02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 4950515253 ...
tools
    It's been 2 years and the phone was clearly on its last legs... I was hoping to wait till trying windows 10 on it but the touch was acting weird and after a couple of falls a small damage was sustained on the display. Battery life was deteriorating.. I decided it was time for a new phone anyways...
    Thought about 950xl.. Yeah the hardware was class leading just like lumia 1520 but I didn't want to get trapped again by a poor app ecosystem.. So decided to get a nexus 6p..

Anyways it was a great phone... Crippled in some ways by poor app ecosystem including Microsoft software.. If that situation truly changes and the app quality matches the competing platforms I'll surely be back coz wp was really good in many ways...
    12-26-2015 10:37 PM
    I tried the latest insider build in my 920 and honestly i feel things have improved a lot. Now i feel very sad about leaving this beautiful OS behind and moving over to android due to app gap :( Hopefully i might like the oneplus 2 and android experience.
    12-27-2015 04:18 AM
    Im moving to android today, LG G4. After 2 years on windows phone I only get strugel, apps out of date and much apps missing like snapchat, youtube... I was waiting for windows 10 and now i hade enough, we were promised new facebook app and instagram and messenger but what we got? only facebook. Windows is one big disappointed, so this is my final goodbye to windows phone and windows central, it was a pleasure to be a part of community.
    Farewell lads.
    Timbre70 and Austin Angus like this.
    12-28-2015 03:52 AM
    I bought the oneplus 2 today. Moving on to android world.
    12-29-2015 01:21 PM
    I bought the oneplus 2 today. Moving on to android world.
    Gonna get lenevo Vibe S1. Gonna move soon in sme weeks. Selling off my two month old Lumia 640XL :( after being in WP environment for lika two and half years
    12-29-2015 01:26 PM
    It is with regret that I am leaving the Windows Phone platform today :-(

Unfortunately, the app gap has caught up with me and I feel like that after three years on the platform, it's time to move on.

I've had four Windows Phones during my time on the platform:
    • Nokia Lumia 520
    • Huawei Ascend W1
    • Nokia Lumia 630
    • Microsoft Lumia 535

All of them offered a smooth experience, with most of the devices (excluding Huawei) has had Windows 10 Mobile (build 10586.36) even handling it well.
    I continue to use my Lumia 520 for Windows 10 Mobile testing purposes, but as for the daily driver, I've moved over to the dark side, Android.

My new daily driver is a Wileyfox Swift, which offers 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 and Cyanogen 12.1 (Android 5.1.1).

I'll still be around here helping people however, and I'll still be testing Windows 10 Mobile on my low end 520, but as my daily driver is concerned, it's goodbye for Windows Phone.
    emjey and broar94 like this.
    01-01-2016 10:29 AM
    After 16 months of using Windows Phone on Lumia 830 and 640 (both of which had to be sent for repair due to very prominent flaws btw) I have left the platform for several reasons. First of all, Windows 10 for Mobile is ante portas and from what I hear and know the transition from old WP 8.1 on earlier Lumias is less than flawless. Especially concerning battery life there seems to be a high price to pay for upgrading.
    Second, I observed Microsoft's queue of newly released devices and I am very disappointed by what the company announced and offered the last months (severe problems with WM10 on brand new flagships, underwhelming budget devices in terms of hardware (Snapdragon 2*, really?)).
    This and recent utterances from MS's CEO is leading me to believe, that the company has given up on the platform. About Microsoft's strategy we can only speculate. In the end, two big players in the mobile market might be just enough. Possibly, after years from now, Microsoft will have gained some profit from desktop's Windows nimbus shining on the world of mobiles if they convince their shareholders to continue sinking money like they are doing now. However, Microsoft might be better off using what is already the dominant platform in mobile space, then and tweak it to their good. They are already cooperating with Android phone vendors like Samsung in regard of integrating their services for the user. OneNnote on my Galaxy phone is just as convenient to use and a fast app as it is on WP 8.1 if not faster.
    For now, I see Windows Mobile dead in the water. Selling the hardware now seems a better option than to wait for WM10 and to wake up to a nasty reality of novel bugs and battery life cuts.
    01-03-2016 03:43 AM
    Time for me to get something cheaper but just as good as the lumia 950.. and its only 99 pound
    Still got the lumia 1020 but that's lock and contract has ended plus the screen is crack.. but I need something new and fast
    lumia 950 would be the only thing I would get, but lets see what comes later when money is not as bad. I wish Microsoft made their phone cheaper or had a true mid range phone

But like I said...windows phone is something special.. its just pushed me to going to android
    screenshot-81-.jpg

UMI-ROME-GOLD | UMI Rome Gold 16GB Unlocked & SIM Free - Laptops Direct
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-05-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    01-05-2016 08:28 AM
    Switching at the end of the month for both me and my wife. Windows Mobile/Windows Phone has been the only smartphone OS I have ever used, but it's just time to move on. Apps have never been a problem for me in the past, but it's starting to finally become a pain for mobile banking, home DVR, smart home stuff, etc. And after seeing the OS bugs in Windows 10 mobile, I just can't see the benefit with staying and hoping when I can go buy a unlocked good Android phone for $200-$300 off contract and load it up with all my favorite MS apps anyway.

I will keep mine and my wife's 830's as backup devices and may put my SIM in it every now and then to see if anything has improved, so I may be back, but for me to keep saying "Windows Phone may not have all the apps, but it has enough for my needs right now" is becoming hard and harder to say as there are more gadgets and services I want to use that just don't' have Windows Phone apps/support.
    01-08-2016 08:43 AM
    After four years, and four phones (800, 820, 920, 930), with the 930 having some issues (the screen lift, the mic problem) I was really looking forward to 950XL. After more than one year of waiting, I can say that 950XL didn't live up to my expectations. For a premium phone price tag, I really don't think that the experience in nearly premium. The back cover squeaking after a few openings, the win10 feels like it's incomplete, and even though I knew what I signed up for in terms of apps, after four years I cannot tolerate the missing apps anymore. I jumped on the Windows Phone train because of Nokia, and in time I got to love the OS.. but I am thinking more and more to switch to an IPhone.
    01-11-2016 05:14 AM
    After nearly 5 years with various WP (7-8.1, and even some 10 if you count my wife's phone) and on different carriers, I feel somewhat ashamed to admit it but I may be jumping ship. My WP journey started with the HTC Trophy on Verizon. I ordered it the same day it was released, and once getting it, I fell in love with the OS. That phone lasted until just shy of my two year upgrade, and even survived a flight off of a roller coaster! I loved it, it was sturdy, it ran great. Anyway, at the time, Verizon had no other WP available, so I made the jump to AT&T with my first ever Lumia 920. Oh man was that phone amazing! Then came a replacement 920, and then a 1020. I was so impressed with the camera on that 1020, that I used it exclusively as my honeymoon photo shooter. The shots we got were amazing. I replaced the 1020 with the HTC One (M8) WP, and then jumped ship to Android this past summer, with a Galaxy S6. Hated the thing, and luckily my mother-in-law wanted an Android, so I convinced her to take over payments for my S6, and I went back to my old 1020, which coincidentally I had to replace prior due to the random-shut offs and not allowing calls in. I missed too many client calls and alarms in the morning and it needed to be replaced. When I turned it back on and updated it, it worked fine for about 4 months, but now the battery hardly lasts half a day for me, the screen gets random hues of blue, and the camera no longer focuses on close in shots. Not to mention it turns itself off and on, without warning, all by itself. It needs replacing. Which brings me to my dilemma.

I awaited a WP10 device, just like so many others on here, and I was excited to see the 950 had come out on ATT, but disappointed to see that the 950xl had not. My wife immediately purchased a 950, she didn't care, she loves WP too (possibly more than I do, which is sad since I converted her from Android back with the 920). She's had battery problems, failed updates, calls not coming through and texts too. She doesn't care, and she loves it regardless. I want a stable WP10 device, with a good camera, but I just don't see it yet.

Sadly, I can't wait, as my 1020 battery drops roughly 20% every 20-30 minutes spent on the phone or browsing forums on the internet. Am I being fickle and should I suck it up, and just purchase the 950 from ATT? I can't really afford 700ish all at once for the 950xl from the MS Store, so my first choice is out.

Or should I give in and try another Android and see if it's any more enjoyable than my previous Androids (Original Droid, Droid Turbo, S6)? If I do this I'll be getting either a LG G4, or a LG V10.

Or should I go to the really dark side and spring for something I've never tried before, and jump on an iPhone 6s+ (I honestly can't believe I even said this out loud)?
    01-11-2016 08:47 PM
    Just found out my company is moving to Google For Work; while Office "won't be removed" but people will be strongly encouraged to adopt Google. FML. Crying into my Lumia 930 right now. 😭

I was actually looking at a Nexus 5X earlier this week (prior to the news), but now that I feel like I'll be forced to drop WP I'm kind of upset.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-2016 06:31 PM
    I've been with windows phone since WP7. I loved WP8. Windows M10 has been a disaster for me so far and I've had it. I've lost count on how many times my phone rebooted while doing basic stuff like taking a picture or answering a call or sending a text. Here are the issues I constantly have to deal with

1) Rebooting while taking a picture
    2) Taking a picture and getting an error message that won't go away until I reboot the phone
    3) Rebooting while on a call
    4) SMS crashing when attaching stuff
    5) Rebooting while opening messaging app
    6) Excessive battery drain. I have a 1520 and I've been recharging before my workday is over. Seriously? This phone used to last twice as long!
    7) Here Drive became absolutely unusable. I was forced to purchase copilot.
    8) Volume control thinks my phone is connected to my car's bluetooth when it is not. I can't adjust the volume when this happens and need, guess what, a reboot.
    9) Why do I have to wait a few seconds for my newly taken pictures to appear on the photos app?
    10) Groove music listing the same songs 3 or 4 times. Come on! I've completely stopped using this POS and I am now on spotify
    11) Editing a picture on 3rd party apps like camera360 and the picture gets competely corrupted. Seriously?

There are great things about the OS as well, especially Cortana but the horrible experience I've had performing basic stuff like taking a photo is what kills it. It's been fun being a part of this small community of loyal WP fans but it's time for me to move on. I may come back to WP camp one day if things get better but for now, I am moving to iOS. Yes, I'll be an iSheep soon.
    01-20-2016 01:27 AM
    Well you just could go back to 8.1 where everything works fine for you and wait a few more months before upgrading to 10 again in the hope bugs will get ironed out until then.

Why change a working system without the need to do so?
    01-20-2016 01:36 AM
    Why change a working system without the need to do so?
    Because the 8.1 working system has remained static.
    And 10 isn't working either.

OP I understand and acted similarly last year, I no longer use an iPhone as of now, but I think you'll be satisfied. iOS has impressed me with 8.1-grade reliability.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    01-20-2016 01:39 AM
    Kind of at my wits' end with Windows Phone at this point. I really want to continue using it, but it's not easy.

I'm sitting here right now, looking at my 930 plugged into my PC, thinking about whether to go back to 8.1 or not. I lost a really important video because I was unaware that recent builds have a bug that messes up audio recording on my model, so a major momento is now kind of useless. I'm angry, to be honest. I know, I know, "test build", "own risk", blah blah - but I don't think that should be true anymore. We now have proper WP10 phones on the market, and that excuse shouldn't apply now.

I love the look and feel of WP10 but, aside from the video/audio recording bug, I'm fed up with the day-to-day hassles with this thing.

1) Your screen is off, you get a message via Whatsapp/Twitter/anything. Screen lights up, and you click the notification bar. The app can't open. You have to shut the app and maybe even restart the phone to get it working.

2) You were playing a long podcast on Groove and paused it. You bring up the screen again later to play the rest, but Groove isn't functional anymore. You have to restart your phone to make it work, and then find your position.

3) New email alert, click to open, Outlook is not functional. Restart, etc.

4) Edge is just effing useless with all kinds of webpages

5) My favourite of all: you get a PHONE CALL and you can't answer because, like all apps, WP10 can't deal with periods of inactivity. I have to call people back after restarting my phone.

I don't really want an Android phone, and I certainly won't buy an iPhone because I might as well open my wallet and invite Apple to dip in there whenever they feel the need, but I'm really fed up with Windows now. And yeah, I'm looking at that recovery tool so I can at least get video recording to work, but then I remember how miserable the old email app was, especially with long email chains, and I shudder. I've always supported the move to WP10 because I knew WP8.1 was not the stable workhorse that so many superfans insisted it was; it's irritating and buggy too.
    01-20-2016 12:39 PM
    Just found out my company is moving to Google For Work; while Office "won't be removed" but people will be strongly encouraged to adopt Google. FML. Crying into my Lumia 930 right now. 😭

I was actually looking at a Nexus 5X earlier this week (prior to the news), but now that I feel like I'll be forced to drop WP I'm kind of upset.
    Nexus 5X arrived today. Will be a few days before I can really set it up. Feels weird to be so ambivalent about a new device, rather than the usual exuberance.
    01-20-2016 04:11 PM
    I pulled the trigger. Moved to T-Mobile and got iPhone 6s pluses for the family. Taking a break from VZW and WP with the issues from both. So far so good.
    01-20-2016 05:04 PM
    No longer thinking about it - my 930 is gone, and my new LG G4 is on its way. Maybe I'll come back to WP at some point.
    01-22-2016 04:12 PM
    No longer thinking about it - my 930 is gone, and my new LG G4 is on its way. Maybe I'll come back to WP at some point.
    Yeah. Got my iPhone 6$ plus last Friday. Its been bitter sweet. Kinda miss cortana. Siri is not the same. Hate the maps and even though I downloaded here maps I cannot make it default. Miss unishare. Miss live tiles. Endless icons are great. #smh

Well... At least there's no app gap and I can take a picture of a check and deposit it through my bank app!
    01-23-2016 12:34 AM
    To be honest, the switch to Android didn't require me to readjust that much, because I'm using it on tablets since Icecream Sandwich.

And the Galaxy S5 Neo is a great phone: Huge battery runtime (even compared to the L640), fast and responsive interface (with TouchWiz degreased a lot), a fantastic looking AMOLED display and the device being weatherproof with IP-67.
    Actually, there isn't a lot I miss (maybe the text-focused interface of Win8.1, but this is about to be changed with Win10 in favour of Hamburger menus anyway).
    01-23-2016 06:37 AM
    I am in the verge of moving back to another platform from windows phone after using it for 3 years. I have never used an android/ios before and jumped to wp8 from nokia Symbian 3 years back when 920 launched with wp8. My expectation was that the OS will evolve as it looked promising with its concept of live tiles and some great nokia apps too. I saw new apps coming in over the years but at this point the situation is very bad with almost many apps still missing and very bad support for many of the existing apps. Forget local promising apps as they never came nor will come to wp with such given situation. So my question here is if there is someone who shifted from windows phones to android due to such or different problem but later decided to come back to windows phone itself due to some reasons please help me with those reasons as it might help me over consider my decision to move away from this OS which looked promising and looks dead for me now.
    This exactly. I too moved to WP from Symbian hoping that it will be huge step forwards with Symbian as a core. But it's a total mess. Symbian felt so powerful and complete. WP can never give the same feel. I never used android before but now I am totally into android after trying WP for 2 years. The only thing I went to WP was the name Nokia. I liked Symbian before and I love it now. But WP doesn't give the same feel. Android neither, but it is little close to Symbian. I never liked Android but I have no other option. It has it's flaws and shortcomings, but at lease it has all what I need.
    And the most funny thing here is no one is accepting the facts. No one is even ready to listen.
    01-23-2016 01:22 PM
    After years with WP two things r apparent.

1. I'm really starting to feel the app gap. Its REAL. But i digress.

2. Mature and reliable software experience. While i luv certain features of W10M, it just isn't reliable. 8.1 was better but still not as mature as the competition. I miss calls, texts, emails, etc. not everyday but enough so that it matters.

These two critical points make me wonder what I'm missing in a smartphone experience. Everytime I go into a store and look at phones it would seem to be a lot.

"IF" I left WP what would I use? I honestly don't know. While IOS handles both of these problems I don't like following sheep 😊. And how mature really is Android (that's like a real question cause I dunno).

Right now I'm using a 930 on ATT prepaid. When my current card runs out in Feb something is gonna have to give. We'll just have to see what that is.

Just my thoughts.
    01-24-2016 04:07 PM
    Really sad that Microsoft is losing so many customers in mobile. I really enjoy my Lumia 735 with W10. However I see so many posts with problems it's crazy. Maybe I'm just not diving deep enough into the OS to experience such things? Anyhow, at the rate Microsoft is losing customers mobile may have to go....... I mean the market share is small already and getting smaller. I don't know what kind of resources can be dedicated to mobile which probably loses money at this point. Microsoft loves to release **** before its ready (see Xbox one) only to become great or superior later. I'm patient enough to go through growing pains if I trust Microsoft enough to pull through in the near future (Xbox One is amazing now and getting better). But I don't know that I trust Microsoft with mobile because it seems like a black hole at this point and I personally wouldn't blame them for pulling out. Hopefully they push through and make W10 mobile a formidable OS that other manufacturer's will implement on their devices also.
    01-24-2016 05:00 PM
    After years with WP two things r apparent.

1. I'm really starting to feel the app gap. Its REAL. But i digress.

2. Mature and reliable software experience. While i luv certain features of W10M, it just isn't reliable. 8.1 was better but still not as mature as the competition. I miss calls, texts, emails, etc. not everyday but enough so that it matters.

These two critical points make me wonder what I'm missing in a smartphone experience. Everytime I go into a store and look at phones it would seem to be a lot.

"IF" I left WP what would I use? I honestly don't know. While IOS handles both of these problems I don't like following sheep . And how mature really is Android (that's like a real question cause I dunno).

Right now I'm using a 930 on ATT prepaid. When my current card runs out in Feb something is gonna have to give. We'll just have to see what that is.

Just my thoughts.
    It seems like Android varies with which flavor you have. A lot of people say that TouchWiz is bad with Samsung.
    01-24-2016 08:58 PM
5,457 ... 4950515253 ...