Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it time to leave windows phone?

MS will probably release more low end phones. They are a business, and that's where they are making money...
Probably time for you to move on. It sounds as if you have already made your decision.

Even if WP is ultimately doomed, I will be staying until the light goes off. It's still the best OS....

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I totally understand you. I also have the L920 and i would like to find a Lumia that would take my breath because of its design and usability just like what happened with the 920. I would suggest you to wait and see the w10 preview and the promised flagship.

Patience is a virtue

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

"Promised flagship"?
Hardly sounds like a decent choice of high-end stuff is coming. Just a rumour of a possible device.

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

I was waiting but have now bought a second hand 930 off ebay. Battery reports of them being rubbish do not seem to affect both my mates with them so figured id risk it. 1520 was the dream sort of but the phone is just too big for me. I'll get used to no glance I suppose.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

MWC is next month if you can hold wait until then. You will at least see what they have in the cards. From what it seems no new devices will be released until W10 comes out later this year. I ordered a note 3 yesterday but I will keep my 920 and install the preview when it becomes available and keep my eye on w10 in the mean time.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Just ask Samsung what happens when you put all your eggs in a flagship basket. Emerging markets is exactly where MS should be focusing.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

just wait for the flagship.Android phones looks good from far but when you start using them, then no doubt you'll be missing WP

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Funny thing is I recently moved from a Sony xperia Z2 to a Lumia 730. I wanted to buy the 930 but thought the overheating issue is bad. So I bought the 730 and wow was that a good decision.

So I recommend to buy the 735 while waiting for a flagship. Just like what I did.

However if you're still headstrong in buying an android, I recommend the Sony xperia line, best Android phones out there.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

My thing with android is, everyone thinks they are perfect, they are not...I personally don't trust them with my data...Believe me, I had an android before and liked how much I could customize it, but I won't be leaving WP personally over the hardware. My L920 runs great, no lag, and all the features would be tough to find on new phones. Do Android phones even have glance? Not talking about Samsung's thing, because that IMO doesn't work great. GL on you decision!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

You have to answer that question for yourself weather you should leave or not but I have to tell you, if you love this platform as you sound like you do, it will be the toughest decisions you'll make to leave and even harder to stay gone. This platform is like no other and even with the few shortcomings it has currently, its poised to be THE contender this year and the next. But like I tell anyone standing on this precipice, DO YOU! It is not up to us to decide for you.
Something about this platform got you here and was working for you and running away from it as if it didn't really mean as much as you thought. It happens I guess. You won't find this on ios and definitely not on a google phone. But you got to decide for you. If a google phone is on your mind, go and be happy.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I just watched a podcast from pocket now. Never watched one before. M. Fischer was a real proponent of WP. You can tell he was frustrated, trying to force his excitement for the 830 he was reviewing. Also mentioned Office apps incongruity on other mobile platforms. While we are promised 'we haven't forgotten about you'. It's like a parent showing favoritism to another child, from another family. At first I rationalized it all, but that is getting difficult.

If app developers dont see you supporting your own platform, how do you expect them to? (BofA,Chase) As someone said before; I am here and not leaving.

But I have a condition. I need a flagship device with better Microsoft services than Android of iOS.
The next two quarters are more than reasonable.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I have to admit, things look a little weak right now. We have a bunch of promises but nothing to show for it. Buy a nice android or Apple device and check back in a year or so to see if we are still around. It's called freedom of choice. Good luck.

wtf_aleks

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Switch to Android? + Windows Concept

​I've been a huge Metro fan and supporter since the earliest Zune days, and even now with my 830, but I think what I am expecting to see out of Windows will never happen. Maybe someone can talk me out of switching to Android (after I see what the Windows 10 Preview is like on my phone).

I've been working on a concept for WIndows 10 that I don't really even want to finish, because I genuinely want to see every feature I've included and I know it won't happen. My ideas expand upon MixView, pinned lock screen app, the comeback of hubs and extensions to support them (like AIM and Yahoo Messenger extensions for the Messaging Hub), and output via a wireless display technology or HDMI that doesn't mirror the phone screen layout but displays the Windows 10 start screen/menu as an adaptation for a larger screen. Maybe I'll decide to finish it sometime in the future.

Microsoft is on an understandable path in supporting other platforms beyond it's own to the fullest, which is smart. That's where the people are. But the lack of support for us, the people standing behind their failing platform, is not acceptable to me anymore. Not to mention the seemingly constant drop of support from third-party apps and developers.

Am I wrong to want to switch to Android?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switch to Android? + Windows Concept

Do what makes you happy and fits you best. Try different things, experiment. How could you be wrong in wanting to, or considering to switch to something you may think would be better for you, personally?

Piratelooksat40

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Going to leave WP for an Iphone

I have stuck it out as long as I can. Having worked at Microsoft for 17 years, and having a brother that is still there, the kool-aid runs extremely deep in my veins. I have had nothing but Windows phones. I remember the first Windows phone I got was an Orange test phone and used if for years, A Samsung flip windows phone and the Motorola one that looked like a blackberry. I then got a Samsung and moved to a Nokia 830 and now have a Nokia 930. However, I believe I am going to finally make the switch. This is really not a decision that I have taken lightly, but I am just tired of trying to fight it. I know that Windows 10 is coming, and this time it is really going to be the savior(Just like Windows 8 and 7 were before). But here are the reasons that I have finally decided to give up.

• Apps! I am sick of seeing things that integrate into a phone that I know I can never have. For once, I would like to make a decision between hundreds of products and know that it is going to work with my phone, instead of looking for the 1 product that will work with my phone.
  • Music. Zune was fantastic. Xbox music is an abortion. I have waited years for an improvement. Why should I wait any longer?
  • Flagship phone: I went to the ATT store this weekend to look around. They told me they discontinued the 1530. All they have is low end Windows phones. Microsoft is not saying anything about a new flagship phone.
  • Bank of America: Bank of America is now killing their app. That was the app the broke the camel's back for me.

Maybe all of this will be fixed when Windows 10 will come out. My bet is just like windows phone 8, it will come out and then they will have to add sme more stuff and tell people to wait for Windows 10.1, then it will be fixed or added. The best case is a year away. So I have a choice to upgrade my phone now, get all the neat cool features, then in a year when WP10 comes out, I can switch if I want to, or I can stick it out another year with my WP8, and be frustrated.

Best of luck to everyone. I truly hope the phone gets to where we all want it to be. Hopefully, I will be back.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
re: Switching platforms|Thinking of leaving...comment here!

So after a few months with my Nokia 930 I think I'm going to shelf it for a while. Nokia 930 a great phone when it comes to hardware but I don't like Windows Phone which is simply too limited for my taste. Microsoft haven't implemented the features that I need and Windows Phone is not the Swiss army knife that other mobile OSes can be, which is really strange regarding how much money and manpower Microsoft has. So I've decided to go back to BB10 which is OS I have liked the best so far after Symbian which is dead. We'll see if Microsoft can get their thumbs off their **** and actually produce something that is more near the competitors, so I will wait for Windows 10 and see if it improves the Nokia 930.

This however, doesn't mean I'm going to stop coming back to this forum.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

I don't like Android on phones. It's boring and just not on par with Windows Phone's user experience.

I don't know about you but I'm not leaving WP anytime soon. Everything about Windows Phone is superior. The app selection is subjective. I find myself actually saying 'meh' to the Play Store. Sure there are more options but I didn't find the Play Store to be such a big advancement for me to switch.

Lately I'm beginning to disagree with you. Though the app gap has improved somehow, I still see issues with this. The apps we do have are so basic bare and bones compared to their counterparts on iOS and Android. As much as I'm a Microsoft guy and love the OS, I find myself tempted to jump over to an iPhone. Android even with its latest version, Lollipop, is so unstable that I'd never touch it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Going to leave WP for an Iphone

I made the jump to a 6+ this weekend. As much as I hate to admit it, Outlook (Acompli) does indeed work better on the iPhone. AutoCAD 360 has finally been updated to be actually usable and CamScanner has also been tweaked. WP's version of CamScanner is still better than the iOS version but AutoCAD 360 doesn't exist for WP. I'm keeping my 1520 in my drawer for the day Windows 10 finally comes. I could sell it to offset the cost of the 6+ and the bottle of Preparation H associated with an Apple purchase, but I know I'd regret it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On another note, the Missus and I joined two other couples this weekend for some spirits and dancing. In the midst of all this tomfoolery, my wife's friend picked up her Ativ S Neo, which she had never seen or heard of WP, and just went right through it snapping pics, shooting video, uploading to my wife's FB account and never once asked how anything worked. I'm talking about a woman who still uses a flip phone. I thought that was impressive and shows the ease of use with WP.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Going to leave WP for an Iphone

I made the jump to a 6+ this weekend. As much as I hate to admit it, Outlook (Acompli) does indeed work better on the iPhone. AutoCAD 360 has finally been updated to be actually usable and CamScanner has also been tweaked. WP's version of CamScanner is still better than the iOS version but AutoCAD 360 doesn't exist for WP. I'm keeping my 1520 in my drawer for the day Windows 10 finally comes. I could sell it to offset the cost of the 6+ and the bottle of Preparation H associated with an Apple purchase, but I know I'd regret it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On another note, the Missus and I joined two other couples this weekend for some spirits and dancing. In the midst of all this tomfoolery, my wife's friend picked up her Ativ S Neo, which she had never seen or heard of WP, and just went right through it snapping pics, shooting video, uploading to my wife's FB account and never once asked how anything worked. I'm talking about a woman who still uses a flip phone. I thought that was impressive and shows the ease of use with WP.
This is exactly what am talking about! Not the first time that I hear that even the Microsoft apps are better on the other platforms. Believe me, even if I go over to an iPhone, I'll continue to use the Microsoft app ecosystem since am really invested in it. I love OneDrive, have lots of music on Xbox and use Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss