Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I think my time has come. After being with Windows from the beginning (and coming from WebOS), I am about to move to Android. I am currently on Verizon UDP, and the UDP trumps most other features for me and there is no reasonable upgrade path. I am on a Icon now, but I have intermittent GPS issues (it stops and starts navigating), and a relatively slow camera shutter; both critical features for me. I love W10M, have been an advocate, and wish there was an alternative. While I have missed certain apps, I usually find workarounds for the critical ones (ZONOS, PHONOS, HUETRO).

Hopefully I will be back someday, but for now Samsung S7 is my next stop (because it has wireless charging!).

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My experience with the 6S+ was short-lived. Camera is a major thing. Thought about the LG, but my friend who has the LG G5 says that while the camera is spectacular, the rest of the phone feels like it has aged 5 years - he's only had it for one year. That didn't sound good, but the camera is a serious item. We took the Staten Is ferry a week ago Friday. Water flat, but serious vibration from the engine. Went at dusk and shot South Manhattan. His shots were crystal clear - mine looked ok, but enlarged to 100% had some motion blur which was absent from his photos. So dug out the credit card and $1,000 later have the iPhone 7+ with 256GB and extended AppleCare.
Gotta say, the difference in the camera shoot low light is night and day better compared to the 6S+.

Why am I posting this here? Because I think that while iPhone has been closing the gap to PureView, I think they finally did it with the 7Plus version camera! I am getting phenomenal shots now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Really considering selling my 640. Not because I want to be done with Windows 10 Mobile but because it's been a hassle on Windows 10 Mobile, and for me, there's no point of owning 2 phones from any OS. One of each is plenty (again, I'm, speaking for myself and my lifestyle). I know someone will probably come out of the cracks and call me crazy for selling the 640 to keep the 550, but that's just how I feel. I know it's not worth much but still.

For now, the 550 has been nice even though I only used it as a phone for one day out of the week I have owned it. Sometimes, I question if I would want to switch from my Honor to it but I don't know (that goes for any Windows 10 Mobile phone in general).

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Really considering selling my 640. Not because I want to be done with Windows 10 Mobile but because it's been a hassle on Windows 10 Mobile, and for me, there's no point of owning 2 phones from any OS. One of each is plenty (again, I'm, speaking for myself and my lifestyle). I know someone will probably come out of the cracks and call me crazy for selling the 640 to keep the 550, but that's just how I feel. I know it's not worth much but still.

For now, the 550 has been nice even though I only used it as a phone for one day out of the week I have owned it. Sometimes, I question if I would want to switch from my Honor to it but I don't know (that goes for any Windows 10 Mobile phone in general).

What problems have you faced on W10 on the 640?

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes the best phone for you is not the most powerful or fully featured, it's the one you feel most comfortable with :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What problems have you faced on W10 on the 640?
It seems like every time I install an update, it works but something breaks. My issues have been random but one of those issues is that the lock screen clock disappears often. I can't recall other issues at the moment, but it also felt kind of laggy at times. I felt like I had to hard reset each time after having issues, and no, I never restore, I always start fresh. How many hard resets does it take to not have issues?

I have had a 950 and now this 550. After trying both, I feel like there's a difference with native Windows 10 Mobile phones.

Sometimes the best phone for you is not the most powerful or fully featured, it's the one you feel most comfortable with :)
Well said, I agree with you. My favorite thing about the 550 is the size. The camera is good for the daytime. If I need nice quality low light pictures, I have my iPhone SE and my Honor 8 for that.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, let me take the honors of being the weird one coming out of the cracks then Libra. :p But really, at the price for how much it will sell. Does it make sense to even sell it? I was half tempted to tell you to send it over to me to safe keep it for you until the regret settles in proper and you want it back. And then I just mail it back to you with a little note that says I told you so girl. :p :D ^_^

But then, sadly, I just started counting the number of windows phones I've accrued over the past year for myself or immediate members. And that count came in at 10 or 11. All devices counting. Depending on how you count that figure. And I started doubting the health and sanity of my mind. So I'm not sure my suggestion holds much weight any longer. Sadly. *sniffs* :'( *Crying in a corner* :'( :'( :'(

So yes, my suggestion stands, though I'm not so sure of the mental health of it anymore now Libra. :p But I would legitimately be interest in seeing user images/pictures/photos of all three phones put together. The 550/Honor 8/SE, and even the 640 with it. Since I've never seen anyone using two of those three devices in person. :) ^_^ Makes a huge difference in understanding the relative size and screen comparisons, and the ergonomics of each device. ^~^ :3

And for a serious suggestion, I would recommend using the 550 for a little more/longer, before you decide on which device you would like to let go of. :) A little more investment in time now will help save in a little regret later. :) (^_^)

Edit: And strangely, on that note. Both my active use WM10 devices have only seen one hard reset each. At the update to the initial 10586 builds. I've only ever done those. And my devices have both managed to fetch along just swimmingly fine. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant. Or have been luckier. I'm really not sure at this point anymore Libra. :/

-- W

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, let me take the honors of being the weird one coming out of the cracks then Libra. :p But really, at the price for how much it will sell. Does it make sense to even sell it? I was half tempted to tell you to send it over to me to safe keep it for you until the regret settles in proper and you want it back. And then I just mail it back to you with a little not that says I told you so girl. :p :D ^_^

But then, sadly, I just started counting the number of windows phones I've accrued over the past year for myself or immediate members. And that count came in at 10 or 11. All devices counting. Depending on how you count that figure. And I started doubting the health and sanity of my mind. So I'm not sure my suggestion holds much weight any longer. Sadly. *sniffs* :'( *Crying in a corner* :'( :'( :'(

So yes, my suggestion stands, though I'm not so sure of the mental health of it anymore now Libra. :p But I would legitimately be interest in seeing user images/pictures/photos of all three phones put together. The 550/Honor 8/SE, and even the 640 with it. Since I've never seen anyone using two of those three devices in person. :) ^_^ Makes a hug difference in understanding the relative size and screen comparisons, and the ergonomics of each device. ^~^ :3

And for a serious suggestion, I would recommend using the 550 for a little more/longer, before you decide on which device you would like to let go of. :) A little more investment in time now will help save in a little regret later. :) (^_^)

Edit: And strangely, on that note. Both my active use WM10 devices have only seen one hard reset each. At the update to the initial 10586 builds. I've only ever done those. And my devices have both managed to fetch along just swimmingly fine. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant. Or have been luckier. I'm really not sure at this point anymore Libra. :/

-- W

You have a good point about selling it. That is what sucks. Haha @ your suggestion.

Whoa, that's a lot. Not sure what I would do with myself having that many lol, but it sounds like it works for you....generally.

Interesting that you mention that. I have thought of doing something like that with the Honor 8, iPhone SE and Lumia 550 together. I have put them together side by side once and the size differences look less crazy. Imo, the 550 is the perfect middle ground between those two.

Yeah, you're right, that is a great suggestion, thanks. To be fair though, I have had the 550 before (like before my Android/iPhone journey started) and I really liked it. My only personal downfall was low light video and pictures. They are bad. So bad. Otherwise, I remember liking it a lot. In the week I have had it, the same stands. I have turned it on every day since, which isn't the case for my iPhone, which I turn on to get free apps of the day.

On that note, having the 550 has actually made me lust less for the iPhone just for the size of it. My true lust with that was all down to the size, and now that I have another phone that size, it isn't doing it for me as much.

You are a lucky one. The 640 has only been annoying and somewhat laggy...and to me, the camera performance went down, but I'll still use it to take a picture of the other three...in a good lighting situation.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Yup, 11 it is. From the four 640's across the family combined, the ATIV SE, the recently reacquired 521 over the summer, the 720 sitting with the rest of the collection in the drawer, the 920 and the 640XL courtesy the kindness of ScienceGuy, and the two unicorns in need of fixing that have come into my possession from earlier this month. Maybe, just maybe. One device too many.

Well, I do only use my 640 for telephony and text mostly/primarily. Sparingly for other uses. Thus the secret of my magical week plus battery life/charges. So I'm sure I would get a lot more issues if it was my primary 'smart' device instead of my primary phone. And yes! Less lust is always good, seven sins and all. You know. Mostly. But Im personally all for more lusting. Just sayin woman. Even though you make it sound much more wrong than it should be. O_O :O

I think we can all agree to the horrible things the WM10 camera algorithms have done to us. But really. I am very interested in seeing those comparisons now. Since you talk up the perfect middle ground. It would be really interesting to see now. :)

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yup, 11 it is. From the four 640's across the family combined, the ATIV SE, the recently reacquired 521 over the summer, the 720 sitting with the rest of the collection in the drawer, the 920 and the 640XL courtesy the kindness of ScienceGuy, and the two unicorns in need of fixing that have come into my possession from earlier this month. Maybe, just maybe. One device too many.

Well, I do only use my 640 for telephony and text mostly/primarily. Sparingly for other uses. Thus the secret of my magical week plus battery life/charges. So I'm sure I would get a lot more issues if it was my primary 'smart' device instead of my primary phone. And yes! Less lust is always good, seven sins and all. You know. Mostly. But Im personally all for more lusting. Just sayin woman. Even though you make it sound much more wrong than it should be. O_O :O

I think we can all agree to the horrible things the WM10 camera algorithms have done to us. But really. I am very interested in seeing those comparisons now. Since you talk up the perfect middle ground. It would be really interesting to see now. :)

-- W

Wow. To be fair, the way you spread it out, it doesn't sound as bad. I thought that you had 11 as an individual. Still a lot but not as bad.

I recall you saying that around the forums about how you use your 640. Lol @ your other part of this comment.

@chancooluk did a great main camera comparsion here between the 2 phones. What I mean by the middle ground is sizewise. Just that only. Specs wise, both phones blow it out of the water but I figured you meant in size anyway.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, six of those out of 11 are still in my active keeping, so make of it what you will - I'm sure some people would still say thats one phone too many Libra. :p

And yes, size is exactly what I meant here. Which is exactly what made the whole conversation sound all wrong. But we're all good now. ^_^ :p I know all the specs, and cameras and all those shenanigans already. :3

-- W

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, six of those out of 11 are still in my active keeping, so make of it what you will - I'm sure some people would still say thats one phone too many Libra. :p

And yes, size is exactly what I meant here. Which is exactly what made the whole conversation sound all wrong. But we're all good now. ^_^ :p I know all the specs, and cameras and all those shenanigans already. :3

-- W

For me, it is too many, but that's just for me. Doesn't matter what I think lol.

I will see if I am able to share a picture sometime tonight or tomorrow, which I will probably post here, because I doubt that you are the only curious one.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Its too many for me too, honest! :p I only have two in active use. Which are my mainstays. The rest are all either my collecting, or picking up the devices for a certain use or a certain thing only. So yes, I am not completely insane. ^_^

And yesh! Pictures!!! But you have to admit though. I am the most curious. Legit! :p

-- W

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
...too many phones eh?
...and here I am yearning to try a Pixel ... am anxious for next years iPhone ... can't wait to get my 950XL tomorrow ... wish that dang Idol 4s with Windows 10 would hurry up ... wish I could collect sports cars too lol

.... still have my Nokia 925, iPhone 6s, Moto X Pure, Lumia 950 ... and a cantankerous Sony Xperia Z3

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Its too many for me too, honest! :p I only have two in active use. Which are my mainstays. The rest are all either my collecting, or picking up the devices for a certain use or a certain thing only. So yes, I am not completely insane. ^_^

And yesh! Pictures!!! But you have to admit though. I am the most curious. Legit! :p

-- W
Haha okay xd

For you and anyone else curious, my iPhone SE, Lumia 550, and Honor 8 in a line (taken by my not so liked 640) :
phonesize.jpg

...too many phones eh?
...and here I am yearning to try a Pixel ... am anxious for next years iPhone ... can't wait to get my 950XL tomorrow ... wish that dang Idol 4s with Windows 10 would hurry up ... wish I could collect sports cars too lol

.... still have my Nokia 925, iPhone 6s, Moto X Pure, Lumia 950 ... and a cantankerous Sony Xperia Z3

Haha, you're good. I'm just more of a minimalist (at least it is a process anyway, but I want to have what I would use). Congrats on the 950 XL! You're not alone on the Pixel, I'm also curious. I wasn't into it originally, but the reviews and the pictures from that phone are like whoa! And then the fact that the small Pixel is also similar is nice to have. If I'm still curious, I'll take a bite next year with hopefully a flash sale with a lot off. lol.

It looks like you're liking that 950, so I'm curious how the size of the XL would be for you.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I am an unrepentant self-professed phone junkie. Waiting on that Idol for Windows as well. Was very disappointed about the Note 7's demise. Was saving for that too. Kind of an OS agnostic.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am an unrepentant self-professed phone junkie. Waiting on that Idol for Windows as well. Was very disappointed about the Note 7's demise. Was saving for that too. Kind of an OS agnostic.

It's interesting that you mention about being kind of OS agnostic because I feel similarly. If someone told me last year that I would be this way, I would have probably laughed at them. Hopping between the three OSes has made really appreciate the positives of each OS.

Hopefully no one will come out with the pitchforks because of my next statement but here goes. I LOVE that Microsoft has their services on every platform and that they work decently well. (Outlook on iOS > Outlook on Android. Ugh!) It makes my life a lot easier. It's nice to know that whatever device I pick up, my contacts can remain on all of them, and whatever photos I take will upload to OneDrive. (Even though I'm currently that person who has text messages all over my phones and my switching interrupts things with a certain person :grincry: )

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that you mention about being kind of OS agnostic because I feel similarly. If someone told me last year that I would be this way, I would have probably laughed at them. Hopping between the three OSes has made really appreciate the positives of each OS.

Hopefully no one will come out with the pitchforks because of my next statement but here goes. I LOVE that Microsoft has their services on every platform and that they work decently well. (Outlook on iOS > Outlook on Android. Ugh!) It makes my life a lot easier. It's nice to know that whatever device I pick up, my contacts can remain on all of them, and whatever photos I take will upload to OneDrive. (Even though I'm currently that person who has text messages all over my phones and my switching interrupts things with a certain person :grincry: )

I feel exactly the same way too. I make it a point to only invest in things that are cross platform. Microsoft's apps certainly fit the bill on all three platforms. It's a great time saver to know that whatever phone I pop my simcard in for the day, I won't be missing any email, files, music, or videos.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I needed a 4G phone so I decided to try out Android as the Lumia phones will not be produced any more and I am not sure about how much after sales service will be available in India now for Windows mobiles.I bought a Moto G4 Plus (3GB) and I am liking the experience ,though I am missing the start screen and live tiles very much.I am using MS apps on my Android ,including Cortana Preview.(Cortana is not available in my country on Android).I am also missing the week view in Outlook Calendar from W10M. Notifications from my Moto G4 Plus are syncing nicely with my laptop on W10 and photos are getting uploaded to OneDrive.I have my 535DS with my secondary sim in it and I use it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo