Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
-Why are pinned sites so ugly? On iPhone, at least the pinned site makes it like an icon.

It's even worse on the Windows 10 Start menu. I really hope Microsoft either makes the tile transparent or show a preview of the website because the blue tiles are just nasty-looking.

Capture.JPG

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
That would be great. I had to "hide" my pins with transparent tiles because they are eyesores.

I shoved all my pinned bookmarks into a folder marked "Internet", but doing that sometimes just creates its own eyesores and graphical issues. For example, putting a large rectangular Dropbox tile into a medium square folder tile sometimes shows the Dropbox icon cut off. Also, putting a medium or large People tile into a folder results in a blank square on the folder's live tile. But I think these are more app-dependent.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Update:

So after my previous rants I decided to test out Windows 10 Mobile preview on my Lumia 630 (8.1). This phone is not getting the official update due to 512mb RAM but I'm done ranting about that. Anyway my impressions so far have been actually really positive. I think almost everything about Windows 10 mobile is better than Windows Phone 8.1. Notifications smarter, Office Apps more comprehensive, Edge browser faster, Tiles/Wallpaper smarter (yes I do like them better) and even the ability to save images as file names and create albums is all brilliant. Other subtle updates include upgraded keyboard with thumbstick and better emoji's (color skin options). Settings menus and tray fonts all look sleeker too.

The Apps situation also feels improved. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (including new icon & ui) all feel almost as good as the Android versions. I know some have complained that the Facebook App for example is just a iOS port, but I'd rather have that then an outdated featured Microsoft built version.

The only negative I've found with Windows 10 mobile is the lack of Lumia Camera app. I used to be able to take surprisingly impressive photos with my budget 630, but the new Camera app is now producing poor results. It is definitely a downgrade as far as my Camera is concerned so much that I've switched to a 3rd party one and require to do lots more post editing especially in low light conditions. I feel like the Lumia team tweaked the camera software perfectly for the 630 and that is all lost but hey ho.

So with all this in mind I am now taking a little more time to consider my next new phone. I do believe Windows 10 Mobile has potential and there is no risk of it dieing due to the popularity of the desktop version. It costs very little to keep the mobile team plugging along. I now have my eyes fixed on HP of all companies! Their new Elite X3 with Laptop extender could be the perfect solution for me (along with say a cheaper new iPod Touch for those few missing apps).

So yes, despite my previous rants Windows 10 Mobile has been a pleasant surprise. I'm not completely ruling out leaving but HP may just convince me to stay!

Rasool Shaik

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
SAD: Considering to leave windows 10 mobile

My journey started with Nokia 1100 and now i am using Lumia 950 XL. I am facing a lot of issues and lag at most places like connecting to 3G, sending sms, viewing photos etc.. Windows phone 8.1 was much better in terms of stability and reliability. but it lacked lot of features. People were complaining about apps and they told always that windows phone 8.1 runs better even on low spec devices which is not true for windows 10 mobile devices. I feel people not facing problems on their devices might be due to single or dual sim variants. Nokia did a splendid job in releasing the apt firmware necessary to run the OS smoothly on a specific device. Microsoft is mostly concentrating on OS updates than firmware. I don't say that this might be the exact issue why we are having so many problems with windows 10 mobile but its true that none of the devices released by Microsoft are reliable as Nokia devices. They brought Nokia but they were unable to maintain such standards Nokia setup in the Industry. Nokia was sinking but it was rising very slowly with windows phone but they lacked funds that could have helped them rise faster. Microsoft made a great decision in buying Nokia but they have not utilized its full potential. It might be due to the merger of two branches or lay offs etc but Damage is done.
I am afraid i cant recommend it to anyone now. WINDOWS 10 MOBILE IS STILL BETA SOFTWARE. No one can deny it with any excuse. I am true fan but it hurts to pay for the device and know that the platform is sinking. Whatever might be the reason but after all these years i spent with my Nokia devices i fear the end has come.
I used Nokia 1100, 3110c, 6085, N73, C7, Lumia 800, 525, 920, 925,1520,950 XL.
Its really paining at heart but i am considering to leave windows. I do love the camera on my lumia a lot, thats holding me but now the competitors like samsung s7 has done good job. I am waiting for anniversary update to see and make my mind. Lets hope for best. :(

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: SAD: Considering to leave windows 10 mobile

I had the same thoughts with my 830. 8.1 was good, but W10 just had too many little things that annoyed me. I've had my S7 Edge for about a month now and it's been flawless.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So the weekend has come to a close for me.

To recap what that means for me, basically I had the idea of trying out my 640 on Insider for the weekend, and then I decided to do it after thinking about it.

I ended up doing it on my 435 and my 640 with the official production release for the latter, I messed up on the former first but eh, it is what it is. I thought that after this weekend, I would know for sure and have answers to if I can rock it with W10M or go back to the boring iPhone for the interim. Since I'm not sure, I will give this until Friday.

My general thoughts:
-Much better than the first time I tried Insider last year
-I like the aesthetics
-Why are pinned sites so ugly? On iPhone, at least the pinned site makes it like an icon.
-I keep forgetting that I have a phone with Glance so I keep waking up the screen to see if I have notifications. Old habits die hard?
-Having a phone that isn't as boring is pleasing me so far (green back power!)
-Outlook, and GroupMe look so good!
-We finally have a timer built in the system
-Battery life isn't as bad as I have read for some people. I charged yesterday evening (early) and I still haven't had to charge yet but will bring cable just in case to work tomorrow
-Fortunately, my book app works awesome in Edge, and there's some kind of thing that allowed me to install MLB At Bat app on my phone since I had it before so this is pleasing to me too
-I miss my social app, that is probably the one app that is bothering me the most
-The official Twitter app looks good, but trying Fenice right now
-For some reason, my 640 refused to connect to WiFi at church today, but it connected just fine on Friday so idk?
-The new Windows Central app is really nice but it's annoying when it comes to long threads, like this one, so I only use it for news. On that note, finally discovered the awesome of mTalk, I see why everyone talks about it all the time!
-Customization, omg I can customize all the way again!
My 640 is currently languishing at the moment although I do keep it charged. Without the SIM in and the Wifi/Bluetooth off, the battery seems to last forever :grin: I have been waiting for T-Mobile to release the OS officially but like you were I am starting to get restless and may end up just going insider as well. The trouble is I have gotten used to my LG K7 as a daily driver. It's also a hassle to crack open the cases and shells of these phones to swap the SIM but if I put insider on, even if I don't use the 640 as a phone, I need to make sure it still actually can function as one!

How is the camera app? I take it there are still manual controls and do the images come out the same as with the Lumia app?

Funny enough the reason I now have an interest in possibly going insider is the fact that Misfit finally updated their app for Windows 10 Mobile. The sad thing is the reviews seem to suggest it's not much better than their old one, which I couldn't even get to work at all on my Lumia 640 :unhappy: It does make me wonder if they even test their Windows Mobile apps!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My 640 is currently languishing at the moment although I do keep it charged. Without the SIM in and the Wifi/Bluetooth off, the battery seems to last forever :grin: I have been waiting for T-Mobile to release the OS officially but like you were I am starting to get restless and may end up just going insider as well. The trouble is I have gotten used to my LG K7 as a daily driver. It's also a hassle to crack open the cases and shells of these phones to swap the SIM but if I put insider on, even if I don't use the 640 as a phone, I need to make sure it still actually can function as one!

How is the camera app? I take it there are still manual controls and do the images come out the same as with the Lumia app?

Funny enough the reason I now have an interest in possibly going insider is the fact that Misfit finally updated their app for Windows 10 Mobile. The sad thing is the reviews seem to suggest it's not much better than their old one, which I couldn't even get to work at all on my Lumia 640 :unhappy: It does make me wonder if they even test their Windows Mobile apps!

Haha. Very true point about it working as a phone. The struggle is real when it comes to patience. I haven't tried WiFi calling at all. The release preview build is nice.

As for the camera, can't use Lumia camera sadly. The pictures are decent, but I haven't had anything nice to take a picture of. The manual controls are there too. I'm going to have to try some more before I decide if it is better or worse.

I totally understand wanting to try because of an app. I am guilty of that too. I think if you are up to it, you should try it. I literally took the sim from my SE at work and put it in the 640. Lol

(Not having that one social app is bugging me though, ugh. I have pinned the site, but I feel like it requires additional work to use it.)

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
So... back on OT (I thought this was meant to be a thread about leaving WP/W10M and the like as opposed to playing with your new L640 i.e. the posts above) - according to The Verge, Microsoft's mobile marketshare has now dipped to under 1%. That's REALLY really bad.

Apologists will make their comebacks with "oh but they're just chilling until next year". Yeah sorry, imagine if Apple or Google said that?

So at what point do you say "It's DEAD"? Seems like it's pretty clear it's dead to me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So... back on OT (I thought this was meant to be a thread about leaving WP/W10M and the like as opposed to playing with your new L640 i.e. the posts above) - according to The Verge, Microsoft's mobile marketshare has now dipped to under 1%. That's REALLY really bad.

Apologists will make their comebacks with "oh but they're just chilling until next year". Yeah sorry, imagine if Apple or Google said that?

So at what point do you say "It's DEAD"? Seems like it's pretty clear it's dead to me.
I don't see how it is off topic. I have "switched" platforms but I'm wrestling with the fact that the iPhone is so boring. Because of that, I'm dabbling with the 640 on Insider. I'm not sure if I would stay on it, or switch back, and as the pages before this one show, I'm not the only one struggling.

So far, the excitement is cool, but lacking the one app is annoying me.

Last edited:

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
iOS is definitely boring - but the ecosystem is far from that. It's a joy to have practically anything I'm looking for available. That's what keeps me on iOS, as well as the excellent customer support.

If WPs ecosystem existed, I would never have left.

So, according to The Verge, Microsoft's mobile marketshare has now dipped to under 1%. That's REALLY really bad.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The difference being Apple and Google are not in the position where they HAVE to re-strategize their approach.

BlackBerry tried to re-strategize by letting in Android Apps and it didn't save them.

I'm still waiting to see how the retrench goes. I like where the rumors say this is going with UWP and more flexible definitions of form factor.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
iOS is definitely boring - but the ecosystem is far from that. It's a joy to have practically anything I'm looking for available. That's what keeps me on iOS, as well as the excellent customer support.

If WPs ecosystem existed, I would never have left.

So, according to The Verge, Microsoft's mobile marketshare has now dipped to under 1%. That's REALLY really bad.

The Verge is biased and I blocked them long ago. That said, yes, no one can argue that the numbers are down, even in the countries where Windows phone had good respectable numbers. I prefer to do my own research to understand the real facts.

The word "dead" is an exaggeration for the "click bate" media, haters, and of course trolls. I looked up the definition of the word. For example, no one who had a car, or say, a friend, that was having troubles, would ever use that word unless they had an agenda. Certainly no friend, especially if they were working on improving.

Best Wishes for the future.

Last edited:

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Am I finally giving up on Windows Phone?

I ordered a (yet another) iPhone this week, because I just can't take the frustration of using my Lumia 925 anymore. I have come back time and time again to WP, hoping "this time they get it right".
I tried hard to stay, but Microsoft is not trying hard on their part. It's a total struggle just to download a podcast reliably. The number one use for my smartphone. They just go on "pause"... who the heck "pauses" a download and for what purpose? Android never does that, even if its running on 2g. iOS never does that. What kind of programming is Seattle doing there? Microsoft is literally fighting for its life here, and they seem to close their eyes to the fact that smartphones are the lion's share of tech.
Try to download an app and it goes on "pause", be it on Wifi or LTE, it doesn't matter. The OS just decides to go to sleep. And I've had various models, and they all do that.
Apps constantly crash. The OS is a disaster.
Torrenting is also a big disappointment. The apps just stand still, waiting for something, even with a 60mbps connection.
I don't care for the fact that there's less apps than for iOS or Android. I could care less. But Microsoft is lacking something more than apps. Next time I come back (if I ever come back), I hope Microsoft gets its act together.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Am I finally giving up on Windows Phone?

So long. And next time buy a 650. Nice value for money. Flawlessy and fast. And got a real 2nd gen OLED screen

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You just have to do what works for you, even if that means watching from afar, or just really hating the platform.

I did notice that about the pause for downloads, it is kind of annoying.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Microsoft is literally fighting for its life here, and they seem to close their eyes to the fact that smartphones are the lion's share of tech.

Uh wrong. Admittedly this is a lull in MS Smart Phones but I believe that will change with more OEM's coming on-board during the next few months.

Enjoy your iPhone and you are welcome back anytime.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I might be going back to my iPhone. Windows 10 Mobile has improved so much, but not having that one social app is making this hard for me. I hate that I feel like I have to sacrifice something to be pleased.

If I go back to the iPhone, I miss customization and being different but I gain reliability, slightly boring (sorry, iOS just is) and that one app.
If I stay on the 640, I miss that one social app, but I gain by having a phone that looks different (green back) and something interesting.

For the interim, I have pinned the site to start, but it just doesn't work as well. It's not Snapchat, I doubt anyone would be able to guess it.

Or I could try that other Android phone (it's old but it's a Sony phone, which apparently have great battery life) that I was considering, even though it only comes in black. Maybe it will meet me in the middle, or maybe I am just idealistically hoping?

hatie123

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I have a Lumia 640XL with the latest WP10 fast build update & I don't have any problems downloading podcasts. I use the app Podcast Lounge & set the app to work in the background so it can download my favorite podcasts as new ones come out. With the app tile pinned, I even get notifications when new podcasts are there. I have been a loyal fan of WP for years & will keep being one till Microsoft kills it. There might be less apps in the store but I've found every one that I want easily. I don't play games on my phone 24/7 like many of my iPhone using friends.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
My smartphone journey started with Windows Mobile 5 & 6.1 Samsung Blackjack & HTC Touch Pro 2, then went Android for several years on Nexus devices nexus One and Nexus 4. Came back to Windows phone 8.1 last year with a Lumia 640 LTE due to all the fragmentation in Android (Devices don't get the necessary security updates, look at the mess that stagefright has become no devices seem to be receiving the updates that fix it not even nexus devices), I'm not saying Windows Phone is better just that with 1% of the market you have a certain security through obscurity. I keep seeing full blown ransomeware on iOS (even devices fully up to date) and Android devices that cannot be update to whatever is deemed safe. The only Android vendor who supports their hardware for more than 1.5 years is Sony (Samsung supports flagship devices only for 2 years all other devices you are lucky to get 6 months). The other thing is the cost of a decent phone, the cheaper Android ones (under $200) generally have no support and don't get any OS updates. And Apple's thing seems to be not supporting iOS hardware more than 2 years old with new software. once again Microsoft isn't any better there but there are many under $100 devices, and if a $100 phone can last you over a year what is not to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs