02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 148149150151152 ...
tools
    I see a lot of complaints about setup and compatibility here. I can say I had none of these issues with the Pixel. Everything was straight forward to setup and go. I really just wish google assistant wasn't so painfully bad.
    It depends how you set it up. It sounds like you set up your contacts to be read only. From what I hear, the foolproof way is to export contacts from Outlook and import into Google.

It is really phone dependent though, my own experience is a testimony (lol), and I think that sucks. The Google phones weren't so bad.
    01-14-2017 07:55 PM
    The biggest problem for Android since day 1 - fragmentation. I can honestly say the only 2 Androids I've ever had which gave me 0 fits with contact setup were my G5 and Priv. The G5 required only 1 step to clean up dupes and that was in settings. The Priv - perfect.

I've had Notes 1-4, S series, a smattering of Blu throwaways, HTCs and all kinds of LGs. The worst were definitely the TouchWiz Samsungs. Let's not even talk about duplicate calendar events.
    This perfectly concludes what I mentioned: "I will say Android is kind of difficult to compare account/contact sync services as diffrent OEMs have unique/different sync features from others. etc (Samsung Galaxy S7 marshmallow vs Sony Xperia X marshmallow)." C:
    libra89 likes this.
    01-15-2017 12:14 AM
    It depends how you set it up. It sounds like you set up your contacts to be read only. From what I hear, the foolproof way is to export contacts from Outlook and import into Google.

It is really phone dependent though, my own experience is a testimony (lol), and I think that sucks. The Google phones weren't so bad.
    This is what I ended up doing to get my Windows Phone Contacts to my Sony Xperia X. It's a little bit technical. I doubt the average joe would want to put all that effort.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    01-15-2017 12:16 AM
    Overall I'm still curious how Microsoft will do with the Surface Phone. Although it will have x86 support I assume the phone will utilize the Universal Apps. I can see it having a lot potential being able to run basically a full fledged version of Windows 10. My main interests for the Surface Phone include:
    -UI Design and Integration. Especially with upcoming Neon UI
    -Marketing for more App support
    -Hardware and Cost
    -Will it be targeting Enterprise or Consumer?

With x86 Support, I don't see this as a primary selling point for consumers, when you can simply use Apps on other Mobile Operating Systems. I think it will boost the use case for the Continuum.

I think Microsoft always has good ideas in Mobile hardware and software, but either fails to market the device, or enters the device to late into the market.

Remember Zune? I remember the Zune when it first came out. I had the Zune 4GB, and still have the Zune HD. It was way ahead of Apples iPhone with Wireless Sync, HD FM Radio integration, OLED screens, and more. But I think we can conclude if you cannot market your products features properly or at the right time most no one will be convinced unfortunately.

It's like what I always say: Even if you were the most knowledgeable person in the world, if you cannot explain to anyone that you are knowledgeable, they won't think you are knowledgeable.

But any-who we will see. I'm excited to see what Microsoft will bring to the table C:
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    01-15-2017 12:30 AM
    This is what I ended up doing to get my Windows Phone Contacts to my Sony Xperia X. It's a little bit technical. I doubt the average joe would want to put all that effort.
    It's so weird that you mentioned that you did that for that particular phone because a part of me wants to consider doing that for the smaller version of it, even though I have never done that before.

Sounds silly but I'm seriously considering that as a possibility, but no moves until the month ends.
    Guytronic and Techno04335 like this.
    01-15-2017 01:36 AM
    Groove Music (use as my music player from expandable microSD)!
    Does Groove on Android recognize music on the SD card? I know there's not a setting to tell it where to download music so it'll default to phone (unless I missed that setting), but does it see music on the SD card if you have it there?
    01-16-2017 02:38 AM
    Does Groove on Android recognize music on the SD card? I know there's not a setting to tell it where to download music so it'll default to phone (unless I missed that setting), but does it see music on the SD card if you have it there?
    Hello jdballard, I should have mentiond that this can be dependent on if the mobile devices OEM sprinkled Android Phone OS supports app transfer to the SD Card. I have read online that some devices are picky with this feature and even if you port Groove to the SD Card it may not detect the the music content in the storage. I did this on my Xperia X and it works perfectly. If you cannot do that, I recommend using Pulsar Music Player. It is another great music player on Android.
    01-16-2017 08:12 AM
    Samsung Omnia 7 ---> Lumia 920 ---> Lumia 950 (after three years wait). It was a huge mistake to spend hard earned cash on Lumia 950. MS is simply not interested in their own platform. Mr Nadella has killed Windows Mobile/Phone. I am not fan of Apple nor Android but now off to Androif in couple of months. We supported MS but they never.
    01-16-2017 12:37 PM
    I have an Alcatel Idol OneTouch 3 and Groove does not recognize the music on my SD card.
    01-16-2017 12:54 PM
    I have an Alcatel Idol OneTouch 3 and Groove does not recognize the music on my SD card.
    Could be the special case as I mentioned. Try Pulsar. It is very similar.

Samsung Omnia 7 ---> Lumia 920 ---> Lumia 950 (after three years wait). It was a huge mistake to spend hard earned cash on Lumia 950. MS is simply not interested in their own platform. Mr Nadella has killed Windows Mobile/Phone. I am not fan of Apple nor Android but now off to Androif in couple of months. We supported MS but they never.
    I felt that way through my years of experience on Windows Phone. But alas it is a business decision. If only Microsoft had more market share on the mobile platform, then we would be getting great features.. :C
    Last edited by xandros9; 01-31-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: merging two posts
    HeyCori likes this.
    01-16-2017 08:51 PM
    I felt that way through my years of experience on Windows Phone. But alas it is a business decision. If only Microsoft had more market share on the mobile platform, then we would be getting great features.. :C
    Chicken or the egg dude. If there were more apps, the market share would be higher.
    01-16-2017 09:06 PM
    Could be the special case as I mentioned. Try Pulsar. It is very similar.
    I've been using the included JBL app. It's no Groove but it gets the job done.
    01-16-2017 09:25 PM
    I've been using the included JBL app. It's no Groove but it gets the job done.
    I like HibyMusic and Poweramp for my own music from my collection. HibyMusic supports FLAC files using a DAC and USB OTG adapter.
    HeyCori and Guytronic like this.
    01-16-2017 10:07 PM
    Chicken or the egg dude. If there were more apps, the market share would be higher.
    But that brings us back to the first problem. If companies like Snap-chat, Facebook, Instagram, American Airlines, or Amazon, see that there is too low of a market share to update or in some cases even create an app on Windows phone they will not even bother to support it. On the other hand if Microsoft struggles to market their phones and windows phone OS to consumers, It also does not help.

It is a chain reaction. Microsoft has to make their phones competitive/innovate not only in hardware and software reliability (we all know Windows Mobile 10 release was horrible, which did not make a great impression.), but also in being able to market the hardware and innovation properly.
    01-16-2017 10:17 PM
    It's so weird that you mentioned that you did that for that particular phone because a part of me wants to consider doing that for the smaller version of it, even though I have never done that before.

Sounds silly but I'm seriously considering that as a possibility, but no moves until the month ends.
    I take this back, I don't want to do this. I don't think it would be worth it. With iOS being plug and play, I'm not sure if this is worth it.

My reasons for doing this was because of customization and having something "unique" looking. It's not worth the trouble for an inferior camera when it comes to low light performance.

On that note, I used my Honor 8 for a second tonight and I hate the Android-Outlook contact struggle. Not going to do anything nuts, but iOS is looking better right now since aside from Windows 10 Mobile, it's the only one where I don't have to do more work to make my contacts work. Also considering trying a skin on my SE. Decisions, decisions.
    01-16-2017 11:50 PM
    Hello jdballard, I should have mentiond that this can be dependent on if the mobile devices OEM sprinkled Android Phone OS supports app transfer to the SD Card. I have read online that some devices are picky with this feature and even if you port Groove to the SD Card it may not detect the the music content in the storage. I did this on my Xperia X and it works perfectly. If you cannot do that, I recommend using Pulsar Music Player. It is another great music player on Android.
    Unfortunately, on my T-Mobile HTC 10 (with Nougat), I don't see an option to move Groove to the SD card. (It's possible I'm looking in the wrong place, though.)

And using a 3rd party app is OK, but it won't let me play my Groove Music Pass music, which is a big drawback.
    01-17-2017 01:32 PM
    Ordered a dBrand skin but apparently they are so backed up that I might get it at the end of my month.
    Anyone have any experience with them and installing skins? Or any skins in general that is?
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-17-2017 04:55 PM
    I could not the groove on my pixel to recognize music on the phone at all, only OneDrive music.

Sent from mTalk
    01-18-2017 07:25 AM
    Microsoft owns SwiftKey. https://swiftkey.com/en/company/
    Oh, that explains why I liked that keyboard the best when I had the Pixel lol.

Sent from mTalk
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    01-18-2017 07:27 AM
    Although I returned my Pixel phone I'm curious to see what Samsung does this year. Anyone else a bit curious on what the next Galaxy or Note will offer? I would say I'm curious about the Surface Phone but Microsoft hasn't really given me any reason to continue my stay with W10M. At this point I'm just waiting for a more meaningful alternative to my 950.

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    01-18-2017 07:31 AM
    Although I returned my Pixel phone I'm curious to see what Samsung does this year. Anyone else a bit curious on what the next Galaxy or Note will offer? I would say I'm curious about the Surface Phone but Microsoft hasn't really given me any reason to continue my stay with W10M. At this point I'm just waiting for a more meaningful alternative to my 950.

Sent from mTalk
    I am also curious what Samsung has to offer. In fact due to the global battery issue, the Samsung has to increase the build quality of all products like crazy and sell it for a cheaper cost than the iphone and other competitors to keep its customers in the galaxy line up. I think they are going to lose a lot of money from their next line up however it is what has to be done to get customers trust back.

I am excited for the upcoming surface phone, but I don't want to hold my breath. I think this is Microsoft's last chance in the mobile division. If the Surface Phone fails, I honestly think they will completely get rid of their phone division by 2019-2020.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-18-2017 09:29 AM
    I am also curious what Samsung has to offer. In fact due to the global battery issue, the Samsung has to increase the build quality of all products like crazy and sell it for a cheaper cost than the iphone and other competitors to keep its customers in the galaxy line up. I think they are going to lose a lot of money from their next line up however it is what has to be done to get customers trust back.

I am excited for the upcoming surface phone, but I don't want to hold my breath. I think this is Microsoft's last chance in the mobile division. If the Surface Phone fails, I honestly think they will completely get rid of their phone division by 2019-2020.
    I would hope that they at least create an android launcher to continue integration. Cortana is still hands down worlds ahead of Siri and Google Assistant.

Sent from mTalk
    01-18-2017 02:38 PM
    I can't say I miss it because I honestly don't. I stuck by windows phone until my Nokia Lumia 925 died last year. I saw a lot of potential with windows phone and I really like how smooth the OS is but the lack of apps killed it for me. Its a shame because I still want to see windows phone succeed but it will never succeed without the support from developers.
    With that said I am an iPhone user now and I enjoy every minute of it. I admit I hated apple at first but I adjusted real good to the OS and I can definitely see why ppl like it. It pains me to say this but I don't think I can go back to windows phone. I am not going to lie I still read these boards because a part of me wants to see windows on top but I also learned to accept reality that it will never happen. Years ago I was like many on this boards lying to myself that windows phone is just as good as Android and Apple when in reality it isnt.
    Carlos Cl likes this.
    01-18-2017 07:34 PM
    I can't say I miss it because I honestly don't. I stuck by windows phone until my Nokia Lumia 925 died last year. I saw a lot of potential with windows phone and I really like how smooth the OS is but the lack of apps killed it for me. Its a shame because I still want to see windows phone succeed but it will never succeed without the support from developers.
    With that said I am an iPhone user now and I enjoy every minute of it. I admit I hated apple at first but I adjusted real good to the OS and I can definitely see why ppl like it. It pains me to say this but I don't think I can go back to windows phone. I am not going to lie I still read these boards because a part of me wants to see windows on top but I also learned to accept reality that it will never happen. Years ago I was like many on this boards lying to myself that windows phone is just as good as Android and Apple when in reality it isnt.
    No one is lying to themselves. I know perfectly well what Windows offers and prefer it. We all have different needs.
    Enjoy your iPhone.

Sent from mTalk
    01-18-2017 08:03 PM
    Years ago I was like many on this boards lying to myself that windows phone is just as good as Android and Apple when in reality it isnt.
    Those of us who persist with Windows know full well what it offers. No OS is significantly better than the next because each has a particular strength the others don't. I know apps matter, but even with the ever growing number of apps disappearing right before our eyes there are some features that some of us simply won't give up. For most, it's the Live Tiles. No one else has this and even the plethora of launchers available on Android can't replicate them. For me, the email client is simply head and shoulders above any other and it's what I use most. Outlook is available on iOS and Android but it's not truly the same. Some say that Microsoft apps function better on the competition but I disagree and we'll just leave it at that. Continuum is the lone feature that sets WM10 apart all the others but it's not available on every device.

No, we're not lying to ourselves. We know the limitations and we begrudgingly accept them. Not because we have false hopes of a future savior-type development but because we're OK with what we're getting today. Rarely do people hold on to phones beyond 1-2 years anymore since the subsidy-based business model has been relegated to the ages. If something better comes, great. If not, just the same. We didn't have these fantastic phones just a few years ago so it's not like we're lost without them. Well, maybe the younger crowd but that's for another discussion.
    01-18-2017 08:56 PM
5,457 ... 148149150151152 ...