I have a 930 and I'm going to buy the S6. I really enjoy the 930, but both my previous 1520 and the 930 have had their issues and I'm a little tired of it. I love windows phone and I don't really want to go back to Android, but the S6 is a beautiful piece of hardware and has a lot of cool features, so the gadget enthusiasts in me can't be held back. I'm coming back as soon as Microsoft or other companies make a phone that can compete with phones offered on Android and iOS, because I'm really excited about Windows 10 for phones. Anyone share this feeling?
    04-05-2015 11:12 AM
    Ive been thinking about the SGS6 also. Android, could I really? I had the original SGS for a month, until I complete got fed up with Google and gave it to my then gf.

They will probably release CyanogenMod rom do the SGS6 and that way you are not complete under Google's snooping eyes?
    04-05-2015 11:44 AM
    Ive been thinking about the SGS6 also. Android, could I really? I had the original SGS for a month, until I complete got fed up with Google and gave it to my then gf.

They will probably release CyanogenMod rom do the SGS6 and that way you are not complete under Google's snooping eyes?
    I've seen some drop tests of the new S6 and I was kind of shocked how fragile it is. I mean they cover the back in GG4, but it's just as fragile to side impacts. (Covering the BACK in GG4 is a dumb move in my opinion and a whole separate issue.)
    I have literally knocked a chuck of asphalt loose in the parking lot with my 928 when I dropped it once. It is a pretty solid handset. I'm going to miss that when I leave.
    04-06-2015 10:29 AM
    Okay so it's been 4 years of my stint with Windows Phone and 2 years here at Windows Central. I just love windows phone, the amazing community and talented third party developers.
    My new phone (shiny lumia 830) just got lost two weeks ago and I'd been using lumia 820 these days but today it died suddenly. It won't boot up and I've tried just about everything from soft reset, hard reset to Nokia Software recovery and even Dead Flash.
    I am a student and I don't have enough money to buy a new smartphone. (Not even a 520 sadly) so I have decided to buy a feature phone instead.
    I am gonna buy a Nokia S30 series phone tomorrow.
    I just wanted to thank each and every Windows Central member for helping me in my starting days here at Windows Central and also to moderators for making this forum as enjoyable experience as it is.

I would definitely be back in some months maybe when I would be able to buy a new WP.

I wanted to test the insider preview of W10 and that is why I bought a new lumia 830 but unfortunately it got lost. Hopefully all of you folks will test the OS and give them feedback specially on that ugly design they have been preparing.

Ps. Sorry for my bad English. I just came from work and its pretty late here.
    04-06-2015 03:20 PM
    Okay so it's been 4 years of my stint with Windows Phone and 2 years here at Windows Central. I just love windows phone, the amazing community and talented third party developers.
    My new phone (shiny lumia 830) just got lost two weeks ago and I'd been using lumia 820 these days but today it died suddenly. It won't boot up and I've tried just about everything from soft reset, hard reset to Nokia Software recovery and even Dead Flash.
    I am a student and I don't have enough money to buy a new smartphone. (Not even a 520 sadly) so I have decided to buy a feature phone instead.
    I just wanted to thank each and every Windows Central member for helping me in my starting days here at Windows Central and also to moderators for making this forum as enjoyable experience as it is.

I would definitely be back in some months maybe when I would be able to buy a new WP.

I wanted to test the insider preview of W10 and that is why I bought a new lumia 830 but unfortunately it got lost. Hopefully all of you folks will test the OS and give them feedback specially on that ugly design they have been preparing.

I'm so sorry to hear that your 830 was lost. I hope things go well for you, and you'll be able to get a new Windows Phone soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Guytronic and amitnahar like this.
    04-06-2015 03:43 PM
    Up to week 3 of life without Windows Phone after finally switching over to an iPhone 6+.

The only major gripe I've had has been iMessage, but other than that I'm blown away by the ecosystem experience. I just simply cannot fault it. It's mature, there are services and apps for absolutely everything I can think of.

The biggest thing which has surprised me has been the photography experience. I was expecting a step back from my Lumia 925 & 1520 experiences, but in actual fact this new iPhone 6+ camera is MUCH better than I could have imagined. The low light performance is absolutely exceptional. Apple has taken a nod from Lumia and also added better out of the box editing tools baked into the OS.

I have to sadly admit that WP is now starting to become a dim memory. Seeing comments from users about how they manage with a platform that has dwindling industry support makes me recall how I felt. I'd make excuses all the time for the fact that we had little to no apps, half how-finished WP would feel and so on.

I'm now enjoying life in a fully matured and brilliantly polished ecosystem, which while less advanced than WP, is nevertheless an excellent product that I overall cannot fault.
    WinU likes this.
    04-06-2015 07:11 PM

PM me, I may have a 520 I can send you if you like.

P.S. I still have that 520 I can send you for nothing. I know its not much, but, I remember being a starving student all those years ago. You shouldn't have to go without if you are such a fan of the system.
    Last edited by dgr_874; 04-08-2015 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Renewed offer
    04-07-2015 12:03 AM
    I'm going to be leaving the Windows Phone depending on how the Windows 10 will look like, and function. Microsoft has repeatedly destroyed the reasons why I have originally came to the Windows Phone ecosystem.

1) Destroyed the People's Hub... (Twitter + Facebook no longer integrated...Launches a new APP when pressing on a new post/picture and takes 15 seconds to do so!)
    2) Annihilated the Music Player... (Zune was a flawless music player application. Why did they mess it up with this new...basic...unoriginal music player?) Zune Music Player was the best music player ever made...even though it was made very late. However, having it integrated into the Windows Phone was a major plus, therefore I don't know what went through the developers' heads when they decided to change it.
    3) Every time I launch an app it says "Loading..." for 2-3 seconds EVEN THOUGH the application is already running in the background. What's up with that? Android and Apple don't have this lag. By the way, is this only for me? (I use 925) Or do you guys in the high end devices also have this Loading thing which makes maneuvering between apps laggy?
    4) Still no new lock screens. The ones that are suppose to come out are buggy, laggy.
    5) Cortana should be ready on a snap. It takes 3 seconds for Cortana to start up, and 6 seconds for the news and weather stuff to be ready. And again, clicking on news and weather brings up separate apps (which take time to load) rather than being fully integrated. Ok...this is a little bit pushing it, I know. But Microsoft should maybe have a URL bar right in the main screen so that you can ask cortana questions or tell her to do tasks without having to go through the initiation portion which takes up precious time.

Also as I stated in number 3, windows phone is laggy. Sure, it seems flawless because it has beautiful transitions, however the transitions take up much time and it gets annoying after having used the phone for a year (on top of the "Loading...") screen. If you have a high end phone and it's very snappy, can you show a youtube video of it to prove it? Because I would understand if this slow lag is simply because of my phone.

Thoughts?
    WinU and WesleyBPeres like this.
    04-07-2015 12:04 AM
    I've been on the WP train since Wp7 came out. I used to have a Samsung Omnia W which had pretty great specs and generally flawless. And I was extremly happy with it. The integration thing... Man that was something different. I loved it. The metro design language... Hello inovation. Then everything started to collapse. The facebook app with the beautiful metro design as we knew it, was gone. Other apps had similar fate. Developers started ditching metro design in favor of a more "universal" look across the platforms (ios,android,wp). Live tiles were cool. Until iOS7 was introduced, tgere wasnt anything better than them. But its been 5 years and we still get to see excactly the same tiles we had 5 years ago. Im sorry Microsoft, but this is not how you keep your faithful customers.

I was hoping windows 10 would bring something new, innovative, change, not hamburger-menu innovative but something more. Then came the demos that surfed on the web. For someone like me who was keeping his hopes high onto the upcoming system update, it was Horrible. I mean come one dudes. We were told UI changes would be coming. Damn I thought they were talking about making changes to my home screen... App list.. etc. Even though giving me a laggy home screen with "beautiful" background(*insert what year is it meme here*) wasn't what I excpected these guys are really working hard to pushing me to other platforms. Ok people, I know its in beta phase. But as far as I can recall WP8.1 was more feature-filled, and brought us more changes that this upcoming OS seems to bring.
    "But windows 10 is more about developers".
    Well most of the people who use the platform are not developers, and frankly we dont give a sh*t what goes on the background. What we want is a cool, unique looking os not everyone has. I'll wait till the final version of w10 is released, and finally decide which platform im going to hop on.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    04-07-2015 12:06 PM
    This is likely my last day with my Windows phone. My S6 comes in today or tomorrow. Hopefully Microsoft gives the mobile unit back to Nokia, then I might come back ✌
    04-07-2015 02:13 PM
    This is likely my last day with my Windows phone. My S6 comes in today or tomorrow. Hopefully Microsoft gives the mobile unit back to Nokia, then I might come back ✌
    Good luck, enjoy your new handset. Sadly, I think Touchwiz will drive you mad so my advice would be to get a different launcher. Say hello when you come back to the side of the angels ;)
    04-07-2015 02:30 PM
    I am taking my family plan of multiple Lumias and switching to Apple. Although, I love WP, the lack of apps and flagships has become too much. For example on 2 simple needs, I simply can't do:
    Banking and easy photobook printing from my phone. For my family these at important and unavailable on WP. Of course so many other examples of apps either never being available, poorly updated or dropping WP support matter too.

Oh well, it was a fun run and good luck to the 2.7%. I hope things change and in 2 years I can switch back to a vibrant OS.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-08-2015 09:33 AM
    "Oh well, it was a fun run and good luck to the 2.7%. I hope things change and in 2 years I can switch back to a vibrant OS."
    moonwalk-supermarket.jpg
    Sam_Cook and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    04-08-2015 09:38 AM
    It's worth mentioning that if you get an Android phone, you could switch without a new device. However that requires you to use Android, and many cannot stand it. Farewell, I hope things change as well. :-)
    Thanks but i am sorry I don't understand. Do u mean that I can use Android on my 1520?
    04-08-2015 11:24 AM
    Thanks but i am sorry I don't understand. Do u mean that I can use Android on my 1520?
    Nope, I think he's thinking of that program for Windows 10 on a specific Chinese android phone.

If you want Android, you'll have to get another phone.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-08-2015 12:18 PM
    I am taking my family plan of multiple Lumias and switching to Apple. Although, I love WP, the lack of apps and flagships has become too much. For example on 2 simple needs, I simply can't do:
    Banking and easy photobook printing from my phone. For my family these at important and unavailable on WP. Of course so many other examples of apps either never being available, poorly updated or dropping WP support matter too.

Oh well, it was a fun run and good luck to the 2.7%. I hope things change and in 2 years I can switch back to a vibrant OS.
    I'm forced to use an iphone6 for work. I can tell you one thing: compared to my Lumia 925 it's an insanely big step back if you actively use your phone. So many things are impossible on an iphone that are day to day business on a Lumia. It's just scary really. Sure it has more apps, but that can't make up for all the missing hardware and software features that I've grown to rely on.

Torrents, file explorer, touch accuracy and sensitivity (sure, the iphone responds quickly, but highly inaccurate if you're used to a Lumia), worse camera compared to Lumia's (you'll noticed the lesser mp and lack of OIS if you dont go 6+ for real), the call quality on an iphone is absolutely hideous if you're used to a Lumia. It's astonishing. Friends and co-workers that I call with my iphone now often notice and point out the difference. And no it's not the specific iphone, it's the lower quality components. I have no reception in places I used to have atleast a few bars with a Lumia either. Same goes for others around me with an iphone. Can't download torrents anymore on the phone. Can't playback mkv without serious horrible workarounds involving a PC. Need itunes for EVERYTHING, which sucks, can't connect easily to my Ubuntu notebook without issues anymore. The calendar is unstable (some appointments show up, some don't, some do weird stuff), contact management is utter ... terrible and complex. Nomore automatically remembering where I left my bluetooth devices (like my car), no more automatic routes from Here Drive. No more dropping phone and laughing (cause now it'll break and you will cry cause it's about 5x as expensive), no more fruit slice with a real knife, because even your finger can scratch the cheap glass on an iphone.

Lower resolution screens on the iphone are noticable too. You think the Lumia 930 isn't flagship? Why would you consider an iphone that's even less flag-shippy than a 930? Have you seen the specs on the iphone? The dual core 1GB ram device that on iOS8.2 runs out of memory on the iphone6+ and crashes the browser? Well Yay. The 930 is less powerful per core, but those four cores in total have a lot going for them and can defeat an iphone in a few areas. The 2GB of ram on the 930 is pretty noticable too.

iOS is popular-ish, but not good. No way. Not when you're used to a Lumia. But then again, the grass always seems greener on the other side. Well, you'll see.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-09-2015 04:44 PM
    I like my 1520, even will be keeping it around for WP10 development, but I have discovered that it just isn't for me. The platform is feeling like abandon ware. I bought it to use as an ereader for my Kindle books but the app wasn't updated in over a year. I cannot even search my books!

I was happy for a while that I could use my Chase app to deposit checks, but then that got pulled and so I have to go to a bank to do my deposits now.

Then the touchscreen is flaky. Half the time I would scroll and I would up navigating to a link instead.

The Facebook app is atrocious. I used the website because of how bad it was.

The HD support seemed lacking for the screen resolution. Most apps didn't take advantage of it.

I loved Cortana. She is great. I loved the live tiles. I love the camera. But I just couldn't hack the outdated apps.

I love my new Galaxy S6 Edge. So far the ecosystem is like a breath of fresh air. So nice to have a proper Facebook client again! And a banking app again! And split screen multitasking.

The worst of it? MICROSOFT APPS THAT ARE BETTER!

I am looking forward to W10, and will still browse here (I am getting a Surface 3). I love Microsoft and want them to succeed. Hope to have a Windows Phone again someday.
    WinU and prasath1234 like this.
    04-11-2015 07:58 PM
    Hi, my name is Mike, I'm new to the forum, I gave up on Android after 4 years, and I'm currently waiting for my Lumia 640 LTE to arrive...I got it for 150€...its my first Windows Phone device. Before switching platforms I've made a lot of research on WP and I still have my doubts (the lack of apps and the relatively small number of users were my primary setbacks) but I decided to give it a shot especially because a spec similar smartphone with android would've cost me like 250€ and then there's the lagging: if you can't afford to by a flagship android or something close to that its gonna lag and you're gonna have memory issues and all that and I simply don't want to pour all my money into a smartphone.
    My last phone was Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus and boy did that one lag...I couldn't even write a text without lagging when typing (yes i tried all ways of optimizing, in the end not even the facebook app was usable). SO if I can make a call / write a text / play some games / have facebook and whatsapp I think its safe to say that WP will be good for me
    Laura Knotek and prasath1234 like this.
    04-12-2015 03:35 AM
    I'm sadly getting rid of my 1520 for a Galaxy S6 Edge just cannot wait anymore for Microsoft to release a flagship handset and to be honest the way it is looking at the moment with Windows Phone don't think there will be a worthy flagship, I hope I'm wrong.

Also cannot understand Microsoft strategy to have Cortana, Office apps etc... to be available on both iOS and android, if the core features of Windows phone is available on other platforms what's the point of getting an windows phone?
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    04-12-2015 11:09 AM
    I understand your frustration. Even I was thinking about switching at some points in time. For now, I'm sticking with my 520 though. Enjoy your Edge! :)
    04-12-2015 11:27 AM
    You might want to check out this thread where some users have shared their insights about Cortana.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-12-2015 11:29 AM
    One of the things I do miss from the 1520 is the seemingly never ending battery. That said, the rest of the S6''s battery life seems sufficient for me at this point. The Edge also has a slightly larger battery than the regular S6 - not hugely bigger but it does count for something :)

Overall though it is nice to have a phone that doesn't feel like abandon ware.

And Outlook on Android is far better than it is on Windows Phone. So is Office :(
    hotphil and prasath1234 like this.
    04-12-2015 10:07 PM
    I've read that thread as well as others discussing Office for iOS or other Microsoft services for iOS/Android, and quite frankly I don't agree with the general and seemingly quite popular "they're just doing that to lure people in" theory. While it's an absolutely valid way to look at it that way I personally think Microsoft is more likely slowly trying to establish itself in rival markets in case their own ship continues to sink even faster and further. It's no secret that Windows Phone hasn't really taken off yet and is even having a really hard time establishing itself in a niche, and that Microsoft might already have an exit strategy at hand. To me, all these Microsoft services on rival platforms that more often than not beat the living **** out of their Windows Phone counterparts (need I mention Skype? OneDrive? Office?) are the first still fully reversible steps of said exit plan.

To me at least it doesn't make any sense to "lure" people in with excellent apps on rival platforms only for them to discover that the very same app on Windows Phone doesn't work that way, or doesn't have this or that feature, or simply doesn't work at all the way it's supposed to (again, need I mention Skype?).
    I wasn't also really buying into the luring logic, but on the marketing and business research side of things, having Cortana on other platforms could enable Microsoft to gather data and feedback from and about "rival" markets... since it is known that MS gathers feedback and data through Cortana.
    Stiv X likes this.
    04-13-2015 02:55 AM
    ^ Technically I'd say that's incorrect. Cortana doesn't "gather" data from users, at least not for purposes that go beyond making Cortana and related features/software work as expected. Cortana accesses your contacts so you can say "Call Harry", she accesses your location so you can ask "Where is the closest Chinese restaurant?", and she accesses your e-mail and calendar so she can automatically enter appointments into your calendar based on e-mail content.

Bing is a different story, but that's not Cortana.
    04-13-2015 03:47 AM
    I am finally giving up for the time being and giving the S5 a try. I know that the S6 is out and all that. But I can't afford that and to be honest I wouldn't pay for it right now anyway. The S5 will cover all my needs. I've already been browsing the app store and it's amazing how many things I am missing on my Lumia 920. Some I use a lot and need and some will just be nice to have since I finally can. I am hanging onto my Lumia 920 as I would like to try out Windows 10. Plus I might still use it for a few things, running, working out etc. It's nice to swap out phones for specific needs if you need to. Having Windows and Android I feel I cover everything! Hopefully someday I'll return to strictly Windows.
    04-13-2015 02:00 PM
5,458 ... 4142434445 ...