Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felbrigge Psalter

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Talk Me Out Of Switching To iPhone 6

Tomorrow morning I plan on going to the Apple store to finally turn to the dark side. I have been using Windows Phones for two years, first a Lumia 822 and then a 928. I loved the 928, and was thrilled with the Denim update--it really felt like Christmas morning. Then two things happened: I dropped the 928 and the screen shattered, and my work gave me an Apple Store gift card as a gratuity.

I love the WP interface, and don't really care that much about apps, but I've finally gotten tired of waving the WP flag when there seems to be so little love in return. I was just about to get a new 928 at Verizon, and then the next day they yanked it. I have an iPad (another gift from work), and it's okay but the UI seems like a sad Soviet-era platform next to WP. I use it mainly for apps that I can't get on WP.

My main priority is music. I loved Zune, still use my HD, and I keep thinking that in the next iteration MS will get Xbox Music right, but I'm always disappointed. Obviously, not a fan of iTunes, but curious to see if it's now any worse than Xbox Music.

I'm concerned that if I stick with WP the support will continue to dwindle and eventually it will go the way of Blackberry, or become Android plus. Should I stop kidding myself that WP someday will become a robust environment with a killer Zune-like music app? Or should I continue to be patient and not lock myself into Apple's unimaginative but well-supported ecosystem?

Thanks!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Talk Me Out Of Switching To iPhone 6

The grass is always greener on the other side. This year should be more exciting than any iOS 8.2 update with Windows 10 coming , but the iPhone 6 is a great phone. If you switch, enjoy, if not, enjoy. Only you know what is best and that can change monthly for some.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

IOS is good OS actually, I own L1020 iPhone 4 5s and 6 and couple of Androids but I gave my iPhone 6 to my sister and kept the L1020 and the rest. All I could say is, the iPhone 6 is a hell of a phone, its so damn pretty and it feels expensive, but those were the only positive thing I could think of. It also suffers quick battery drain which really sucks, that's why I gave it away. I dont also think there's an advantage of having a slim phone especially at its size, I'm a big guy and the iPhone 6 is feels really awkward and fragile to handle, I feel like I might gonna crush it or something. Its a pretty good phone but the battery life is I think the huge con of the iPhone 6.
Choice is still yours, both os/phones are good, you can always go back to which you prefer it's just a phone anyway.

Captain_pipes

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I absolutely love WP and and the very proud owner of a 635. Recently I've had the opportunity to switch to IOS and will be doing so. I love the wp platform and Microsoft does an excellent job with it. Unfortunately the dev support is awful and that's what I'm interested in. I'll be holding on the the 635 though. Not. Bad phone for $99

I'm getting an iPhone but I'm keeping the 635 too. I like all three

Last edited by a moderator:

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Used a L520 for a couple of weeks last year, but sold it and got myself a Z10. Tried to go back to WP in december, I even took a L730 for a test drive, but, even if I love the Live Tiles and the general UI, WP is still far behind BB10 in terms of user experience. Sent the Lumia back and preparing to upgrade my Z10 to another BB.

No way I'd go with Android, it's a joke of an OS. Ios may be good, but I'm never gonna pay for a darn phone more than I pay on a TV/laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately my time with WP might be running out as the issues im dealing with have no work around. My business now banks with a bank that not only doesn't support WP but the mobile site has problems with WP internet explorer. I have emailed them but they wont be putting in money for a "handfull" of wp user so say the customer service rep, facebook notification are not on time! They are for my coworkers android, he gets them like instantly , and other sites that just don't have mobile version that have apps on ios or android but not on WP....and not coming any time soon. I need a functioning facebook pages manager app because what we have...doesn't work. I've emailed the dev and says " will look in to it for next update"? So really im so upset at WP that im forced to switch or end up loosing my position as social manager to a guy with an iPhone. Just because his phone can do more than mine . So now to save my spot im looking at iPhones...i can't believe it...like Microsoft is some old mom and pop company working out of a shed or something😩

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately my time with WP might be running out as the issues im dealing with have no work around. My business now banks with a bank that not only doesn't support WP but the mobile site has problems with WP internet explorer. I have emailed them but they wont be putting in money for a "handfull" of wp user so say the customer service rep, facebook notification are not on time! They are for my coworkers android, he gets them like instantly , and other sites that just don't have mobile version that have apps on ios or android but not on WP....and not coming any time soon. I need a functioning facebook pages manager app because what we have...doesn't work. I've emailed the dev and says " will look in to it for next update"? So really im so upset at WP that im forced to switch or end up loosing my position as social manager to a guy with an iPhone. Just because his phone can do more than mine . So now to save my spot im looking at iPhones...i can't believe it...like Microsoft is some old mom and pop company working out of a shed or something😩

Which Bank is that?

mowinemdown

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I am leaving for iOS. My 1520's screen went berserk and I just couldn't see myself getting another one. Honestly the last straw was when they released Flipboard and it didn't flip. That tells me there are some OS limitations. This might seem like a little thing, but those little things add up to a poor user experience in the end. I will check again after windows 10 is released, but for now I am going to quit my martyrdom and enjoy my new phone

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

I am leaving for iOS. My 1520's screen went berserk and I just couldn't see myself getting another one. Honestly the last straw was when they released Flipboard and it didn't flip. That tells me there are some OS limitations. This might seem like a little thing, but those little things add up to a poor user experience in the end. I will check again after windows 10 is released, but for now I am going to quit my martyrdom and enjoy my new phone

iOS is by far the best mobile OS in terms of content, but the lack of live tiles or widgets of any kind make it a lot more work just to do things like check the weather, email, etc.
But, yes, iOS is much better than Android. I've used all three and Android by far was the worst. Lots of lag and unstable apps.
iOS is beautiful and works flawlessly. Enjoy, but you will miss live tiles. I know I did!

jorden vanmeensel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
2015 - A year of change (for me)

Hey guys!

First of all, this is more of a blog/article type of post. If you are interested in the directions where mobile OS?es are going, this may be interesting for you.

Since 2011 I supported Windows Phone with all my heart but now, after 4 years, I switched to android. For the haters out there, don?t think I?m an Android fan now! I still love Windows Phone but there are few reasons why I switched to the android platform.

The biggest reason, of course, is the app gap. I know that all the major app?s are in the store but the quality just doesn?t matches the quality of the App Store or the Google Play Store. I learned to live with it, just like a lot of supporters out there, but the fact that I can?t get SnapChat or even a simple banking app is killing me. I don?t need the latest games or hypes (although some of you may consider Snap Chat a hype), I just want decent support by developers who don?t look at us like we are the retarded sibling of the pack.

The 2nd biggest reason is the fact that I got bored with Windows Phone. Looking at the same interface for 4 years Is getting me depressed. With WP7.8/WP8/WP8.1 they?ve added a TON of features to the OS but practically none to the tile system. Now you can add a background, resize the tiles and chose a colour pre-picked by Microsoft.

The third reason was the breakdown of my Lumia 925. I listen music A LOT. And after 1 year of heavy usage my audio port just refused to work properly. After returning it 4 times (!!) to Nokia the port was finally made but due to shipping the phone so much a problem with my motherboard occurred. That was a game-over for a wonderful phone which I still love today. The speakers didn?t work anymore and the audio port just said screw you.

This caused me to loan a phone from a friend, who is a gigantic Apple ******. Yes ladies and gentlemen?s, due to the lack of no money I turned to the dark side and used an iPhone 4s for 4 months. And guess what? It isn?t that bad to be honest. Yes, the interface is outdated and there is no way to customize your interface like you could on a Windows Phone? but it worked. All the apps are there and iMessage is light-years ahead of WhatsApp or BBM in case of speed. Their music app really does work like it should and you have iTunes to sync everything to your phone while you use beautiful software unlike the Windows Phone software that looks like it has been developed in under 5 minutes. BUT, I still missed Windows Phone. The notification centre on Windows Phone is much better then on iOS and the keyboard is so much more pleasant to use. It?s hard to explain but Windows Phone feels much more homely to me.

So in the meantime, while discovering the iOS experience, I saved up for a new phone. And there I was in the shop, looking at a gorgeous white Lumia 930. On the left was a bunch of plastic Samsung?s and on the right the iPhone 5S (since I live in Belgium, every phone you buy is off-contract. The only phone you could chose on-contract is the iPhone 5s/6). And when I went up the counter to ask for a Lumia 930 I saw a HTC one M7 lurking at me in the corner of the room. Since it is the older model they didn?t bother to put it under a shiny spotlight, but it still caught my attention. When tasting the Android experience through the eyes of HTC?s Sense 6 I discovered that Android isn?t as laggy as people told me. In fact, it was as fast as my precious Lumia 925! So there I stood, a HTC one or a Lumia 930. My gut told me to go for the HTC. Why should I pay 500$ for the Lumia 930 if I could get the HTC one M7, which is a great phone, for 400$ AND I can run all the apps I want.

This decision is the reason why I post this, maybe boring, article/blog. My opinion about mobile OS?es has changed. I used to think that it was Windows Phone all the way! In some cases this remains, but mostly on low-end devices. This is THE place where Windows Phone can shine if the developers finally decide to support WP. On the mid-range market I would say it is a tie between iOS and WP. You could score a iPhone 4s or 5 for under 300$ on ebay and this would probably be the better choice. Due to the lack of apps it would be kinda stupid to go for a Lumia 735, a selfie phone, which isn?t able to run Snapchat. I hope you guys see the logic in that! For the high-end I would definitely go with android since you get the most fun for you cash. If you spent 500$ or more on a phone, you should expect to customize everything and be able to run all the apps you want. Yes, if you have Samsung TouchWizz causes the OS to lag from time to time, but on my HTC One with Sense 6 I haven?t experienced any lag in the last couple of weeks.

For the moment being I?m still following Windows Central every day and still supporting the platform (like giving my old 920/925/830 to my family). I?m excited to see what WP10 will bring and if there is a successor to the almighty 1020. Until the app gap doesn?t close I?m sticking with Android, but be aware my WP-loving friends, one day I will return!

Greetings from Belgium!
J. VM

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2015 - A year of change (for me)

I used the HTC One for about six months before dropping it to an early death. Amazing phone. Android isn't terrible with HTC Blinkfeed and Sense. Widgets are fun. Overall, l felt it had a lot of lag when loading and using apps vs. iOS, but still better than the "... ... ..." of Windows Phone

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

If only Sony make windows version of the xperia devices, windows phone is the clear OS to me, no more switching to other os if that happens.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

My 920 is starting to act up a bit so I have decided to put in an order for the Note 4. Just didn't find the current WP line up compelling enough and couldn't wait until the next round of releases. I'll still hang on to my 920 though since I love the phone.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

aww, don't ambassadors have to sign the non-conversion-to-other-oses agreement? ;)

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone was a refreshing change, but not enough

I do still feel that WP has potential, and it's certainly a welcome change in UI to the icon based iOS and Android plattforms.

Sadly the lack of stable mail app, and app support in general was to much to pay for a change in scenery.

Today i retired my Lumia 930 and went back to iPhone.

My kids still has WP and they will continue to have it due to the much more stable OS compared to Android phones.

The experience with WP and Lumia 930 has made me appreciate both iOS and Iphone more. But also showed me that WP (if developed right) is not better bur Aldo not necessarily worse on all accounts. It's often just different.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows phone was a refreshing change, but not enough

I get the app support, but lack of stable mail app? One built is not stable? I disagree, a lot.

Btw, you probably left at worst time, just now when we are so near W10, but hey, you should do what makes you happy. Maybe I would also have a iPhone if I had 700 bucks for it.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows phone was a refreshing change, but not enough

At least you gave it a shot and actually tried it. I agree it is different which is what drew me to the platform initially. I came from Android in 2012. By the way what mail apps did you try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion