Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see it as self preservation :) it's really no different from the election drama tbh. You have a group of people who are tired of following leaders who don't seem to appeal to them (google and apple aka Hilary and trump in this case ) and don't want someone telling them why they shouldn't think/support what they do. It's not self preservation as this really has nothing to do with surv ival. It's human nature
You're comparing this to the recent elections. Say no more.

Knights2257

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Finally did the evil, and am leaving WP.

Sorry, I know there was a sticky at one point, but can't see it now.

Anyway, been with Windows Phone since the HTX 8x. I've fought for it, supported it, bought apps I didn't want/need to try to show we are alive. I have been waiting as my phone is dying, avoiding the inevitable. Finally, last night, we broke down and ordered the Pixel. I am all about the different and the unique. I felt horrible going with the trend. My wife and I both felt like traitors. Then today at school I tried plugging my phone in to my Win 10 computer... and it just didn't work. "USB error" or whatever. It was the final straw. I no longer feel bad. I will miss our tiles and the look on peoples faces when we pull out our WP. However, I need things to work. I do need stuff updated. I have apps that I need not just for play but for work. This sucks, but if MS won't support and fix it then I don't know why I should. So, sorry Cortana but Alexa is now my best friend, :(

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Finally did the evil, and am leaving WP.

Sorry, I know there was a sticky at one point, but can't see it now.

Anyway, been with Windows Phone since the HTX 8x. I've fought for it, supported it, bought apps I didn't want/need to try to show we are alive. I have been waiting as my phone is dying, avoiding the inevitable. Finally, last night, we broke down and ordered the Pixel. I am all about the different and the unique. I felt horrible going with the trend. My wife and I both felt like traitors. Then today at school I tried plugging my phone in to my Win 10 computer... and it just didn't work. "USB error" or whatever. It was the final straw. I no longer feel bad. I will miss our tiles and the look on peoples faces when we pull out our WP. However, I need things to work. I do need stuff updated. I have apps that I need not just for play but for work. This sucks, but if MS won't support and fix it then I don't know why I should. So, sorry Cortana but Alexa is now my best friend, :(
I was in the exact same spot as you were earlier in the year. I loved Win Phone. I was a big advocate for it. I feel that it left me and not the other way around. I'm happy with Android. I so keep a Lumia around for an Mp3 player though. The Groove music app beats anything Android has.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Always remember, and never forget...

Issues should be the topic and not other users.

When something offends, please use the Report Button rather than reply as that drags things out.

Thanks and carry on.[/WARN]

The Lumia God

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
No I would not leave the windows mobile platform because it has a lot to offer to consumers and I would like to here about a surface phone with high end specs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I will consider a 650 after all. A 950 would be a waste for me to spend $$$ on if I know my own usage habits (once or twice a week at most of usage). My 640 is not exciting to me. :straight:

On the switching platforms note, I think as much as I want Android to be my perfect middle, maybe right now, I'm a secret iOS fan. I have a hard time putting it out there but whoa, it's so easy to use for me (with MS services), but it always goes back to the customization bit for me.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just ordered a Google Pixel today. I still prefer Windows Mobile over Android and probably still will when I receive my new phone. I've had Windows Mobile 5 & 6 devices, and various Windows phones like the Samsung Focus, Nokia Lumia 900, 920, 1520, and now 950. I'm a huge Microsoft fan and have a self-built Windows 10 PC, a Surface Pro 4, and an Xbox One and primarily use Microsoft software and services and would have preferred to stay with Windows Mobile for the total experience. There were several factors that influenced my decision but most importantly both the lack of developer support including major apps being pulled from the store this year and the fact that Microsoft themselves have appear to have abandoned the smartphone market with no firm commitment to anything such as the rumored Surface phone. Also finally a high-end phone that I can live with and is similar spec-wise to the 950 (I hate both iPhones and Samsung Galaxies and tired of the cult-like exclusive clubs for the 2 phones). I know that Windows Mobile continues to be updated and I plan on retaining my 950 so I can continue to test new Windows Mobile builds and perhaps use it as secondary device in the future, but at this time I think it's time that I try something new and see where it goes. I can always come back to Windows Mobile at a later date should the situation improve.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm a secret iOS fan.

I know how it goes with iOS.
Me wife really likes it because she of course isn't a nerd-o phone and device junkie like I am.

Also even though I have consistently balked at tablets that Cube WP10 deal looks intriguing to me.
At it's low price it might be a great way for me to get back into WP10 without breaking the bank.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I know how it goes with iOS.
Me wife really likes it because she of course isn't a nerd-o phone and device junkie like I am.

Also even though I have consistently balked at tablets that Cube WP10 deal looks intriguing to me.
At it's low price it might be a great way for me to get back into WP10 without breaking the bank.

Yeah that makes sense about your wife, it's hard haha.

I think that would be a great idea, you should do it! It looks really cool, I find it fascinating. If you get one, you should share impressions and such please!

sonicmotion

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Gave up my windows phone for an iphone

Yes, I gave up my windows phone after two years. I really enjoyed my windows phone but the lack of apps was really hurting me. So I went to an iphone, at first I was happy but I really regret it.

I miss my windows phone. The iphone settings menu's are a joke, I can't find anything in them.

Siri is a joke, I can't get her to read me texts or auto send texts like I could with cortana.

In short, I will probably be going back to my windows phone once this contract is up.

Chris

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I made the change back to Android and am really regretting it. Got the LG V20 since I am on Verizon and all they have now for Windows phones is the Nokia 735, which is a low to mid range phone. I have a Samsung ATIV SE still which I loaded Windows 10 on.

It still runs great, better than when it had Win8, but the battery was getting tired and since VZW doesn't seem to want to do Windows phones anymore, plus phone manufacturers are not willing to make CDMA phones with Windows, I figure why not, give Android a try after 3 years away from it.

Boy am I disappointed. The phone itself is real solid, good screen, build quality is great. What sucks is the OS. It is running Nougat, the most current Android build. All I can say is it really sucks. The camera has good specs, but the processing software leaves a grainy picture, no matter the settings. Vidoe is just as bad. You have to use Third Party apps to get any useful capabilites. I feel sorry for Google Pixel buyes. It just seems clunky, there is a lack of integration between apps that Windows has down pat. It is almost like there are too many apps, with fragmented capabilities. I like the VZW messaging app, which is unusual for me since most of the VZW apps are junk.

I was trying to export a contact to the VZW messaging app and it wouldn't accept it, said I had to use the native Google one. I am like what? Talk about disappointing. Again, Andriod is built like it was designed by a bunch of kids just throwing spit balls at a board of possible design options. Windows 10 Mobile is designed for adults doing work.

What I really wish for is that LG would release a V20 loaded with Windows 10 Mobile or a way to replace Android on my current phone with Wind10. Now that would be something I would buy in a heartbeat.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Boy am I disappointed. The phone itself is real solid, good screen, build quality is great. What sucks is the OS. It is running Nougat, the most current Android build. All I can say is it really sucks. The camera has good specs, but the processing software leaves a grainy picture, no matter the settings. Vidoe is just as bad. You have to use Third Party apps to get any useful capabilites. I feel sorry for Google Pixel buyes. It just seems clunky, there is a lack of integration between apps that Windows has down pat. It is almost like there are too many apps, with fragmented capabilities. I like the VZW messaging app, which is unusual for me since most of the VZW apps are junk.

Yes, and these are some of the reasons why I held off for so long, and I strongly feel that Windows 10 Mobile is a superior OS than any version of Android and I agree about the integration between apps. But it doesn't change the fact that developer support for Windows phones keeps getting worse and worse with old apps never being updated and not working well with Windows 10, and major apps being pulled from the platform, especially over the past year or so. This isn't about crap apps like Snapchat or Pokemon Go anymore. It also doesn't change the fact that Microsoft themselves have retrenched from the phone market and it is uncertain when or if they will get back into it in the future. So my choices were to continue with my Lumia 950 and put up with the rapid declining support or try the new Google Pixel phone and keep that 950 as a secondary device which is what I did. I'm determined to customize my Pixel with launchers and Microsoft apps to give me as close to a Windows-like experience as possible while gaining access to the Google Play store.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I went back to my HTC M10 for a week but really missed my 950XL. Microsoft really have it right with Win10 Mobile. Sure Android and IOS have lots of apps both I consider both OS'S to be nothing on W10M. The integration between Desktop, tablet, XBOX and mobile is simply not there with apple and Google.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I gave up my Lumia 650 for an android archos phone. Been using that for 6 weeks now using the 650 again.

Android has many good things but the lag is a nightmare. A lot of apps were very slow.

For instance, storm of wars, a game I play, took ages to start on the archos and when exiting, when longer for home screen to return. No such issues on the 650, turns out the app gap, not such a big deal for me either.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I gave up my Lumia 650 for an android archos phone. Been using that for 6 weeks now using the 650 again.

Android has many good things but the lag is a nightmare. A lot of apps were very slow.

For instance, storm of wars, a game I play, took ages to start on the archos and when exiting, when longer for home screen to return. No such issues on the 650, turns out the app gap, not such a big deal for me either.

Sometimes (or actually a good amount of the time), it is worth it to try the flip side to assure confidence in the platform(s) of your choice.

So I pulled the trigger on the 650! I was able to find an unlocked Cricket 650 so here I come (or go). I hope I like it.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes (or actually a good amount of the time), it is worth it to try the flip side to assure confidence in the platform(s) of your choice.

So I pulled the trigger on the 650! I was able to find an unlocked Cricket 650 so here I come (or go). I hope I like it.
The 650 is a brilliant phone, having used my Android for a bit I really appreciate its speed and multitasking, it just zips around taking everything in its stride. Let us know your thoughts on it.

Yeah, Android is great in many ways and I wouldnt bash it too much, but the lag was a real issue, even when the phone was ringing screen response was delayed.

The app gap sure exists but I tended to find I was using all the same apps anyway, sure I would download the latest fad games or apps but they would soon be deleted when I lost interest, my 'sticky' apps were the ones that were on both platforms.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The 650 is a brilliant phone, having used my Android for a bit I really appreciate its speed and multitasking, it just zips around taking everything in its stride. Let us know your thoughts on it.

Yeah, Android is great in many ways and I wouldnt bash it too much, but the lag was a real issue, even when the phone was ringing screen response was delayed.

The app gap sure exists but I tended to find I was using all the same apps anyway, sure I would download the latest fad games or apps but they would soon be deleted when I lost interest, my 'sticky' apps were the ones that were on both platforms.

Good to know! I am going to get it tomorrow so I will for sure. Had a 640 and I don't know, I still don't like how it is on W10M.

I understand what you mean about Android. Unfortunately for Android, you always have to choose well or else it sucks. I have an Honor 8 and I have no issues with doing anything. It's amazing. Some other phones I have tried just suck or hang up.

mgalvin

May 27, 2016
Visit site
After sticking with windows through the good old 6.5.3 days then 7 & 8 and finally 10... probably 11years in total a number of issues bubbled to the surface.

1) Amazon removed their app.
2) ebay removed their app.
3) my bank still didn't have an app.
4) my stock broker didn't have an app.
5) I wanted a multiroom speak system.... no apps.
6) strava has no app.
7) Gumtree has no app.
8) my company wouldn't support good for enterprise on windows. Due to some security issue.

Ebay was the straw that broke the camels back though.... I need that app! Lol

So I'm now on an S5 and tbh.... it's fine l. Sure the os is not as polished, the keyboard is not as good and the settings and general app layout is a disaster. But that said... I now have apps! I can check my bank balance, race friends on strava, configure my multiroom speaker system, trade stocks, buy and sell on ebay and Gumtree. No crashing, no sluggishness. .. it just works. The only thing that doesn't work in fact, is groove, which is an abomination! So I now need to move to Spotify or something! Hey ho, household subscription should do fine... something else I couldn't do on ms platform.

How do ms fix this? They stick it out, they innovate and hope and pray that the devs come.

If they don't, MS are in big trouble here. Make no bones about it, the next generation of kids are growing up using IOS and android, there's a chance ms could lose the OS battle completely.

M

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Good to know! I am going to get it tomorrow so I will for sure. Had a 640 and I don't know, I still don't like how it is on W10M.

I understand what you mean about Android. Unfortunately for Android, you always have to choose well or else it sucks. I have an Honor 8 and I have no issues with doing anything. It's amazing. Some other phones I have tried just suck or hang up.
The problem with "choosing well" with Android is you don?t know how deeply involved the OEM skin is unless you go the Nexus/Pixel route. It could have the latest CPU and the best GPU and 50 gigs of RAM but you won't know until you've used it for a couple of weeks. The bottleneck usually rears its ugly head a few weeks in and by that time you're out of any grace period for returns. Resource management has always been the Achilles Heel of Android and there?s no way around it. Is it better than just a few versions ago? Absolutely. But that's like saying Barium preps are much better now than before. They still turn you inside out, you just don't barf as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss