02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    I don't know... I found it to be pretty smooth IMHO, just overwhelming and chaotic. There's way too much you can and should do on it, and it should only appeal to an enthusiast who loves to set and customize a lot of different things in the phone. As for lagging after a while, that's what I mean by taking care of it as though it were a PC. Not convenient, but that's the price for having an OS you can literally turn upside down and inside out at your will.
    I needed something balanced. Customize-able plus smooth with everything that just works perfectly. So iPhone was the answer.
    07-24-2013 05:43 PM
    The one and only, JAILBREAK. It's the best thing that ever happened to iOS and after you jailbreak, I believe you get equal amount of customization as compared to android without any lags or stuff. WP is too simple. Live tiles are good but thats pretty much about the customization thingy. Maybe they should at least give out updates for auto rotation locks and stuff which will make the phone use-able while on bed or a sofa at night.

The applications which are available on the windows store are too buggy. Developers should pay attention to the apps and make them work flawless just like the OS. WP is a really good OS, but there is nothing to support that OS.

When I got the lumia 920, people used to stare at me with great disgust and used to say, ''You off your rocket to buy a windows sh** and giving iPhone away?''. Anyways, WP does not gets the respect which it should get. People don't know much about it but the mistake is on the both sides. People are ignorant and so are the app developers of WP OS.
    As a former iPhone user myself, I never understood all the hubalub about jailbreaking. What's the point? If you want to customize to that extent, go with Android like others have said. The last thing I would want is to have unauthorized apps on my phone that could possibly contain malware or spyware.

Also, who cares what other people say or think about your phone?? I could care less about what people think of mine. My boyfriend's roommate made some dumb remarks about my 810 back when I was using it. In reality, even though he's a database administrator who uses Windows a ton on computers, he knows nothing about WP. Heck, he uses an iPhone 5 and only used BlackBerry for work in the past, so what would he know?
    a5cent, xratola and sdc1 like this.
    07-24-2013 06:08 PM
    As a man who sells the competition and has used all modern makes in amounts that would make even some of you cry (that is the rate at which I switch out devices) the Lumia 920 has been the only phone I actively wanted to keep.

iOS? Even with iOS 7 it has been very boring. I don't use my 4S/5 anymore and even the iPad gets a lot of neglect because its just boring. Android? I love the HTC One, I'd recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a new phone at all. Samsung is way too into the plastics, I wish they'd go polycarb if not to metals entirely. Blackberry? Nice hardware, the OS was intuitive but thats a wait and see right now. I don't want to buy into a as of yet unproven OS. WP8? It beats Apple at their own game of simplicity in the OS while retaining way more open software than Apple will ever release, that is just a fact.

Here is this to consider, I have 300+ apps on my iOS account. Enough that I don't want to cut out Apple cold turkey since I still use a lot of apps and hey, why would I ditch thousands in spending? Here is the rub however, I haven't found WP8 to be lacking for what I really want to use. Of those 300 apps on my iPhone, ~30 of them sit in 3 folders on my main screen that I actually and actively use. Everything else? I slowly started deleting because it was just fluff that served no purpose. Coincidentally, that number is exactly what it is on Android and on WP8. I only have what I actually use, so saying iOS or Android have more apps isn't somehow a better thing.

What I really mean is pick what makes you happy and sod off. We don't need explanations or good buy posts or what have you. I don't get that mentality, no one really cares at all.

P.S. LOLOLOL at the 920 being too heavy. Do you even lift bro?
    07-24-2013 07:02 PM
    The OP and others like him are "interesting". It really is absurd that full grown adults call devices "heavy" that are measured in GRAMS!!! Grams ppl.....g-r-a-m-s. So let's get real here and completely eliminate that as being a reason of any sort, on any planet, using any logic, for someone to thumb their nose at the L920.

And hacking and modding a device in jail breaking an iPhone is a simple admission, either consciously or not, that iOS out of the box is too walled off, too restrictive, and too boring. Because why else would someone need to fundamentally change anything about an OS that is perceived (or brainwashed) to be " the best"? Doesn't quite add up.

And then there's the ever glaring app disparity which the OP brought to light. First and foremost he is 1000% correct about that. But wait (here comes the sarcasm!) aren't we comparing an App Store that has been around for FIVE friggin YEARS to an OS that came out roughly 8 or 9 months ago?!!!!!???!! So if that's not an apple to oranges (yes, i know) comparison I seriously don't know what else is. That's like giving the Windows Phone platform sh*t bc they dont have the 120,000 clock and farting apps that iOS has had 5....F-I-V-E.....effing years to acquire. Oh wait, I guess it would've been more useful if I would've used a similarly comparative example to further drive home my point, instead of the actual scenario itself. Oh well....

But overall I can respect the freedom of choice bc there isn't a "right" OS or carrier or manufacturer that fits everyone and their needs. But giving WP a slap on the wrist for not having the life altering apps that are Instagram or Flipboard for example is extremely short sighted imo. While I agree that apps nowadays do drive an OS forward or can also subsequently hold an OS back if they are absent, I think the OP might benefit from not being a prisoner of the moment and making rash decisions based on not having a more robust Facebook chat app available to him and unilaterally low balling WP in defense of that "logic".
    TheTXMarshal likes this.
    07-24-2013 11:17 PM
    Grams ppl.....g-r-a-m-s. So let's get real here and completely eliminate that as being a reason of any sort, on any planet, using any logic, ...
    I'm not sold on the planet angle. On Jupiter the Lumia 920 would weigh nearly a pound, so if the OP regularly visits there, he may have a point.
    gab1972 likes this.
    07-24-2013 11:34 PM
    All the best with your iphone.
    I never bothered to even check out an iphone or an android phone.
    Directly jumped the Windows Phone wagon!
    Hell yeah, i'm loving it. Can't complain as I've never used any other smartphone.
    satpal123 likes this.
    07-24-2013 11:50 PM
    07-25-2013 12:26 AM
    To be honest....

While I acknowledge there is a "gap" in Windows Phone compared to the other competitors, there's also something different that it brings that the other platforms can't (for me). I've revisited iOS twice (iPhone 3GS and the 5), and I've also tried out Android three times (Samsung Transform, MyTouch 4G, and the LG Optimus G). Both have their advantages and their disadvantages, but I didn't feel like they represented who I was.

iOS was great because every app you could want was available, but I was really tired of just launching apps with so many red notifications across my homescreen. While my Android experience was better with each trial, the endless customizations was something that didn't appeal to me. I don't want to work that hard to make my home screen reflect what kind of user I am (Have you tried some of those home screen tutorials? Trust me, even with a step by step instruction, every device doesn't wield the same result), and even after going through all of that work of setting it up, I still don't like how I have to open a lot of apps to scroll through endless amount of junk to see what my friends are up to.

Windows Phone keeps everything centrally located, and for me that works the best. I have my groups to filter out who I want to see updates about, I can bing search and hit the music note if I want to know what song is on the radio (vs. scrolling for that Shazaam app to catch the song before it ends), I don't have to blindly tap the onscreen camera button to take a picture with my friends, AND I have the choice of different devices like I would on Android. Before I was upset that apps like Instagram wasn't available, but like with most applications I wanted, alternatives or official apps came in time. For me, this is it. My main device will never be anything other than Windows Phone unless they do something to make me dislike it. If I want to test out other platforms, I won't waste an upgrade or sell my Windows device to support that curiosity cause I'm just going to return back to this platform.
    LeLee092, a5cent and eric12341 like this.
    07-25-2013 03:28 AM
    To be honest....

While I acknowledge there is a "gap" in Windows Phone compared to the other competitors, there's also something different that it brings that the other platforms can't (for me). I've revisited iOS twice (iPhone 3GS and the 5), and I've also tried out Android three times (Samsung Transform, MyTouch 4G, and the LG Optimus G). Both have their advantages and their disadvantages, but I didn't feel like they represented who I was.

iOS was great because every app you could want was available, but I was really tired of just launching apps with so many red notifications across my homescreen. While my Android experience was better with each trial, the endless customizations was something that didn't appeal to me. I don't want to work that hard to make my home screen reflect what kind of user I am (Have you tried some of those home screen tutorials? Trust me, even with a step by step instruction, every device doesn't wield the same result), and even after going through all of that work of setting it up, I still don't like how I have to open a lot of apps to scroll through endless amount of junk to see what my friends are up to.

Windows Phone keeps everything centrally located, and for me that works the best. I have my groups to filter out who I want to see updates about, I can bing search and hit the music note if I want to know what song is on the radio (vs. scrolling for that Shazaam app to catch the song before it ends), I don't have to blindly tap the onscreen camera button to take a picture with my friends, AND I have the choice of different devices like I would on Android. Before I was upset that apps like Instagram wasn't available, but like with most applications I wanted, alternatives or official apps came in time. For me, this is it. My main device will never be anything other than Windows Phone unless they do something to make me dislike it. If I want to test out other platforms, I won't waste an upgrade or sell my Windows device to support that curiosity cause I'm just going to return back to this platform.
    Yes i completely agree! I constantly surprise my friends with some of the things WP8 can do...for instance if i want to show someone a friends cover photo on their facebook..on IOS or Android i have to launch Facebook..wait for it to load up...type their name...go to their profile and then click their profile picture
    with WP8 I just go to Photos..click on people..click on my friend..and viola! all their pictures of all their albums appear

Reason why I got the 810 when my 8x was stolen...thats the other good thing, equal experience regardless of lowend or high end devices, unlike android
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-25-2013 04:22 AM
    Well I have used windows mobile from the beginning days to when it moved to WP7 Using my HTC Titan II then to WP8 using a Lumia 920. Now I have to say I have given up on the platform. How do make a new mobile platform and it lacks basic features WP7 I don't know. Then you ditch it for a newer platform called WP8 and still you lack basic features. Then for all the updates MS is slow and it still lacks basic features. MS has burned my reputation as far as phone advice goes and I don't recommend Windows Phone period now. I see folks here always waiting for the next update, the next update, the next update. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times I am a fool.

I've cut my loses and refuse to play this game anymore. I have since passed along my Lumia 920 to my brother and moved on back to Googles side of the house. I now have an LG optimus G Pro and couldn't be more happier. I did have Galaxy Note II but sold it because I didn't want to have a samsung phone anymore. My wife has also moved back to android. She had a Galaxy Note II as well be also is tired of samsungs crap as well. Now she has a Sony Xperia and couldn't be any happier.

cckgz4 likes this.
    07-25-2013 11:53 AM
    Read it fully

Here's are some reasons :

1.Integrated Facebook Doesn't work properly (check-in occasionally doesn't work , Facebook chat couldn't connect at times and sent messages sometimes not received by others).

2."Other Storage" issue is still not fixed properly , Nokia cleaning app or shrink storage app only help to solve the problem to some extent.

3.Notifications : Main issue I face is , Buggy notifications especially toast notifications.Lets say that I am doing something on my device and a toast notification came out , I press that and I go straight to the app but when I come back to the homescreen , I still see "1" or some number on that app.It shows as if there is 1 notification which need to be seen.
    Lot of apps behave this way.and Lastly If an app is not pinned to start , there is no way to know if there is notification for that.

4.Apps and Games : Some would be saying "This client is better than the first party app" , Yes I agree. Some clients are more beautifully designed than original apps and also work well.
    But here are two issues : Clients get new features much later than original apps and second is you must pay for some (example : Official Youtube on iOS and Android are free while Metrotube is Paid)

But I am fine with clients but still there is a need for official apps like Pulse , Flipboard (coming soon) etc. Some are arriving but still there are lot of apps which need to come.

Late Updates : Lot of games/apps get new features much later on WP. I play simple games like cut the rope , subway surfers , ski safari , pudding monsters etc.Cut the rope got updated on iOS for new levels while WP8 version still in old version.Instagram Video feature also came out much later because client's dev needed time to update the app.

Too late arrival : Cut rope time travel still hasn't arrived WP8 yet. Pudding Monsters also haven't arrived on WP yet.

Poorly Optimized Apps : For example , WP8 Asphalt 7 graphics are a joke , Many effects are missing. It looks like "high graphics" instead of being "Ultra Graphics" (Not a fan of these kinds of games but couldn't stop noticing it)

5.Store Updates are not at all notified , Even with medium size "store tile" on homescreen . Store tile gets updated in batches (for example , it suddenly shows 14 app updates , while no updates are shown 1 hour ago)

6.Network Bug : I switch from 2G to 3G and network won't switch at all and remains on "E" . Sometimes when I switch to 3G , it immediately shows "H+" while some other times it doesn't......
    To solve this , I have to reboot the device.

7."Chat App" Bugs : On 3G , Occasionally I don't receive any updates even when I am inside the app , It says "connecting" but never connects.While on Wifi , connection is instantly connected.

8.FM Radio : OK , Coming in GDR2

9.No Equalizer on Bluetooth Streaming : WTF MS/Nokia ? Why can't I use Equalizer on Bluetooth streaming , Only possible via earphones.

10.Lock Orientation

11.--Terrible Music Player : Can't display Lyrics , Sometimes Music Duplicates , No Scrubbing and Unified Media Controls w/ Ring Volume...
    ---Terrible Video Player : Can't choose between Multiple Audio Streams in a Video , Doesn't display Subtitles (Tried purchased iTunes movies from my library and even pirated ones etc.) and terrible thing is "Capacitive Keys" glow in full brightness when Video is playing during night/dark places while in Day-time capacitive keys are turned off when playing video (this is probably the most "basic" thing of all)....
    --Photos App : No Slideshow option , Photos stored in very Low resolution.

12.Cannot attach Multiple docs on a Mail. Cannot forward the Mail w/ attachements until all attachments are fully downloaded. All Received Mails never download pictures or anything.I must go into Mail and then "download full content" to view "Entire Mail".

I waited till now because I was under the impression that "next update" (which turned out to be GDR2) will solve most of the issues but it didn't , it turned out to be a small update.

I will not say that other platforms are perfect or better but Android/iOS platforms got most of the "basics" rightly implemented while WP concept/design is superb but implementation is terrible.
    This is probably the first time I am going to sell a device within 6 months of usage.I used many devices for a minimum time of 4-5 years actively and some of them are working nice even now.

Thanks for all being so supportive here.

If there are any suggestions , Please do give them.

I am thinking of getting HTC One or Galaxy S4 from my current Lumia 820
    FinancialP likes this.
    07-28-2013 11:09 AM
    I'm currently on Windows Mobile and have been waiting for Windows Phone to get its act together. It was sad to see so many features lost when they came out with WP7, and it's been almost 3 years now and still the features most important to me are still missing:
    - User file system (almost impossible to deal with local files on WP8)
    - Professional email client (can't choose font, no SMS sync, no tasks tile, folder view secondary, Comparison of Exchange ActiveSync clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

The lack of standard modern features like orientation lock and notification center is also a problem.

I admire some of the technology behind WP:
    - .NET languages and C++, much better than other platforms
    - slick, easy to manage user interface

But WP still does not have the basic OS features in place and these are the most important.

So I'm going to Android+Touchdown, and it's somewhat amazing Microsoft couldn't keep me as a customer as my main uses of a phone are to interact with MS services (Exchange, Office, Skype).

I'll check back when WP9 comes out, but I think Microsoft will never make phones suitable for professional/prosumer use unless they get other people on the job: the Windows division, the Office division. Currently it's a good OS for casual users and technophobes.
    07-31-2013 05:04 AM
    I don't blame you. I love the OS and have no thoughts of moving at all, but MS needs to press their foot on the pedal.
    They wonder why they're not making any ground; here's a tip: Standing absolutely still, sitting idle and immobile will not gain you any distance MS.

Step your game up and actually start participating in this race. Instead of *minor* updates releasing 6 months apart that add very basic features, start rolling them out quicker. People will tire of stagnation and inaction.
    Kevin Rush, CSMR250 and dgr_874 like this.
    07-31-2013 05:11 AM
    i'm right behind you, i'll wait until the end of the year to see their move, then if the keep the same like this, i'll jump
    07-31-2013 05:18 AM
    ^ Me too! Cant even personalize calling tunes for different people. Or a media player with MKV and CC support.
    jleebiker and ianberg like this.
    07-31-2013 08:03 AM
    ^ Me too! Cant even personalize calling tunes for different people.
    Is this some kind of sarcasm?
    07-31-2013 08:18 AM
    Curious as to why you bothered creating an account just for this one rant. I'm actually calling BS here.

Take your one post and be gone troll!
    07-31-2013 08:19 AM
    don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    WavingReds and In Limbo like this.
    07-31-2013 08:21 AM
    I am switching to Android from WP8

Lot of basic features are missing and apps as well.Yes apps are coming but not at the pace I expected them to come when I first bought the device.

Main reason to switch is not because of features or apps but due to lots of bugs and malfunctions.

This is the first I am selling a device within six months of usage.Almost every other device I bought , I used them for minimum of 4 years and some are still working perfect.
    FinancialP likes this.
    07-31-2013 08:23 AM
    I am switching from WP8 to a Jitterbug because WP doesn't have the super gigantic text feature.
    07-31-2013 08:30 AM
    - searching for an address on desktop bing map and waiting for my phone to synchronize(it won't).
    - waiting for mobile ie to synchronize my bookmarks from the desktop ie (it won't).
    - setting wp lockscreen to facebook lockscreen and waiting for it to display anything else than an 'f' lost in a middle of a blue wallpaper.
    - setting a notification on the lockscreen that actually displays something useful
    - setting an alarm and having not the next alarm displayed if you choose to pin the small tile
    - having half-baked applications comparing to other os
    - trying to sync my podcasts properly
    - having some picture editing application that do not appear on the application list when I click 'modify' on the photo application
    - etc.

But I've choosen wp8 nevertheless. Go figure.
    07-31-2013 08:38 AM
    A M F until we meet again.
    07-31-2013 09:21 AM
    No no no... you're doing it all wrong, that is not a proper hate against WP8...

You need to get the proper flow and the right tones, here's a guide:

1) Complain about lack of updates
    2) Complain about lack of features
    3) Complain about lack of apps
    4) Complain about MS being too slow
    5) State doom of WP as MS is being too slow
    6) State why other OS platforms are better than WP
    7) State why you're moving there
    8) Be sure to say that you like WP but it just doesn't 'do it for you'
    9) Promise to come back to WP if MS gets its act together
    10) Deride other people in coming posts and explain your position again
    11) Leave WPC
    07-31-2013 09:59 AM
    - searching for an address on desktop bing map and waiting for my phone to synchronize(it won't).
    - waiting for mobile ie to synchronize my bookmarks from the desktop ie (it won't).
    - setting wp lockscreen to facebook lockscreen and waiting for it to display anything else than an 'f' lost in a middle of a blue wallpaper.
    - setting a notification on the lockscreen that actually displays something useful
    - setting an alarm and having not the next alarm displayed if you choose to pin the small tile
    - having half-baked applications comparing to other os
    - trying to sync my podcasts properly
    - having some picture editing application that do not appear on the application list when I click 'modify' on the photo application
    - etc.

But I've choosen wp8 nevertheless. Go figure.
    I'll bite...

- I'm assuming you're referring to Google's "creep-your-life" feature where you can search for an address on Google Maps/Search, and then go into your Android phone and Google Now, and the address you searched is waiting for you to click on it? I joke about "creep-your-life" but this was pretty neat. However, after the novelty of it wore off, I didn't miss it. I think Nokia Maps/Here+ actually do a great job. I have no problem speaking my address...even if I searched it on Bing. Also, this is pretty exclusive to Google. Not even iPhone users have this benefit.
    - mobile/desktop bookmark syncing...again, this is pretty exclusive to Google and Chrome. You *might* be able to do this via 3rd party app on iOS. But again, I have no problem searching the address and storing it as a bookmark. Not a deal breaker for me.
    - Facebook lockscreen. People use this? When I had a Galaxy Nexus (yes, I gave up a Nexus for my L928) I tried the Facebook Phone Rom. It was cool for about 4 hours. But I found getting notifications for calendar events, missed calls, missed messages, and weather was far more important than which one of my friends just ate chocolate covered calamari and got sick over it.
    - notifications on lockscreen. How can you not find this useful? I use Amazing Weather HD and my lockscreen has the Bing image of the day (which are awesome), the current weather and forecast, time, day of the week, day of the month, next calendar event, missed calls, and missed messages. What's not useful about any of that?
    - alarm issue... third party app? But again, is this *really* a deal breaker?
    - while I can't argue the fact that WP8 market is lacking and that some of the devs just should not be making apps because of how horrible they are...I do have to say that at least *someone* is making something. Also, I don't code, so I can't really complain. Also, some of the devs make apps better than the original! There are some apps I miss, but at the end of the day, am I really bummed that I can't post a 6-second video? And really...how many of you have started using Vine and use it *religiously* everyday? I used Vine all of maybe 2 or 3 days until the novelty wore off. What I'm finding is that I wonder how many people *need* a certain app versus how many people *want* a certain app just because others have it. I really think a lot of the apps issues come down to the fact that we complain because others OS's have it and we don't - even though we would never really use it. I can't number how many apps I downloaded because I thought it was cool - only to uninstall later because I found myself saying, "when was the last time I used this? Do I really need it?"
    - you got me on the podcasts.
    - photo editing apps not showing up from within the native photo app... This is the apps fault. Android and iOS suffer from this too. That part of their code is missing. The dev should implement that. That's not MS's fault.
    - etc. Yes, God, yes are their lots of "etc" points. But I'll leave you with this: when I decided to leave my beloved Galaxy Nexus for my L928, I researched *EVERYTHING*. I read forums, articles, watched videos, and went into the store to play with it. I even perused the WP Market to see what was there/missing. What I value most in my smartphone are these: phone calls, sms/mms, picture taking (c'mon how many of you actually carry a smartphone AND a point-and-shoot?), Outlook work email, Google mail, calendar, Skype, navigation, and a good task list app. And honestly, I found all of that. I don't have any problems with phone calls. I actually like this messaging app (aesthetics and use) over the Android and iPhone apps (I've owned both). Picture taking is awesome (I still amaze everyone with the low-light photos and I'm loving this Refocus app). Outlook is seamless. So is Google mail and calendar. I have Skype. Here+ and CityMaps are great apps - and even recently, so is MapQuest. And for my task list, I'm loving TinyDo. Everything else is a benefit.

What I *would* like is better playlist workability, banking apps (I use BB&T), the WP Market to have a wishlist feature (I'm using App-2-Date to tackle this right now), and dammit, I wish you could attach files from WITHIN the email app when you reply.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt compelled to stick up for WP - even though you still said you chose to stick with it. But I feel WP8 is getting a bad rap...and mainly because a lot of people don't do their homework before they buy or because they have app-envy (even though half would never use the app once they had it).

Just my two cents.

Oh, and to the original poster: the grass isn't *always* greener on the other side. Well, sometimes it is, but you never know, you could have grubs and moles in your nice green grass and not even know it. Good luck.
    07-31-2013 10:20 AM
    ^ Me too! Cant even personalize calling tunes for different people.
    You are joking, aren't you? Or maybe, you haven't looked into the personal settings in your address book?
    broar94 likes this.
    07-31-2013 10:32 AM
5,457 ... 1314151617 ...