04-02-2018 10:30 AM
5,481 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    Till may 2014 had the s60v5 phone nokia 5230...
    I wanted to get a real smartphone and was just attracted towards android before seeing my dad's laggy samsung...

But then sometime in dec 2013 tried out my friends lumia 800 and was instantly attached to the windows phone...

I was amazed as to how wp performed smooth even on the lowest spec 520... And then i picked up a Lumia 525... And boy has it been a great experience!!!

Since then i am a big fan of wp and loving its minimalistic design philosophy....
    08-22-2014 09:03 AM
    Very sad to say goodbye to my much loved nokia lumia 520 running wp8.1 but after constant random reboots and shutdowns and 2 visits to repair shop I think it's time to revert back to iphone. i've tried just about everything possible or suggested on various forums to get round the rebooting issue but none have worked I was hoping the recent upgrade to 8.1 might finally fix it but alas no I also thought about waiting for another manufacturer to make a wp8.1 device for the uk market maybe HTC m8 for example but this phone also seems to suffer according to ppl on the forums here, really dissapointed as I was thinking of getting a 930 or 1520 (heard it affects the 1520 too, not sure about the 930) but am not now prepaired to take a chance. A real shame as I really like the OS and feel even despite any shortcomings it's way nicer to use than Android or IOS but I need a phone I can depend on, today was the last straw, last night with 100% battery it shut itself off and the alarm didn't go off, almost late for work which would be very bad for me so that sealed its fate.

I wonder how many users are leaving wp because of simialr issues? of course if MS or any of the carriers admitted it's an issue and fixed it I would buy another wp straight off but until it's genuinely looked at and resolved that's it for me, it's just too frustrating to live with on a daily basis.
    08-28-2014 07:26 AM
    Sad to head that. Hope you'll enjoy the iPhone.

Regarding the issues. I'm using this forum much time, and I've read very few complaints about device random reboots. I think your 520 just had manufacturing issues.

I didn't have any random reboots on my 1520.
    08-28-2014 07:30 AM
    I know I won't enjoy the iphone as much as the lumia but I'm getting it cheap whilst I wait to see what happens with wp. I've heard of 1520's also having this issue and also other lumia devices which is why i haven't taken the plunge and bought another new one yet. I'm not sure about manufacturing issues as we had 3x 520's in my household and they all done it and each was bought at different times and places so likely not the same batch, my wife gave up months ago but I carried on until now. Happy to hear your 1520 is OK and long may it stay that way.
    08-28-2014 07:41 AM
    While you probably have a defect of some level, but overall I don't think it's even fair to expect the kind of quality from a 80 phone as a 700 iPhone :P

Chances are if you invested the same into WP as you would into an iPhone, your experience would be much better too. That said, I know plenty of people with 520s that don't have any random rebooting, so it's definitely not normal or common to every 520.
    08-28-2014 07:46 AM
    My 930 has no issues at all. It's so much superior to my 920 in every way. Also I have had no issues with my 520 so suspect it is just a dodgy device.

What I will say about iPhone is the latest iOS is terrible. I bought an iPad Air because I hated how slow my Galaxy Tab was getting and the Windows based tablets were missing a couple of key apps (Sky Go mainly). The main reason I got the Air was because when I had my iPhone I found the OS to be really stable. Apple have acknowledged that there is a reboot issue with iOS but repeated updates still haven't fixed the issue. iOS 7 (is 7 the latest) is so buggy I find it hard to believe.
    08-28-2014 07:54 AM
    My 820 has no such issues, heck, even my sibling whom own a 520 has no issue. Seems like bad luck that's all
    08-28-2014 07:58 AM
    My 520 is running fine. I hope you come back soon on the WP wagon next time try to invest the same amount on a WP as an iPhone. Then you'll have great experience. Also I think you just had some bad luck with 520.
    08-28-2014 08:01 AM
    Sounds like a defective unit.

When I bought my wife a 1020, I got my 520 back from her... wasn't problematic back when I owned it initially, and still has none of that rebooting :/
    08-28-2014 08:03 AM
    I left WP in November 2013 from a Lumia 920 (very upset about the GDR2 update which caused my camera to be crap, among other things) for an iPhone 5S. You will be impressed for about a month, the OS is solid and rarely has issues...the main problems you will have are likely iMessage not delivering all your texts, Siri's inconsistency to work and Wifi connectivity (simple turn on/off usually works)...otherwise the platform is a rock. With that said its still the most boring experience you will have and if you already know you're not going to enjoy it, well i can say be prepared to come back. And lets be realistic, you had a 520...my buddy and his wife had 520's which both were not very durable or reliable (not saying this applies to everyone with the phone, just my experience). I would have recommended you to pick up a cheap 920 for the time being while you wait for "your ideal device". But alas, you are leaving...and we will see you back here in the coming months =)

Ive got a 1020 and not very pleased with the experience, the battery is horrid and the auto camera quality i personally find does not work very nicely (i am sure manual is the RIGHT way to use this device but i just wanted an awesome camera that takes great auto pics). With that said, 7 months with iOS7 as stable as it was, was enough to have me running back to WP.
    08-28-2014 08:08 AM
    I think this issues are not due to some defect in your 520, because same problems appears in other devices. For me the problem could be in WP itself. Not so abundant but I had same issues than you in my 920. Random reboots, battery draining suddenly during night and therefore the alarm died... I see MS is improving WP and fixing it, but I can't wait then to fix all those stuff until who knows when. If I can't rely on my phone for basic tasks like alarm, time to switch to other OS... For the moment, iOS is my option, although I prefer the simplicity of WP, but I need a reliable OS. So, you're not alone...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk
    08-28-2014 08:18 AM
    I think this issues are not due to some defect in your 520, because same problems appears in other devices. For me the problem could be in WP itself. Not so abundant but I had same issues than you in my 920. Random reboots, battery draining suddenly during night and therefore the alarm died... I see MS is improving WP and fixing it, but I can't wait then to fix all those stuff until who knows when. If I can't rely on my phone for basic tasks like alarm, time to switch to other OS... For the moment, iOS is my option, although I prefer the simplicity of WP, but I need a reliable OS. So, you're not alone...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk
    You still having random battery drains on 920 with WP8.1? I had those issues with WP8, once of the reasons i initially left for iPhone...but when i came back to a 1020 i updated straight to 8.1 and did not witness the issues. Random battery drain is definitely one of the worst things to deal with and i agree, if you guys are witnessing these issues consistently i dont see a reason why you'd stay.
    08-28-2014 08:24 AM
    Come on - really? Comparing a 520 to an iPhone reminds me at many people comparing an iPad to the cheapest windows tablet they found at the next corner store.
    08-28-2014 08:24 AM
    In the early days of my Lumia 920 (which I'm still using now) I set my alarm for 0500 for class at 0600. It did the reboot thing and I woke up at 0900. Hah fastest I've ever woken up. I've learned to set another alarm clock, just in case.
    08-28-2014 08:30 AM
    I did post a reply but it got deleted?? anyway just to say I wasn't comparing devices and for the money the 520 is bang on but despite the low cost I should not have to put up with reboots and shutdowns. Once I know this issue is put to bed I'll be straight back to the wp platform.
    08-28-2014 08:59 AM
    So I just ordered a OnePlus One and it'll be arriving 1 week from now.

The lack off support by HTC for its past WP8 phones made me do this decision. I will still be keeping the phone as a back-up phone, also I would still have a WP phone in case I miss the WP environment.
    09-05-2014 07:18 PM
    So I just ordered a OnePlus One and it'll be arriving 1 week from now.

The lack off support by HTC for its past WP8 phones made me do this decision. I will still be keeping the phone as a back-up phone, also I would still have a WP phone in case I miss the WP environment.
    What kind of support for Android phones are you talking about, sir..?
    09-06-2014 07:04 AM
    What kind of support for Android phones are you talking about, sir..?
    I'm not talking anything about the OS support. I was talking about HTC not giving enough support for their existing devices that needed support, that's all. I have nothing against Windows Phone.
    09-06-2014 12:40 PM
    Please excusing spelling and grammatical errors English is not my first language..Also not exactly sure where would be appropriate to post it

Sadly I think I'm going to have to leave windows phone for a long while. I live in Canada and my contract is up for renewal in October as much as I've been a hard follower and enthusiast Microsoft and their products I feel as though I am really left with no choice. I've been on board since first getting an HD7 when it was first released and even now use an 8x as my daily driver. I'm probably going to have to switch to an iPhone most likely but I really wish there was a compelling reason to stay but after waiting so long I don't really see things improving anytime soon.

The windows phone support by carriers in Canada is absolutely terrible... last phone to get released was the 1020 and as much as i think the camera is awesome photography is not something that I really care too much about. I'd like a good camera if possible and ideally i would like the best camera possible without adding any extra size weight or sacrificing aesthetics. I want a thin flagship phone. The last release that really caught my attention was the 925 but no local release and now it's kinda outdated. You could make the argument that the performance enhancements to WP with newer hardware would be minimal at best but really why would I resign my contract for hardware that is from last generation. The 930 is a viable option but the extra girth to the phone in comparison to what other companies are releasing as flagships really bugs me as I would rather have a thinner device with a 12mp camera. Even Sony seems to have found a way to put a 20mp camera into a much thinner body than what the 930 has. I don't feel like I'm demanding too much in asking for a thin and well designed flagship device. I know HTC is bringing attention with their M8 for windows but as most ppl here know that HTC has been horrible with support and I've had nothing but problems with dealing with HTC for simple things like factory defects and having repairs done and receiving the phone back with additional damages. A review of people's posts to HTC Canada's Facebook page backs up essentially my experience with them in a nutshell. Either way I have huge doubts that even this hardware is coming to Canada. I think even during the reddit ama with Joe Belfiore he recommended that Canadians by phones off expansys where right now I could get a 930 for over $700+tax/import+shipping. I don't feel like that's a reasonable solution when my contract is up.

In addition a lot of software issues are starting to leave a sour taste every time i use my device. There has been so many arguments about the lack of some apps and the existing ones not being updated or having feature parity that I don't really feel the need to echo them here. The fact is they exist even in the apps that Microsoft itself makes for companies like Facebook. Also, Xbox music has been the bane of my life for months. it has been seriously disappointing since it was one of the main reasons I came from android as I wanted an all in one player that had a subscription service and play music I bought from bandcamp all in one app. Not sure what the landscape for that is like nowadays on other platforms but on WP the experience has been so terrible that in many ways the wp7 app is better. Persistent bug that the app wont update from the store if you have a lot of music pinned in kids corner or have more than 25 albums pinned to your start screen on top of that.

I could even deal with the software issues if I had hardware available to keep me going that is available in Canada. I would even settle for a 930 if it was actually available to me without having to buy it for $700+. I even switched my renewal hardware upgrade with my parents last year because there was nothing available and told myself I switch with them so I could wait a year and see. I even feel bad because I recommended to a close friend to get a 920 a few years back and later told her to use the developer preview and after getting used to it and enjoying it she also has no viable hardware to upgrade to. I feel like I'm just continually getting burned by being an enthusiast of the platform in Canada. It's a shame because I love so many things about the platform. The ideas behind the start screen has kept me here for this long. Pinning albums, people hub, start screen, Microsoft's health and sports apps, one note and office, fresh paint, ect. have all been wonderful and awesome to use and I still prefer the overall design of WP to any other OS out there but really what am I to do at this point? just continue to wait and hope that something comes to Canada and to my carrier? Renew my contract for an entry level windows phone that my current one from two years ago is better than in almost all respects?
    09-06-2014 07:08 PM
    I think this pretty much explains it: Nokia using old parts The phone is using the S4 power hungry screen. There are no flagship phones outside of the 1520 I would take and even that, with the screen not recognizing the location of your finger properly because of the hardware defect is a sad phone indeed.

The 830 is using an older, less efficient processor and who knows about the screen or parts used on this thing.

I feel as if Nokia took their brand and assumed because it's a Nokia that we would all fall in love with it. Microsoft, with it's inept ability to make decent hardware is no where to be seen with a new device.
    LTTG, D M C and prasath1234 like this.
    09-09-2014 07:38 AM
    Not all have the same problems you are facing. I've been using Nokia for more than 5 years, still no issue. & even with the older processors WP works very well, lag free. I still have my older Lumia 710, works very well for me.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-09-2014 07:44 AM
    I think this pretty much explains it: Nokia using old parts The phone is using the S4 power hungry screen. There are no flagship phones outside of the 1520 I would take and even that, with the screen not recognizing the location of your finger properly because of the hardware defect is a sad phone indeed.

The 830 is using an older, less efficient processor and who knows about the screen or parts used on this thing.

I feel as if Nokia took their brand and assumed because it's a Nokia that we would all fall in love with it. Microsoft, with it's inept ability to make decent hardware is no where to be seen with a new device.

Really 830 using old processor??? So what about the Moto G 2014?? Heck that's even using the same specs but nobody is complaining about it also even its predecessor was using the same.
    So yeah what you like buy it and what don't like don't buy it. You have alot of options so go besides of complaining
    09-09-2014 07:53 AM
    See, windows phones doesn't lag like Android does. It runs smoothly on single/dual core processors, so why complain? My friend has note 3, it lags even with an octa core processor, so what's the point?
    09-09-2014 07:57 AM

If your leaving Windows phones for these reasons then you will not be happy with any phone you get.
    09-09-2014 08:02 AM
    What is the point in having latest processor in android when it will lag all the way. While windows phone do not lag even with older processor.
    Karthik Naik and Kevin Rush like this.
    09-09-2014 08:04 AM
5,481 ... 2526272829 ...