Wait a minute -- what the heck happened to my original forum post?

v/r
    BMK
    From Surface Pro 4
    Moderators will merge threads sometimes for the sake of continuity and it also makes it easier to monitor. Mods aren't paid, they have jobs and families so anything to keep the publication tidy and make their jobs easier is smiled upon.
    06-14-2017 07:53 AM
    I confess I don’t know how Nine Mail works – I was under the impression that it synced Outlook.com’s contacts/calendar with Google’s equivalent.

So, Nine Mail is a standalone email, calendar, & contacts app that has two-way sync with Outlook.com which you can set as default…
    Yes.

If I set the Nine Mail calendar to default … will Cortana read from this?

Because if that’s the case, then yeah – you don’t need the Google Calendar app at all…?
    Does Cortana read from your Outlook calendar? I was thinking that "she" has her own calendar for reminders and the like that you can't really access, but I may be way off. Nine Mail does give me notifications of all my events, though, just the way the native MS Outlook client for Android does. I don't use my Google calendar at all - I've completely turned off notifications from it. I get my calendar reminders from Nine.

I guess if you want to use Outlook for Android (calendar & email) you could disable the notification from Nine Mail – and just use Nail mail in the background to keep the contacts & calendar in sync.
    Yeah, that would work. I personally find Nine Mail's app better than the Outlook for Android app, though, so I just use that.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and N1cks like this.
    06-14-2017 01:20 PM
    These are old but you can still do them and it works decently:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...etting-started
    https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...osoft-accounts

This is more recent but you can check this out too: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...ize-smartphone
    Thanks for those.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-14-2017 07:08 PM
    Thanks for those.
    You're welcome! Good luck, and please bookmark them if necessary.
    06-14-2017 07:21 PM
    With the battery apparently now failing on my BLU Windows HD phone, and obviously nothing coming from MS, I now have to buy my first Android phone. It's a sad day, but here it is. I know that I can install MS apps - Outlook, OneDrive etc - and continue using my MS calendar, email etc. And I'm sure I could grind through this on my own. But isn't there, by now, some sort of migration guide for people like me? A nice step-by-step for ending up with the equivalent of what MS will be selling in their stores as a "Microsoft Edition" Android phone?
    Why not get an HP Elite X3, Alcatel phone or even a 950/950XL or cheap 1520?

Why does no new phone from MS mean you have to go to Android?
    fatclue_98 and aximtreo like this.
    06-15-2017 02:10 PM
    Well, windows phone is unhackable, a lot of hackers use .apk applications to hack android or other ones to hack ios, but windows phone is very secure... as a penetration tester, i didnt find a way to hack a windows phone :P
    PerfectReign likes this.
    06-15-2017 04:02 PM

X3 is too expensive.
    Idol4s is at a decent price now.
    As for the others, most people want something at least relatively new and there isn't much with Windows.
    For a lot of people that means move on to something else. Its a tough time right now in WM land.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    06-15-2017 07:11 PM
    X3 is too expensive.
    Idol4s is at a decent price now.
    As for the others, most people want something at least relatively new and there isn't much with Windows.
    For a lot of people that means move on to something else. Its a tough time right now in WM land.

True. Not many easy choices out there for Windows 10 mobile.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-15-2017 07:39 PM
    True. Not many easy choices out there for Windows 10 mobile.
    Right. You have to know what you want and have realistic expectations. You certainly can get a capable device to fit your current needs though depending on what they are.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    06-15-2017 07:40 PM
    Found out something today. While my Iphone doesn't have live tiles, it does have sort of a quick quick menu.

I can long press on some icons, which brings up a context menu for quick actions.

Still not as nice as W10m
    06-16-2017 01:00 AM
    Actually BB10 almost killed them. While its a very good mobile OS, it was too little too late.
    Switching to Android and becoming a software focused company has given them new life.

Software company which had abandoned it's own OS?
    06-16-2017 07:45 AM

Because they want to go Android. The rest is simple whining. I've bought 950 XL a month ago and am absolutely happy. I am even more happy, when tried S8 Plus and iPhone 7 after my 950 XL.

I'm not sure if it's right in English (originally I know it in Russian): "Those, who want - are looking for opportunities. Those, who doesn't want - seek for excuses".

Android is just an excuse for W10m user, not more.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-16-2017 07:50 AM
    Like I've been saying. I want a computing device which can make phone calls, has the UI of WM10, the stability and quality of Ios, and is as customizable and open source as Android.

Is that to much to ask?
    You can aim same question to Apple and Google... and to God.
    06-16-2017 07:52 AM
    I didn't think anyone was even trying to hack Windows Mobile anymore. i however wouldn't say its unhackable nothing is unhackable.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-16-2017 09:42 AM
    Found out something today. While my Iphone doesn't have live tiles, it does have sort of a quick quick menu.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e7bae3988d.jpg

I can long press on some icons, which brings up a context menu for quick actions.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...00869e97be.jpg

Still not as nice as W10m
    Long press or hard press? It looks like the 3D Touch menus. My SE doesn't have that, but I kind of remember it from the 6S I had. It is a very handy feature, and it seems like it will be even more handy with iOS 11.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    06-16-2017 10:40 AM
    Long press or hard press? It looks like the 3D Touch menus. My SE doesn't have that, but I kind of remember it from the 6S I had. It is a very handy feature, and it seems like it will be even more handy with iOS 11.
    Yeah, that is the 3d touch menu. I don't remember which press though LOL
    06-16-2017 10:51 AM
    Yeah, that is the 3d touch menu. I don't remember which press though LOL
    3D Touch, or Force Touch as it was originally called. Not a long press but a pressure press. Hopefully that helps with describing it.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-16-2017 11:38 AM

Android is just an excuse for W10m user, not more.
    I wanted my apps to be updated. Facebook and messenger haven't been updated in almost a year now. On Android their updated frequently and are fully featured. They perform way better than on windows. I loved windows but they dropped the ball for mobile the os is still buggy camera is still screwed up apps are being abandoned and not supported. Everything works better on Android and I've been using windows since the HTC touch pro 1 all the way up to my idol 4s windows 10 mobile
    06-16-2017 12:09 PM
    I think I'm one of the die hard Windows 10 mobile fan , but my hopes have also limitations , I think nothing can turn Windows Mobile to leading operating system, unless Microsoft will pay all of its attention to it , because nowadays mobile market is biggest and more important for people than pc or laptop , to focus on mobile will bring more respect and attention from people , that will help MS to be first in every competition with Google and Apple , their only advantage is mobile , because windows is better than OS x and chrome os or android , if w10m will be as successful as Windows 10 would be the greatest step from MS
    Nate W likes this.
    06-16-2017 01:13 PM
    I think I'm one of the die hard Windows 10 mobile fan , but my hopes have also limitations , I think nothing can turn Windows Mobile to leading operating system, unless Microsoft will pay all of its attention to it , because nowadays mobile market is biggest and more important for people than pc or laptop , to focus on mobile will bring more respect and attention from people , that will help MS to be first in every competition with Google and Apple , their only advantage is mobile , because windows is better than OS x and chrome os or android , if w10m will be as successful as Windows 10 would be the greatest step from MS
    Ya it is confusing what they are doing (Microsoft). The key developers that see what is going, are invested in Apps on UWP. It is also cost effective for an application to drop support for W10M, and probably easier if they are not sure of what Microsoft is planning. This allows them to focus on the market that has not stopped growing for years (Android/iOS). This in turn makes it easier for consumers to leave. I myself keep one of every mobile platform around my house. Because I never know when I will want to go use one or the other. However, I too am committed to investing in W10/W10M. It has me hooked I guess to see what lies around the next corner coming up...
    06-16-2017 01:36 PM
    "Those, who want - are looking for opportunities. Those, who doesn't want - seek for excuses".

Excellent quote!!
    06-17-2017 11:58 AM
    I may be using the wrong term - hard press. Handy. The dual camera is cool too. Took this yesterday to send my beautiful young bride. Someone had given her an orchid last year and I resurrected it despite my black thumb of death. The Iphone 7 camera seems to rival that of my 950xl and is faster. Pictures also show up quicker.

Just need for Outlook to support encryption on email. The stock mail app has a lot to learn from Outlook. As someone who gets 300+ emails a day, and lives by my calendar, I need it to work well.
    06-17-2017 12:14 PM
    I WANT Windows 10 Mobile. I want to KEEP loving it as much as I’ve loved it since my HTC Arrive and Windows Phone 7 back in 2010.
    Yes, bloody WP7 started me on my Windows Phone obsession. An obsession that lead me to buy multiple WP devices for my family.

I'm in the process of trying to rectify that mistake right now by buying x3 iPhone 6s ($$$ ouch).
    I was chatting with Apple via Edge on my Lumia 950xl yesterday & the browser froze a couple of times - which I thought was ironic.
    My family aren't techy like me... they just want FB Messenger to work.

As for myself, I'll hang on to my 950xl until at least the iPhone 8 is announced.

I share overboard08 sentiment, the dream is over :-S.
    libra89, Joe920, Nate W and 1 others like this.
    06-17-2017 12:19 PM
    for myself, I'll hang on to my 950xl until at least the iPhone 8 is announced.
    Don't know about that device. All glass. Edge to edge screen. Yech! My son had both with his Note 7 and then S7. He eventually traded for a LG V20. Much better.

Another thing I just noticed on the Iphone. I can search and it provides results from contacts, the interwebz, my calendar, email, and OneNote.

I sent feedback on that several times. Just looked on my 950xl to add a link and the feedback service is down.

Not a good sign.
    TgeekB, fatclue_98 and libra89 like this.
    06-17-2017 02:45 PM
    Don't know about that device. All glass. Edge to edge screen. Yech! My son had both with his Note 7 and then S7. He eventually traded for a LG V20. Much better.

Another thing I just noticed on the Iphone. I can search and it provides results from contacts, the interwebz, my calendar, email, and OneNote.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4d25d73fb4.jpg

I sent feedback on that several times. Just looked on my 950xl to add a link and the feedback service is down.

Not a good sign.
    Apple finally decided to implement universal search. Just another webOS first that was followed by BlackBerry.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    06-17-2017 04:03 PM
5,463 ... 182183184185186 ...