04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 136137138139140 ...
tools
    I'm not exactly a good writer, but I'm glad you liked it! Still getting around Android (First time owning one since 2013).
    Btw I'm eyeing a Z5 Compact too. The fingerprint scanner should be nice to have and the phone overall seems to be very good, but then again the Z3C looks sooo sexy. Not sure what to do lol
    The Z5C is better because it doesn't have the fiddly flaps. It's got a far superior camera as well. It's a better phone overall.

I finally saw the XZ in person. I was hoping to see the Pixel as well but unfortunately the shop didn't have any... :/

The XZ is nice but still not sure.
    11-07-2016 04:05 AM
    The Z5C is better because it doesn't have the fiddly flaps. It's got a far superior camera as well. It's a better phone overall.

I finally saw the XZ in person. I was hoping to see the Pixel as well but unfortunately the shop didn't have any... :/

The XZ is nice but still not sure.
    Yeah looks like the waterproof USB port is also worth it. There's also the fact that Sony (hopefully) will update it, unlike the Z3C.

About the Pixel, I've been reading wonders about it...
    N_LaRUE and libra89 like this.
    11-07-2016 07:22 AM
    What I really want now is for Microsoft to make an Android Launcher that gives us full a Windows Phone feel.
    11-07-2016 08:55 AM
    What I really want now is for Microsoft to make an Android Launcher that gives us full a Windows Phone feel.
    SquareHome2 (with key) gives you Windows 10 and waaayyyyyy more already. see it at the Play Store. YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!!

Peace. Alan
    Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver, Luxury Sedan Class
    Lumia ICON [Win10M 14959.1000] Toy, GT4 Sport Class
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    11-07-2016 10:17 AM
    I haven't turned on my Lumia 640 in a week since buying a OnePlus 2...

WP things I miss:
    - Contact blocking: I'm running Android 6.0.1 and from what I've read it seems like I need to add bogus callers as contacts before I can have the option to automagically block or send their calls to voicemail.
    - Quiet Hours: I used it all the time. My phone has a slider on the side to silence the phone, but now I have to remember to do that.
    - Exchange Global Address List: All my company contacts were available in the phone dialer and "People" sections with WP, they aren't with Android. Luckily I can go through the Outlook app to retrieve numbers and make calls, but it's an extra step.
    - Live Tiles: Widgets just aren't the same. The Outlook app provides a meetings widget, but it's not as good as Cal or the built in WP Calendar tile. I haven't found a great weather widget either.
    - Notification Rules: It felt like I was able to completely shut off vibration system wide on WP10, but I can't do that with Android. Some apps still vibe, which I feel like is a battery drain.
    - Tiles: I liked arranging and changing their sizes to fit my needs. The Android layout seems archaic and rigid. I'm even running the MS Arrow launcher.

Android things I like:
    - Apps: There are so many... it's beautiful. Mint, Chase, Vanguard, Bank of the West, Pokmon Go, Feedly, Reddit, Tapatalk, Marvel Contest of Champions, OneDrive, Excel, Word, Pandora, Madden Mobile, Dell KACE, PlayStation, Cisco Jabber, Amazon, eBay... so many.
    - Integration with other devices: My Kenwood car stereo picks up the Android phone quicker and I can use the Pandora source on it rather than Bluetooth audio. Even the MS Band works just the same as it did with my Lumia.
    - OneDrive: I can still backup all of my photos there, which is cool.
    - Fingerprint reader: More of a phone feature, but it does make it easier to login than using a PIN each time.
    - Phone selection: There are many to choose from. I'm still trying to understand the benefits of rooting and stuff, but I don't think my OnePlus 2 was a bad choice for my first Android phone. It makes a capable starter for $275.
    - Bing backgrounds: Still got 'em.

Overall the transition wasn't too painful. Right now I don't think there's any OS or ecosystem that's perfect, so there's no sense in battling with each other about which platform is better. I do see evidence that Microsoft was trying to develop their mobile OS more than others have been. Hopefully that refinement will continue and I can go back to a WP device with more app availability and device compatibility.
    libra89, Timbre70, mark233 and 3 others like this.
    11-07-2016 02:46 PM
    SquareHome2 (with key) gives you Windows 10 and waaayyyyyy more already. see it at the Play Store. YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!!

Peace. Alan
    Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver, Luxury Sedan Class
    Lumia ICON [Win10M 14959.1000] Toy, GT4 Sport Class
    Thanks for the tip. Just bought it, and wow! Very, very cool app.
    11-07-2016 02:59 PM
    ...I've decided to wait for the next iteration of the Pixel. Next year maybe?
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-07-2016 04:26 PM
    ...I've decided to wait for the next iteration of the Pixel. Next year maybe?
    I think that's a good decision. You have some cool phones right now.
    And that Idol 4s looks nice though.
    Laura Knotek and mark233 like this.
    11-07-2016 04:28 PM
    Along with a B&H catalog ( ), I got the Z5 Compact today. Unfortunately, it was on Marshmallow to start with. That's unfortunate because for some reason, Sony decided to remove the option of seeing stats when you tap the battery graph in MM. That aside, I tried the cameras and they just can't compete with my Honor 8 or iPhone SE. Sony's just not my deal I guess, maybe I'll try again eventually. It's going back, going to request that RMA in the morning.

Otherwise, the Honor 8 is just too good to me to shelf it. It's an awesome phone for me, so the chronic switcher title lives on, but just between my currently owned devices.
    Last edited by libra89; 11-07-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    11-07-2016 09:21 PM
    I have a desire to try iOS even though iPhones are extremely overpriced. Do you guys think its "user friendliness" is overrated? People usually describe it as a phone that "just works"...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-08-2016 08:16 AM
    I have a desire to try iOS even though iPhones are extremely overpriced. Do you guys think its "user friendliness" is overrated? People usually describe it as a phone that "just works"...
    I would say that it is not. You do have to set up the phone with a SIM originally but it's fairly simple to use. It generally does just work.

Edit: Because I don't want to double post again in a short time frame, I just learned that the popular app for staying focused called Forest is on Windows Mobile. I found that to be really cool, whoa.
    Last edited by libra89; 11-08-2016 at 09:51 PM.
    11-08-2016 08:20 AM
    Sad to say, but our days Win Mobile is done. :( Pixel is on order. I wanted desperately to stay, but our Lumias are dying and there just isn't enough out there to convince the wife (who was ready to go), and even me (who doesn't want to leave) to stay or get a cheap Windows phone waiting for some magic new device. Breaks my heart, but there just isn't anything exciting or good enough out there right now. :(

I've been here since the 8x and loved the platform and the environment. I will miss my Tiles so, so much... But just can't keep fighting with things not working, no new phones and limited apps. If they can get something better in the next year I will come back gladly, but for now this is good bye Windows Phone. :(
    11-10-2016 08:30 PM
    Enjoy that Pixel, man. I'm hoping for a Windows 10 Mobile revamp, too. Until then, however, Android is certainly a good alternative. :)
    11-10-2016 08:58 PM
    Sad to say, but our days Win Mobile is done. :( Pixel is on order. I wanted desperately to stay, but our Lumias are dying and there just isn't enough out there to convince the wife (who was ready to go), and even me (who doesn't want to leave) to stay or get a cheap Windows phone waiting for some magic new device. Breaks my heart, but there just isn't anything exciting or good enough out there right now. :( .......... , but for now this is good bye Windows Phone. :(
    It's just another "Rite of Passage".

The absolute worst part about the transition to Android is those nauseating default avatars at Android Central and how stingy everyone is with their "LIKES" no matter how well they receive/appreciate your 'reply' .

Hopefully, one day, we'll start streaming back to Windows... and here to Windows Central.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver
    Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby
    Last edited by Shamshi-Adad; 11-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    libra89 and mark233 like this.
    11-11-2016 09:15 AM
    I'm about a month in with the S7 Edge. I will say, things do just work. I like being able to log into websites with my fingerprint via LastPass. I loaded the SwiftKey keyboard (MS) and I seem to have re-gained the prediction I lost after the Cyan update. I no longer have to go to the bank because all my banks have apps. The Bing background keeps it fresh everyday, but it just doesn't feel like home.
    11-11-2016 09:25 AM
    It's just another "Rite of Passage".

The absolute worst part about the transition to Android is those nauseating default avatars at Android Central and how stingy everyone is with their "LIKES" no matter how well they receive/appreciate your 'reply' .

Hopefully, one day, we'll start streaming back to Windows... and here to Windows Central.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose I win.
    I always thought the little green Android is cute.

How about stopping over at Android Central and making it better? Many of us from Windows Central are at Android Central (and iMore too). 😊
    libra89, Shamshi-Adad and mark233 like this.
    11-11-2016 11:11 AM
    I always thought the little green Android is cute.

How about stopping over at Android Central and making it better? Many of us from Windows Central are at Android Central (and iMore too). ��
    I'm over there. I just don't have any problems to post about I've replied to a few as well. I mostly just read and learn for now cause The S7 EDGE just doesn't have problems.
    I mostly pick from the unanswered posts if I can, so my posts tend to be in other Forums than the S7 Edge.

I "DO" make a habit of sprinkling my "LIKES" around.

See ya around.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Laura Knotek and Timbre70 like this.
    11-11-2016 11:58 AM
    I'm over there. I just don't have any problems to post about I've replied to a few as well. I mostly just read and learn for now cause The S7 EDGE just doesn't have problems.
    I mostly pick from the unanswered posts if I can, so my posts tend to be in other Forums than the S7 Edge.

See ya around.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.

I "DO" make a habit of sprinkling my "LIKES" around.
    Funny you should mention the S7 edge. I'm at my doctor's office waiting now. The receptionist has an S7 edge. I saw the colour flashing on its sides while it was sitting on her desk.
    Shamshi-Adad and libra89 like this.
    11-11-2016 12:02 PM
    Funny you should mention the S7 edge. I'm at my doctor's office waiting now. The receptionist has an S7 edge. I saw the colour flashing on its sides while it was sitting on her desk.
    Samsung is offering the NOUGAT Beta to all S7 and S7 Edges now. Its said all the good stuff that we had on the Note 7 is in the Nougat. So I have THAT to look forward to this weekend. "Shades of the Insider Program". Now I'll be cookin'

EDIT > How to get Nougat? for S7 and S7 Edge only. Thread here.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Last edited by Shamshi-Adad; 11-11-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-2016 12:34 PM
    Samsung is offering the NOUGAT Beta to all S7 and S7 Edges now. Its said all the good stuff that we had on the Note 7 is in the Nougat. So I have THAT to look forward to this weekend. "Shades of the Insider Program". Now I'll be cookin'

EDIT > How to get Nougat? for S7 and S7 Edge only. Thread here.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    She went to lunch while I with the doctor and wasn't back when I left, so I couldn't tell her.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    11-11-2016 01:13 PM
    Yeah. One of the uses of that thin edge is you can color code your contacts and incoming call from Mom can be whatever and so on.
    Your avatar is cute... my avatar is cute... that Android avatar is cute in concept, but the usage of it so beyond ubiquitous its just fugly

Meh....

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-2016 02:50 PM
    Yeah. One of the uses of that thin edge is you can color code your contacts and incoming call from Mom can be whatever and so on.
    Your avatar is cute... my avatar is cute... that Android avatar is cute in concept, but the usage of it so beyond ubiquitous its just fugly

Meh....

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    I understand what you're saying. It's like the smiley face in the 70s is cute, but it was too common so it became boring.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    11-11-2016 03:04 PM
    I understand what you're saying. It's like the smiley face in the 70s is cute, but it was too common so it became boring.
    Just when I start usin' emojis, I find out from a cool chick I know that its pass...

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Last edited by Shamshi-Adad; 11-11-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-2016 04:05 PM
    I'm about a month in with the S7 Edge. I will say, things do just work. ............. , but it just doesn't feel like home.
    It will... it will.... sooner than you think.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    11-11-2016 04:27 PM
    Just when I start usin' emojis, I find out from a cool chick I know that its pass...

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Alan,
    I don't mind emojis. I'm talking about those t-shirts and buttons that were popular in the 70s along with the Pet Rocks.
    11-11-2016 06:11 PM
5,481 ... 136137138139140 ...