02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 104105106107108 ...
tools
    This isn't a case of not having "the same kind of service levels". Google deliberately shut down an existing service so that MS customers could no longer dynamically sync their Gmail accounts with Windows devices such as Windows Phone and Surface Pro. In hindsight, it seems obvious that the point was to force people to choose between Gmail and Windows Phone. The strategy clearly worked, but they screwed over a lot of people, including me. Not the kind of behavior you'd expect from a company that likes to pretend that they're morally superior (aka "don't be evil").

Here's some history from the Windows Central archives: Google drops Exchange ActiveSync. What does it mean for Windows Phone? [Updated] | Windows Central
    But ain't Windows 10 is now natively supporting Google services now? I can receive updates from my GMail, Contacts and Calendar on my W10M and desktop. Clearly Google did not force people to choose between GMail and Windows phones. Companies changed their directions now and then. I don't think we can put all the blames on Google just because of that. Microsoft decided to reduce the available disk spaces we had on One Drive too for this coming July - Aug. Can we blame MS for the sudden change of decisions too?

Furthermore, I see Google is still supporting Windows phone 7 & 8 from their support page:
    https://support.google.com/a/users/a..._topic=2752493
    05-29-2016 10:09 PM
    I was planing to replace my Lumia 1520 and buy Xiaomi Mi5 but finally I just gave a new chance to Lumia 950. For now, it's something like huge test. Maybe in 2017 I will switch to Android.

Why? I just though, Microsoft will provide to Windows 10 Mobile true UWP apps like Facebook Client, Messenger or Instagram and more. Those are the biggest communities but it seems like we will receive apps from iOS that don't work on Continuum fuction. Of course maybe something will change or not, so I will wait one more year and then... we will see!
    05-30-2016 04:57 AM
    If you want to jump ship, jumping to iPhone seems better. Suddenly I felt bored with my Lumia 1520 and wanted to try something new, you know, like if it works well and bring better experience why stick yourself to a limited choice. Then I borrow a Lenovo Phab with android 5.1 installed. Honestly, it was painful. I can't see anything better than windows phone: Contact app is awful and can't handle things well, not connected to facebook for images, alternative apps is not better in any way. I can't even find a proper music player apps in thousands of players there, old fashioned UI, bad operation, etc... I gave up after oneday and came back to my ultimate lumia 1520. There're few interesting apps for fun in android but it can't exchange overall bad experiences.
    05-30-2016 06:10 AM
    If the app gap doesn't matter much to you then it is OK but I think the horrible battery draining while using a simple app like whatsapp and overheating and daily restarts for over than four times a day would matter for any one, other than that just go for it

not to mention disappearing of many apps now (Here Drive , Here Maps, Paypal, GMaps) and the horrible stupid navigation app and battery draining
    Last edited by a5cent; 05-30-2016 at 06:48 AM. Reason: merged posts
    05-30-2016 06:30 AM
    My first smartphone was a Windows Phone 7.5 - HTC, then Lumia 920, a Lumia 830 at least, now last since last friday I got an iPhone. So far I'm happy with the iPhone more I will see.

With Windows Phone I was so happy until I upgraded to W10M last december. After that for me a nightmare began: Random restarts two or three times a day. 5 months later and after a lot of updates I "only" had 3 random restarts at week. But still a lot of small bugs here and there, stutterings, screen hangs and more. The Lumia 950 was also a big disappointment for me. I looks so cheap, boring and crappy even the camera has problems with focus.
    kesken likes this.
    05-30-2016 08:22 AM
    Ok, so...
    I came from a Lumia 930. Nice camera and overall performance, but the heating and the display issues... crap. Then i was looking for a larger display and bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (really nice OS), that apparentely stopped charging for no reason, and was 'forced' to switch to a iPhone 5C (Thanks mother-in-law!). Well... i was surprised how good it runs, but i found it so boooring i couldn't use it for long. The display was too tiny for me.
    So, now i was tired of both big and tiny displays and went looking for a normal sized phone. I friend of mine from college had a Lumia 730 to sell, which i found gorgeous. The size was right and appart from lacking 4G, it was a very decent phone. So i found the Lumia 735 for a bargain online and bought it.

The app-gap everyone talks about is actually not that great, at least for me. And although i have a somehow outdated phone, i'm really loving this phone. Its fantastic! Sure, the camera could be better and there's no glance, but it works perfectly and its so confortable to use, i'm seriously considering buying another one for backup.

I have a wireless charger, three covers and a 32gb micro sd card. Really nice config. Appart from the value, i wouldn't trade it for any iPhone or whatever.
    05-30-2016 11:52 AM
    Am I the only one here thinking that getting 950XL is a great choice??

I use Nexus 6P, I am using Google services for last few years however my phone usage is very simple: calendar, email, basic browsing and news. I am REALLY thinking of getting 950XL and migrating my stuff away from Google. App gap does not exist for me. Of all Android apps I did not find maybe two that I can live without on Windows Mobile platform. Microsoft already expressed commitment to Windows Mobile so we seem to be safe here. So why not to get 950XL??
    Because other app makers have not expressed commitment, or have withdrawn support from the platform. While a few basic apps are nice, I've started using more of them since going over to Android. Among them the banking apps have become of great importance to me, and the huge spread of games and other useful apps has helped keep me away from Windows Mobile.

At this point, Microsoft seems to be floundering/giving support at the same time which is damn weird, and does not fill me with any real trust in the platform as the company's dedication is fairly weak at best. For the time being, LG/TMO's support of my G3 has been quite satisfactory, and put the support of my L810 to shame.
    Laura Knotek, mark233 and libra89 like this.
    05-30-2016 05:35 PM
    Grabbed 3 Lumia 730 for my family they all love the phone . My 11 year old son was not happy that he did not get an iPhone like his friends but after 12 months use and abuse his phone still looks fantastic and works where his friends have had replacements phones or are using phones with cracked screens. over all he is happy with the decision I forced upon him now.
    05-30-2016 06:46 PM
    Slipping my sim back into the SE. I really liked the Xperia Z3 but apparently the signal sucks in my area particularly with this device. Having major battery drain because something just doesn't compute with it (everything else is normal). Weirdly enough, it seems to be the same issue that I have had with the Lumia 735.

I don't regret trying it though, lets see how much the XA would be if Sony decides to release it here...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-30-2016 08:10 PM
    Grabbed 3 Lumia 730 for my family they all love the phone . My 11 year old son was not happy that he did not get an iPhone like his friends but after 12 months use and abuse his phone still looks fantastic and works where his friends have had replacements phones or are using phones with cracked screens. over all he is happy with the decision I forced upon him now.
    Maybe he has another hidden phone, that's why your son still has his in good conditions.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-30-2016 08:53 PM
    Slipping my sim back into the SE. I really liked the Xperia Z3 but apparently the signal sucks in my area particularly with this device. Having major battery drain because something just doesn't compute with it (everything else is normal). Weirdly enough, it seems to be the same issue that I have had with the Lumia 735.

I don't regret trying it though, lets see how much the XA would be if Sony decides to release it here...
    That's a funny thing. I knew Nokia for having good signal devices, but I think that's over, my 6S detects LTE signal where a Lumia 830 struggles with 3G.
    05-30-2016 09:39 PM
    That's a funny thing. I knew Nokia for having good signal devices, but I think that's over, my 6S detects LTE signal where a Lumia 830 struggles with 3G.
    I agree, it is funny. I do also think it is area dependent too, for sure.
    For some people, the 735 and 830 are just fine in their areas. In my area though, it is either LTE or Edge (2G), which is an awful experience to have them switch like that.

To be fair, when I had a 5C, I noticed a similar thing but unlike the Lumias, it had more of a regular range from LTE, 4G, 3G and Edge/GRPS.

With the SE, I only see Edge in the building I work, because my work area sucks in general. Otherwise, I never see it really.
    05-30-2016 09:58 PM
    ...and here is my iPhone 6s that is THE slowest when having to switch from a 3G signal back to 4G/LTE. My 830, 735, Moto X Pure, and HTC One M8 are much faster to do this. I've had to toggle my iPhone's airplane mode to get back to 4G LTE more than once lol. My 925 is also a bit slow (and it's t-mobile branded like the HTC). However, this is getting off topic so I'll just stop there ....
    05-30-2016 10:18 PM
    Microsoft has done that before, i.e. to pay developers for certain apps. After the initial coding, keeping them interested by giving regular updates is the problem. How will you solve that.
    05-30-2016 11:46 PM
    Satya Nadella was named Microsoft CEO February 2014. What was the Microsoft Mobile world like before he started? Well here's an article to remind everyone from January 2014: Kantar data shows Windows Phone holding 10% sale share in EU5

Basically, Nadella has crushed Microsoft Mobile with bad strategic and tactical decisions. He thought he could drop Windows Mobile OS and devices, but deliver services on Android and iOS that people would use. He was completely and utterly wrong. People are strongly biased to use the services native to OS.

Nadella's complete failure on "Mobile First":
    Microsoft?s Office Being Dominated by Google Productivity Apps on Mobile? - WinBuzzer

So not only did Nadella kill Microsoft Mobile OS and devices, his strategy is killing Microsoft in Mobile services too.

PC's continue to be on the decline, while the area Nadella abandoned (phones) are on still on the rise. Phones are the consumer IT of the present and future. Running to the Enterprise will only protect him until the new Android/Google users become decision makers in companies. Once that generation is in control of the enterprise decisions, Microsoft will be done.

In other words, if leaders of a company use Android phones, Chrome, Gmail, Google, etc. for their personal devices, they will be strongly biased to chose Google services and products (stuff they are comfortable with) for the Enterprises they run. IBM already learned this lesson decision makers chose Microsoft products (stuff they used at home), but Microsoft (and specifically Nadella) didn't learn from IBM's painful decline from relevance.

Look, everyone loved Nadella when he started, but every new CEO gets a honeymoon period, and that takes the stocks to unreasonable heights based on speculation of future greatness. Remember when Mayer took over at Yahoo? However, it is clear to see that Nadella has already made too many mistakes. The stock is starting to slide, Nadella abandoned Mobile, while PC's decline. How long before Google fans become enterprise decision makers, and Microsoft fails in Cloud and Enterprise too? It will take 5-10 years for Microsoft to recover from his 2 year term, and that would be if they fired him today.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.
    This is the utter and complete disaster Nadella has managed to pull off in just a few years.
    05-31-2016 03:02 AM
    Microsoft has done that before, i.e. to pay developers for certain apps. After the initial coding, keeping them interested by giving regular updates is the problem. How will you solve that.
    There needs to be a money incentive for the developers to update their app. Both the developer and the customer / user have to have skin in the game. Good developers, with good apps, should be able to earn more money by updating their app. I would gladly buy such apps again each year, for an updated version. The paid apps cost so very little now. The apps I don't use very often, I don't care about, or are written poorly, I wouldn't pay to update.

Just an idea.
    Best Wishes
    05-31-2016 03:21 AM
    There needs to be a money incentive for the developers to update their app. Both the developer and the customer / user have to have skin in the game. Good developers, with good apps, should be able to earn more money by updating their app. I would gladly buy such apps again each year, for an updated version. The paid apps cost so very little now. The apps I don't use very often, I don't care about, or are written poorly, I wouldn't pay to update.

Just an idea.
    Best Wishes
    The main issue is with certain apps that are free on all platforms, that Microsoft paid developers who weren't interested in building for Windows Phone, such as Instagram. Hopefully the new Instagram won't have that problem. However, the original Instagram Beta never got updated. Users wouldn't pay for Instagram when it's free on iOS and Android.

There are other examples, but that's the one that I recall off the top of my head.
    libra89, RumoredNow and chmun77 like this.
    05-31-2016 03:50 AM
    As for Me. I'll go for Windows Phone/Mobile. Windows Phone/Mobile is still the BEST for me, I'm not a fanboy. I even used iPhones and Android but I feel so bored with it.
    iPhone/iOS? naahhhhhh. Nevermind, even Millions of people will try to give an iPhone/iPad/anything with Apple. I won't use it even it costs a Million British Pound per iPhone.
    Android? naaahhnaaahhnaahhh.. Why you? Why are you so lag when my Storages are near to full? Come on. In every Android Phones that I've used they are all the same as lag as hard as a rock.
    I won't buy iPhones or AndroidPhones even if they are the one that were left in the phone age. I will just stick with my Windows Phone/Mobile.
    BUT I hope someday or maybe tomorrow Microsoft Windows Phone/Mobile would stand on top of them ALL.
    05-31-2016 08:00 AM
    Apathy from Microsoft regarding Windows Mobile couldn't possibly be more clear. They have stopped putting any effort into it and are waiting for people to just give up. It is Microsoft's evident belief that Smartphones have peaked and are waning. They are very wrong, people are just waiting for something new and innovative. The smartphone isn't dead, it's stagnant. No one is doing anything new or different with them. We don't need to regurgitate old ideas in a new dress! What we want is to be able to fully run our lives from our own private terminal. Smartphones need new vital capabilities and carriers are killing smartphones with limited data plans. Give the world unlimited 5G data and smartphones that can replace all of our other tech and they will boom again.
    Kar98 and Greg Wenzler like this.
    05-31-2016 08:08 AM
    ...They are very wrong, people are just waiting for something new and innovative. The smartphone isn't dead, it's stagnant...
    Absolutely! A year ago I went from a Galaxy S4 to Lumia 640. I originally got the 640 because I was intrigued by WM8. I loved it so much I switched and Fast-Ringed it to W10M and soldered in wireless charging.
    I was SO looking forward to Surface Phone (since my whole family has Surface Pros). When I say looking forward to Surface Phone, I guess I'm saying I was looking for a premium, solid, device that brought something innovative to the table. I actually figured they would take Continuum to the next level and sell a companion Surface tablet shell that used the Surface Phone in Continuum mode.

...but then Microsoft said 2017 for Surface phone. WHAT! Do they really think Windows 10 Mobile will last that long? Microsoft's development is top-notch. Their corporate direction is odd and their marketing is non-existent.
    libra89 and kesken like this.
    05-31-2016 08:47 AM
    I'm not a fanboy.
    05-31-2016 11:17 AM
    agreed and very well put; the heady heights of EU5 10% are long gone and windows phone/mobile has been abandoned. it's weird huh!? i'd personally say 10% in any market is good given that the difference between it (winph) and ios wasn't as big as you might think... with some clever marketing and solid devices we could have done even better. it's truly baffling how one could drop the ball like this... a reason is that they simply looked at the USA (and maybe Chinese) market share as the key indicator of success and called it a day - typical of a us- centric company i'm afraid.

anyhow after being an MS loyalist (dell venue pro, samsung omnia 7, htc 8x, lumia 930, lumia 950xl) i think it's time to go nexus 6p and call it a day. i'm tired of the whole waiting game of MS to pull something out of the bag. time to put the lumia 950xl into a bag and dispose of it!
    05-31-2016 11:34 AM
    Satya Nadella was named Microsoft CEO February 2014. What was the Microsoft Mobile world like before he started? Well here's an article to remind everyone from January 2014: Kantar data shows Windows Phone holding 10% sale share in EU5

Basically, Nadella has crushed Microsoft Mobile with bad strategic and tactical decisions. He thought he could drop Windows Mobile OS and devices, but deliver services on Android and iOS that people would use. He was completely and utterly wrong. People are strongly biased to use the services native to OS.

Nadella's complete failure on "Mobile First":
    Microsoft?s Office Being Dominated by Google Productivity Apps on Mobile? - WinBuzzer

So not only did Nadella kill Microsoft Mobile OS and devices, his strategy is killing Microsoft in Mobile services too.

PC's continue to be on the decline, while the area Nadella abandoned (phones) are on still on the rise. Phones are the consumer IT of the present and future. Running to the Enterprise will only protect him until the new Android/Google users become decision makers in companies. Once that generation is in control of the enterprise decisions, Microsoft will be done.

In other words, if leaders of a company use Android phones, Chrome, Gmail, Google, etc. for their personal devices, they will be strongly biased to chose Google services and products (stuff they are comfortable with) for the Enterprises they run. IBM already learned this lesson decision makers chose Microsoft products (stuff they used at home), but Microsoft (and specifically Nadella) didn't learn from IBM's painful decline from relevance.

Look, everyone loved Nadella when he started, but every new CEO gets a honeymoon period, and that takes the stocks to unreasonable heights based on speculation of future greatness. Remember when Mayer took over at Yahoo? However, it is clear to see that Nadella has already made too many mistakes. The stock is starting to slide, Nadella abandoned Mobile, while PC's decline. How long before Google fans become enterprise decision makers, and Microsoft fails in Cloud and Enterprise too? It will take 5-10 years for Microsoft to recover from his 2 year term, and that would be if they fired him today.
    The stock is starting to slide? Look at a chart from 2/4/2014 through today. Overall, done nothing but going up. Yeah it, it took a huge dip in April, but it's started moving it's way back up and even during that dip it was higher than when he took over.

He hasn't dropped the Mobile OS - only the devices - and mostly because they weren't selling. Do you really think it would have mattered if people loved the 950 and 950XL style and the OS hadn't been buggy? The answer is no. Microsoft got into the game too late. The lack of apps was too much to overcome. Companies can't justify spending resources on developing for a platform with such a small market share. If I recall correctly (and I'm not going to take the time to look it up), at it's best it never cracked 4 or 5% in the U.S. They were too late to market. Maybe if they hadn't gone so long without releasing new, high-end phones (before the 950 & XL) it might have helped, but I doubt it.

As for the PC decline - that has nothing to do with Nadella - it was going to happen anyway. Unfortunately they were out of the mobile battle race, and retrenching was the right thing to do. Their current strategy was just throwing money away on devices people weren't buying. And the mobile OS still exists and probably will for a while.

I agree with you that their battle for services on competing mobile platforms is going to be a tough battle.

Right now, MS is making the right play: investing heavily in being a cloud provider, providing services and VMs regardless of what OS they're running. That's where the future is and right now I think they're well ahead of Google. In that space, Amazon is their big competitor.

Microsoft has dropped the ball in many ways, but to blame Nadella is ludicrous. Way too early to tell.
    05-31-2016 12:37 PM
    I was an Android user for years. I waited patiently for a year or more for Microsoft to release their flagship phones in 2015. When the Lumia 950 and 950XL were released, I couldn't convince myself to spend the dollars they were asking for those phones. They were over priced. So, still wanting to try Windows Phone, I jumped a the chance to buy a Lumia 640 for only $39.00 from the Windows Store (I also bought one for my wife). I figured, if I like it, I can buy a flagship phone in a few months when the prices come down. I got on the insider program and have Windows 10 running on the phones.

We'll prices have been coming down. A few weeks ago, you could get a free Lumia 950 with the purchase of a Lumia 950XL. I almost made the jump. Then I decided that I like my Lumia 640. There is really no compelling reason to upgrade.

I'm looking forward to staying with Windows Phone. I really like the platform. I'm guessing that my next Windows Phone will have to come from a non-Microsoft manufacturer. And, I'm OK with that.
    05-31-2016 12:41 PM
    I had a Samsung Focus (Win 7.x), a Nokia Lumia 920 (Win 8.x), and an HTC One M8 for Windows (Win 8.x/10.x preview). After getting shafted by HTC and them not wanting to support what is barely a 1-year old phone (or Microsoft's fault, who knows), I was left high and dry. Windows 8.x, after using Windows 10 Mobile, wasn't going to work for me after getting used to and really liking Windows 10 Mobile. I ended up abandoning the platform and opting for a low budget Samsung Galaxy Express Prime with Android 6 Marshmallow. I am not sure if I'll return to Windows on a mobile device at this point or not as I've lost my willingness to support a platform I had supported for so many years. I hate Apple, so Android was the only logical choice after deciding Windows 8.x was not going to work for me. The devices running Windows 10 Mobile right now aren't worth the money.
    Greg Wenzler, kesken and kesken like this.
    05-31-2016 02:16 PM
5,457 ... 104105106107108 ...