04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    Lets start by saying I have been a devout WP evangelist in Edmonton for the last 2 years since I bought my phone. However, now that my phone renewal date is coming closer I am feeling more inclined to purchase a devise other than a windows phone:

1. Firstly, WP (Nokia) needs to drop its proprietary arrangement with specific service providers. In Canada, there is only Telus, Rogers and Bell. If you are with Bell, you will not be offered the best WP experience because you cannot purchase a Nokia device. Moreover, the most current device in Canada is the 1020, which is well over a year old and has a fraction of the specs of current Android devices. This needs to change.

2. Microsoft is so slow to offer updates like 8.1. I'm tired of waiting, not to mention that I have heard that Cortana is not even coming to Canada because she does not speak Quebec's mother tongue. So how long do I have to wait for that.....2 more years. forget it.

3. Microsoft continues to offer its best services to IOS and Android anyway. Have you noticed that MS continues to open up its best products (Word, Excel, Xbox music, OneDrive and now Cortana) to these ecosystems, without any thought to the impact this is going to have on Windows Phone as a unique device? I have the feeling that if windows phone does not pick up steam, their plan is to drop the phone and become a services company.

4. Apps. I'm not sure I need to say more besides the fact that I'm tired of using 3rd party apps. Its clear that IOS and Android get a superior experience with their apps. Specifically, I'm very jealous of the Flickr and Instragram apps on other devices.

I'm beginning to feel that if I can get the best of MS services, with uncompromised apps, on a superior device......I think I may have to switch. Does anyone else feel the same way?
    Petephone likes this.
    06-15-2014 07:57 PM
    Hey all...This is something that I really don't want to do, but I want a phablet so bad and I am not leaving T-mobile and I don't want to sacrifice LTE service by buying direct - I pay for that service and I can't afford to pay like 600+ for RM-938

Really disappointed that MSFT can't get more WPs to T-Mobile and I have had a Windows Phone since the HTC HD7!

The reason I want a phablet is the primary reason I use my phone: media! I watch Netflix and Hulu+ all the time on my phone, especially at the airport and on the plane (saved content). I would even get a SAMSUNG windows phone if I had to and I hate Samsung :(

I have heard rumors of a newer Windows phone coming in Q4, I can switch every 6/mo with T-mobile, so if I switch now I can switch back in December if something better comes along...

I did come here for a reason though: anyone heard anything about T-mobile getting a windows phablet?
    06-18-2014 11:05 PM
    Kind of strange that you want to leave just for a phablet if you seem to love the os.

If I was in your shoes, I would stick with the os and just get the 1520. Vs getting a whole nother os just to say I own a phablet.

But too each their own I suppose lol

Idk if it is a phablet but I do know a Lumia is coming to Verizon, tmo and att later this year. So maybe it's the one you're talking about.
    06-18-2014 11:15 PM
    I have a Windows Phone since the first day, starting with the HTC Mozart and it's amoled screen. Today, I have a Nokia 1020, and I'm selling for a nice looking phone as the Lumia 925 is... But for the same price, I'll get a Moto X.

I'm so tired of the app gap. The wp os was really stunning with wp7.5, but right now this os is at least 2 years late behind Ios and Android.

Android and iOs have the same services as OneDrive and OneNote, the only thing I know I'll miss is the flat look and the unique design WP7 started few years ago.
    06-23-2014 09:38 AM
    Android - because of Microsoft's US first /only behaviour
    Dantekai14 and Sonu K like this.
    06-26-2014 11:40 PM
    I switched from the Nokia xpress music 5800( which I used for 5 years) to lumia1520.
    So far enjoying the fresh windowsphone 8 experience. During my days with 5800 I enjoyed it though. It satisfied all my basic needs. Just want to switch to something big especially seeing everyone with a 5" phone
    06-26-2014 11:52 PM
    Android - because of Microsoft's US first /only behaviour
    Me too.
    Same reason every services of MS is USA centric. They are mostly for US only.
    Well MS just realised now that they need to improve other countries services too but it will take very long time.

Better to switch which offer better.
    I am also moving.
    Just waiting for new Nexus.
    06-26-2014 11:55 PM
    Its been three days since I ended my affair with Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 920). I hadnt even planned on buying a new phone. I went to the AT&T store with my family to help them switch plans so that we could all enjoy more data for a much lower cost. After running the numbers with the sales associate it was proven to me that my wife and I could get new phones for just $3 more a month than what we were currently paying.

When the sales associated asked me which phone I wanted, I asked her what the hottest non-Apple phone was. She said, The Galaxy S5.

I walked over to the display and picked it up to see what the competition had created. I placed my WP8 next to it to size it up. It looked good. I had to admit it.

Feeling guilty, I walked over to the WP display and looked at the new WP8 line-up. From the outside it didnt look like much had changed. I knew that the new 8.1 update was on the way, but I kept asking myself if that was really going to change anything?

My wife walked over to me and tried to talk me into an iPhone 5S. Ironically, her pestering made me think more and more about my two year departure from Android.

Originally I left Android because I felt like the platform was becoming too open for its own good. I had installed several mediocre apps and over time the performance of the phone seemed to wane. Cleaning and repairing the software felt too much like maintaining another pc. I wanted a phone that just worked. So when I came across WP8, it had real appeal.

Truth be told I was content with the WP8 for the last two years. I had convinced myself that the lack of apps didnt matter. I was really only upset about MyFitnessPal, which became useless after an update nearly 9 months ago, and the lack of my banks app. Other than that, I felt like I had all that I neededor so I thought.

So what did you decide? the sales associate asked.

As I stood there, feeling guilty, my gut told me to make the switch. I will take the S5 Active, I said.

Several hours passed before I was able to actually sit down with my new phone, and then several more hours passed before I could stop myself from using it. It didnt take long for me to come to a serious conclusionthe Windows Phone platform is dead in the water. After a few hours with the mature Android platform it became crystal clear that WP is light years behind in every way imaginable.

Forget the fact that I now have access to all of the apps that I could ever want. Android has matured and developers have thrived and it shows. With multicore processors and years of app development now behind it, using Android feels like a guilty pleasure.

The apps on Android (that are also available on WP) are much, much better in design and function. The graphics are stunning and navigation is intuitive. I did not have to learn Android logic to easily navigate and customize my apps. It became more and more clear to me that they way WP apps are laid out is overly restrictive. A platform that once seems intuitive is now a heavy anchor holding the platform back.

WP wants me to navigate only one way, it wants me to access tweaks in a specific manner, and it wants to present visual information in a fixed format. In doing so, I now see that the platform for what it is and why app makers resist it. Plain and simple, it forces app makers to work within a fixed logic, not the best or even the most creative logic. This alone stifles innovation. It places chains on creativity and limits possibilities.

In short, I am glad that I made the switch. Freedom. That is what it feels like using the Galaxy S5 after two years with the WP. I tried to support the platform, I really did (I even have W8 on my desktop and a Surface Pro 2hell I have a Zune HD!). But now I see the writing on the wall. The WP is a failure because of its software, and at this point there is nothing it can do.
    07-03-2014 10:04 PM
    id get a note 3 if wp didn't exist.
    07-03-2014 10:44 PM
    07-03-2014 10:51 PM
    Rob A pretty much sums up where I am at. I'll keep an eye on WP as I go through phones maybe every 9 months or so, but right now I think the cost benefit for people familiar with Android isn't compelling to stay on WP. I will however try and keep plugged into MS services like Bing, OneDrive, and others. I may be back who knows. I totally get the "guilty pleasure feeling" Rob A is talking about.
    07-06-2014 07:10 PM
    I am on the tip of switching to iOS.
    Why? Apps quality.

I have been a WP8 user for almost 1.5 years now. It has come a long way since then but still has a lot of work on the app gap and quality.

While I love the 1020's camera; I can't stand how buggy Twitter is, as well as Vine, Tumblr, Instagram (BETA), you name it.

Recently purchased an iPod touch to pilot my shift and honestly, it just works. Not that my phone doesn't; I'm just unsatisfied.
    07-06-2014 07:29 PM
    I've been with WP for almost two years now and recently my 820 fell to the pavement and cracked its screen so I'm looking for a replacement....and the trouble is: there doesn't seem to be one.

The only three high-end options seem to be the 1520, the 1020 and the 930 (which has been "coming soon" since forever), unless you also want to consider phones from over a year ago!

The worst part is some of these "flapships" seem to lose features I already have on my two year old 820:
    930 doesn't have glance and the 1020 doesn't have wireless charging. And the 1520 is a phablet - not a phone. If there were a "mini" 1520 with a 4.5-5 inch screen I'd consider it, but there isn't.

Simply put, there isn't much of a choice for someone looking to upgrade their WP device.

I love SONY phones for their aesthetics, and if they did WP I'd buy it in a heart beat. But sadly they don't, and with Microsoft/Nokia launching only one "flagship" every 18 months or so, I'm gonna have to say No to WP and move to Android.
    07-07-2014 04:45 AM
    Is there a reason that a lot of people switching from WP don't even consider iphone? It works well with MS services and it has the better App Store.
    07-10-2014 05:49 PM
    Is there a reason that a lot of people switching from WP don't even consider iphone? It works well with MS services and it has the better App Store.

The tiny size and the need for iTunes (bloated, memory hog on Windows) are the reasons I wouldn't consider iPhone. The iPhone 6 should be bigger, but the need for iTunes still exists.
    07-10-2014 06:08 PM
    Been a loyal Microsoft fan since I was like 7 years old. Always upgraded to the latest OS once it was released, got a surface pro 2, windows phone, use all the skydrive/onedrive features and all that jazz, however I'm probably gonna be moving to an iPhone 5S shortly. You may ask why - well i'm getting really tired of the app gap and how companies constantly screw us around, take Spotify, Tinder, Google, and even something as simple as Facebook - it isn't officially available. Instead we have to use Microsoft's FB app. I'm also getting sick of how Microsoft isn't focusing much effort onto Windows Phone. They don't give us updates very often, nor listen to their customers terribly much. Don't even get me started on promotion, I have never seen a Windows Phone ad. Much smaller issue, i've also found that WP gets incredibly laggy after about 6 months of using it, at which point you need to do a hard reset to restore the speed of the phone - don't know if this is just me, but i don't find it as 'smooth' as everyone cuts it out to be.

I'm still going to be keeping my WP8 device of course, I love to make apps for WP in my spare time, and talk to Cortana, however it won't be my daily driver anymore. Feel free to call me out on any of my points above, its entirely my opinion, and i'm open to discussion here if you feel differently or want to change my mind.
    07-11-2014 09:09 PM
    Had a long run with windows phone since July 2013 and I have already purchased my next phone which is running Android (CyanogenMod 11S) the phone is the OnePlus One which I recieved an invite for. I am quite annoyed that windows phone doesnt meet up to my expectations because of the lack of apps, notifications come through too late etc...

Didn't want to make it too long for you guys.

P.S: I do NOT have any invites.

Warbird2017 likes this.
    07-18-2014 12:40 PM
    The tiny size and the need for iTunes (bloated, memory hog on Windows) are the reasons I wouldn't consider iPhone. The iPhone 6 should be bigger, but the need for iTunes still exists.
    And the iPhone has no back button... you have to press home then go back into whatever you were doing, but on the previous step - instead of just going straight back to it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-2014 12:51 PM
    I bought my first smartphone 3 months ago. My first smartphone ever. Granted that I never owned one but I researched them a lot and I played with them everyday from my friends. And I tried a lot of them, except a Windows phone. No one had a Windows phone but I was very interested in it. So my thoughts at the time were somewhat like this:

Android - Tons and tons of features, tons and tons of apps. You can do everything on those things. But with time they get laggy, and buggy and you have to be carefull because the phone is very unsafe. And the OS updates have a low support time. I had to buy a top of the line which is way too expensive for me to get support for a few years. So Android was a dealbreaker for me

iOS - Beautiful, easy to use, lots of apps, very secure. They are really well made and well thought out. But they are also all top of the line. Any decent iPhone is too expensive. I don't want to spend 500€ or more on a phone. But if people have that kind of Money to spend on a phone go ahead, iPhone is a good choice, no doubt.

Windows Phone - It was really interesting. It had way less features than the other 2 OS's and way less apps. But I could see where it was going and I could see greatness in it.

So I didn't buy anyone until 3 months ago because no one met my needs/budget. Until Windows Phone 8.1 was announced. I loved it. I watch the BUILD and I decided that was the phone for me. And all my predictions that the phone will be great are becoming true. I get that people are tired now because they had an incomplete phone for some years. Because they bought one at the wrong time. I believe that I bought mine just at the right time. I have the Developer Preview and I absolutly love it. And once a month I get news from here that really excites me and shows a future in this phone. Like the bi-weekly updates to the xBox Music and Cortana. And the new lockscreen. And Windows phone 9 with maybe interactive live tiles next year, and so on and so forth. I have close to no doubts that I will ever regret buying this phone. With other OS's I would get excited once a year. Windows Phone is progressing good and with speed.
    JamesPTao, Tjarren and jomarr like this.
    07-18-2014 04:59 PM
    I got the LG G3 on July 11 for AT&T. I researched that phone for awhile and I realized it was the best phone to go to if I ever was to leave Windows Phone. It has almost everything I love about WP (double tap to wake screen, great camera app, shortcut to camera when phone is locked, etc.) and the good things of Android all on 1 device that is beautifully designed with a 2K screen. In 2 years, I know Windows Phone will be much more mature. I started with a Samsung Focus to Lumia 900 to Lumia 920 with 8.1. I'll let Windows Phone expand and grow while I enjoy an already very matured OS for awhile.

I really miss 6tag tho and having my favorite pictures show on my start screen. =(
    Maonsie and deezus like this.
    07-21-2014 12:15 AM
    I see no reason, I ditched the icon for the 5s a week ago. I'd never go back to that buggy, ugly *** mess called android. When I went to get my 5s, I briefly considered android .......until I used it for 30 seconds.... that was enough for me, it looks and functions much better than it used too, however, I can still see androids ugly *** underneath all those OEM skins. iphone all the way for me, imo its miles better in every way possible than the other platforms, BUT I still don't like iTunes......
    07-28-2014 02:08 PM
    I see no reason, I ditched the icon for the 5s a week ago. I'd never go back to that buggy, ugly *** mess called android. When I went to get my 5s, I briefly considered android .......until I used it for 30 seconds.... that was enough for me, it looks and functions much better than it used too, however, I can still see androids ugly *** underneath all those OEM skins. iphone all the way for me, imo its miles better in every way possible than the other platforms, BUT I still don't like iTunes......
    I agree with everything you said except iTunes > xbox music, xbox music is a clusterfu%#.

I also owned an LG G2, worst decision ever... I couldn't believe how much lag my phone had and how outlook.com app sucked. iPhone apps are much better than the android counter parts and of course windows phone as they are non existent
    07-28-2014 06:22 PM
    I agree with everything you said except iTunes > xbox music, xbox music is a clusterfu%#.

I also owned an LG G2, worst decision ever... I couldn't believe how much lag my phone had and how outlook.com app sucked. iPhone apps are much better than the android counter parts and of course windows phone as they are non existent
    I feel your pain, the last android I had was a gs3. Biggest piece of shi* ever, I like wp ,but for me ios is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    07-29-2014 11:40 AM
    So after 6 1/2 years as a subscriber to Zune and the last 3 with Xbox music my patience has run out. Let me explain what happened, I have 2 lines at ATT as well as a tablet(2520) and recently decided to slowly move my service to Verizon for better rural reception, I live in California and I go up and down 101 camping and stuff. So, as a loyal but, angry, windows guy I decided to get the Icon so I went to Verizon in Citrus Heights,ca., and got a white one, great piece of hardware btw. During the purchase a salesman ask me why I was getting a windows phone and after I told him he told me he always steers people away from WP because it is hard to use and has no apps. I just listened. So I got the phone and then went back to another store in Folsom to port number where they didn't even have an icon on display stating there was no room for it. So I got to thinking, why am I sticking to WP? They don't listen to THIER customers especially concerning Zune, which is one of the main reasons I went to windows phone, you see, I was stupid enough to believe they were gonna take everything I loved about Zune software and just rename it to Xbox music. I got to thinking I'm reinvesting for another 2 years into an OS and a company whose own music app barely gets 2 stars! A company who said they were listening and we gonna add the features you guys want we care, and then preceded to release update after update that were nothing more than "Bug Fixes" and then big news, KIDS CORNER!!! GET OUT OF HERE.... So a few days past and I thought on these things.... so 3 days ago I exchanged my Icon for an LG G3. Is it perfect, yes because I have all the MS services and amazon music, Google music, ahh finally cloud storage and Xbox music. And you know what I'm starting to see? Almost every MS app and service is better on Android and that's a fact. That's also sad for people like me who bought into your o's and have owned ten of your phones, still have an ATT 1520. So, now I'm gonna go with beats or Google play streaming service and buy all my music on amazon...I saw so many newer releases on those services for $3.99 that were 12.99 on XBM. What a joke. IMO, MS should make an android phone and use WP as THIER skin as the mobile has passed them by it is too late. I'm positive Windows 9 will be a huge success I just hope they fix the media part of THIER o's and if they do ill check it out but this is the last month they get $9.99 out of me for an ugly music app that still gives black screens and duplicate songs.
    Good riddance.
    PS-I still have a 1520,2520, and a first gen Samsung windows 8 tablet.
    08-19-2014 11:02 PM
    It was november 2010 when I got my Samsung Omnia 7. I live in Brazil so I had to import it from Europe. No easy task, no easy money.
    Well, since then all I did was to praise the Windows Phone OS and Microsoft.
    I participated in forums and invoices, wrote apps, evangelized friends, coworkers and family.
    It's been almost four years now and I really feel part of the WP history.
    Before Nokia, almost nobody had WP here in Rio. Now, thanks to the 520, all you see in subways and trains are colorful, beautiful live tiles flipping around.
    But now it's time for me to leave.
    I believe MS is kinda lost at the moment. And the (always) only US or US first for months and months is stupid since it sells less home than away.
    In my opinion, WP 8.1 is a mess with new classes. Lots of my favorite WP features, things that I used to sell the OS, are gone. And a lot of other things are just so bad you can't even use it.
    And I'm just tired of lagging behind Android and iOS. It's weird but I learned to be sorry about this feeling...
    And I own a HTC 8x...
    But I don't want enumerate bad things about it. I just want to say farewell and move on.

Thanks to all the WPCentral team and community. The best around.
    Thanks Rudy and all the great devs who saved us since launch.

P.S. English is not my native language.
    08-20-2014 09:22 AM
5,481 ... 2425262728 ...