Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's a shame. What is the hollow SIM issue? So are you selling the Pixel now?

I am going to use the SE for a little while too. I might put the beta for Android O on my Pixel and see how that goes. It seems like a small update though with not too much exciting (at least to me, though I do like the notification "dots"). Of course I will probably miss W10M and come back to my 950 at some point too. I should give myself a date where I"m not allowed to switch until that time, but I'm weak, and having all 3 phones up and running makes it even harder.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Done with Windows Central and Windows phones

great response....It all makes sense; as much as I (consumer) want a new windows 10 phone, only IOS and Android are able to put out those devices as things are right now.

Original poster is busy launching millions of apps on his iphone.....we lost another good one :)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

great response....It all makes sense; as much as I (consumer) want a new windows 10 phone, only IOS and Android are able to put out those devices as things are right now.

Original poster is busy launching millions of apps on his iphone.....we lost another good one :)

Actually I think windows 10m could use a new phone.

Installed userbase is ~2.5% but quarterly sales have dipped to ~0.5%. The nokias are two years old, and the alcatel is US only (will be going to Europe, but isn't yet), and the HP is too expensive. In order to sell phones to those current users, you need something fresh (even though the 950 is a great phone, marketing splash depends on "new", you can see that with the last surface, its sales were dipping and it was very popular).

So we need a reasonably priced flagship, and a new midrange really. Or at least global 4s pro.
Probably MS can't really release a phone its own, it needs to hone the platform first.

A 4s refresh, or a wiley fox phone would probably up quarterly marketshare given the userbase isn't as bad as people make out.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

a lot of the tech world is based around mobile devices and a lot of people believe Microsoft is close to delivering that next game changer like they have with the surface lineup. This website won't go away as they have such a diversified portfolio of offerings that theres always going to be something to talk about.

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site

I often wonder what's going on, psychologically, when persons feel an irresistible compunction to post, on a Windows-centric site, that they have left the platform and are prophesying the demise of the site. Could it be a bad case of Buyers Remorse at play?....a desperate attempt to banish dissonance and reestablish coherence?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What is the hollow SIM issue?
@libra89 I'm curious about this too. I do recall you mentioning something about SIM card issues awhile ago, but I do not remember the details.

Which carrier are you using? I'm on Verizon, and I've swapped my SIM card between factory unlocked devices for more than two years on both iOS and Android, and I've never had a single issue. In fact, once I got my account activated, I've never even gotten a new SIM card (at least not that I recall). I believe I have the same nano SIM card from sometime around October 2014.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I'd love an affordable new Windows phone too but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Luckily my almost 3 year old L830 still does everything I need and the Windows Central community has been here to help out a number of times when I had problems I couldn't sort out myself. I don't have a tablet, laptop or desktop computer so Yes, most of the content here has no appeal for me. And Yes, when I read all the stuff from the trolls and whingers I agree with some of it and laugh out loud at the rest. So Windows Central is both useful and entertaining for me. I hope mikepalma enjoys his iPhone but keeps coming back to the forums occasionally to stir things up.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Yes, I'd love an affordable new Windows phone too but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Luckily my almost 3 year old L830 still does everything I need and the Windows Central community has been here to help out a number of times when I had problems I couldn't sort out myself. I don't have a tablet, laptop or desktop computer so Yes, most of the content here has no appeal for me. And Yes, when I read all the stuff from the trolls and whingers I agree with some of it and laugh out loud at the rest. So Windows Central is both useful and entertaining for me. I hope mikepalma enjoys his iPhone but keeps coming back to the forums occasionally to stir things up.

Wileyfox and a Windows 10 Mobile smartphone by Q3

Might not come with compatible frequencies, but there's this.

And there's also this:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/coship-...dows-10-mobile-device-that-dual-boots-android

Although it doesn't have a release date, so don't think that's carved in stone, and we don't know about price.

If your outside the US, there's a European version of the 4s pro coming there, although its still a little pricey.

You can also get cheapish refurbished lumias from aliexpress. That's where I ordered mine from (a 950, for approx. 205 usd).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's a shame. What is the hollow SIM issue? So are you selling the Pixel now?

I am going to use the SE for a little while too. I might put the beta for Android O on my Pixel and see how that goes. It seems like a small update though with not too much exciting (at least to me, though I do like the notification "dots"). Of course I will probably miss W10M and come back to my 950 at some point too. I should give myself a date where I"m not allowed to switch until that time, but I'm weak, and having all 3 phones up and running makes it even harder.
I get the struggle lol. The only reason why my Windows phone isn't used as a phone is because it has the least amount of battery life in comparison to all of my phones. I'm curious how the SE will go for you.

Yep, I will be selling it. It doesn't happen all the time and it's not as annoying as the mic issue was but I really just want a phone that works for the basic stuff. Not being able to make a call every now and then is a basic fail.

@libra89 I'm curious about this too. I do recall you mentioning something about SIM card issues awhile ago, but I do not remember the details.

Which carrier are you using? I'm on Verizon, and I've swapped my SIM card between factory unlocked devices for more than two years on both iOS and Android, and I've never had a single issue. In fact, once I got my account activated, I've never even gotten a new SIM card (at least not that I recall). I believe I have the same nano SIM card from sometime around October 2014.

Nice! That sounds awesome to me. I'm using T-Mobile.

There's a thread about the hollow sim issue here: LTE issue in Pixel - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

It seems like it isn't carrier dependent.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hadn't seen that. Looks bad! I don't have a Pixel though so I wasn't following them.

I had heard of people having SIM card issues when switching between iPhone and Android. I knew you do that and thought maybe that was the problem.

Yeah it is annoying. That's true but I usually leave iMessage and FaceTime off all the time. This only seems to happen on LTE for me too.

I might be changing carriers anyway but sadly, it seems like this is just how it is, regardless. Too many Pixels are varied. I would be lying if I didn't say that I am considering buying a new Pixel from the Google Store directly since they are all in stock apparently (for once!)

This is such a first world problem, but I'm like obsessed with the Pixel cameras.

wdschroeder

May 23, 2017
Visit site

I'm going to offer in my two cents, both as a level-headed person, and a slightly frustrated user of a Windows phone. I have owned various iPhone's over the past few years, and I have very little negative things to say about those phones, and the overall operating atmosphere of iOS. They just work, plain and simple. I rely heavily on my phone for daily tasks, and I am always confident that when I unlock my iPhone 6, it is going to work...

On the other end of the spectrum, the company I work for provides its employees with Windows phones. I just recently switched from an HTC One M8 to the Nokia Lumia 950. Prior to these, I got my feet wet with older Windows phones (low-end phones). I also had Android phones, although it's been years since I've owned one. As someone who has kept both an iPhone, and a Windows phone together in my pocket everywhere I go over the past 3 years, I can guarantee you that my first choice when performing ANY task with a phone will be to use my iPhone. It just works better, in literally every way (for my tasks, of course yours might be different). Admittedly I haven't had to deal with Apple customer service yet, frankly because I have had zero issues with my iPhone's over the years. But with Windows, I have had to deal with their customer service so many times for their mobile devices that I couldn't even count... In addition, their customer service system/representatives seem very slow and incapable of handling the issues I've had to reach out for.

All of this being said, I can completely understand the OP lashing out like he/she has done here because when you spend literal hours (sometimes days) trying to communicate your issue to a Microsoft technical support person just to be spun in a circle with no solution, it can be very frustrating. That being said, in my case, I have no choice but to use a Windows phone for work-related tasks as that is what my company issues to us. It just blows my mind that they don't give us iPhone's, or at least the option to choose in iPhone instead if you don't require the Windows-related features of a Windows phone (that from my experience thus-far rarely work properly).

There's my rant.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

While we all know the phone market is important; Windows Central is a better site by focusing on a wider range of products. Tech sites be like, "Look at those slim bezels! The camera is so amazing! Spectacular idea putting the finger print scanner on the back!" Enough already! I'm so tired of reading these rinse-and-repeat articles about the latest minor improvements in phone tech.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

After getting an iPhone and realize the absolute crapware that I have been toiling with w10m, I see no reason to check windows central. Dan and others may profess to disagree, but the tech world is really all about phones. This website will disappear over time. Wishful thinking won't change that...

If webOS Nation can still be around today with active participation, this site's in good shape. Besides, this site is more than just phones, hence the name "Windows" Central. As in all things Windows - including PC, software and XBox. Thanks for playing, we'll try to keep the sand out of our ears.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That being said, in my case, I have no choice but to use a Windows phone for work-related tasks as that is what my company issues to us. It just blows my mind that they don't give us iPhone's, or at least the option to choose in iPhone instead if you don't require the Windows-related features of a Windows phone (that from my experience thus-far rarely work properly).
Your company knows, and understands, that there are no consumer-friendly apps on Windows so they do this to keep you focused exclusively on your work. Anybody here knows I'm a Windows fan but we need to keep it real y'all.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Your company knows, and understands, that there are no consumer-friendly apps on Windows so they do this to keep you focused exclusively on your work. Anybody here knows I'm a Windows fan but we need to keep it real y'all.

This is spot on in many cases including my work. We only get Lumia's at the moment too. Lower end ones at that eg 435, 550, and 650. The fact they're probably selling off remaining stock at a nice cheap price too will be attracting companies

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

After getting an iPhone and realize the absolute crapware that I have been toiling with w10m, I see no reason to check windows central. Dan and others may profess to disagree, but the tech world is really all about phones. This website will disappear over time. Wishful thinking won't change that...

But they also cover Xbox

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
First full day with the SE, it used 33% battery by the end of my work day, compare that to my pixel using 40-50% and 950 using 60-80%. It does seem to charge more slowly than the Pixel or even the 6S I had prior. With those I basically got 1%/minute from my 2.1A charger in my car.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
First full day with the SE, it used 33% battery by the end of my work day, compare that to my pixel using 40-50% and 950 using 60-80%. It does seem to charge more slowly than the Pixel or even the 6S I had prior. With those I basically got 1%/minute from my 2.1A charger in my car.

Hmm interesting. Yeah it does charge slower for sure but at least the battery is smaller so it shouldn't take forever. Thanks for sharing, I'll be looking forward to your updates.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I did get a new SIM after all yesterday and it didn't do anything for the Pixel. I'm done with the Pixel, but on the flip side, visual voicemail works for the first time since almost a year ago on my SE. MMS also seems to send (and receive) faster too. The SE is going to be my phone again. Funny how I keep coming back full circle to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3