Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For those switching and interested in joining Google Project Fi, they have dropped the pricing on the Nexus 6P. The 32 GB model is now $400 since the release of the Pixel XL, same as the current Lumia 950XL pricing.

6_P_pricing.jpg

Woodchuck3400

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I've been with Windows Phone a long time. 800=>900=>1020=>830=>950. I absolutely love Windows Phone. But he 950 has pushed me over the edge. Actually, I don't think it?s even the phones fault. It?s just Windows 10 Mobile.

In August, my phone started buzzing, loudly, when I put it on a wireless charging pad. Several trips to ATT store with a very good tech (wow, surprise) showed that it was simply the wrong adapter (needed more amps) with the wrong stand. Although, this wasn?t a problem for other phones like a Galaxy S7.

2 weeks later and my phone started restarting. Randomly. For no reason. AT&T actually swapped it out for a new (reconditioned) phone. Ok, still sticking with it. Slowly started to reload apps. Working great. Smoother then it was before. Then I reloaded my music and my SD card. Then it started randomly restarting again! Turns out it was the SD card. Stopped using an SD card and I was happy again?

About 2 weeks later, I started getting annoyed by that texting delay thing. You know, where you hit send on a text and it just hangs with a greyed out send button. A big annoyance, but I'll live with it. Last Saturday night, my girlfriend asked me to snap a picture of a menu and send it to her son. She couldn?t get enough bars and I was all cocky because my phone was working fine. Snapped the pic with that beautiful camera, looked good, started processing the pic, and the phone just shut off. Booted up, tried it again and again it just shut off.

Sunday I went to Best Buy and bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge off contract.

I miss my Windows Phone. I relied on Cortana. The Glance screen was awesome. I loved that user interface and Live Tiles. I loved being able to see if a new email was spam or something I needed to read right away. Same thing with the previews of the text on the Message tile.

But here?s the thing, everything works now. If I get a call in the car, the music turns back on when I hang up. When I hit send on a text, it sends. I can actually use Samsung Pay (couldn?t get MS Wallet to work either). I no longer have to copy and paste from that crappy LastPass app to log into websites, it just uses your fingerprint in Android (and yes, the fingerprint reader is better than the retinal scan)

This is what really P!$$#$ me off but it?s true?THE MICROSOFT APPS REALLY ARE BETTER ON ANDROID (Except Cortana, but it?s not her fault).

I?m not getting into the whole app thing. Never needed them, still really don?t. Makes things a lot easier.

Before writing this, I read Paul Thurott?s article where he says he?s not even bothering to review the HP Elite X3 because he doesn?t want you to buy it and get stuck with an expensive phone without an ecosystem.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/win...windows-10-mobile-hp-elite-x3-stumble-october

I kind of teared up when I read that.

The only thing I have to decide is whether or not to pay the $200 to get off my contract with ATT for the 950 and turn it back in or pay $350 to keep it. I can?t bring myself to turn it in yet. It?s sitting here on my desk. I still have hope.

mgd 57

May 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you woodchuck, I also went out and bought a galaxy edge plus, (I like the big screen) as I was so fed up with the instabilities of windows 10, for a short time I was in the insider program just to see what was happening, just out of sheer curiosity but soon left and went back to production, nobody could convince me otherwise, but this is total shoddy rushed work. I have both 1520 and 950xl and use the 1520 daily as my work involves a lot of travel and a good camera is essential as are word, excel, and office for what I do as a troubleshooter for a national accountancy company.
Too many times recently the camera failed, so it also was another reason why I decided enough is enough. I could rant on here for pages on the downside of Windows 10 mobile, but, I still really like the concept.
When I set up the s7 edge I found it most impressive, one of the first things I did was take an 'awkward photo' and then printed it out, the results were astounding, I found it hard to believe that anything could be much better than Nokia, it's all very well doing tests on screen, the truth is in the printouts.
Anyway, I missed the screen contents of windows to be honest, so looked for a windows 10 launcher in the store, there's one called 'square home', it's absolute genius, the customisation is endless, live tiles etc etc, then looked for all things Microsoft, and trust me, everything including glance screen is there, but what really raised my eyebrows was how well every one of their apps work and I'm still trying to get my head round why they can't do the same in their own platform!! Not having overly studied it all but I think it's safe to say they have more there than here, all totally stable and work as they should. Unbelievable!!
Anyways, I'm starting to rant, I stumbled on your post and thought I'd write back. Look for square home, plus the key, play with it for a while, it's very comprehensive and every single tiles is fully customizable so it takes time to get it the way you want, then add a glance screen and you'll never know it's android!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Whoa I just read a shootout between the Galaxy S7 edge and the Pixel XL on Android Central...and the Pixel is a heck of a shooter. Better than I actually thought it would be. Not helping my curiosity.

Edit: So seeing all of this Pixel goodness has me feeling a strong sense of wanting to use a smaller phone again (the Honor 8 is the biggest I would go). I think the combo of the regular sized Pixel is like no other.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That moment when you are trying to switch your sim to another phone but your sibling keeps sending MMS messages. Only I really have these problems :grincry:

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I too have just switched from a Verizon Icon/929, and unlike some of the recent posters, I am finding the transition to Android Galaxy S7 difficult.

Pros:
  • S7 is a great phone
  • Wireless Charging (enough said!)
  • Camera comes on instantly and no delay when taking photos
  • Camera quality is awesome
  • GPS lock on instantly AND DOESN'T DROP
  • There is an app for everything. Sometimes Apps are better than mobile websites, and oftentimes there are not substitutes

But as for the rest:
  • W10M just worked. In Android, and especially on non-google hardware, there are multiple options for everything. SMS (Verizon Messages, Messages, or other third party). It is worse for email where Samsung has their app, or you can use GMAIL, or anything else. Choice is good, but they all have different widgets styles. No consistency in the software.
  • There is no replacement for Live Tiles in Android. People have tried to work around it but it requires special software, insane customization, or a bastardization of a home screen
  • Many of the third party apps are better than android (Zonos, Huetro, etc)
  • People say that MS apps on Android are just as good. That is not my belief. I have yet to find a substitute for MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News
  • Cortana is awesome. It does not work as well as Android version
  • And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com, then I have not yet found great solutions in Android. Outlook for Android (mail) is good (Accompli) but there are still gaps. For instance, I can't figure out a way to 'pin' individual mailboxes to my home screen (I have several different email addresses I monitor).
  • I have yet to find an app that works with my love.com calendar. I have multiple calendars in my account (family, personal, kids) and when I try other calendar apps they all show up as the same color when I connect the service.
  • My SO and I share contact lists through her outlook.com address. In W10M, I could add her outlook.com account but exclude everything but contacts. In Android, I and add the service, but her account still shows up on some of the many email apps.
    I have

I'd like to hear how others have addressed the cons, especially when integrating outlook.com services.

adebo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Bought a Pixel XL on Friday from Best Buy just to try it out... All I can say is WOW. I have never used a phone so responsive and just lag free. You touch and it does with out fail. I have used a lot of devices this year and performance wise there is no comparison for me. Might stick this out for a bit and see what happens and wait to see what Microsoft does or does not do.

The Pixel UI is not bad, it is an adjustment and trying to find substitutes for live tiles. Also DTTW and wireless charging are the things I am missing so far.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But as for the rest:
  • W10M just worked. In Android, and especially on non-google hardware, there are multiple options for everything. SMS (Verizon Messages, Messages, or other third party). It is worse for email where Samsung has their app, or you can use GMAIL, or anything else. Choice is good, but they all have different widgets styles. No consistency in the software.
  • There is no replacement for Live Tiles in Android. People have tried to work around it but it requires special software, insane customization, or a bastardization of a home screen
  • Cortana is awesome. It does not work as well as Android version
  • And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com, then I have not yet found great solutions in Android. Outlook for Android (mail) is good (Accompli) but there are still gaps. For instance, I can't figure out a way to 'pin' individual mailboxes to my home screen (I have several different email addresses I monitor)
Nice list. I've been compiling a comparison of WP with Android and iOS, and the things you list are on there as well. The pinning of groups of mail boxes is great, and I also like that they show the 'number of messages since you last looked'. If you spot any more OS level differences it would be great if you could comment on the OS thread.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I too have just switched from a Verizon Icon/929, and unlike some of the recent posters, I am finding the transition to Android Galaxy S7 difficult.

But as for the rest:
  • People say that MS apps on Android are just as good. That is not my belief. I have yet to find a substitute for MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News
  • And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com, then I have not yet found great solutions in Android. Outlook for Android (mail) is good (Accompli) but there are still gaps. For instance, I can't figure out a way to 'pin' individual mailboxes to my home screen (I have several different email addresses I monitor).
  • My SO and I share contact lists through her outlook.com address. In W10M, I could add her outlook.com account but exclude everything but contacts. In Android, I and add the service, but her account still shows up on some of the many email apps.
    I have

I'd like to hear how others have addressed the cons, especially when integrating outlook.com services.

I can try to help you with your cons.
-There are launchers to give you that Live Tile look, such as Square Home (I think?) Of course, it wouldn't be totally the same, but some apps can provide somewhat of a live tile experience.
-This is app dependent.
-You can't do that on any platform as far as I know. The only possible workaround would be for a third-party app that allows you to do that via widgets, but I personally don't know of any.
-There is a way you can do this actually. You have to add her account manually and only leave the box to sync contacts checked. Just follow this: Android for the Windows Guy: Use Your Microsoft Accounts.

Also, pro tip: allow Gmail to have all permissions or else you'll have a screwed up calendar. My everything is Microsoft, email addresses, calendar hosted in Outlook, OneDrive (camera upload), and I use all of that just fine on my Honor 8. Otherwise, I'm not sure about the other things, but I hope someone will be able to help you with them.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
People say that MS apps on Android are just as good. That is not my belief. I have yet to find a substitute for MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News

I had installed MS News & Weather on my Android and not quite liking them I uninstalled them.Now I am using Accuweather on my Android phone since it gives accurate forecasts for my region . For news,I had the Times of India app on my Windows Phone in addition to MS News , and I use it on my Android phone too.There is a Google News and Weather app in Play Store which you can try out.
I too miss the live tiles very much - could see everything on the Startscreen itself.
I use Office lens,OneNote & OneDrive on Android and I am not having any problems with these.
I have set apps to sync in the Cortana Preview app on my Android (No Cortana app on Android in India) and it syncs well with my laptop.But over all,I find W10 more user friendly on mobile than Android.

Last edited:

Woodchuck3400

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Could you use 2 of the email apps. One for each account? I think I like Outlook the best but it doesn't come up with a number of new messages over the icon, so I'm testing out Samsung's "Email" (seriously, who comes up with these names) at the same time.

You can try that Arrow Launcher or Next Lock screen to get a more WP feel, but it's just not the same. I've been on this for a week and one day and I think I just need to give up on live tiles.

Cortana was the other top thing I loved about WP. I'm using her on Android, but I'm now using "OK Google" for my day to day reminders, appointments and hands free functions.

Check out these articles (I've read a lot of articles and played around with a bunch of apps):

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/66228/android-windows-guy-google-app-picks

and

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android

Otherwise:

1. W10M just worked...

It didn't for me. That send text delay is really part of what made me switch.

2. There is no replacement for Live Tiles in Android...

Yeah, there isn't. Don't even try.

3. Many of the third party apps are better than android (Zonos, Huetro, etc)...MS Weather (it is not as good on Android), and the same for MS News....

I agree, especially on the lock screen. MS Weather didn't work on my lock screen anymore. Also, it was consistently 5 degrees off on the weather where I live. I tried to find something that would give me a good forecast on the icon, but it was just bigger icons of date, time and temperature.

4. Cortana is awesome. It does not work as well as Android version

TOTALLY AGREE. Now hoping MS finishes it off for Android.

5. And the big one is if you are tied to MS Services like live.com our outlook.com...

AGREE. I like having just 1 inbox, so this doesn't affect me as much.

6. I have yet to find an app that works with my love.com calendar. I have multiple calendars in my account (family, personal, kids) and when I try other calendar apps they all show up as the same color when I connect the service...

I haven't had this problem, but my important calendar is an Exchange acccount. This is actually one of the areas that I like outook better. Being able to stretch an event to adjust time is way better than the slot machine dials.

7. My SO and I share contact lists through her outlook.com address....

No idea here. I think Exchange shields me from some of this. You can share contacts in Exchange or Hotmail itself (I think) between 2 separate accounts.

If anyone else has some suggestions please comment. Still trying to make this thing mine.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I just recently purchased a ZTE Axon 7. I've been switching back and forth between Android and W10M for the past year, and I just had to come to grips with the fact that Android isn't W10M. Android is different, and some things about the OS are a chore, but it offers soooo much more functionality and support, that its hard to look back. From a hardware standpoint, the Axon 7 (A midrange smartphone) is leagues above the 950 XL in everything but the camera. Once you get over the fact that Android doesn't have the same start screen as Windows Phone, the reasons to go back to Windows Phone fade away.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After a entire month (almost 2), I'm considering switching back to my iPhone as a daily driver (with maybe trying to use the Lumia 550 for a bit?). The middle ground is so hard to find for me. The Honor 8 is a great phone, but I'm tired of it being a purse phone. I have had a lot of fun stuff going on this month, and it's been annoying to think about where I will put my phone that still allows me to have easy access to it. I prefer pockets.

As much as I would ideally like to try a Pixel, financing just isn't a smart option for me at this point in time. The Z5 Compact is still high (which is funny), and the X Compact is higher than what I would pay for a phone (personally, it is the same deal for the Pixel too lol).

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
October 26, 2016
Wednesday

After five long years with Windows Phone it is with a heavy heart that I switch to an Apple iPhone.

During those years I have stood beside my Windows Phones, even though they weren't perfect, it was memorable. The day I graduated and started adulthood is a lifetime Trophy I'll always remember. The best friend whom I've lost will forever and always be a Titan by my side. I still remember Sea Rays gracefully swimming in aquariums, and the day cupid shot an Arrow through my heart. We laughed at jokes and baked lots of Phi. Sometimes life can feel like a Catwalk, and a glass full of Martini usually helps. And yet here I am now, an adult, living in a city wearing suits and ties, working. A Cityman.

Today marks the last for this chapter, but not the end of the story.

Until next time.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Both my wife and I own Lumia 640s, but she's ready to switch to an Android phone that supports a stylus and I'm starting to feel the same way. I wish there were a Windows Phone with stylus support, because it would make OneNote awesome to use, but there isn't.

Microsoft's recent push toward the enterprise market with their phones feels like it leaves the average consumer out in the cold. Yes, the current devices will work for talk, text and web browsing, but the app gap is getting worse. WP lost Mint a long time ago, eBay and Amazon left recently and we never received Pok?mon Go. I don't ask for a whole lot, but those are some big losses. I miss my eBay notifications and it doesn't feel right that one of the biggest software companies in the world lacks small applications.

These complaints aren't anything new. It's too bad the Galaxy Note 7 blew up the way it did, because I probably would have bought a pair of Note 5's, but the prices on those have gone up, so I'm in waiting mode. Part of me wants to try a Lumia 950 XL in the meantime, but the future isn't looking food. I'll probably wait until Samsung's next release for prices on something to drop or maybe Microsoft will have done something significant by then to excuse getting another WP device.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Check out "Square Home 2" in the Play Store. It's got so many options that you can make it almost an exact copy of your windows phone interface. Best 4.99 I have spent in a long time.

I tried it. It doesn't feel the same to me as Windows Phone; it just feels like an add-on with almost no value other than aesthetics (and it misses by a bit on that). What I liked about the WinPhone OS was the unified approach to fonts, styles, etc., in the various utilities and apps. Square Home 2 makes the front door look similar, but once you walk in the door you realize it's just a facade.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Just watched the MS Fall event, and not a single mention of Mobile, not one. Just why do they think people will keep using their phones without any future information going forward?

Guess I will just hold my nose and go back to Android, much as I hate it (HATE Apple even worse), for the time being till MS gets their collective heads out.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a LG V20. If MS had mentioned anything of a X86 processor phone I would have stuck with my old Note 3 until it came out. So after my Lumia 920 I got the Note 3 (close to 2 years ago) and now I am pretty much with Android another 2 years. I guess I still have Launcher Pro 8 so I can make it look like a Windows Phone.

marshall moyo

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I give up in windows phone

After moving from iOS from the introduction of the lumia 920 to the lumia 1020 because ive always been in love with the industrial design and the beauty and simplicity of the os, im very disappointed that the 1020 is not getting win10. This has prompted me to move back to ios who seem to care more about their users. We all know the 1020 can run win 10 but ms is in a bid to sell the crap designed 950 thus hindering the update for 1020. Farewell win os. Thanks for the camerA which my phone basically is now

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, after several months of great wailing and gnashing of teeth over my first Note 7 being recalled and then my 2nd Note 7 being recalled I settled in comfortably with the Galaxy S7 Edge. The S7Edge isn't the "carnival" the Note 7 was. The S7Edge is a deluxe daily driver, and I do mean deluxe, but calm and executive like. I love the edge panels and bought 2 more so I don't have to scroll through pages, I can stay in the app I'm in, swipe out the Edge panel 1,2,3,4 and view my apps, pick one, that way while the app I'm in remains on the desktop. The color's brilliant, screen only slightly smaller than the Note 7, and using the browser in horizontal mode NEVER requires that I need the mobile site version. PLUS the browser remembers that I want the full screen. I quite like it.

BUT, I just loaded 14955.1000 on my "mint" condition ICON.

Sooooooo...... Just saying I'm back.

Galaxy S7E [ MM6.01 ] Daily Driver :smile:
Lumia ICON [ 14955.1000 ] Daily Toy :winktongue:

Peace. Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs