Otterbox Commuter for Lumia 920

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I got my Commuter for the L920. I expected it to look a bit better than it does... Theres a lot of excess silicone on the edges which makes it looks terrible IMO. For $35 I expected it to look a bit better than that. The case seems to fit pretty well. I can take more photos of the case on the phone when I get home later.

Here is a link to a few quick photos I took.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DFA8E2255CA91F3!866&authkey=!AL0iwwnqwV3j_CU

I'm sorry those are disgusting

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ya that inner rubber was not finished correctly, I hope they replace it with a corrected version for him. Mine came in perfect condition and looked nothing like that. So far I really like the case.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Would someone mind doing a video review of this? I'm deciding this between this and the Incipio Dualpro, but it really depends on which one adds less bulk.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the Incipio is thinner than the Otterbox. If protection is your utimate goal, then go Otterbox. If not, Incipio. I'm kind of undecided myself. I was hoping we could find some deals out there before I buy.

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I just returned the Commuter and I have been using the Incipio. I prefer the Incipio over all. I had 2 main issues with the Commuter. The inner silicone is firmer and caused my screen protector to keep coming up. Secondly, when I used the Commuter with the phone flat on a desk/table it would slide around when I used it because of the slippery hard outer shell. I don't have either of these problems with the Incipio. The Incipio is smaller than the Commuter but offers similar protection in my opinion.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just returned the Commuter and I have been using the Incipio. I prefer the Incipio over all. I had 2 main issues with the Commuter. The inner silicone is firmer and caused my screen protector to keep coming up. Secondly, when I used the Commuter with the phone flat on a desk/table it would slide around when I used it because of the slippery hard outer shell. I don't have either of these problems with the Incipio. The Incipio is smaller than the Commuter but offers similar protection in my opinion.

How much thinner is the incipio than the otterbox? This phone is already thick enough naked lol, I don't need it getting fatter! :p

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I chose not to use a case for my 920. It is already durable enough that I know it will not break when dropped and I think it takes away from the natural beauty of the phone to add any case to it. When I had the Lumia 900 I did buy and use that clear film case that goes over the device, but that was the extent of any case that I would use. I haven't used anything on the 920.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Wish I had your confidence, but I've read about too many cases where the screen shattered with a single drop. Not taking any chances with mine, this guy has to last for a while and I have no insurance.

striker1064

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
How is the Otterbox quality-wise now that you've used it for a while? I had an Otterbox on my last phone (4S), and the silicone on the outside ripped completely after a short time. So I'm very leery of buying another one.

Mazinger

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to see such poor QC from Otterbox. I have had those excess silicone issues as well in the past with their other models but not as bad as yours...that is just horrible and cheap looking. If there's any consolation, at least on the photos you posted while the phone was installed, the poor cut- outs aren't too obvious.

I was originally going to go naked on my black 920 but I was surprised to see stains like the matt coating was wearing off
on the back of the 920 (looks like it was rubbed with acid) as early as the same night I got it so now I have no choice
but to scramble for a case to protect the back from further wear. I've read here in the forums that there are also others
that have the same experience with the matte coating staining.

TraciLords

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Good News!
The Otterbox Commuter N920 case fits inside a Nokia CR-200 car charger.
NFC and wireless charging still works with the case on. I was afraid that I would have had to remove it. That is not the case.(No pun intended :))

Oh! And I find that after 8 months of use, the 'screen on/power' button is no longer a bump as is the camera and volume buttons.
It is almost worn flush with the plastic casing.
And the rubber silicon has gotten very dirty. Ewww.
Thinking of buying a new case just to clean up the phone.

But it has protected the phone from a few nasty drops.
After owning several brands/os's of smartphones for several years now, I can honestly say that I would never buy a case other than Otterbox Commuter or Defender.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6