02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 171172173174175 ...
tools
    Instead of the best you will have to settle for "good enough"
    libra89 likes this.
    05-03-2017 11:41 AM
    Instead of the best you will have to settle for "good enough"
    Yep, the phone that works out the best with the least amount of compromise will do. It seems like small phones are unpopular so the Pixel will be a friend for a bit. I also have the SE, which is nice too but the Pixel has better radios.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-03-2017 12:56 PM
    Ooh that scares me. It's a hard life for a switcher. Lol!

That could be me next.
    Speaking of next, I thought about you and your fondness for small phones.

Want a really small 4G Android Nougat phone? Meet Jelly
    05-03-2017 07:27 PM
    Speaking of next, I thought about you and your fondness for small phones.

Want a really small 4G Android Nougat phone? Meet Jelly
    Haha, it's so cute! I saw MrMobile's video about it. I'm curious but I know that reading on it will suck though. :(
    05-03-2017 09:19 PM
    I learned something else can happen when you switch SIMs a lot, which sucks but I guess it is what it is.

I was having issues sending and receiving MMS on my Pixel and I didn't know why. For some reason, each time I removed my sim from the Pixel and then put it back in, it downloaded new apn settings EVERY time (and the old ones were already there too), which confused the phone. I had to reset my network settings to have everything work again.

I'm going to take a break from switching for a bit, really don't want to go through the hassle of getting a new sim until I must.
    fatclue_98, mark233 and Guytronic like this.
    05-04-2017 09:22 AM
    I saw that too, it is pretty cool.

I do always like when I go back and pick up an older phone like the 822 or even my old HTC Trophy. Its a nice nostalgic feeling, but I think the 4.7-5.2" screen size is basically the sweet spot for me. Small enough for easy one-handed use and to slide into any pocket, but big enough to easily read on or watch a video from time to time.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    05-04-2017 09:26 AM
    I know I said what I said but I'm going back to my SE. My hand was forced thanks to issues with my recent phones, which includes the Pixel.

These issues are phone ones and not SIM ones. I'm done. Even though getting a new SIM is a pain, I'm going to be a good gal and do it soon, hopefully today if I have time.
    RumoredNow, Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    05-06-2017 11:57 AM
    When I switch the SIM to my iPhone 6s (updated to latest iOS) ... I get a pop-up window on the display that states, "Your SIM sent a text" ---... just started that with latest iOS update followed by a restore/set up as new reset. First time that happened I looked into my text messages and there was no record of what the heck my SIM texted ---- and to whom. (-_-)
    05-06-2017 12:14 PM
    When I switch the SIM to my iPhone 6s (updated to latest iOS) ... I get a pop-up window on the display that states, "Your SIM sent a text" ---... just started that with latest iOS update followed by a restore/set up as new reset. First time that happened I looked into my text messages and there was no record of what the heck my SIM texted ---- and to whom. (-_-)
    That's so weird. That also sounds very annoying too.
    fatclue_98 and Guytronic like this.
    05-06-2017 12:19 PM
    It's your iPhone trying to communicate with your carrier to see if there's any updates. It's annoying to no end and I got it when I updated to 10.3.1 too. I wish I remembered how I got rid of it but I'm sure there's an answer on the internetz.
    05-06-2017 01:11 PM
    It's your iPhone trying to communicate with your carrier to see if there's any updates. It's annoying to no end and I got it when I updated to 10.3.1 too. I wish I remembered how I got rid of it but I'm sure there's an answer on the internetz.
    Sounds like I'm going to continue with tapping later when this pops up to install the update.
    05-06-2017 01:29 PM
    I had issues with MMS on my Pixel too. Sometimes they wouldn't download or send. I would have to restart it to get them to work. Don't think it was a SIM issue, just an annoying one given it is a $750 phone.

Still holding strong on W10M now. The issues with the camera now not focusing with the Creator's Update does make me carry the Pixel with me as well sometimes though.
    fatclue_98, mark233 and libra89 like this.
    05-06-2017 02:00 PM
    When I switch the SIM to my iPhone 6s (updated to latest iOS)
    Tell me, can you get on the internet using an Iphone or do you need am Apple Talk card?

Sent from mTalk
    05-06-2017 02:08 PM
    I had issues with MMS on my Pixel too. Sometimes they wouldn't download or send. I would have to restart it to get them to work. Don't think it was a SIM issue, just an annoying one given it is a $750 phone.

Still holding strong on W10M now. The issues with the camera now not focusing with the Creator's Update does make me carry the Pixel with me as well sometimes though.
    It's an Android Nougat issue. I have the same problem with MMS on my G5. I have to tell people to send pictures via email, talk about workarounds.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    libra89, HeyCori and Guytronic like this.
    05-06-2017 03:33 PM
    Tell me, can you get on the internet using an Iphone or do you need am Apple Talk card?

Sent from mTalk
    Well call me ignorant. I've never heard of this Apple Talk card.
    05-06-2017 03:56 PM
    Well call me ignorant. I've never heard of this Apple Talk card.
    Ignorant.

That makes two of us though.

mark233, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    05-06-2017 04:06 PM
    It's an Android Nougat issue. I have the same problem with MMS on my G5. I have to tell people to send pictures via email, talk about workarounds.

Wow, that's really bad. Ugh.
    05-06-2017 04:07 PM
    Ignorant.

That makes two of us though.

Sorry, showing my age. AppleTalk was a proprietary (big shock!) networking technology used for Mac PC's in the late '80s / early '90s before TCP/IP became more standard. Though slow (by comparison to NetWare) it worked.

Inside the Mac OS: A look at AppleTalk and zones | Macworld

I configured multiple networks with NetWare and AppleTalk.
    05-07-2017 06:53 PM

Brutal
    05-07-2017 08:17 PM
    Brutal
    I hate to say it, but I feel like things like this is kind of a downfall of being one to update early. It's so stupid that this has to be done.
    05-07-2017 08:21 PM
    I hate to say it, but I feel like things like this is kind of a downfall of being one to update early. It's so stupid that this has to be done.
    It's not like Android has any competition to be delivering one bad update after another. I can understand Windows sending out a half-baked update because they're trying to see if anything sticks but iOS and Android are established and should be introducing individual features as minor feature updates rather than new OS versions.

Horrible battery life, broken messaging and crashing apps should be a thing of the past on Android. The OS is too "mature" to be having these issues at this stage of the game. Apple is not exactly immune to similar snafus. There was an iMessaging problem a few years ago and a battery drain problem with the 6 and 6+ when they were released not that long ago.

Say what you will about BlackBerry OS10, and to a lesser degree WP8.1, OS10 was rock solid and I've never seen app crashes on native apps. OS7 was a different story altogether made worse by boot-up times lasting a hockey season.
    05-07-2017 09:10 PM
    It's not like Android has any competition to be delivering one bad update after another. I can understand Windows sending out a half-baked update because they're trying to see if anything sticks but iOS and Android are established and should be introducing individual features as minor feature updates rather than new OS versions.

Horrible battery life, broken messaging and crashing apps should be a thing of the past on Android. The OS is too "mature" to be having these issues at this stage of the game. Apple is not exactly immune to similar snafus. There was an iMessaging problem a few years ago and a battery drain problem with the 6 and 6+ when they were released not that long ago.

Say what you will about BlackBerry OS10, and to a lesser degree WP8.1, OS10 was rock solid and I've never seen app crashes on native apps. OS7 was a different story altogether made worse by boot-up times lasting a hockey season.
    I believe you on that. I miss how nicely 8.1 worked even it had a lot of quirks LOL.

I know that Apple has messed up too. I understand that errors and such happen but silly things that can/will affect communication to me is a big problem. I'll probably never forget how iOS 10 at first broke some things.
    05-07-2017 09:50 PM
    I'm currently using BB10 and it has been pretty rock solid aside from a few random restarts. I can't think of any apps that have crashed on me.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    05-07-2017 11:36 PM
    I picked up an S8+ over the weekend with the intentions of trying it out for about 10 days to see if I could make the switch.

I hate to say it, but it took about 2 hours for me to decide the answer was yes. It's definitely not perfect, but the difference was eye opening. I'll share my experience coming from a 950.

First, the negatives.
    -I vastly prefer the UI of W10M. Fortunately, Android is easy to customize and there are a lot of "W10" type launchers you can get. They do an okay job, but missing live tiles is a huge step back.
    -Had to fire up my old Google account. I really dislike this part of it, but no choice.
    -DeX requires (I believe) the $150 cradle to operate. I was really excited to try this feature as I love the idea of continuum, but I'll wait until some used ones show up on ebay. This was a bummer since I already have an MS display dock and Screen Beam.
    -Fingerprint sensor is in a really dumb place. Not at all convenient to use, very disappointed as fingerprint seems to be the most natural, fastest way to unlock a phone.

That's really about it for bad things to say about the phone. I know I'm comparing a 1.5 year old phone to a new one, but the 950 is still pretty solid as far as specs... so keep that in mind for the rest.

Positives
    -Fast. Unreal how quickly apps open, websites load, etc. Again, old phone vs new phone but FB would take 10-20 seconds to open on my 950. Opening it cold on the S8 is literally instantaneous. This is largely do the coding on the apps, but there's essentially no load time for any apps. This makes a huge difference in my experience.
    -App availability. Obviously. Not going to beat a dead horse here.
    -Iris scanner is usually instantaneous. Misses once in a while, but a big improvement over the 950.
    -Stability - haven't had any apps randomly close, no mystery reboots so far.
    -MS apps (and even the WC app) are better. Sad, sad thing but it's true.
    -Typing.. I've posted about how bad swipe/predictive is in W10M; it's much better on the S8+.
    -Battery life. Night and day. I did everything I could on my 950 to maximize the battery and could still barely make it through a day.

There are a ton of similarities between the two OS'es, switching between them has been easy despite not using an Android as my main for 4 or 5 years.

Keeping my 950 to keep an eye on the OS and for whenever I need Continuum. Really the main thing that pushed me to give the S8+ a shot is the lack of any plans for a flagship phone this year with W10M, plus MS's complete silence about the future of the OS. I'll definitely be back if W10 on ARM leads to something.
    05-08-2017 11:23 AM
    @libra89 You are a bad influence. After reading your glowing reviews of the iPhone SE, I decided to see what was on my local craigslist, even though I swore I didn't want an iOS device. Well for less than half the price of a new 32GB one I have a gently used 64GB(though the screen has some decent scratches), and now have the trifecta of newish phones from each platform (Lumia 950, Google Pixel, and iPhone SE). The small size is really nice in the hand, and it feels great. I never had an iphone 5 or 5S, so it isn't a nostalgia thing for me. I figured this way I can keep up with all the new stuff on each platform, and for the price, why not. I most likely will not use it as a daily driver (that is still my 950), but it will keep my Pixel company on my desk.
    05-10-2017 01:31 PM
5,457 ... 171172173174175 ...