrations.
Then comes actual messaging. I have experienced more than enough times where the massage will not send, or at least appear that way with a ( / ) crossed out icon. I need to back out, i.e. close (not suspend by hitting "home"), of Whatsapp and re-open it to get it to send.
And sharing. This is probably more of a WP8 issue than a Whatsapp issue, I'm not sure. In Android, you can select "send picture", and choose images from practically any installed application that has images, i.e. Dropbox, Gallery, File Explorer, and god forbid even Skydrive (which is actually pretty nice on Android too, albeit a bit slow on loading content). But on WP8, you can't even attach images from MSFT's own SkyDrive, which is pretty sad.

But yeah, those are a few things I have complaints about.
I like the phone, but developer support is still lacking at the moment, that's a fact.

Edit: And if I'm not mistaken Whatsapp is not yet updated for WP8, which is probably what the leak was about. That might be the problem, time will tell. At the moment, it's terrible.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
whatsapp is a battery killer, i finally uninstalled yesterday, cant take it anymore.

Also messages are delayed all the time especially on wifi, using on data instead of wifi is much better, go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077