04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 160161162163164 ...
tools
    Because not everyone needs the same things. If you want a pickup truck (which sell like hotcakes in the U.S.) because you need to carry around tools, you're not going to a BMW dealer. Yet BMW is doing OK.
    The mobile market is not finished, as if it will never change. The "current" consumer market is set, but it won't last forever. To try to break into it now is suicide and irresponsible to shareholders. Design the next market. Create something fresh.
    The current fans of Windows mobile will not determine where it goes because many of them want an app centric device like all the others. Innovation will drive where it goes which means some fans will leave, or already have, and new ones will join. In the mean time we have choices available to us so I don't quite understand the issue.

FYI: I enjoy talking about this and don't think I'm right or wrong, this is just my opinion. We all look at things differently and that's what makes talking about it fun.
    I agree 110% with this post. But it does not address Microsoft competing or not competing with Apple and Google in mobile. No matter what Microsoft comes up with; WP, WM, WoA, if it is a compact pocketable device with LTE, it is trying to compete with iPhone and Android. Even if it is a new paradigm, it is trying to compete. If it is meant to use instead of iPhone and Android, it is trying to compete.

Microsoft is definitely trying to compete, but the thought is that they are not trying to go in and do the same thing. They are instead trying to create a new field that will displace the current paradigm. However, I'm not sure how much I buy that theory either. Either way, I think they have taken their foot off the proverbial accelerator and are coasting to a stop, with the deceleration maybe dragged out a bit in the wake of development on W10 desktop's overlap with W10M.

A non competing device would be something like the Surface tablet, where the use does not overlap, or very little at least. Nobody buys a Surface instead of an iPhone. A Surface is used along side a smartphone.

My FYI would mirror yours exactly.
    03-17-2017 04:01 PM
    I agree 110% with this post. But it does not address Microsoft competing or not competing with Apple and Google in mobile. No matter what Microsoft comes up with; WP, WM, WoA, if it is a compact pocketable device with LTE, it is trying to compete with iPhone and Android. Even if it is a new paradigm, it is trying to compete. If it is meant to use instead of iPhone and Android, it is trying to compete.

Microsoft is definitely trying to compete, but the thought is that they are not trying to go in and do the same thing. They are instead trying to create a new field that will displace the current paradigm. However, I'm not sure how much I buy that theory either. Either way, I think they have taken their foot off the proverbial accelerator and are coasting to a stop, with the deceleration maybe dragged out a bit in the wake of development on W10 desktop's overlap with W10M.

A non competing device would be something like the Surface tablet, where the use does not overlap, or very little at least. Nobody buys a Surface instead of an iPhone. A Surface is used along side a smartphone.

My FYI would mirror yours exactly.
    You're right, I may have been too simplistic in my description mostly because I'm not an expert but more of a hobbyist. It certainly is not 0% competition, but its not 100% either. There are areas of mutuality and some very different. I'm glad you brought up the Surface tablet because I believe that is the very path they are trying to take. Its success shows people are looking for different ways to communicate, work, and play. A similar pocketable device could bring a change to that particular market. I feel like while Androids and iPhone bring their own experience, it is only partially what we will expect in the future. If MS can lead that charge, people will follow even if only a small percentage.

BTW: Success is very subjective. I don't feel they have to match the others, as long as they find success in what they produce and enough people follow to create the revenue for it to continue.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    03-17-2017 04:26 PM
    Well I'm now 6 months into my switch to android. I miss my windows phone I really do, but having access to the apps is no longer a "nice to have" for getting along in life, it's a must. My windows phone is now the house music phone with Spotify installed and I'm happy with the experience there, just albums pinned to the start, looks kinda kool! Anyway, Microsoft need to resurrect android apps on windows and fast. The experience will be compromised I'm sure.... but not half as compromised as it is without the apps.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and slivy58 like this.
    03-18-2017 04:07 AM
    Just took some late evening outdoor pics with my 950XL and my iPhone 6S+. The quality of the 950XL is SO much better in low light, just way less noise. On the iPhone the beautiful dark blue night sky looks like a grainy mess. But: just when I needed to shoot something quickly, of course the camera button didn't launch the camera app (fast ring). And afterward I was not able to see the 950XL via USB, despite numerous phone and laptop restarts, and trying all different cable / port combinations. The iPhone makes the DCIM folder visible in about one second. Much better experience, aside from the crappy camera that is.
    03-18-2017 08:37 PM
    Well I'm now 6 months into my switch to android. I miss my windows phone I really do, but having access to the apps is no longer a "nice to have" for getting along in life, it's a must. My windows phone is now the house music phone with Spotify installed and I'm happy with the experience there, just albums pinned to the start, looks kinda kool! Anyway, Microsoft need to resurrect android apps on windows and fast. The experience will be compromised I'm sure.... but not half as compromised as it is without the apps.
    I agree it's starting to become "a must", especially when you try the alternative such as through a web browser only to be greeted with "Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!". This happened with both my WD Cloud Drive and D-Link Wireless Cams. The "smart" in smartphone is slowly being sucked out of WM and that's the truth.
    Player Piano likes this.
    03-18-2017 11:09 PM
    I agree. They made a huge mistake in trying to not compete with the IOS and Android and I think in the long run it will be the beginning of the end of MS as we know it. They simply had to be and stay a presence in mobile.

As far as why do we need another app centric device. For sales, period. There are millions of potential customers and every 1 of them has their 1 app they can't or simply aren't willing to do without. The problem is it's a different app for all of them. My father is the perfect example. He absolutely loves Windows Phone, loves the UI, loves pinning sites to the start page, loves everything about it. But there is 1 Comcast app he refuses to do without. So he has a Lumia 640 that I bought him that he plays with at the house, but uses a 7 year old iPhone for his daily driver. He wanted a Lumia 950 but he can't get the app he wants. No app, no purchase.

You have to be competing in the mobile space and you need to have apps if you want anyone to buy your phones. MS can't count on the PC market going forward, mobile is where it's at and MS is the only one who isn't there. Was a huge mistake and will lead to them eventually not being able to stay in the consumer side and become enterprise and cloud only at some point.
    slivy58, aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-18-2017 11:15 PM
    Lots of good opinions. Everyone has to do what is best for them.

libra89, aximtreo and slivy58 like this.
    03-19-2017 07:36 AM
    To follow up on my previous comment four posts up, below are two cropped views from my 950XL and my iPhone 6S plus. Both pictures taken with the first-party / built in camera app, no post processing. I mean I like having iOS apps, but ...

lumia950xl_vs_iphone6splus.jpg
    03-19-2017 09:34 AM
    I'm not sure where W10M is headed, especially with the 'enterprise device' mantra. The emphasis seems to be making what's there work as opposed to adding anything new. Just curious, besides live tiles and Continuum what would I really be giving up if I left?
    03-19-2017 11:25 AM
    I'm not sure where W10M is headed, especially with the 'enterprise device' mantra. The emphasis seems to be making what's there work as opposed to adding anything new. Just curious, besides live tiles and Continuum what would I really be giving up if I left?
    Only you can answer that as we all use our devices differently.
    To me its the overall experience that has me here. For you it may be different.

libra89, mark233 and slivy58 like this.
    03-19-2017 11:31 AM
    Let me rephrase, besides the start screen with the live tiles and Continuum what is unique to W10M that would no longer be available to me?
    03-19-2017 11:36 AM
    Let me rephrase, besides the start screen with the live tiles and Continuum what is unique to W10M that would no longer be available to me?
    To me its the UI and how it matches my laptop and SP4 so that everything works similarly, syncs together, and provides me with a fluid experience. Since I use MS programs like Word, OneNote, etc. I don't have to worry about compatibility. I prefer Cortana. I like Groove and how it syncs my music from OneDrive. These are a few things that make the experience pleasurable.

Again, you may be different so I can't answer for you. Best thing to do is try something different if you're inquisitive and see for yourself.

03-19-2017 11:43 AM
    To me its the UI and how it matches my laptop and SP4 so that everything works similarly, syncs together, and provides me with a fluid experience. Since I use MS programs like Word, OneNote, etc. I don't have to worry about compatibility. I prefer Cortana. I like Groove and how it syncs my music from OneDrive. These are a few things that make the experience pleasurable.

Again, you may be different so I can't answer for you. Best thing to do is try something different if you're inquisitive and see for yourself.

This!
    mark233 and slivy58 like this.
    03-19-2017 11:51 AM
    I don't know how much you rely on emails but Outlook on W10M opens attachments sent as part of an email that was sent as an attachment. Only Outlook on PC does that. Even when using OWA you have to disable pop-up blocker for it to work.

It's not just Live Tiles and Continuum.
    03-19-2017 12:52 PM
    Your soul.

Seriously, as much as I love th UI on Windows Phone, I am so disgusted with MS that I would have left by now if it weren't for Apple and Google. I won't be caught dead using an Apple product for many reasons and I refuse to use any product made by a company that is essentially another branch of GOVT that thinks my life belongs to them. So there goes my 2 options. If I were forced, I would go Android and disable everything Google. But I just can't do it...yet.
    03-19-2017 01:01 PM
    Your soul.

Seriously, as much as I love th UI on Windows Phone, I am so disgusted with MS that I would have left by now if it weren't for Apple and Google. I won't be caught dead using an Apple product for many reasons and I refuse to use any product made by a company that is essentially another branch of GOVT that thinks my life belongs to them. So there goes my 2 options. If I were forced, I would go Android and disable everything Google. But I just can't do it...yet.
    Technically you could but would involve hackery of the highest magnitude. You could sideload whatever apk you needed but if any of those apps require Google Play services then you're stuck. I have a BlackBerry Passport and I use Android apps that have been "patched" to remove GP services. I don't know if this exists for straight Androids but member Cobalt on Crackberry is revered for his tireless work getting GP services and even the Play Store on OS10 devices. The trick is to follow the steps set forth by the creator and not think you're smarter than him/her and try to take shortcuts or omit steps. That is a recipe for disaster and a free trip to Hard Reset-ville.
    03-19-2017 02:01 PM
    Your soul.

Not a fan of google either. However, I do have an android phone, but it's made by Xiaomi and it's the Chinese edition (ordered online, I don't live in china) which has all google services stripped out (that's why I picked the Chinese edition). I have a hosts file which blocks all ads, and I can still install any app I want in the google play store. It was a piece of cake -- basically I just installed one app, which allows access to the play store without the use of any hackery whatsoever.

I've been thinking of returning to windows via Alcatel Idol 4s though, but all these talks of bugs and problems with Edge have me so far taking a wait and see approach.
    03-19-2017 02:16 PM
    Your soul.

Perhaps wait for the upcoming Sony phones running Jolla. I know that got my attention.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-19-2017 04:43 PM
    I have a Passport as well and I am familiar with Cobalt though I haven't done any of that yet. Other than my pure hatred for Apple and Google, the main issue holding me back is that I like the benefit of being all in on 1 ecosystem. That's why as much as I love the Passport, and I do love it, I was never able to get myself to switch over to it. I should look into the Cobalt solution though. I don't know, I just feel like if I'm going to go elsewhere on the phone side of things, I'd want to go all the way and not just use a different phone. Really wish there was another OS out there.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    03-19-2017 05:57 PM
    Huh, just learned that iPhones don't support the high quality aptx Bluetooth audio protocol. I think I enjoyed my brand new aptx compatible Bluetooth receiver with my 950XL for about a month before switching to the iPhone. d'Oh!!!!
    03-19-2017 08:40 PM
    Idol 4s in my experience using it was really good. Edge was great as well, no issue other than platform issues that affect all W10M users.
    03-19-2017 10:52 PM
    Idol 4s in my experience using it was really good. Edge was great as well, no issue other than platform issues that affect all W10M users.
    I've heard that edge is really slow, drains the batteries, takes forever when using the back function, et cetera. The complaints reminds me of how edge was back on windows 8. I don't have experience with windows 10 mobile though. I also keep on reading about how people with 950 phones complaining about bugs and such and slow performance.

Are you saying the Idol 4s works just fine with edge and you don't have any of those problems? How's monument browser (I hear that has adblock)?

A question: I hear performance with windows 10 mobile is better with a fast processor. However, back in the Windows Phone 7/8 days, they were known as phones that could run extremely fast even with low end processors. What happened?
    03-20-2017 01:31 AM
    I've heard that edge is really slow, drains the batteries, takes forever when using the back function, et cetera. The complaints reminds me of how edge was back on windows 8. I don't have experience with windows 10 mobile though. I also keep on reading about how people with 950 phones complaining about bugs and such and slow performance.

Are you saying the Idol 4s works just fine with edge and you don't have any of those problems? How's monument browser (I hear that has adblock)?

A question: I hear performance with windows 10 mobile is better with a fast processor. However, back in the Windows Phone 7/8 days, they were known as phones that could run extremely fast even with low end processors. What happened?
    I have an Idol and I don’t have any performance issues with Edge other than rendering. Edge was never available on WP 8.1 so you must be thinking about Internet Explorer 11. Windows 10 Mobile indeed runs better on devices with ample RAM. Monument Browser isn't any better than Edge for rendering pages but it does have a built-in AdBlock and works with Continuum.
    TgeekB, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-20-2017 01:42 PM
    I have an Idol and I don’t have any performance issues with Edge other than rendering. Edge was never available on WP 8.1 so you must be thinking about Internet Explorer 11. Windows 10 Mobile indeed runs better on devices with ample RAM. Monument Browser isn't any better than Edge for rendering pages but it does have a built-in AdBlock and works with Continuum.
    Agree. No issues here with my Idol4s.

03-20-2017 03:41 PM
    Thanks for the info. Regarding Edge: I didn't mean WP 8.1 though -- I meant Windows 8 (PC). On Edge (win 8 pc), no matter the computer, every time I would hit "back" on the browser it would take forever to load the page.
    03-20-2017 06:01 PM
5,481 ... 160161162163164 ...