Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10M Official 10586.494 Discussion (Threshold Branch, Production Ring/Official)

thanks for the information. Then it is time for me to buy another OS. I updated the 925 to see the development of W10M but in general it does not satisfy me. Maps is not correct enough, still the app gap, battery drain, the mail doesn't work as it should be ( and this is common for W10!, it's disastrous). I think I will switch to a google machine :( the ideas of W10 are okay, but just it's all a bit to late and not complete enough. And now they don't give chance for people with older device to sew how it'll be. As being end of line, it's not sufficient I would say.

If you are buying a new phone anyway why not get a W10 Phone that will upgrade to the new version? The Lumia 640 is cheaper than any decent Andriod phone.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Moving on. Again.

I started with a little Samsung flip phone, then a bunch of little Blackberry things, HTC Radar, LG G4, and now this Note 7. I can't wait.

Tbh, I doubt I'll ever necessarily move on from Samsung or Notes again. But, we'll see. I sure wish Outlook was better, though. Its funny though, I was some close of getting an iPhone some years ago, but now, eh.

Attachments

• 003 02.png
    003 02.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Genz3r

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: W10M Official 10586.494 Discussion (Threshold Branch, Production Ring/Official)

If you are buying a new phone anyway why not get a W10 Phone that will upgrade to the new version? The Lumia 640 is cheaper than any decent Andriod phone.

Because I'm not sure that W10m is on a good, decent level. Now with the 925 I see troubles which I think will be also in any W10 phone. Especially the mail app is so terrible bad.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Because I'm not sure that W10m is on a good, decent level. Now with the 925 I see troubles which I think will be also in any W10 phone. Especially the mail app is so terrible bad.

What problems are you having with the mail app? I use mine all day long for both business and personal and have no issues on my 640XL.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For me, I switch to iOS (iPhone) and I use my Lumia 1520 as a second device.

Moving on. Again.

I started with a little Samsung flip phone, then a bunch of little Blackberry things, HTC Radar, LG G4, and now this Note 7. I can't wait.

Tbh, I doubt I'll ever necessarily move on from Samsung or Notes again. But, we'll see. I sure wish Outlook was better, though. Its funny though, I was some close of getting an iPhone some years ago, but now, eh.

The most important thing you can do is what will work for you. It's very easy to follow Windows 10 Mobile on your Windows Phone. I do it as well, really looking forward to the anniversary update.

As for me, I'm in an odd place right now. I'm too lazy to customize icons on my SE, so I just edited a background to my liking which works and annoys me way less than the usual. However, I'm refusing to turn on iMessage and FaceTime (not personally invested in using those things so eh), while trying to decide my next course of action. Sold the A9, and I'm working on selling my Robin (size is annoying). At this point in time, I have a primary phone by force in the SE but I don't know if I should try a 950 or wait for a smaller Android phone with decent battery life and specs :grin:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have many 'I wants' ... Idol Pro 4 ... The next Nexus (HTC made) ... next Microsoft flagship ... new rumored Surface All in One ... 32 hour workweek :grincry:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have many 'I wants' ... Idol Pro 4 ... The next Nexus (HTC made) ... next Microsoft flagship ... new rumored Surface All in One ... 32 hour workweek :grincry:
Ahh it's so hard. The more "leaks", the more curiosity I have about the rumored Nexus.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been asked "Why do you have so many different phones?" ... my first reply is always "Because sports cars are too expensive for me." lol

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
You should take a 950 for a spin soon Libra. They're getting to borderline affordable ridiculous about soon now. Sell that Robin and the A9, and you have yourself some nice spare change. And a new 950 to test. Maybe like even. Until its drool time for teh new Nexus :p And with your SE, you are in no lack of the App Gap as people call it.

From what I'm hearing, the AU is really taking the brakes off these devices. I'd personally dig a 950XL for me. But I'm broke as turd. Heart too. :/ So whatever me.

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been asked "Why do you have so many different phones?" ... my first reply is always "Because sports cars are too expensive for me." lol

Best response ever!

You should take a 950 for a spin soon Libra. They're getting to borderline affordable ridiculous about soon now. Sell that Robin and the A9, and you have yourself some nice spare change. And a new 950 to test. Maybe like even. Until its drool time for teh new Nexus :p And with your SE, you are in no lack of the App Gap as people call it.

From what I'm hearing, the AU is really taking the brakes off these devices. I'd personally dig a 950XL for me. But I'm broke as turd. Heart too. :/ So whatever me.

-- W

Thank you, I just might. I'm not a flagship phone person (mid-range all the way for me) but with these prices, I'll be silly to not at least try. The A9 is gone, the Robin just needs to be lol. We'll see. I love the size of the SE, but not the lack of customization. If one of the new Nexus is smaller (5.2" or less, preferably less), I'll be more interested. I'm really leaning on trying it.

Aw that sucks that you can't have one right now. Yeah, I think it'll probably be great. I'm not ready to get off Production to rejoin Insider to find out, lol.

Edit: So I decided to buy the 950 to try it out. I hope to like it, we'll see. At least I know the camera is great though.

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Damn. Did I just reel you in line, hook and sinker with one post Libra? Dayum. Wish that worked in real life for me too. :/

And I'd much rather real life work out for me than a 950XL, but yes, I'd settle for a 950XL if life wont work out. :p

But on a more serious note, not that I wasnt serious before, but the 950/XL are technically creeping into midrange category with the release of SD820 devices on the market. So you need'nt worry yourself about it too much anymore if you catch my drift. ;) You're purchasing a definitely flagship midrange device. :D

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Damn. Did I just reel you in line, hook and sinker with one post Libra? Dayum. Wish that worked in real life for me too. :/

And I'd much rather real life work out for me than a 950XL, but yes, I'd settle for a 950XL if life wont work out. :p

But on a more serious note, not that I wasnt serious before, but the 950/XL are technically creeping into midrange category with the release of SD820 devices on the market. So you need'nt worry yourself about it too much anymore if you catch my drift. ;) You're purchasing a definitely flagship midrange device. :D

-- W

I guess you did! Aw, at least it will work sometimes but seriously I hope that real life works out for you too, with or without the 950 XL.

You're right, that's a good way to look at it. :)

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Guess that means I just have to keep plugging away at it if you get what I mean. :p

But on a more serious note, thank you for the good will Libra. :) And also, have you checked what AT&T is doing? They have the Lumia 950 down to 299, brand spanking new at that too! Buy from them, unlock outside, and use wherever. :D Not sure if you havent already ordered though, but this is about as much as that Robin set you back by. :)

-- W

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thats a pretty big minus friend, for a surface phone. Just saying. :p

But in all honesty, the Surface design language is world apart from the Samsung/Galaxy design language. Heck, HTC is a dozen miles closer to what Panos Panay does in terms of design. Just speaking as an industrial designer though. In terms of specs and feature parity, you're probably right though. :)

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Guess that means I just have to keep plugging away at it if you get what I mean. :p

But on a more serious note, thank you for the good will Libra. :) And also, have you checked what AT&T is doing? They have the Lumia 950 down to 299, brand spanking new at that too! Buy from them, unlock outside, and use wherever. :D Not sure if you havent already ordered though, but this is about as much as that Robin set you back by. :)

-- W
You're welcome! I did see that, but I already ordered and it has already been shipped :( . To be fair, that version is still missing DTTW and that is something that I miss on my SE. I was glad to see it on the A9 but it was kind of fickle. At least it's coming to me on Monday! :excited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, double tap to wake, damn do I miss that thing on my ATIV. I cant remember the last time I used the power button on my 640. Or even my old 520s. Also, just a point of note but it is kind of sad that both Android and iOS have adopted so much from WP/WM, from features like OIS, Glance, DTTW, flatter UI designs for both OSes, focus on typography, and I could go on some more. And yet there's no love lost, or any credit given anywhere. To anyone.

Its just like the older days, with PalmOS all over again. HP's philandering ways notwithstanding. Everyone took from them. In terms of UI/UX and OS design. Yet, no one's ever given them credit for it. Or let them survive for that matter. :/ But those are just the ramblings of an old fan. Dont mind me.

MONDDDAAAYYYY!!!!!! :D :D :D

-- W

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I moved from Lumia 950 XL to iPhone 6S Plus. I have long history with Windows mobile all the way back to PocketPC. Started out WP with Lumia 900, 920, 520, 635, 640, 950XL. I am one of those person that have around 300+ apps installed on my phone. Doesn't matter if it was using Android, WP, or iOS lol. All apps are still better on iOS. I had iPhone 4S before, but the screen was too small, which was why I left iOS. Facebook is not the same app in W10M as on iOS like some people say. I miss the amoled screen on 950XL though. Battery life is a lot better on 6S Plus. Everything seems to run at 1000FPS on 6S Plus, even 3rd party apps. Haven't had any app crashing so far. Have phone for few weeks now. Surprisingly, iOS has SharePoint app that is missing on W10M. Even the Onedrive app on iOS has integration with SharePoint that is not on W10M. I now have access to all the apps that left Windows mobile (Mint, VEVO, Priceline, Amazon, Paypal). iOS has access to all MS, Google, and Apple apps if you think about it. Will wait and see what MS will do with the app situation.

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
MS isnt going to do anything about that app situation Abstract. They already tried, doned, figured, and failed at that one. Sadly its the market thats unwilling to embrace them, or us - for that matter. So if you're on the platform for that reason, waiting for it, or leaving because of it - dont hold your breath friend. But its good to see another old timer back from the PocketPC days. Those were the days man, those were the days.

But I would like to respectfully disagree on having access to all the same apps on iOS or Android. I dare you to find me 6Tag or 6Tin. Okay okay, I'm just kidding. Dont hold me to that. :/

And all my whining about the lack of DTTW on my Ativ just reminded me. Its better featured than all them darn Lumias out there. I tell you the truth! It has single tap to wake going for it. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a fact as factful as facts come factfull! It has a clickety click physical home/start button, that actually depresses like - :O :O :O - the old buttons of yore! On actual phones! :O You press it once, and the screen comes on! :D :D :D Bwahahahahahahhaa!!!! Take that, all you DTTW sympathisers. Theres a single tap to wake too! Hmph. :mad:

Okay okay, I'm done being stupid. Over and out, all.

-- W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett