And before making the jump, I'd really advise you to take a good long look at some Apple customer forums and see what users are complaining about for iOS.

Oh, and you'll miss expandable storage. You can't put an SD card into an iPhone - Apple want you to pay a huge premium to get the larger capacity devices.
    Thanks Pete. I pretty much use OneDrive for everything so the SD card isn't a big deal. Unless OneDrive is less functional for iOS?
    06-17-2016 05:12 AM
    I don't think it's less functional (it's just a website with storage after all). The only issue is connectivity I guess, but if you're tied into OneDrive anyway, there's no real issue. Your challenge is really whether the Apple core apps will play happily with your cloud storage setup or whether they'll lead you into buying an iCloud plan.
    mikepalma and RumoredNow like this.
    06-17-2016 05:19 AM
    I don't think it's less functional (it's just a website with storage after all). The only issue is connectivity I guess, but if you're tied into OneDrive anyway, there's no real issue. Your challenge is really whether the Apple core apps will play happily with your cloud storage setup or whether they'll lead you into buying an iCloud plan.
    Yea, true. I will want the photos to auto upload to one drive at full res. for example...
    06-17-2016 05:21 AM
    Yeah. You'd need to log into iMore, MacRumours, or some other Apple centric forum to ask these questions.

The odds are that you'd need some kind of third party app that scans your camera roll and syncs. And obviously here, you're running a risk of exposing your Microsoft Account credentials to a third party app. And of course, developers would never, ever abuse authentication guidelines....
    Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    06-17-2016 05:55 AM
    Nothing you won't miss anything in fact you will get better Microsoft apps on ios Microsoft made it easier for Windows Mobile users to switch to iPhone instead of making windows mobile a top priority and bring more users to the platform they decided that Microsoft customers should just switch to ios and Android ✋😡
    mikepalma and J Dubbs like this.
    06-17-2016 06:37 AM
    If Microsoft don't release any decent new gadget (or at least some good news) by the end of this year, I'll definitely switch platform. As a fan since WP7, I'm almost at my limit!
    06-17-2016 08:38 AM
    Yea, true. I will want the photos to auto upload to one drive at full res. for example...
    I'll be glad to tell you my experience, if it will help. The iPhone has been my DD with occasional switching to various Androids and my 640 on Insider for months now. OneDrive (and Outlook too) is excellent on iOS. For the most part, you can have images upload there directly instead of iCloud. I don't even use iCloud at all. It's not as instant as it is on Windows Phone but it will upload. iOS makes it easy to set other services as primary. For example, I never have to open the mail app to read mail. I get an Outlook notification and I read it in Outlook.

My contacts being hosted in Outlook is also great, because again, you can carry that to the iPhone.

Check these great links out on how to make it all work:
    iPhone for the Windows Guy: Getting Started
    iPhone for the Windows Guy: Use Your Microsoft Accounts

As for what you'll miss, as said, you will miss customization. iOS is the bare bones of customization. You can change your wallpaper, lock screen, rearrange your icons, and use a 3rd party keyboard like Word Flow, which will allow the swiping that you are probably used to. SwiftKey does the same, along with GBoard. That's about it. If you're anything like me, you'll miss having a phone that can be any color you want (or truly different). And no, it's not the same experience with a case. That's what people like to make you think. The only way to try to get there is with a case.

Me missing that is what has me going back and forth so much. I love how simple things work on iOS but the customization makes it hard for me to be content.

Some people here might say, oh that doesn't matter, or that it's not a big deal. This is one of those things that is very person dependent.
    mark233, Pete, mikepalma and 2 others like this.
    06-17-2016 08:53 AM
    Excellent information. Thanks very much. I don't customize very much, so colors etc aren't a huge concern relative to the OS stability and functional camera app that I need...950xl camera app has been horrible, and w10m official has not been fun for a DD, especially on what I thought was a flagship...

Again thanks for the great info on Outlook and OneDrive
    libra89 likes this.
    06-17-2016 10:14 AM
    Excellent information. Thanks very much. I don't customize very much, so colors etc aren't a huge concern relative to the OS stability and functional camera app that I need...950xl camera app has been horrible, and w10m official has not been fun for a DD, especially on what I thought was a flagship...

Again thanks for the great info on Outlook and OneDrive
    You're welcome! Let us know what you think when/if you decide to go that way.

Edit: I slipped my sim back into the 640 just because I wanted to try the new update. Guess what now? The ESPN app is supposed to be my substitution since At Bat doesn't show the whole notification. What good is this if it doesn't push any notifications, even after I allowed it to. I have tried a hard reset, it just doesn't work. This is annoying. It seems like it's always one app for me, lol.

Had the crazy idea to try a 5x again because it's on sale for $229 at B&H for today only. Here goes...lol
    Last edited by libra89; 06-17-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    mikepalma likes this.
    06-17-2016 10:33 AM
    You can't put an SD card into an iPhone - Apple want you to pay a huge premium to get the larger capacity devices.
    Apple makes you pay a premium even for smaller capacity devices. :)
    mark233, libra89 and J Dubbs like this.
    06-17-2016 12:18 PM
    You're welcome! Let us know what you think when/if you decide to go that way.

Edit: I slipped my sim back into the 640 just because I wanted to try the new update. Guess what now? The ESPN app is supposed to be my substitution since At Bat doesn't show the whole notification. What good is this if it doesn't push any notifications, even after I allowed it to. I have tried a hard reset, it just doesn't work. This is annoying. It seems like it's always one app for me, lol.

Had the crazy idea to try a 5x again because it's on sale for $229 at B&H for today only. Here goes...lol
    Well I got a loaner iPhone 6 Plus. First impression is the smoothness of the UI. Scrolling is like butter compared to w10m. You weren't kidding about the apps. So many more features for those few apps that I use.. Also the MS apps are much more feature rich and better quality too, which is kinda shocking!

Another neat thing that is also useful is th landscape home screen. Shoulda been a given on 950xl. I will test out the camera and photos app this weekend as thisr are super important for me.

Oh yeah, I can t get over how it never heats up and the battery life so far blows the Lumia away on side by side video playback test.
    06-17-2016 08:10 PM
    Some thoughts since switching to a Galaxy and Android:

1. MS's flow keyboard and autocomplete accuracy are superior. Like really really rrreally better. I'd say around half the time the S7 is completely off with the word suggestions.

2. Groove Music is awful and there's no excuse. Every music app I've tried on Android is better including the stock Google Play app. Step it up MS. I know that Zune code is in Bill Gates mancave somewhere.

3. It's still early but it feels like Android lags more than w10m (even Insider builds).

4. The build quality of the Galaxy, Note, Nexus and every other phone I tied in the store makes the 950 look like a Fisher Price toy.

edit: 5. Probably the most surprising to me was that Android seems to experience some of the same intermittent notification issues as w10m. Notification count icons on the home screen are sometimes inaccurate or just don't go away even after opening apps. I expected these kinds of things to be issues Google would've had down to a science since this space has been their focus for so long. I actually feel bad for trashing w10m everytime notification counters on tiles would fall out of sync or stop working completely.

So I took the bad with the good, but if they can somehow get the app situation in order (which I doubt they ever will) and get some of the more popular vendors to build some phones I'd go back. Still early but at its core I think w10m is a better OS. Put Groove out of its misery though.
    Last edited by offbeatbop; 06-18-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    06-18-2016 10:00 AM
    I prefer Windows Phone over iOS and Android, but for God's sake, get people to build some apps for it. It's really stable, easy to use, infinitely customizable, and it's "different". I'm not one who strives to be "different" all the time, but I'm not a sheep, either.
    Jackson Ombati likes this.
    06-18-2016 11:12 AM
    I left android for a Titan II back in the day because of the lag / ads / constant crashing of apps and bloatware that's always running. I've been through 7 Windows Phones myself of various price points and my entire family is running windows phones; but nothing has been so displeasing as Windows 10 Mobile and it's lack of stability. Even on their release build, photos crash, camera crashes, phone reboots, unable to answer calls, etc. Too many photo moments of my kids have been missed because I can't take a picture without it 1. requiring a reboot first or 2. crashing and not actually saving anything.

Yes a hard reset makes things better for a little while but the problems always come back. A hard reset is not a solution; but an admission that W10M is not designed to be a daily driver or reliable.

I now have a stable 640 again because it's running WP8. Yet the browser now hangs on almost every page visited due to the ads ( including windowscentral) making it not a long term solution either. I've given up, and am waiting for a LG G4 purchase to arrive. I hope MS get's this mess straightened out soon or the family won't be far behind in replacing theirs.
    dellaster likes this.
    06-18-2016 03:24 PM
    Well I got a loaner iPhone 6 Plus. First impression is the smoothness of the UI. Scrolling is like butter compared to w10m. You weren't kidding about the apps. So many more features for those few apps that I use.. Also the MS apps are much more feature rich and better quality too, which is kinda shocking!

Another neat thing that is also useful is th landscape home screen. Shoulda been a given on 950xl. I will test out the camera and photos app this weekend as theseare super important for me.

Oh yeah, I can t get over how it never heats up and the battery life so far blows the Lumia away on side by side video playback test.
    UPDATE:

So the iPhone is extremely impressive. It simply blows away the Lumia in the above areas.

The Camera:
    All I can say is Wow! First, it loads instantly and takes photos in a millisecond. Rapid fire, no problem. No crashes or stutters or delays or "Saving Photo". Man, I missed so many photos with Lumia, it's disconcerting. The quality from the naked eye seems as good in daylight and better in low light. I have yet to print side by side but will check that out too. Regardless I won't be missing any shots. The dedicated Lumia camera button is nice, but the Camera functionality is leagues better in the iPhone.

Btw, after day of heavy use battery still at 38%. My 950XL would've been on the charger twice in that same period.

Extremely impressive device (and it's a 6 vs 950XL, so the 6S is likely even better).
    libra89, dellaster, wgs84 and 1 others like this.
    06-18-2016 07:26 PM
    I am back and have interesting news. For the last couple of weeks I have been heavily invested un remaining angry and disappointed with Lumia on 10 with Edge...you know...the pretend browser.
    I arrived in Edmonton 2 days ago to visit one of the office locations.
    In the hotel I discovered my 950 was drained...what a surprise.
    I swapped with my 640 xl and noticed that my screen had burned a bit. So I went to the big mall here and visited the MS store.
    They did not have any 640xl phones in stock but gave me another 650 with a case and the pure glass protector and a 64 gb chip...as a replacement...I almost fell over.
    So I found myself playing with a 650 again after swearing up and down NEVER again. Stay with me folks...it gets better! I have no idea why but short of being slower and not as good a camera as the 950...this phone is so much more reliable. Typing is far more fluid and things are simply less frustrating. Having said that...it still freezes and remains unresponsive and needs rebooting and the battery is awful. So after speaking with a few techs at the store and discussing our individual MS certs and qualifications...(I find it to be the best lead in to the tough questions)...i ask..."How are these flag ship being recieved by the daily power user". His answer? "They are not as the they are being returned". This time I didn't almost fall over as I was not surprised at all. I was just sad. In the hr that I was there...i kid you not, I saw a 950 and an XL getting returned. The biggest complaint...The OS. I saw A Surface Pro 4 laptop disaster get returned With a dead screen after a week. I recognize that all tech can have issues. But in a store that empty...it was a sad thing to see.
    Anyways, I was still quite pleased with what they had done for me regarding my 640. But it was starting to make sense...the ship is sinking.
    Not to waste a trip to that massive mall in Edmonton, I decided it was time to pull the trigger and spend some of my corporate IT budget for discovery. I marched quickly to both Samsung and Apple...to discovery many people at each.
    I purchased a fully loaded unlocked Apple 6s and then got the fully loaded Samsung Galaxy S7 with a 128 gb chip.
    After one day here is what I discovered. Either of these products will literally eat the MS flagships. The apple hardware is no slouch but nothing compared to the 950 and STILL blows it away. Apps...wow! Galaxy S7? The best phone i have ever used. Period!
    06-19-2016 12:40 AM
    I must continue my last post as I mistakenly posted.
    This Samsung I the first droid product for me. I know I best phone after a day but I would admit that the driving force that got me to come back to MS phones was Apple. Having said that...Unlock codes for Samsung provided and am fee from carrier.
    The phone looks like the price you pay. Unlike the 950's.
    Fast Fast and Fast. Camera is not as good but certainly nothing to complain about and it is fast and reliable. I havent had a crash yet and have not had to reset. Apps...yes folks...most MS app for android are equal to and often better...how sad. I will have to give the Galaxy as much of a chance as I have given Lumia on 10 with edge. Somehow I doubt I will have to however. I will obviously continue to play with the few Lumia's I have. But for now I am playing daily driving with a robot.
    Sorry Lumia...we were so close. :(
    libra89 likes this.
    06-19-2016 02:18 AM
    Yep.
    It's really unbelievable how much better MS apps work on iOS than on 950xl, the "flagship". Thanks Satya for making the switch so much easier. No wonder Kantar shows 1.3% share...
    Seymour Butzz and libra89 like this.
    06-19-2016 05:48 AM
    After picking up a new Moto X Pure Edition I've started to realize windows was much better than I thought it was. The last android phone I had was running froyo 2.2.2, which was MUCH more basic than the Marshmallow 6.0 on my new $300 android phone, but it was also MUCH more stable. I'm actually pretty disappointed with my new android, and was windows phone shopping for a possible replacement. That's when I noticed you can't easily FIND any NEW windows phones for sale running 8.1 or above :( And if you want W10M be willing to shell out some big bucks :o

I'm going to get a really good sim adapter, and switch between my new android, and old windows 10 phone running the latest 10 build whenever one or the other irritates me enough. Heck I'd like to have an iphone to switch around with to see how they all stack up for my needs. I might just try and pick an older model up
    mark233 and libra89 like this.
    06-19-2016 06:00 AM
    Have been with windows mobile for 4 years, previously with htc8x and then the Lumia 930 (great phone by the way). Was given notice by EE (uk) that I was due a upgrade. Nothing out there apart from the Lumia 950 and 950xl which I wasn't too bothered about. So thought a getting a sim only monthly rolling contract. I also started to look around at other mobiles especially android and came across the Nexus 6p, read a lot of websites and peoples reviews and became fascinated by it. So after careful consideration a decided to go for it and personally its the best thing I have done mobile phone wise. Unbelievable phone, fast, slick running marshmallow pure android, monthly updates from Google, no bloat ware Have been using it for 6 days and honestly the o's seems to be miles ahead of windows 10. I enjoyed my time on the windows platform but now I am gonna enjoy this bad boy.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and dbdayton like this.
    06-19-2016 01:17 PM
    I also started to look around at other mobiles especially android and came across the Nexus 6p, read a lot of websites and peoples reviews and became fascinated by it. So after careful consideration a decided to go for it and personally its the best thing I have done mobile phone wise. Unbelievable phone, fast, slick running marshmallow pure android, monthly updates from Google, no bloat ware Have been using it for 6 days and honestly the o's seems to be miles ahead of windows 10. I enjoyed my time on the windows platform but now I am gonna enjoy this bad boy.
    Glad to hear it, because I think I'm going to follow the same path. The 6P battery life is supposed to be fantastic and the idea of pure Android instead of the crapware the manufacturers and carriers put on it puts it over the top.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and sportex like this.
    06-19-2016 08:45 PM
    I prefer Windows Phone over iOS and Android, but for God's sake, get people to build some apps for it. It's really stable, easy to use, infinitely customizable, and it's "different". I'm not one who strives to be "different" all the time, but I'm not a sheep, either.
    Sadly, the ONLY way to GET people to build apps for WP is dollars and cents. Looking at the pathetic market share for windows phone now is a big NO for the devs. Even with the bridging available for iOS - UWP, devs may not even feel like spending efforts porting apps over to windows phone. Apparently, lots of average consumers don't really bothers about customization but rather, they want apps which can meet their daily needs.
    06-19-2016 09:05 PM
    Have been with windows mobile for 4 years, previously with htc8x and then the Lumia 930 (great phone by the way). Was given notice by EE (uk) that I was due a upgrade. Nothing out there apart from the Lumia 950 and 950xl which I wasn't too bothered about. So thought a getting a sim only monthly rolling contract. I also started to look around at other mobiles especially android and came across the Nexus 6p, read a lot of websites and peoples reviews and became fascinated by it. So after careful consideration a decided to go for it and personally its the best thing I have done mobile phone wise. Unbelievable phone, fast, slick running marshmallow pure android, monthly updates from Google, no bloat ware Have been using it for 6 days and honestly the o's seems to be miles ahead of windows 10. I enjoyed my time on the windows platform but now I am gonna enjoy this bad boy.
    Android has come a long way. There are still people calling Android lagdriods etc etc but I doubt they even tried the latest Android at all. I find Android is now running smoothly even the budgeted Xiaomi Note 3. On the other hand, running the latest official build of W10M on my 640XL is making the phone aged! Using the windows store app is just so dreadful experience when I browse through apps on the store. The loading circle is always there and information about apps are taking ages to load.
    sportex and unuzerounu like this.
    06-19-2016 09:09 PM
    Ok...2 days on the Galaxy 7 and feel pretty comfortable already. I will give the Iphone the the CEO when I get back...he is a fan boy, and he did pay for it after all.
    I must admit however, that I am saddened beyond understanding with regards to the 15 month adventure on Lumia 10 and Edge.
    Being in the enterprise...i cant imagine how any it personal worth the salary they are paid could possibly recommend Lumia. I was thinking today...when did I really start to get frustrated? I think it was when Sway was never going to be made and noticed quickly afterwards that MS was basically abandoning there own product by weaker apps to their loyal base than what was available for IOS and Android. I will leave this post as my final in the topic with this last memory for all that read it...
    "almost done upgrading and it will be well worth the wait"
    Anyone care to count how many times you fell for that line?
    It should have said..."You again"!
    "Are you some kind of glutton for punishment"?
    dbdayton likes this.
    06-19-2016 11:02 PM
    So it's been just over a week since I switched from a Lumia 925 to a Nexus 6P. Certainly, a lot of the improvement in speed and performance I got likely would have been there with a 950 XL as well, but I got a nice deal on the 6P and I just couldn't bring myself to invest another several hundred dollars in Windows when the future remains rather uncertain. Making the switch was a lot easier than I expected, and I find the interface quite nice. I was thinking I would greatly miss the tiles, but I've got a pretty clean homescreen layout with a couple of widgets for weather, email, even OneNote. The apps have been pretty fantastic overall, both in terms of some that were missing on Windows (my bank app for example), as well as the ones that are just so much better on Android (like Facebook Messenger). Unfortunately Cortana on Android isn't available outside the US, and I don't really feel like changing my region to try and get it, because I'm tired of trying to adapt myself to fit Microsoft. Google Now has had feature parity in everything I used to ask Cortana, and the voice recognition is both fast and accurate (Cortana usually was accurate, but was unbelievably slow on my 925).

I'm thinking this phone will definitely be able to last me a couple of years, at which point I'll reevaluate Windows mobile and see what Microsoft has done. As I've stated many times in the past on this site, I really like them and what their vision is, and I don't see them giving up anytime soon, but I also don't have complete confidence that they'll make it there just yet.

I will say this though, I've started browsing Android sites and forums, and oh man do I hate all the Apple vs Android fanboy wars. At least with Windows Mobile we were like the underdog and complained about both, there it's just constantly "they're copying _______ from us!" and bucket loads of smugness.
    06-20-2016 01:03 AM
5,463 ... 108109110111112 ...