Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What are you looking for in future VR that will make it more appealing to you?

I'm curious, since I don't own any VR yet either.

Deeper, more complex games. The PlayStation VR is nice but the current crop of games are, at best, elongated demos. Live steamed virtual conferences would also be cool, though I suspect it's going to be a while before something like that takes off.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

Going on a vacation in LA soon and I'm trying to decide which Windows phone to take. :cool:

I could take my 1520 because it shoots in 4K. And while I could use it for pictures, I'm also eyeballing some 1020s on ebay that would be great for photos. Then again, I have a large laptop bag so maybe I should take all three phones (Idol included).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Going on a vacation in LA soon and I'm trying to decide which Windows phone to take. :cool:

I could take my 1520 because it shoots in 4K. And while I could use it for pictures, I'm also eyeballing some 1020s on ebay that would be great for photos. Then again, I have a large laptop bag so maybe I should take all three phones (Idol included).
If you can get a 1020 in enough time before you leave, why not take them all? If not, just go with the Idol and 1520 :) Win win either way. Enjoy!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

If you can get a 1020 in enough time before you leave, why not take them all? If not, just go with the Idol and 1520 :) Win win either way. Enjoy!

There's just something special about taking pictures with a 1020 and a camera grip. Plus it wouldn't be a bad investment since smartphones are just now catching up with it. Plus there are several on there for less than $100.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

There's just something special about taking pictures with a 1020 and a camera grip. Plus it wouldn't be a bad investment since smartphones are just now catching up with it. Plus there are several on there for less than $100.

Ooh, I get why you are tempted. Less than $100 is nuts! I'll take your word for it, I have never had one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The 1020 is one of the very few WPs I've never owned. Probably because I have a 808 so it begs the question, which is better? The 808 soundly trounces the 1520 in low light and I can't think of a better hardware/software combo on Windows, including the 950.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

The 1020 is one of the very few WPs I've never owned. Probably because I have a 808 so it begs the question, which is better? The 808 soundly trounces the 1520 in low light and I can't think of a better hardware/software combo on Windows, including the 950.

I'll buy that 808 off you for 20 bucks. If you really haggle than I'll only pay you $15. :evil:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm also eyeballing some 1020s on ebay that would be great for photos.

I recently picked one up off of Swappa. So very glad I did.

Go for it and then, yes, bring an arsenal with you. Swagger around LaLa Land whipping out various phones to snap pics with. Hire a "phone caddy" while you are at it.

"Greg, I'm thinking I need my 1020 for this long shot." Then hold your hand out imperiously.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I should just admit to myself that I am a secret iOS fan but it's hard. I like it a lot (the simplistic UI, and the whole package of the SE, really) but I kind of hate that they all look the same (each one comes in 3 sizes and 5 colors). As someone who does and can easily overthink, it is nice to use something that doesn't have me thinking about it so much. For that reason, I chose that phone to use as a phone for the whole month of January. So far, I have had an itch to change it once LOL

I love how refreshing different Windows Phone is, along with the many Android choices.

I'm a special snowflake, that's really what this comes down to :grincry:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean. Every so often I rearrange my 1520's start screen because I like to keep it in the ready, lol.

Side note: I pulled the trigger on the 1020 last night. I hope it's in as good of a condition as the seller promised!

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm back. Sent my Pixel phone back yesterday. I have a new 950 so hopefully I won't have the issues that plague me the first time.

Sent from mTalk

I did the same. After trying multiple android phones including the pixel sold all of them and bought a new Lumia 950 on holiday super sale. While pixel and dtek60 are nice phones I cant get used to android..

Why did you return your pixel?

Sent from mTalk

Techno04335

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Why Did I Switch to Android? – The Lost Opinion of a Windows Mobile Fan

Hello Beloved Windows Central Community :smile:,
I switched to Android and I would like to share my opinion from fair software experience comparison from both Windows Mobile 10 and Android 6 Marshmallow, along with its pros and cons of each operating system in my opinion.

**Before get started, I would like to layout a solid foundation to keep everyone in their sane mental state. I am not defending Windows Phone, Android, nor iOS in any matter. I am simply laying out my experience and opinions between both mobile phone operating systems.

I would also like to note that I have and during the period have only been using Windows Phones ever since 2011. Yup – 6 Years (boy does time fly). From Windows Phone 7.0 to Windows Mobile 10 (Developers Preview), you name it.

I have had various low, mid, and high end Windows Phones across my 6-year journey Including: Samsung Omnia W, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 525, Nokia Lumia 635, & finally Microsoft Lumia 640. This will be about software experience, for now we will keep hardware performances out of the software discussion as I would like to focus solely on the software experience.

I was there for Microsoft then and I still am supportive for Microsoft today.

Let’s get started….

Why did I switch?
1. Great Deal on unlocked phone & I needed a change.
I found a great deal on a Sony Xperia X Unlocked Phone. I also I think I have been using Windows Phone for a long time so I think mentally it was time for a change.
2. Windows Mobile 10 is ughhh & App Unreliability
Yes, yes, I know what your thinking, “it works well on my phone”, “seems faster”, “I have never had any issues”. If you are saying these in my opinion you are unfairly being blinded by your personal Windows Phone Attachment. I personally think Windows Mobile 10 had great potential but is a failure software wise. There is no good built in integration, and the app reliability and performance is mediocre. How many times must we see this “resuming” screen. I believe Windows 7 Mango was the best, everything was perfect, integration, speed, multi-tasking. I forever support windows phone but Windows Mobile 10 has had various flaws. I still think even the official release should be a beta and not official.
3. App Gap.
Yes, yes, “Windows Phone has a third-party version app…”, “Snapchat is for losers…”, “We don’t need all these apps”. Well that is not the point… The point is that every individual with a mobile phone utilizes various apps for various reasons. In my case useful apps such as American Airlines, Lyft, Amazon, Gmail, YouTube are very useful. These apps are either not reliable on windows phone due to lack of support or updates, or do not exist.

Android 6 OS Experience?
Overall I can say that I am having great experience with Android OS.
Pros?
-Amazing multi-tasking fluidity, smooth OS, various apps with amazing app support. You can be sure to always get the latest updates asap for a long time. Because apps are being more supported you can expect similar apps that have innovative features that are not available on the Windows Mobile 10 platform at all. Look at Messenger(Android) vs Messenger (Windows Mobile 10). Honestly, it’s a joke…. I was even shocked to realize what I have been missing. Amazon even….
-Better software to battery management features.
-Did I mention that Microsoft Services and Apps, are better on Android? ******************

Cons?
-Too many apps to download even. I surprisingly had a little overwhelm with the vast number of android apps available to download.
-Rare App Crashes (very minor).
Windows Mobile 10 Software Experience?
Pros?
-Amazing Live Tiles, and Start Menu Design.
-Great Lock screen interface and icon designs.
Cons?
-Overall stability and un reliability tarnishes the live tile and start menu design.
-Rare App Crashes (very minor).
-Low App Support
- “Resuming” Screen
-Not many OEM Phone Options…

What Surprised me the most…………….
All Microsoft Services & apps are 100000x better on Android than Windows Mobile 10, in terms of features, performance, looks, and UI. This is seriously unacceptable on Microsoft’s part. Let me list a few….
Outlook, Cortana, Bing, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, LinkedIn, Skype, Skype for Business, Groove Music (use as my music player from expandable microSD)! Honestly if you are a Microsoft fan, I do not see any reason why you do not switch to Android. Microsoft applications are light years ahead on Android (I’m sure the same goes for iOS).
OH, remember HERE MAPS? That is also available on Android with Offline Maps available. I used this app many times throughout my windows phone journey.
What do I as a Dedicated Windows Phone Fan think about the future or Windows Phone?
Windows Phone as a long way to go in the consumer aspect. Although I love their UI, Microsoft needs to be able to improve their app responsiveness, and their own apps on their platform to make it marketable. There are many signs that Microsoft in my opinion has given up on the consumer market.
Hint**
-low to almost nonexistent app support
-Not much support for other OEM vendors anymore.
-Nokia HMD is supportive of ANDROID now.

Expectation of Surface Phone?

Dead for the consumer market. Possible Success in the enterprise business market.
Will I wait on surface phone…? Maybe. I am excited to see what Microsoft should offer with the Surface Phone. Although the surface phone has promising chip set and hardware potential, that does not necessarily mean developers will go producing Windows Universal Apps for Windows 10 Mobile. In fact I predict that the Surface Phone will only be useful in business/enterprise level like the HP Elite 3 with the dock station support.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Please excuse typos It is 2:05AM :asleep:
Thanks, and have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo