Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Funny thing is how people rip on the way the 950XL looks, but to me it is miles nicer looking than that freakish 'visor' thing on the 6P. Maybe I'll work on my case-a-phobia.

The 6P has that freakish visor and the 5X looks like a Lumia haha.

I'd have to say 6P. Best all rounder, closest performer to 950 XL, no horrible skin, and updates are actually received.

I would avoid getting an HTC just because they seem to always be playing catch up and they can bang on about nice design but if you actually see the inside of one you see how much of a mess is inside and how poor the build quality is.

MohitKJain

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Made the jump to android

So, after being a long time exclusively windows phone user (since 2012), I have made the jump to android. Reason? lack of new devices in my price range and the available flagship not feeling worth the price. I can say one thing, I feel angry at Microsoft, they didn't pour in the attention and effort into this OS early in the cycle. I don't like android, I really don't, It is complex and convoluted, feels like an exam, with pages upon pages of options and "features". Most of all, it lacks the elegance and fluidity of my Lumia 1520. Yes, the apps are better, but the OS is okay-ish. I really hope Microsoft does something about the device drought and also polishes the OS. It's a fantastic OS and it deserves attention and effort.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Made the jump to android

I don't like android, I really don't, It is complex and convoluted, feels like an exam, with pages upon pages of options and "features".
Exactly my thoughts about Android. I tried the Xperia Z5 Compact -- size and build quality were perfect -- but returned it because I found the Android UI too cluttered. iOS on the other hand is elegant but too restricted. And that's why I keep coming back to WP, despite all its flaws.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Exactly my thoughts about Android. I tried the Xperia Z5 Compact -- size and build quality were perfect -- but returned it because I found the Android UI too cluttered. iOS on the other hand is elegant but too restricted. And that's why I keep coming back to WP, despite all its flaws.
People who say the Android UI is too cluttered, cumbersome, etc. obviously didn't realize you can have just about any UI you want by changing the launcher. Arrow launcher and Z launcher, for example, really change things up. There are even launchers that approximate the Metro look and feel of Windows mobile.

azteca911

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, that was a short trip. I bought a Nexus 6p last weekend. Got it connected to my emails, browser favorites, started downloading the apps I use every day. I started using the phone and found the OS to be a bit frustrating. For so many things you had to go 3-4 levels deep in the settings to change things. The camera app seemed pretty sparse. My first day at work I picked up my phone at 10am and the battery was down to 42% (took it off the charger at 6am). Searched online for possible problems and came across Cell Standby was the big drain on the battery. Didn't find a real answer on how to solve this problem (seems to be a problem with the current Marshmallow release). I was missing my live tiles. Got home, pulled the sim card and put it back in my 1520. Ahhhh... Reset the 6p to factory and put it back in the box. Will return it to Best Buy this weekend and wait for the Surface phone next April.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

People who say the Android UI is too cluttered, cumbersome, etc. obviously didn't realize you can have just about any UI you want by changing the launcher. Arrow launcher and Z launcher, for example, really change things up. There are even launchers that approximate the Metro look and feel of Windows mobile.

And that's exactly why Android is so clustered and clunky.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, that was a short trip. I bought a Nexus 6p last weekend. Got it connected to my emails, browser favorites, started downloading the apps I use every day. I started using the phone and found the OS to be a bit frustrating. For so many things you had to go 3-4 levels deep in the settings to change things. The camera app seemed pretty sparse. My first day at work I picked up my phone at 10am and the battery was down to 42% (took it off the charger at 6am). Searched online for possible problems and came across Cell Standby was the big drain on the battery. Didn't find a real answer on how to solve this problem (seems to be a problem with the current Marshmallow release). I was missing my live tiles. Got home, pulled the sim card and put it back in my 1520. Ahhhh... Reset the 6p to factory and put it back in the box. Will return it to Best Buy this weekend and wait for the Surface phone next April.

Same experience with the S7 edge.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

The ability to customize the UI to your liking makes it "clustered and clunky"? Really?

For those of us that feel that way, yeah actually. The fact that you have to configure a device out of the box, and to delve thru pages of settings Is annoying. Its like they are throwing things at the OS and hoping something sticks. I guess it something someone who actually likes Android just wouldn't understand.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

People obviously have their own preferences and some people might be happy with stock Android or a custom launcher. But if I'm going to spend my time changing the launcher, keyboard and a dozen other things to make Android look like WP, why wouldn't I just get a WP in the first place?

I don't really care about apps so there's nothing Android gives me over WP. On the other hand, as I've posted before, WP gives me a much better out-of-the-box experience for basic stuff like mail, calendar and contacts.

User_name_who

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Having used cellphones with Windows OS for the last three years....next cellphone will not be a WP. Whatever update they will bring and no matter what hardware they will release. First cellphone was a Nokia and have used a lot of Nokia models since. Then Android OS via some HTC models. From Symbian -> Android -> Windows Phone. Still not used or owned an Iphone. But I've decided that next phone will be an Iphone. Why? I'm tired of the slow growing in quality apps. Yes, there's outstanding photo apps and a tiny bit more. But it seems like the major releases/updates comes in Android/IOS. I do miss some specific apps thats been on IOS/Android for long time.....sent the developers email about release on WP......no reply, nada. I have no hope that developers in common will release apps for WP as they are for other OS's. And by that I mean all kind of developers; from the "little guy" sitting at home and develop apps to big enterprises releasing apps that for example supports/control other hardware. MS has failed to deliver trust in app development and content in appstore nowadays looks like what Symbian had to offer at its best. I would not believe it will be an improvement for long time. I haven't seen anyone using a WP among friends, colleagues or in public for some years now and no matter how nice and fluid the experience is with a Windows phone.....no one buying or using it = dying platform. Just my two cents.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

For those of us that feel that way, yeah actually. The fact that you have to configure a device out of the box, and to delve thru pages of settings Is annoying. Its like they are throwing things at the OS and hoping something sticks. I guess it something someone who actually likes Android just wouldn't understand.

I agree, well said, in a general sense.

How I see this is that basically with iOS, it's basically set. With WP, you have the choice to set up more or just do the bare minimum and it would be fine. With Android, doing the bare minimum, can result in annoyances, depending on the phone.

An example is my dad. He has had his Windows Phone since last July. He has never changed the background color even though I told him that he can. He has colorful tiles and hasn't really changed much of anything. It just works and he has a long screen of tiles but he's fine with that.

My mom on the other hand, has a low end Android, and it beeps when it detects WiFi, Lookout is suggested to run, etc. I had to find how to disable all of these things.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Of course, it all comes down to personal preference. Some people do enjoy having the ability to customize the UI according to their needs and tastes. Depending on the user, it can potentially make the UI less clunky than a bunch of tiles with which all you can really do is change the size or position.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

People obviously have their own preferences and some people might be happy with stock Android or a custom launcher. But if I'm going to spend my time changing the launcher, keyboard and a dozen other things to make Android look like WP, why wouldn't I just get a WP in the first place?

I don't really care about apps so there's nothing Android gives me over WP. On the other hand, as I've posted before, WP gives me a much better out-of-the-box experience for basic stuff like mail, calendar and contacts.

"why wouldn't I just get a WP in the first place?" - because there are people who care about missing apps on windows phones hence getting an Android instead. And since they have the apps they need, they will also spend some time on trying out other launchers which can offer similar home screen experiences like on windows phone. Or perhaps, since they have what they need from the apps, seeing static iconic UI is not even an issue to them at all. The point is, Android allows really good customization - regardless the user wants it or not, and no app gaps. These two points alone win over windows phone by miles.

The discussion is moot when you put your own individual feelings in it - like "WP gives me a much better out-of-the-box experience for basic stuff like mail, calendar and contacts.". Let's compare platform to platform without any personal preferences included.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't know. I bought a moto g 3rd generation phone several weeks ago and only kept it for about a week and a half.
The best things on Android for me were google maps and my banking app was there.

Other than those things I still find windows to be a better overall experience for me personally and I switched back to windows again. LOL.
Though I must say that compass apps on android and ios are superior to windows.

Why cant we have decent compass apps with buttery smooth fluidity like the other 2 platforms ? Some things are definitely better on android, but windows as a whole beats it out for me every time .

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

The point is, Android allows really good customization - regardless the user wants it or not, and no app gaps. These two points alone win over windows phone by miles.

The majority of smartphone users aren't geeks, they're likely to use their phone as it is with maybe a few minor tweaks. The presence or absence of "really good customization" makes no difference to these users. Many of my friends with iPhones don't even know that iOS supports third-party keyboards, they just live with the stock keyboard even though there are much better alternatives.

The WP app gap is certainly a problem for many people, but a lot of it also comes down to brand image. I know several people who hardly use any apps yet would never try WP because of its poor reputation.

The discussion is moot when you put your own individual feelings in it - like "WP gives me a much better out-of-the-box experience for basic stuff like mail, calendar and contacts.". Let's compare platform to platform without any personal preferences included.

These aren't "feelings", they're objective statements based on my daily usage patterns. A quick glance (pun intended) tells me when my next meeting is, how many calls, emails and IMs I have received -- all without even pressing a button. Neither iOS nor Android comes close.

I understand this may not represent the general consumer, but there's certainly a market for users focused on productivity, and I'm happy that Microsoft is focusing their efforts on that segment.

jamshal kp

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Goodbye

Very disappointed with Microsoft , Lumia 925 is not eligible for windows 10 update??? Can't believe that, it's time to bye bye Microsoft, planing to buy android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Goodbye

Very disappointed with Microsoft , Lumia 925 is not eligible for windows 10 update??? Can't believe that, it's time to bye bye Microsoft, planing to buy android

(fellow mods, I can't move this or anything because mobile but I still wanted to touch on it.)

Sorry to hear that, I was pretty ticked too.

But i need to warn you. Pick your android carefully. It would be best to get a Nexus device. Because depending on the phone you get, you may be saddled with less support than the 925 got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99