• 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 109110111112113 ...
tools
    Lumia 920 - Lumia 925 - Lumia 640 XL and now - s6 edge plus

I don't like camera, yandex and errors on 640 xl
    06-20-2016 02:31 AM
    Almost about to give up on my 950 as well.

Now Wifi isn't working, Cortana always tells me its not available when I'm searching for things on the road, and Edge doesn't load a lot of basic mobile pages. What a mess, I really do think no one tests these devices in the real world at Microsoft. Even very basic smartphone functionality is either buggy or intermittent on this device. Really frustrating!

I really love the integration and concept of this phone and Windows 10 - but I also don't want to get frustrated doing simple things that someone with a $10 Android device can do with ease.

So what are used 950s in great shape selling for these days?
    06-20-2016 08:58 AM
    UPDATE:

So the iPhone is extremely impressive. It simply blows away the Lumia in the above areas.

The Camera:
    All I can say is Wow! First, it loads instantly and takes photos in a millisecond. Rapid fire, no problem. No crashes or stutters or delays or "Saving Photo". Man, I missed so many photos with Lumia, it's disconcerting. The quality from the naked eye seems as good in daylight and better in low light. I have yet to print side by side but will check that out too. Regardless I won't be missing any shots. The dedicated Lumia camera button is nice, but the Camera functionality is leagues better in the iPhone.

Btw, after day of heavy use battery still at 38%. My 950XL would've been on the charger twice in that same period.

Extremely impressive device (and it's a 6 vs 950XL, so the 6S is likely even better).
    Another UPDATE:
    So the iPhone 6 Plus and iOS simply outperform w10m and 950xl on every front. I can't believe the years I have wasted with Lumia and predecessors. From battery usage, a smooth UI, easy to use and quality camera, and excellent apps including MS apps that are better in the iPhone than on the 950xl. I am even beginning to like Siri better than Cortana, because it actually works every time, not crashes and non-responses like Cortana.

I'm angry that I wasted money and time on MS devices, buyer beware
    libra89, mark233 and dellaster like this.
    06-20-2016 11:28 AM
    Another UPDATE:
    So the iPhone 6 Plus and iOS simply outperform w10m and 950xl on every front. I can't believe the years I have wasted with Lumia and predecessors. From battery usage, a smooth UI, easy to use and quality camera, and excellent apps including MS apps that are better in the iPhone than on the 950xl. I am even beginning to like Siri better than Cortana, because it actually works every time, not crashes and non-responses like Cortana.

Wow, it definitely sounds like iOS has been a nice change for you. That's awesome!
    You live and you learn, right?
    06-20-2016 11:55 AM
    I too am leaving Windows Mobile.

I had a 925, which I loved. I was eager to buy the 950XL and I did. But W10M has been a mess. Things don't work, or they would crash. Cortana for me is completely inoperable. Groove music doesn't play "albums" or in order of the songs on the album from local files. Most of the "live tiles" are not live, but seem to be asleep, and take awhile to load when the phone awakes, rendering the live tiles not so live.

I picked up a Nexus 6P unlocked, refurbished on ebay for a decent price. I wanted a phone that I knew as going to be updated and not quickly abandoned for a newer model, which I understand Android OEM's are notorious for doing (I had one before my 925 that was abandoned like a week after it's release) So far it's working great, but I've just got it. Getting used to the UI has taken some work, but for me scrolling sideways to get to apps, is no different then scrolling down to get to apps as I did on Windows. I have notifications for email with a bar on the screen (pre-unlocked screen, not sure what you call that) that works a lot like the old live tile for me when I need to see if an email is important or not.

The apps do make the phone and the UI. I'm really surprised at the difference in number and quality of shared apps on Android over Windows. The Outlook app on Android is SOOOO much better then it is on Windows....and that to me tells me all I need to know about the future of Windows Mobile. It's dead. Even Microsoft is mailing it in on W10M
    I thought I'd update as well.

I've had my Nexus 6P for 3 weeks now, and all I can say is that it blows W10 completely out of the water.
    1) APPS: First of all the apps DO matter. I have so many more to chose from, and they work! For instance one of my issues with W10 was "Groove". I have a lot of music already owned and downloaded on my 950xl if I wanted to play an album, Groove would shuffle the album out of order. If I wanted to play all the music of one artist, it would sometimes just stall and not play the next song. I have NOT had that issue at all on my Nexus 6P using an app called "Shuttle". Outlook works so much better on Andriod it's a shame. All the Microsoft apps besides Cortana, seem better on Android. Twitter is a complete different experience. The list goes on and on. My favorite to have back is a fully functional MLB at Bat.
    2) Google Now. Cortana for me on W10 on my 950xl crashed...every time I opened it. I rarely got a question out to her. When I did, it would say she was unavailable. On my Nexus, I've found that Google Now gives me very accurate answers to my questions, and many times it's audio. Cortana, on Andriod seems to just bing search bot, and it crashes on Andriod a lot (not as much as I had on W10, but still too frequently) , as well as hijacks the mic with the separate mic app button installed. I was disappointed in that.
    3) Calendar: This one wasn't too bad for me, but it's one area where it takes some work if you want to use both MS calendar and Google's default. I've gone to using just Google's default calendar exclusively with Outlook, which isn't the best set up.
    4A) Customization. There are a lot of options on how to set up your phone, with different launchers and different start screens, and layouts, etc. A bit overwhelming as I've wanted to try and tinker with many of them. I've found the basic Android M on the Nexus to be easy to learn
    4B) Choices and options: Take for example something as simple as a keyboard. I was disappointed in the accuracy of the suggestions of the Google Keyboard. But like so much of the Android experience if there is something you don't like, there are dozen's of alternatives to try. I'm currently using Swiftkey, and it seems to work much better with One Note (my most used app)

Negatives: The size of the Nexus 6P is exactly the same as the 950xl, but the metal while making it seem better built then the flimsy 950xl, also makes it slicker, and a little harder to handle.
    Battery: Ok, this is more of a neutral. It's fine when the location service is turned to normal, but the setting "high accuracy" sucks battery. I mean a matter of a few hours. It will ask you to turn on the high accuracy setting every time you use anything related to your location or a map. So to get a good battery life, you have have less accurate location and deal with pop up setting requests.

I'm having a better "Microsoft" experience on my Android then I ever did on my 950xl w/ W10M. The MS apps are shockingly better as a whole. Comparing them you can tell that even Microsoft has abandoned it's W10M platform. But now, I'm actually using more of the Google services (calendar, and Google Now) over the Microsoft services
    libra89, mark233 and Hoku001 like this.
    06-20-2016 12:48 PM
    Well guys, I got my HUAWEI P9 lite yesterday and it is bloody awesome!!!
    I love the design, EMUI is so fast and just beautiful... Battery life is insane (3000 mAh is showing what it is made of)...
    And yeah, if anyone tells me once again that there is no app gap between Android and Windows, I'm gonna invent the machine that will allow me to slap the hell out of them over the bloody internet!
    Yes, there are most of the apps available on Windows store that are present on Google play, but they are ages behind! I haven't touched an Android device for almost three years and I just wasn't aware how much its apps developed over the time.
    So yeah... I really like Windows, but dear Microsoft, get your $#!+ together and get the developers to work on those freaking apps!!! You're constantly throwing money down the drain, so why don't you just give that cash to developers to gain their attention?
    All apps on Windows are slower, lacking some or even most of the features and they are doing almost absolutely nothing to take care of that! Yeah, we got new Viber that only looks like good app, and Messenger beta that works once every fourth year, but if you think that's enough, then you can go F yourselves, Microsoft.

And just to clarify, I am actually pissed off because I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I was not aware what I was missing!
    06-20-2016 10:19 PM
    Another UPDATE:

Also it's interesting after getting an iPhone,I have so much time just using the phone itself,as opposed to constantly looking for fixes and workarounds and new builds, hoping for a feature that has been around for years on other OS. Damn MS and Lumia really are a joke when you have this perspective.
    06-21-2016 04:50 AM
    I have been a loyal fan and patient user of the WIndows Phone platform since I got my first smartphone in 2011. T-Mobile's HTC HD7 was one of my first adult purchases and I loved it. It did everything I wanted it to do including turning up the nose of every iPhone user. Next came the HTC 8X and the love affair was still going strong. The platform was solid. It did all I wanted. T-Mobile stopped showing us love and I went to Verizon where I got the best phone I ever owned - The Nokia Lumia Icon. This is where the trouble started. Windows 10 came out and I have never loved my OS more. There were things to get excited about. My computer was an actual joy to use. W10m previews started my doubtings. After my trying preview installations, my curiousity was satiated and I stuck to releases. "I'll take it when it is ready" is what I said.

I decided to give it one last shot. I switched carriers to AT&T and jumped on board with the Lumia 950. I wanted this to work. I still want this to work.

I'm tired of holding out. I am tired of making excuses. I am tired of the phone crashing when attaching a photo. I'm done with lagging text message. I miss the way Cortana used to work.

I would say that the current build of WP10 is a B effort and I can;t accept that anymore. After this Anniversary Update, if it is anything less than a A-Game, I am almost positive that I will leave the platform behind.

I'm worried that if I switch to an iPhone, the compatibility with my PC will be an issue. I know it has Groove and OneDrive, but are there any power-W10 / iPhone users out there? What're your experiences like?

Anyone care to comment on their feelings with the platform?
    Hoku001 likes this.
    06-21-2016 05:09 AM
    I too love the windows platform and have for along time. I mean my Lumia 950 is great and the bugs aren't all that bad anymore,but I feel like it's just lacking something right now. So Friday when I get my check I'm getting a nexus 6p and I've never had a Android before but my wife has the same phone. I'll be keeping my 950 close I take lots of pictures so I'll need the camera. I hope the platform can get back to the way 8.1 was
    06-21-2016 05:33 AM
    Have to ask, what build are you on?

I started on a HTC HD2 and have had several WP's under my charge (My family), ended up with a 1520, 930 and 830 in the house, I know my XL (Replaced my 1520) isn't a 950 but I have to say it's the best WP I have owned and having seen how good it is I am probably going to upgrade my wife's 830 to 950.

I wouldn't say I am a power user, but when set up properly and if you didn't get one of the early duff ones it seems the 950 and XL are very decent phones, and with Redstone due out in a month or so, it may well be worth considering doing a bit more work on your 950 and Windows 10 (I think it's great).

Just my own thoughts of course.
    06-21-2016 06:00 AM
    Also it's interesting after getting an iPhone,I have so much time just using the phone itself,as opposed to constantly looking for fixes and workarounds and new builds, hoping for a feature that has been around for years on other OS. Damn MS and Lumia really are a joke when you have this perspective.
    Seriously! Preach. Sometimes you get tired of workarounds and you just want something that would work. I do miss the Windows Central app but eh, I'm glad that the forums app is there.
    It's trippy.

I just got my 5x yesterday...and I now feel the need to amend some of my previous statements about Android. I found it annoying originally that you couldn't go into silent, it has to be vibrate. With round 2, I learned that this is device dependent for sure. Also figured out to stop the double email notifications, so that's out too. As for the battery life, I have tried some tweaks, and we'll see how this goes.
    broar94 and mark233 like this.
    06-21-2016 07:48 AM
    Seriously! Preach. Sometimes you get tired of workarounds and you just want something that would work. I do miss the Windows Central app but eh, I'm glad that the forums app is there.
    It's trippy.

I just got my 5x yesterday...and I now feel the need to amend some of my previous statements about Android. I found it annoying originally that you couldn't go into silent, it has to be vibrate. With round 2, I learned that this is device dependent for sure. Also figured out to stop the double email notifications, so that's out too. As for the battery life, I have tried some tweaks, and we'll see how this goes.
    Here's link for Windows Central app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wpcentral.app

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    libra89 likes this.
    06-21-2016 07:59 AM
    Here's link for Windows Central app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wpcentral.app

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Thank you!
    ramyZgHR likes this.
    06-21-2016 08:01 AM
    I am on 10.0.10586.420. Formatted after installation, too. Definitely waiting to see what happens after this new massive update, but, for the first time, I am STRONGLY considering putting it to bed.
    06-21-2016 09:27 AM
    Thank you!
    WC app ironically works so much better on iOS
    06-21-2016 12:30 PM
    WC app ironically works so much better on iOS
    It really does, never have any issues, even though it hasn't been updated in a while.
    Guytronic and mikepalma like this.
    06-21-2016 11:11 PM
    I would say that the current build of WP10 is a B effort and I can;t accept that anymore. After this Anniversary Update, if it is anything less than a A-Game, I am almost positive that I will leave the platform behind.
    It's unfortunate that it has taken MS this long to bring WP10 to the same level of polish as WP8, but I have to say that recent Redstone builds have been surprisingly good (considering that 14295 was a disaster just a couple of months ago). I'm getting better battery life than 10586, seeing fewer loading/resuming screens, and Windows Hello is finally quick enough for daily use.

However all of this does not fix the app gap, which is what keeps most potential customers away from the platform.

I'm worried that if I switch to an iPhone, the compatibility with my PC will be an issue. I know it has Groove and OneDrive, but are there any power-W10 / iPhone users out there? What're your experiences like?
    What kind of compatibility are you looking for? Basic file transfer works out-of-the-box with Windows 10 and a ton of MS apps are available on iOS but some things such as Cortana integration are crippled due to iOS limitations.
    Guytronic likes this.
    06-22-2016 03:02 AM
    My 2 cents: planned to get 950XL but just bought Note 4 to wait and see where MS is going with W10M.

As far I feel great relief getting rid of this "Resuming..." feature in W10M/WP81. Hope this will get significantly fixed with latest statements saying that UWP apps can run in background with less limitations.

I like the stylus in my Note 4. Hope to see it in Surface Phone ;-). Of course you can live without it, but it's very handy toy, really useful for some tasks like editing photos etc.
    libra89, mikepalma and mark233 like this.
    06-22-2016 09:27 AM
    There is one particular app (for me) that keeps me going back and forth between iOS and Android. The app Slacker Radio. I'm a premium subscriber. Yes it's available for Windows Mobile. However, on Windows Mobile it does not give me the option for audio streaming quality. On both iOS and Android there is the option to stream at 64 KBPS, 128 KBPS, and 320 KBPS. I choose 320 KBPS. Audio quality is outstanding streaming via Bluetooth in my car. I'm in my car a lot and I use this app. When I use my Windows phone(s) there is a profound difference in audio quality and this bugs me now lol.

I'm guessing the default in the Windows Mobile app is 64 KBPS.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    06-22-2016 03:36 PM
    There is one particular app (for me) that keeps me going back and forth between iOS and Android. The app Slacker Radio. I'm a premium subscriber. Yes it's available for Windows Mobile. However, on Windows Mobile it does not give me the option for audio streaming quality. On both iOS and Android there is the option to stream at 64 KBPS, 128 KBPS, and 320 KBPS. I choose 320 KBPS. Audio quality is outstanding streaming via Bluetooth in my car. I'm in my car a lot and I use this app. When I use my Windows phone(s) there is a profound difference in audio quality and this bugs me now lol.

I'm guessing the default in the Windows Mobile app is 64 KBPS.
    That sounds like it's enough for a reason to move around, especially since you are paying and you found what else is possible with this app. That's a serious bummer though. I kind of feel similarly about the MLB At Bat app. Even though it works on Windows Mobile, not being able to see the whole notification during a baseball game, bugs me.

Like you, I'm also going back and forth between iOS and Android. I had one guess why (aside from finding tech to be interesting) but I think it goes deeper. I didn't realize how much I care about simplicity and customization until I stopped using a Windows phone as my daily driver. Windows Mobile has/had a way of satisfying both at once. You have the option to use a full screen background and tiles or you can use tiles with accent color, or tiles with an image in them. 3 choices is great. I just thought that is the way it is until I branched out.

iOS offers simplicity, which is great. I do like that, but it comes at the cost of customization aside from a case. Without a case, my SE looks like everyone else who has a SE, just change the color 3 times. Welp.

Android on the other hand, offers customization, which can be overwhelming at times. The other day, I spent 6 hours (broken up into 2 days) customizing my 5x, which I may or may not keep. However, it feels hard to find a way to have it offer simplicity but I still try.

I never thought that it could be so hard to find a balance outside of Windows Mobile. I'm hoping that the Robin will do it for me.
    06-23-2016 07:01 PM
    How are Lumias or WP's marketed and advertised where YOU live? Very curious....
    What? Windows phone? (at this point the salesman could not choke his smile, ironic one.) Well, let me show you all the new Androids and the iPhone.
    WP is difficult to use. No apps.We have them showcased but am not sure why. Nobody buys thrm...
    And when I talk about live tiles, integration , lagless use, etc. they say Android is too!!! Location, Greece!
    06-24-2016 10:23 AM
    Well, I finally left. I flirted with it with a K7 a few months ago but last night I took the plunge on the HTC 10. Why I chose the HTC 10:

• Phone had to be "flagship" level
    • Size. I originally wanted to go with the Nexus 6P, but after having used the Lumia 640 for the past week (instead of my 950XL) I realized I like the smaller form factor better. The 950XL was just too big, and the 6P was even taller (although a little less wide).
    • Android: I wanted as close to stock Android as I could get. I considered the Galaxy S7, I watched my wife use the Samsung UI (TouchWiz, I think?) and I didn't like it at all.
    • A pretty good (doesn't have to be amazing) camera. The reviews of the camera on the HTC 10 are that it's good, not great. I would have preferred it to be a little better, but I think it'll be good enough. The HTC One M8 (had the Windows version) camera scared me a little bit (even with the "ultrapixel" that 4MB camera was awful), but HTC has improved the camera since then. Supposedly the latest firmware update helped a bit, too.
    • I wanted to split the payments on T-Mobile. Since I couldn't sell my 950XL (see the marketplace! ) for as much as I wanted, that became the best way for me to go.

I wish the battery life on the HTC 10 was as good as the battery life is supposed to be on the 6P, but having used a 950XL, battery life obviously isn't a huge concern.

I still think that Windows mobile has the best UI, but I just got tired of not having the apps. Maybe, someday, if the UWP strategy works and apps come to the MS mobile platform I'll jump back. That said, in my limited, recent experience with Android on the K7 and setting up the HTC 10 last night, Android has improved. I wish I could kill the stupid "Lookout" app that T-Mobile has preinstalled, but I've minimized it's presence on the phone.

Things I like about Android already:
    • The fingerprint reader. Windows Hello worked great for me, even with my glasses on, but the fingerprint reader is still more natural. Plus, I can set up to four fingerprints to use to unlock it. Left thumb, right thumb are set up. I can add my index fingers, too.
    • The ability to set a bluetooth device as a trusted device and not require unlocking when my phone is paired to that device. I noticed you can do that with locations as well, which will be great when I'm at home. Haven't decided if I'll set the office up as a trusted location.
    • The ability to make an SD card a part of the phone internal storage so it sees everything as one big drive. I haven't done this, but I may. Still trying to figure out the pros and cons.
    • Of course, have to say the apps. Specifically:
      • Beyond the Whiteboard for recording my CrossFit workouts.
      • The YouVersion bible app is more full featured in that you can download different versions for offline reading and it includes red letter text.
      • Pocket Casts seems a little more full featured.
      • Waze which actually gets updated.
      • I'm sure there are other apps that I can't think of right now, or that I'll discover that I couldn't get on Windows or are more full featured on Android.
      • On the plus side for Windows mobile:
        • A week ago I would have said Facebook, but the new FB beta app seems pretty good on Windows.
        • I will miss the recent updates to Groove music (the insider version) on Windows mobile. The UI in Android needs work although I thought I remembered reading something that it will be getting updated soon.

I've still got my 640 and I may jump back to it every now and then just to see what's up!

If you read this far, thanks for reading!
    Last edited by jdballard; 06-24-2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Add point about SD card storage.
    06-24-2016 11:52 AM
    The longer I use Android the more I prefer it over iOS.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    06-24-2016 02:07 PM
    I never thought that it could be so hard to find a balance outside of Windows Mobile. I'm hoping that the Robin will do it for me.
    Have you checked out the OnePlus 3? It's kind of tempting for me. Undecided.
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    06-24-2016 06:41 PM
    Have you checked out the OnePlus 3? It's kind of tempting for me. Undecided.
    I have heard a lot about it and it sounds really nice. It would also be my ideal device, I'm just one of the oddballs that stop at 5.2" for screen sizes. I wish it was smaller. (I know this is amusing because the Robin is 5.2" but that's my limit)
    Last edited by libra89; 06-24-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    mark233 likes this.
    06-24-2016 07:50 PM
5,481 ... 109110111112113 ...