04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 189190191192193 ...
tools
    The Android with Zeiss is already confirmed. Dual sensors 13mp
    But apparently not PureView, whatever that means. Still, the new Nokia has my attention, looking forward to seeing the full specs.
    07-19-2017 11:52 PM
    ill think ill give Microsoft till the end of the year to say something, or show something. then ill probably switch if nothing happens with windows phone.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    07-20-2017 01:36 AM
    ill think ill give Microsoft till the end of the year to say something, or show something. then ill probably switch if nothing happens with windows phone.
    I will switch probably next month. Then end right back on a W10M device. No matter how hard I try to make it work on Android or iOS I can't. At some point I need to surrender though and make my life less cumbersome.
    07-20-2017 01:59 AM
    @RumoredNow
    Why would that pattern hold true on the largely camera-centric mobile device? Now on their Android kick, when do you suspect that might happen?
    They did it twice, why not a third time? They like bragging about most MP and Android would give them a chance at:
    1. Recapturing some wandering fans
    2. Capturing some new fans
    3. Selling way more units of "ultimate camera phone" than both of the last two incarnations combined
    4. Making a big PR splash
    libra89, nate0 and aximtreo like this.
    07-20-2017 06:50 AM
    I will switch probably next month. Then end right back on a W10M device. No matter how hard I try to make it work on Android or iOS I can't. At some point I need to surrender though and make my life less cumbersome.
    That is what I did as well. I always came back to W10M (not really an option anymore, now that I am on Sprint). I still prefer it, but I realized that the phone and OS need to be tool and not a hindrance to what you are trying to do. Sadly, I felt that I was putting too much time and effort into finding ways to make W10M work best for me. For now I am using iOS, and even though in the past I have tried it and switched back to W10M, I will be using it for the forseeable future. I will definitely reconsider if/when the next iteration of Windows Phone is released (hopefully with some nice hardware). I do still use and love my Surface Pro, and to that end it is nice that Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 work with all mobile OS.

There are lots of good options available now, and more and more coming out every month. I have finally picked a device, and will stick with it for a while, but the chronic switcher in me is always tempted by the shiny new things. For me the only devices I will consider are first party hardware so at least that limits my interests to iPhones, Pixels, or whatever Microsoft comes up with.
    libra89, Joe920, nate0 and 3 others like this.
    07-20-2017 07:37 AM
    You sound like Pacino in The Godfather 3. Every time I try to get out, they drag me back in.
    07-20-2017 11:37 AM
    I've been on an endless cycle between the 3 of them for the past 7 or 8 years. I wish I could just pick the best parts I like from each one and create a phone also made up from the best features of phones I like to run it on. Can't see that happening anytime soon though...sigh
    Joe920, nate0 and libra89 like this.
    07-20-2017 11:50 AM
    I've been on an endless cycle between the 3 of them for the past 7 or 8 years. I wish I could just pick the best parts I like from each one and create a phone also made up from the best features of phones I like to run it on. Can't see that happening anytime soon though...sigh
    Yep! I'd die to have a Frankenphone device!

Edit: Figuratively speaking of course..
    Last edited by Nate W; 07-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    libra89 and dov1978 like this.
    07-20-2017 12:11 PM
    Yep! I'd die to have a Frankenphone device!

Edit: Figuratively speaking of course..
    Sprint Pre 2 FrankenPre conversion gets pictorial step-by-step, with webOS 2.0 | webOS Nation
    nate0 and mary beth hale like this.
    07-20-2017 05:20 PM
    :)
    Silly webOS'ians, "tricks are for kids".

Had a friend who hacked the G1 installed minimal Debian Linux on it and was able to boot it successfully.
    07-20-2017 05:44 PM
    :)
    Silly webOS'ians, "tricks are for kids".

Had a friend who hacked the G1 installed minimal Debian Linux on it and was able to boot it successfully.
    Hey bud, dems fightn werds.
    07-20-2017 05:50 PM
    Years after Windows Phone and being part of the less than 1%. I just realized, I've never reconsidered another kind of OS as my daily drive. I'd rather... wait for whatever phone Microsoft makes. pheew! Any compromise since day 1? Lets discuss.
    07-20-2017 07:09 PM
    07-20-2017 09:31 PM
    Whoa, I realize that I haven't posted here in a while. I do have an update.

The SE is still one of my favorite phones. My only personal gripe with it is with the front camera. I knew that going into it but coming from an Honor 8 and a Google Pixel (and then going back to the SE) has totally changed how I see that camera. It's hard to go back to dealing with that. I figured that I would just hang with it until it's refreshed. The rumors are too inconsistent about it being refreshed though.

I wanted to try my only small phone option left that is hard to get, like really hard. There was only one seller selling the right one (i.e. the one with US LTE bands) on eBay and once they were out of stock, that was it. I talked myself in and out of trying it for months now. Then just one Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 appeared on Amazon...so I took a leap before I lose the chance forever (since it's rare). I have had it for nearly 4 days now and I'm obsessed.

I haven't had a single gripe. That's enough for me to say that I have already ordered accessories, which is not something that I do since I change my mind SO much.
    07-20-2017 10:02 PM

The SE is still one of my favorite phones. My only personal gripe with it is with the front camera. I knew that going into it but coming from an Honor 8 and a Google Pixel (and then going back to the SE) has totally changed how I see that camera. It's hard to go back to dealing with that. I figured that I would just hang with it until it's refreshed. The rumors are too inconsistent about it being refreshed though.

I wanted to try my only small phone option left that is hard to get, like really hard. There was only one seller selling the right one (i.e. the one with US LTE bands) on eBay and once they were out of stock, that was it. I talked myself in and out of trying it for months now. Then just one Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 appeared on Amazon...so I took a leap before I lose the chance forever (since it's rare). I have had it for nearly 4 days now and I'm obsessed.

I haven't had a single gripe. That's enough for me to say that I have already ordered accessories, which is not something that I do since I change my mind SO much.
    Samsung has really uped the anty on their non-flagship phones in the past year. Even that one has ip68 protection and many other Sammy perks. Just that it's android....:/
    libra89 likes this.
    07-20-2017 11:12 PM
    Samsung has really uped the anty on their non-flagship phones in the past year. Even that one has ip68 protection and many other Sammy perks. Just that it's android....:/
    Yeah it makes for a tricky compromise. This is my first Sammy ever and I get why people like it. There's a lot of features. Funny that you mention the ip68 thing.

Even though the A3 is midrange, it is also water resistant. They did a heck of a job here. It makes me wish that I tried it eariler xd
    nate0 likes this.
    07-20-2017 11:29 PM

Wow I didn't see that coming. I have never looked at that phone too much. Sounds interesting, but I am going to stick with iOS for now. I don't really care about the front facing camera too much, I barely ever use it, but it is something I hope the upgrade if/when they update the SE. Would be great to have the same camera as the 7.

I will have to look at the A3 more, just out of curiousity.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2017 07:36 AM
    Wow I didn't see that coming. I have never looked at that phone too much. Sounds interesting, but I am going to stick with iOS for now. I don't really care about the front facing camera too much, I barely ever use it, but it is something I hope the upgrade if/when they update the SE. Would be great to have the same camera as the 7.

I will have to look at the A3 more, just out of curiousity.
    Haha, I can get why you say that. Since it is kind of rare to get the right version, I have tried to talk myself out of it for months now but a part of me wondered what if this phone is the right fit for me, based on what I heard and read about it. I figured that I should give it a chance.
    I think that if I was like you (when it comes to the front camera), I might have passed on this. I agree about it being nice to have the same camera as the 7 too.

In case you are curious to know, the A3 is 0.11 shorter than the iPhone 7 and slightly narrower (0.03 in) than it so to me, it doesn't feel as big as the iPhone 7 felt to me. It also has slightly more screen too.
    https://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...nes/9815,10330

iOS is good, but for me with how often I use the front camera (at least once a month), it was something to consider for me. The only downfall of the A3 to me is that it is on 6.0.1 (indifferent about it lol) and the 16gb of storage (with microsd storage though too). I feel okay about the 16gb though.
    07-21-2017 08:50 AM

Nice, enjoy! I've never heard of that phone before but it sounds like it offers a lot for the money. Android's midrange phones were always the ones I went after.
    I did the Android thing and am pretty much done with them. Too fragmented, questionable security, and too much data mining. That's where I thing Apple beats them, along with support.

Let us know how it goes!
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2017 04:55 PM
    Nice, enjoy! I've never heard of that phone before but it sounds like it offers a lot for the money. Android's midrange phones were always the ones I went after.
    I did the Android thing and am pretty much done with them. Too fragmented, questionable security, and too much data mining. That's where I thing Apple beats them, along with support.

Let us know how it goes!
    Thank you! So far, I am. I'm loving the battery life.

I agree with you about the support point though. I will share an update when I have one!
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-21-2017 09:08 PM
    I do have a mini update.

So this A3 is pretty cool. The battery life is great, the size is great (not as excellent as the SE but still very nice and better than the other phones I have tried, aside from the X Compact, which is quite taller than the SE but still really small), cameras are nice and performance is good.

The only things concerning for me are 2 things. One is the storage. I said that 16gb was just okay, and I stand by that. It's something to think about, but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker (keep in mind that I have a 16gb iPhone SE as a point of context). The 16gb is really at the forefront of things because my sister made me join WhatsApp and it saves media to your phone. I wish that there was a way to just view media and have the option to save it, over having it take up space automatically.

The other thing is the signal strength. It seems like the radios in it are weak.
    You would think that a glass backed phone will have better signal strength but not in this case. That bothers me a bit since I keep getting that I had a total time of being 5 minutes without a signal since the last charge. Weirdly enough, I haven't noticed a hit in battery life. In fact, I went to sleep with 100% and still woke up with it, which is nuts to me lol.

Aside from that, still enjoying this phone. One handed usage is really nice. I feel like I found a happy medium.
    Guytronic, TgeekB and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-23-2017 02:11 PM
    I do have a mini update.

So this A3 is pretty cool. The battery life is great, the size is great (not as excellent as the SE but still very nice and better than the other phones I have tried, aside from the X Compact, which is quite taller than the SE but still really small), cameras are nice and performance is good.

The only things concerning for me are 2 things. One is the storage. I said that 16gb was just okay, and I stand by that. It's something to think about, but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker (keep in mind that I have a 16gb iPhone SE as a point of context). The 16gb is really at the forefront of things because my sister made me join WhatsApp and it saves media to your phone. I wish that there was a way to just view media and have the option to save it, over having it take up space automatically.

The other thing is the signal strength. It seems like the radios in it are weak.
    You would think that a glass backed phone will have better signal strength but not in this case. That bothers me a bit since I keep getting that I had a total time of being 5 minutes without a signal since the last charge. Weirdly enough, I haven't noticed a hit in battery life. In fact, I went to sleep with 100% and still woke up with it, which is nuts to me lol.

Aside from that, still enjoying this phone. One handed usage is really nice. I feel like I found a happy medium.
    Glad you're enjoying your weekly phone.

Just so you know, Samsungs are notorious for weak radios.
    nate0, libra89, Joe920 and 1 others like this.
    07-23-2017 03:25 PM

Because they pack every sensor known to humankind on their SoCs at the same time.

No really, I'm not positive on that but it seems logical :).

It's antenna placement and managing/boosting the signal strength has everything to do with it. Good battery might explain the weak signal.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-23-2017 03:28 PM

So mean lol!

Hmm, I never knew that. This is my first one ever.

Because they pack every sensor known to humankind on their SoCs at the same time.

No really, I'm not positive on that but it seems logical :).

It's antenna placement and managing/boosting the signal strength has everything to do with it. Good battery might explain the weak signal.
    Hmm, I never thought of that. According to the manual, the antenna is at the bottom. I'm surprised though, considering that usually weak signal means bad battery life.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-23-2017 06:22 PM
    So mean lol!

Hmm, I never knew that. This is my first one ever.

Hmm, I never thought of that. According to the manual, the antenna is at the bottom. I'm surprised though, considering that usually weak signal means bad battery life.
    C'mon baby girl, you know I'm going to be on another phone myself in a week or a few days.
    libra89, TgeekB and aximtreo like this.
    07-23-2017 07:29 PM
5,481 ... 189190191192193 ...