02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 204205206207208 ...
tools
    Gutted, I had planned to replace my Xbox One with an X, forget it MS, I will never buy another MS product or sign up for another MS service.

I will be cancelling our Skype numbers and subscriptions, along with our Xbox Gold accounts and even our Office 365 accounts.

I suppose I don't need to cancel our Groove subscriptions.

I have been a Windows user since Windows 3, an MS DOS user before that, against all advice I used Windows server and have so many MS products (Half of them dead like Surface 2's) and although I am stuck with our Surface Pro's, Xbox Ones and 950 and 950XL for the time being, honestly I am shocked at this.

Stuff Microsoft
    10-02-2017 05:37 PM
    Groove is dying...? Dang that's nuts. Guess I better migrate my songs to OneDrive. This is the only app I use for music. Bummer.
    10-02-2017 10:08 PM
    Yeah, sad day indeed to hear that Groove Music will be no more. This was the final thing to cause me to have to switch to Android. I was (been using Windows mobile since 2005) and still am a big supporter of MS products and will probably return once they figure out what they want to do regarding phones or mobile devices in general.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2017 10:35 PM
    More reviews have dropped (not any from the people I mentioned yet but it is Pixel day tomorrow so that's to be expected) and they are all saying the same things. I couldn't wait so I'm sold. I bought one.

I went for a reasonable deal. Some of you might be disappointed but I decided to do it for a reason. I see that like my favorite retailer, I am able to return it within the US for a year if I have any issues that need to be fixed. That is important to me, because most of the time, you run that risk when buying a model outside of the market. These people also have great ratings as well.
    aximtreo and RumoredNow like this.
    10-03-2017 11:20 AM
    More reviews have dropped (not any from the people I mentioned yet but it is Pixel day tomorrow so that's to be expected) and they are all saying the same things. I couldn't wait so I'm sold. I bought one.

I went for a reasonable deal. Some of you might be disappointed but I decided to do it for a reason. I see that like my favorite retailer, I am able to return it within the US for a year if I have any issues that need to be fixed. That is important to me, because most of the time, you run that risk when buying a model outside of the market. These people also have great ratings as well.
    Can't wait to hear your unbiased opinion. Care to share which retailer it is that get's your trust?
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-03-2017 01:36 PM
    Can't wait to hear your unbiased opinion. Care to share which retailer it is that get's your trust?
    Sure and thanks.

B&H Photo Video is the one. 30 day returns, no restocking fee and depending on location, you can get your order in 1-3 days without additional cost. 1 year warranty on any phone bought from them.

The one I bought from is an eBay seller.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-03-2017 03:31 PM
    So I'm back again with a migration question, obviously as my patronage is no longer wanted by Microsoft....

Two questions: First, I'm really not a fan of googles data mining but for my needs I think it will be a better fit over iOS so i wonder how much of google I can avoid on an android phone? I will use edge, Cortana and outlook, maybe Skype. Already have a dummy gmail account for the store, anything else i can do to limit google tracking, via settings and built in controls?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a phone comparable to the Lumia 1520, with stock android, qi charging, glance (always on), headphone jack, storage card and double TTW? And from a manufacturer who's good with updates? Thanks.

Sent from mTalk
    Scienceguy Labs and aximtreo like this.
    10-05-2017 04:12 PM
    Never thought I'd be posting in this thread but i started my research today. Listened to three episodes of Android Central and they have all kinds of issues. Lol i thought MS fans had it rough. Anyways, i will probably be switching by end of this year.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
    Laura Knotek, aximtreo and HeyCori like this.
    10-05-2017 06:00 PM
    Anyways, i will probably be switching by end of this year.
    Just sayin'... https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

You get a pretty good look at the gesture driven, live covers nature of Sailfish in this comparison video.

10-05-2017 07:19 PM
    Just sayin'... https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

You get a pretty good look at the gesture driven, live covers nature of Sailfish in this comparison video.
    And miss out on what Andromeda might be? Never!!!
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-05-2017 07:54 PM
    And miss out on what Andromeda might be? Never!!!
    Well etphoto is another webOS expat so Sailfish X might resonate with him.
    10-06-2017 08:19 AM
    Well etphoto is another webOS expat so Sailfish X might resonate with him.
    Let's grab @xandros9 and @aximtreo. We'll be the charter members of the webOS/Windows Lonely Hearts Club Band at the new Sailfish Central wing of MoNa.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    10-06-2017 07:11 PM
    Let's grab @xandros9 and @aximtreo. We'll be the charter members of the webOS/Windows Lonely Hearts Club Band at the new Sailfish Central wing of MoNa.

OK, but I got dibs on being Ringo.
    10-07-2017 09:02 AM
    So I'm back again with a migration question, obviously as my patronage is no longer wanted by Microsoft....

Two questions: First, I'm really not a fan of googles data mining but for my needs I think it will be a better fit over iOS so i wonder how much of google I can avoid on an android phone? I will use edge, Cortana and outlook, maybe Skype. Already have a dummy gmail account for the store, anything else i can do to limit google tracking, via settings and built in controls?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a phone comparable to the Lumia 1520, with stock android, qi charging, glance (always on), headphone jack, storage card and double TTW? And from a manufacturer who's good with updates? Thanks.

Sent from mTalk
    LG V30 fits all your needs except for stock Android. LG's skin is dang close though. I am moving from a 1520 also and am picking it up soon.

I used all Microsoft products, other than the store, on my Nexus 6 without issue several months ago. I'm sure the apps have only got better since then.
    10-07-2017 10:03 AM

Sign me up! Last time the dealbreaker was quirks and no Exchange on the phone I tried, but I've moved around a bit since so maybe I should start keeping an eye out for a gadget running it again.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2017 10:27 AM
    Last time the dealbreaker was quirks and no Exchange on the phone I tried
    So far we are looking at quirks: no Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth is wonky and no step counter. These things are slated for ongoing work.

Microsoft Exchange will work with a download from the Jolla store.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-07-2017 10:33 AM
    So far we are looking at quirks: no Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth is wonky and no step counter. These things are slated for ongoing work.

Microsoft Exchange will work with a download from the Jolla store.
    Apparently Exchange is manufacturer specific because of some licensing need, so I know its a thing but it didn't help the Turing Phone - it did have an alright fingerprint scanner though, not quite first-gen Touch ID caliber, but certainly capable.
    Laura Knotek and RumoredNow like this.
    10-07-2017 10:46 AM
    LG V30 fits all your needs except for stock Android. LG's skin is dang close though. I am moving from a 1520 also and am picking it up soon.

I used all Microsoft products, other than the store, on my Nexus 6 without issue several months ago. I'm sure the apps have only got better since then.
    Thanks. Funny enough my research had pointed me in that direction as well, also the G6 seems would also be a good option, has an older CPU but goes for significantly less at the moment. Unfortunately only carrier versions of the V30 have been released so far so I'll have to wait a bit to buy one.

Sent from mTalk
    dgr_874 likes this.
    10-07-2017 12:22 PM
    Apparently Exchange is manufacturer specific because of some licensing need, so I know its a thing but it didn't help the Turing Phone - it did have an alright fingerprint scanner though, not quite first-gen Touch ID caliber, but certainly capable.
    Well back then who needed Exchange when that phone can be ran over by an Excavator and survive (atleast once)...Wait a minute when was the last time I laid next to an excavator?
    10-07-2017 07:33 PM
    10-07-2017 07:36 PM
    So I decided to try out Microsoft's Arrow Launcher. Gotta say, I really like it a lot. It adds more functionality than the OneTouch launcher that came with the phone. It also appears to be much faster. The cards have a touch of fluent design look very nice. Plus I like being able to resize app icons as smaller icons look less cartoony to me. Arrow Hub works well, though I've only tested it with images. I probably won't use it over Pushbullet though, since Pushbullet has extensions for Firefox/Chrome and a third party extension on Edge. However, I'm definitely going to install Edge once it's available for Android. (unless it sucks lol).

The only downside - Arrow Launcher killed double tap to sleep. -_-

Edit: D'oh! Double tap to sleep now shows up in the Arrow settings menu under gestures.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 10-08-2017 at 01:05 AM.
    10-08-2017 12:52 AM
    So I decided to try out Microsoft's Arrow Launcher. Gotta say, I really like it a lot. It adds more functionality than the OneTouch launcher that came with the phone. It also appears to be much faster. The cards have a touch of fluent design look very nice. Plus I like being able to resize app icons as smaller icons look less cartoony to me. Arrow Hub works well, though I've only tested it with images. I probably won't use it over Pushbullet though, since Pushbullet has extensions for Firefox/Chrome and a third party extension on Edge. However, I'm definitely going to install Edge once it's available for Android. (unless it sucks lol).

The only downside - Arrow Launcher killed double tap to sleep. -_-

Edit: D'oh! Double tap to sleep now shows up in the Arrow settings menu under gestures.
    I never got around to trying it when it was Arrow Launcher and whichever ones I did try I still always ended up back with Nova Launcher very shortly afterwards. I installed Microsoft Launcher a few days ago after seeing it getting upgraded and I'm loving it. I've absolutely no urge to go back to Nova any time soon either. The utility page is fantastic too and it's VERY similar to iPhone's widget page that also swipes in from left of the homepage but it works better and it's great that you can add your own widgets in there too. My favourite feature is actually one of its most simplist. Swiping the dock up to reveal another row of apps. I keep all my commonly used tools in there like calculator, settings and TV remotes.
    HeyCori, aximtreo, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    10-08-2017 05:19 AM

Sent from mTalk
    I'd go with an LG for all those features, G6 or V30.
    Maybe even wait for the Nokia 9 which should have all those features but with near to stock Android and lightening fast updates
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-2017 05:22 AM
    I'd go with an LG for all those features, G6 or V30.
    Maybe even wait for the Nokia 9 which should have all those features but with near to stock Android and lightening fast updates
    Is there actually going to be a 9 though? Didn't find anything concrete when I searched (bing). Plus I wonder if they too will jump on the no headphone jack bandwagon like some other OEMs.

Sent from mTalk
    10-08-2017 09:48 AM
    @theefman

It is mostly rumor right now, but they all point to a device at some point. Nokia is not done yet, so it is inevitable anyway that another flagship grade phone comes. The headphone jack thing though, could happen. You might take to their twitter page if you can to get that answered. They already opened up to say they would be willing to unlock the boot loaders, so that is only a matter of time.

https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-9/
    Here you see a glass panel leaked -- actual hardware so it could be close by.
    mark233, theefman and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-08-2017 10:19 AM
5,457 ... 204205206207208 ...