Yesterday 04:08 PM
5,463 ... 141142143144145 ...
tools
    I have always bought my ebooks from Amazon and Kindle is always one of the first apps I install on a setup. But I gotta say my ONLY way to read is with the Kindle on my iPad. Back before I retired, if a book had such a grip on me that I'd read it on my phone I'd just call in sick. Longest I ever called in sick for a book was 3 days lol. It helps that I'm a champion at sounding sick when I call in

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
    Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster
    That's awesome that you did that! Whoa! I think the Kindle app on WP has either stopped working or has been pulled and you can't even read in the browser either. Bummer.

I rarely buy ebooks, but I use Amazon Kindle to read library ebooks that I borrow.
    I am the same as you! OverDrive is where it's at for me though. Too bad that the app on this platform is horrible, so I use Edge to read.

I'm a chronic switcher myself and message backup is one of those features that WM has had nailed for some time now. I wish I could use iOS on a regular basis but their jailhouse rules aren't conducive to productivity. A quick example is not having Miracast available. Continuum still needs work to be an everyday tool (overheats CPUs) so a quick connection via HDMI is enough for a quickie doc presentation. I can get that from a $30 L640!!!

I'm trying really hard to let go of my Passport but........
    Well said. I am a big fan that I can hard reset my phone and still have my old texts populate here. That's true about iOS though, too.

I believe that's correct Alan but I'm on T-Mobile, where cellular users go to die.
    LOL, also on T-Mobile too. Hence the whole wondering what phone that text is on or asking someone if they can send me an address again because "it's on my other phone".
    Apologies for the double quoting lol

I just never bought many books even physical books, since I have always gone to the library and even worked at a library as my first job when I was 16. However, don't even about my vinyl and CDs; I have loads of those.
    Nice! Do you remember what you did when you worked there? The library is a cool place for books and such, I appreciate working in one, it seems to be the only thing I am good at (haha)

Side note, I'm really pleased that you all are also into books. Just made my night.
    11-26-2016 07:55 PM
    I believe that's correct Alan but I'm on T-Mobile, where cellular users go to die.
    Ain't no TMO out here in the country.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-2016 07:56 PM
    Nice! Do you remember what you did when you worked there? The library is a cool place for books and such, I appreciate working in one, it seems to be the only thing I am good at (haha)

Side note, I'm really pleased that you all are also into books. Just made my night!
    I worked as a page and a clerk.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-26-2016 07:57 PM
    Boxes and Boxes of vinyl and about 400 cds. Nothing but mp3&4s now. I know I won't live long enough to see it but one day these info libraries of books and music and/or wifi will be built into our bodies. Then we can all do 'small houses'.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    I've digitised many of my CDs so I can listen to my albums on my mobile devices, but I rip them to FLAC rather than MP3 so the digital albums sound as good as the CDs.
    libra89 and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    11-26-2016 08:00 PM
    I worked as a page and a clerk.
    Very cool!
    11-26-2016 08:01 PM

Side note, I'm really pleased that you all are also into books. Just made my night.
    I'll bet if you'd been asked, out of the blue, if we were readers, you'd have thought about it and said yes.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-26-2016 08:07 PM
    I've digitised many of my CDs so I can listen to my albums on my mobile devices, but I rip them to FLAC rather than MP3 so the digital albums sound as good as the CDs.
    Digitizing vinyl is straight up sacrilege. If Peter Frampton or Carlos Santana ever show up in Cleveland you must beg for their forgiveness.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    11-26-2016 08:13 PM
    Did you know that Neil Young was the driving force behind getting FLACs off the ground and runnin'?

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-26-2016 08:13 PM
    Digitizing vinyl is straight up sacrilege. If Peter Frampton or Carlos Santana ever show up in Cleveland you must beg for their forgiveness.
    Sort of related, but I use a DAC when listening to CDs. They change the digital cd output back to analog and pass it to the amp. I use it on all my CDs.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-26-2016 08:18 PM
    I kept the final version of WinAmp Pro because it rips to FLAC. And it runs on Win10!!!

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    11-26-2016 08:24 PM
    Sort of related, but I use a DAC when listening to CDs. They change the digital cd output back to analog and pass it to the amp. I use it on all my CDs.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.

My biggest gripe with digital music is the lack of depth in recordings. I grew up in the 70s listening to the best R&B and rock music ever recorded. I'm sure you remember, as I do, listening to Quadraphonic stereo back in the day. Nothing even comes close.
    11-26-2016 08:25 PM
    My biggest gripe with digital music is the lack of depth in recordings. I grew up in the 70s listening to the best R&B and rock music ever recorded. I'm sure you remember, as I do, listening to Quadraphonic stereo back in the day. Nothing even comes close.
    Man, I'm tellin' ya. Get a DAC - anywhere from $100 to $4000.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-2016 08:28 PM
    Man, I'm tellin' ya. Get a DAC - anywhere from $100 to $4000.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.

See if this brings back any memories. It's the first time I ever heard the term "Google".
    11-26-2016 08:29 PM
    See if this brings back any memories. It's the first time I ever heard the term "Google".
    Thanks for that. lol

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-2016 08:42 PM
    Welp ! Time to curl up with a ebook and that 97lb Black Lab.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    11-26-2016 08:46 PM
    I don't digitise vinyl!
    11-26-2016 09:50 PM

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    So do I. I have a FiiO Q1.
    11-26-2016 09:51 PM
    I like 70s music too, which anyone probably can tell by my avatar.
    Guytronic and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-26-2016 09:52 PM
    **yaaawn** borrriiing LOL iPhone is so boring! android is a little more fun
    I've heard this about iPhone and even some people have said the same about android.

What makes something boring?

At my age and seeing how things developed and how tech companies go out of their way to make the most money possible from their tech by slowing down development on purpose, I have a hard time not calling anything boring.

Thing is, at the end of the day, today's tech is about doing things with it. iPhone, android and even WP accomplish this. So you might as well say all tech is boring because they all do the same thing.
    11-27-2016 05:43 AM
    Somebody may find this helpful. My short time with iOS has revealed something hugely disappointing - Microsoft's apps are far better here than on their own OS! Ugh, really? They even treated their own apps like step children.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    11-27-2016 11:15 AM
    Somebody may find this helpful. My short time with iOS has revealed something hugely disappointing - Microsoft's apps are far better here than on their own OS! Ugh, really? They even treated their own apps like step children.
    Ya' know I've heard that a LOT. So I took my ICON and S7edge (not iOS, I know) both for rides on Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive which are the only MS apps I really rely on and though there's differences I have no complaints. BUT I CAN'T speak to Word, Excel, Power Point, admittedly because I've never had a need other than to 'read' them on a phone.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    11-27-2016 02:16 PM
    I've heard this about iPhone and even some people have said the same about android.

What makes something boring?

At my age and seeing how things developed and how tech companies go out of their way to make the most money possible from their tech by slowing down development on purpose, I have a hard time not calling anything boring.

Thing is, at the end of the day, today's tech is about doing things with it. iPhone, android and even WP accomplish this. So you might as well say all tech is boring because they all do the same thing.
    You have a great point.

For me, it's boring because you can't change much. You can only change your wallpapers and ringtones, and of course, put the apps you don't want in a never ending folder. (I know that in iOS 10, you can "delete" some apple apps, but I'm speaking generally)
    Android is more interesting because you can change as much as you want and even hide apps with some phones and launchers. Additionally, depending on the phone, you don't have to have all of your apps in your face either.

When it comes to hardware, there are only 3 sizes, and 5 color choices for the iPhone. Android has many choices. Everyone can say that they have Android on their phone and yet, none of them have the same phone and they don't even look the same on the home screen(s).
    A point that drives this home for me is something that happens quite a bit when I use my iPhone SE while with friends. My SE is rose gold and has a white front, and one of my friends has one too, also white front but gold. She always wonders if it is my phone or hers when mine lays on a chair or table.
    11-27-2016 09:01 PM
    You have a great point.

For me, it's boring because you can't change much. You can only change your wallpapers and ringtones, and of course, put the apps you don't want in a never ending folder. (I know that in iOS 10, you can "delete" some apple apps, but I'm speaking generally)
    Android is more interesting because you can change as much as you want and even hide apps with some phones and launchers. Additionally, depending on the phone, you don't have to have all of your apps in your face either.

When it comes to hardware, there are only 3 sizes, and 5 color choices for the iPhone. Android has many choices. Everyone can say that they have Android on their phone and yet, none of them have the same phone and they don't even look the same on the home screen(s).
    A point that drives this home for me is something that happens quite a bit when I use my iPhone SE while with friends. My SE is rose gold and has a white front, and one of my friends has one too, also white front but gold. She always wonders if it is my phone or hers when mine lays on a chair or table.
    I have nothing against customisation but I've often wondered why people make such a big fuss over it. But I know it has to do with the idea of 'ownership'.

If I look at it from a user perspective. You look at your lock screen maybe for 1 - 2 seconds. You look at your wallpaper for all of 2 - 3 seconds before tapping the notification or app you want.

As for bloatware, yes I agree that having that on there is really annoying and I can appreciate why people want to delete it, which is why I pointed out my issue with slow development and Apple is a big culprit in this one. Though there are others.

The key thing in all this is interface to me. What's easy to use and can you set it up to use the way you want? That's what's important.

I've never used an Apple device so I have no idea of it's interface. Both WP and Android offer ways for you to use the phone the way you want. Which I like. I should point out that live tiles was never a big draw for me.

So for me as a user, what's important to me is how easy is it to do the things I want to do? Which is why I pointed out that technology is about doing things these days. When you get down to it, all mobile devices now are just rectangular shaped slabs, just slightly different. There's little innovation there. What's important is how it's used and what you can use it for. That is the key thing.

That's ignoring the camera side of things, which is a whole other conversation.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 11-29-2016 at 03:12 AM.
    libra89, tgp, Rinsun and 1 others like this.
    11-28-2016 03:26 AM
    So do I. I have a FiiO Q1.
    For those interested, there is a (somewhat quiet) thread on using a DAC on WP here. If you have a second, please share your experience in that thread.
    Shamshi-Adad and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-28-2016 11:52 AM
    For those interested, there is a (somewhat quiet) thread on using a DAC on WP here. If you have a second, please share your experience in that thread.
    I've only used my DAC on Windows PCs and Android devices.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    11-28-2016 12:44 PM
5,463 ... 141142143144145 ...