02-07-2018 09:50 PM
5,457 ... 5657585960 ...
tools
    I dont mind android, what i don't like is the 3rd party Adds to Apps that pop up, I cant stand all that. You don't see that on WP
    03-01-2016 05:40 AM
    I broke my 1320, so i think its time to test Android lollipop, I'm regret. I miss WP
    03-01-2016 08:17 AM
    Unfortunately, my 950 continues to give me issues so I'm not sure what I will do.
    What issues are you having with your 950? I bought mine yesterday

I bought a crappy ASUS Android phone to manage my home and will get an Android tablet since there aren't apps for my Surface Pro 3, either. :/
    Why not install BlueStacks or equivalent? I use that on my SP3 without issue.
    03-01-2016 09:16 AM
    I broke my 1320, so i think its time to test Android lollipop, I'm regret. I miss WP
    Why try Lollipop when you can try Marshmallow? Marshmallow has some cool features in it.
    03-01-2016 09:42 AM
    yes I think if some one for the time being wants to use android marsmallow then the cheapest best option is xiaomi mi 5, also the advantage is MS might release a ROM for one plus 2, and xiaomi mi 5, so if u dont want to use android anymore u can switch back to wp 10 in the same phone. I also wanted lumia 950, but holding the decision as of now, becz of bugs in wp 10 also price of 950 is out of my budget hence waiting...may b i will buy mi 5 and try android for some days n if i dont like android which i am sure i will not then i will download wp 10 in mi 5...i am in india btw.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-01-2016 10:20 AM
    Grim reading on this thread, but I get it. I just rolled my 830 back to 8.1 to get the firmware update and I'm amazed at how much better 8.1 is compared to the latest W10 build. More responsive, no crashes, and my battery life is probably twice what it was on W10. I think the app gap is getting better with UWP, but W10 has otherwise been a flop for phones.

I'll be replacing the 830 this summer, and at this point I'm strongly considering a Nexus device. I have enjoyed WP since my 900, but the bottom line is that Android has improved a lot since then and Windows has gotten worse, at least with W10 as it stands now.
    chenhogi and libra89 like this.
    03-01-2016 10:48 AM
    I'm on the fence. I've been out of contract for well over a year, but just can't seem to leave WP behind. I'm enjoying W10, but as others have said the app gap is beginning to be too great to ignore. Undecided on iOS or Android, but I'll wait to see what Apple has in store for the iPhone 7 and Microsoft with its Surface line before I make the call.
    03-01-2016 11:14 AM
    Grim reading on this thread, but I get it. I just rolled my 830 back to 8.1 to get the firmware update and I'm amazed at how much better 8.1 is compared to the latest W10 build. More responsive, no crashes, and my battery life is probably twice what it was on W10. I think the app gap is getting better with UWP, but W10 has otherwise been a flop for phones.

I'll be replacing the 830 this summer, and at this point I'm strongly considering a Nexus device. I have enjoyed WP since my 900, but the bottom line is that Android has improved a lot since then and Windows has gotten worse, at least with W10 as it stands now.
    Fully agreed with this. My daily driver is a 930 with 8.1, and I love it. It is a gorgeous OS, very smooth, capacitive buttons, and - above all - live tiles. The Start/live tiles UI is amazing and unparalleled.

I installed W10M on my old 920, and it is frankly garbage. It is painfully slow and despite being close to public release still very buggy. Perhaps it will perform better on my 930, but I don't know how people are happy with W10M on low specification phones.

I was given an LG G4 to mess around with for a few days, and whilst Android has improved greatly, it is still a visual mess. I hate that app icons come in different shapes, and widgets are still a mess from a UI perspective.

iPhone will probably be my choice should I give up on WP, but it is just so boring. Microsoft came up with a truly innovative OS with WP 7 and 8, and it is a shame that the masses never took to it.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-01-2016 12:04 PM
    I'm still carrying two phones. Main driver is my L640 with Windows 10 Fast Insiders Edition because and only because of Cortana and her ability to read my text messages while I have Bluetooth on such as when I am driving. My second phone is the iPhone 6 because of everything else, i.e. apps for my home automation, banking, music, etc. But the app gap is getting old fast. Thinking of upgrading my L640 to the 950. I could really tell the difference with the slower process/less RAM. I grab my iPhone because it is faster to get to the Home screen (thumb scanner vs. 4 digit PIN).
    libra89 likes this.
    03-01-2016 01:04 PM
    Bring the 435 to AT&T.

Interesting thing about Groove Music; on Android it has the dark theme. I think that is the only Microsoft app on Android with the dark theme. Anyway, the store rating isn't much better than it is in the Windows Store. I will say this; playlists populate on the Android app flawlessly every time. On WP 8.1, it takes days, weeks, or months to see all of your playlists in Xbox Music. Plus the cache is never really addressed, so I can actually listen to music I've uploaded to OneDrive, and deleted from OneDrive well over 6 months ago because it is still cached to internal memory on the phone. That might actually be a good thing; synchronization is definitely a lot better on the Android app.

For that reason alone I'm tempted to purchase a cheap Windows 10 phone, that, and the fact that you can finally store maps on the SD card. Although I'm told that Outlook still does not save email drafts periodically.

If anyone is reading this, has the Podcasts app improved in Windows 10? Background downloading isn't an issue for me but seeing results for Podcasts I can't actually subscribe to is.
    03-01-2016 01:32 PM
    settings Everywhere, apps with 1 star rating are in their store too ,its faster to use wp, start screen in wp is so much better and informative.
    Typical. It really sounds like you're just making things up. You leave no real reason, you just try to reflect a couple of Windows Phone problems onto iPhone.

Wow, they have apps with low ratings too, as does everybody. But at least they have a good selection of apps that are frequently updated! They also don't have to use the excuse that the OS and apps are all in beta. As a dev this all gives me ZERO CONFIDENCE in MS's commitment to their mobile platform.

Don't get me wrong I love look of W10M, but face facts; Microsoft is ridiculously behind in mobile and may never catch up. If they ever get a stable OS put together (don't hold your breath on that one) and get the apps available and frequently updated, I'd be back. But I don't have to worry about that, now do I.
    libra89 and chmun77 like this.
    03-01-2016 02:03 PM
    I don't want to be negative. I loved my Icon, and I don't want to move, but I am on Verizon and the choices are nil. Two years after the Icon was released, they don't offer a windows phone with better specs. My phone is really long in the tooth, but Microsoft has no relation with Verizon and I can't move carriers due to coverage. I am down to playing to an inside straight, hoping that the surface phone is both real and headed to Verizon.
    Cant' you can go buy it at MS store outright, no ties to the provider?
    If you eventually get a "free" upgrade from Verizon, pick up an iPhone and sell it on Kijiji to get all the money back :)
    03-01-2016 03:17 PM
    Cant' you can go buy it at MS store outright, no ties to the provider?
    If you eventually get a "free" upgrade from Verizon, pick up an iPhone and sell it on Kijiji to get all the money back :)
    The 950 and 950 XL don't support Verizon.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    03-01-2016 03:21 PM
    The 950 and 950 XL don't support Verizon.
    Oh..
    Or Verizon doesnt support 950s :) Tell them to upgrade their network to proper bands!
    03-01-2016 03:34 PM
    Oh..
    Or Verizon doesnt support 950s :) Tell them to upgrade their network to proper bands!
    Nobody tells Verizon what to do :)
    Laura Knotek and TechFreak1 like this.
    03-01-2016 03:38 PM
    A T-Mobile rep I spoke with says the Galaxy S7 Edge in silver is already on backorder.
    03-01-2016 05:00 PM
    A T-Mobile rep I spoke with says the Galaxy S7 Edge in silver is already on backorder.
    Wow
    03-01-2016 06:02 PM
    I came from android and switched to WP. Started out with the forgotten Lumia 810, Lumia 920 Developer Edition, then the Microsoft 640. I love my Microsoft 640, awesome battery life, performance wise is not too bad, love the loud speaker. I did however have issues with the 640's wifi connection at home, its just slow. All my devices that's connected to my wifi router downloads just fine except for my 640. Had it replaced thinking its a hardware issue but the replacement 640 experienced the same issues so I just sucked it up. I am disappointed that I couldn't save maps to my sdcard for offline navigation, I was really looking forward to that feature on my 640 because my 810 saved maps to the sdcard. I am now back to android and currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and keeping my 640 as a back up. My 640 with a lower battery capacity compared to my Note 4's high battery capacity, kicks my Note 4's butt on battery life! that's for sure. Also I'm able to save maps on my sdcard on android with the Here Maps app and have no wifi issues. I like both platforms, can't wait for the official W10 for my 640 and Marshmallow for my Note 4!
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-01-2016 06:59 PM
    settings Everywhere, apps with 1 star rating are in their store too ,its faster to use wp, start screen in wp is so much better and informative.
    On the other hand, I ditched windows phone and now on iPhone. Man..... It's really an eye opener after staying with windows phone for so long. Facebook (with new emoticons Likes options), Messenger, Whatsapp, Flipboard, Instagram, official Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, MS office apps, Google apps, Manga rock, Overcast podcast player, Drama players, eBook readers, etc etc... I can go on and on. Every single app is working so much better and smoother than on windows phone! In addition to the vast selection of apps, they are also updated regularly! Unlike apps are like totally dead or even abandoned on windows phone. And most importantly, there is no longer Resuming / Reloading nonsense for me when switching apps! Moving between apps on iPhone just work in split seconds!

Start screen in wp? Having only a few lines of text on the email tile is NOT informative at all. Not missing any of it. I can always go into the apps if I ever need any information, instead of waiting for the tiles to be updates / flipped. Static icons? No issue at all! Even Android is removing its app drawer to suit more like iOS home screen. Live tiles is over-rated.
    03-01-2016 08:47 PM
    On the other hand, I ditched windows phone and now on iPhone. Man..... It's really an eye opener after staying with windows phone for so long. Facebook (with new emoticons Likes options), Messenger, Whatsapp, Flipboard, Instagram, official Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, MS office apps, Google apps, Manga rock, Overcast podcast player, Drama players, eBook readers, etc etc... I can go on and on. Every single app is working so much better and smoother than on windows phone! In addition to the vast selection of apps, they are also updated regularly! Unlike apps are like totally dead or even abandoned on windows phone. And most importantly, there is no longer Resuming / Reloading nonsense for me when switching apps! Moving between apps on iPhone just work in split seconds!

Start screen in wp? Not missing any of it. I can always go into the apps if I ever need any information, instead of waiting for the tiles to be updates / flipped. Static icons? No issue at all! Even Android is removing its app drawer to suit more like iOS home screen. Live tiles is over-rated.
    Same here. I bought the 920 on the day it was released. I later moved to an 830 when the 920 started to get a little flaky. And finally the 950XL. While I loved the potential of the phone, there were nagging little issues with sound and notifications that really irked me. For example, I could turn the sound to 8 and it would still vibrate when new texts came in. Apps stuck resuming. Random reboots. Those issues should never have made it to the public. I'm back on an iPhone. I miss the UI of Windows but I welcome the functionality and stability of iOS. The only feature I really miss is the reading of texts automatically over Bluetooth. I really miss that. Hopefully Windows will get it together. If so, I'll return.
    03-01-2016 08:55 PM
    BB has also sold out of ATT's Silver, did my pre-order for Silver on ATT's online site today and with some nudging with their CS they're matching BB's free 64g SD card & VR Headset promo.. Guys on Android Central have already received early shipments(T Mobile I believe).. damn.. Talk about the opposite of the 950XL pre-order debacle LOL... Can tell already The S7 Edge is going to be a huge success..
    03-02-2016 12:51 AM

Start screen in wp? Having only a few lines of text on the email tile is NOT informative at all. Not missing any of it. I can always go into the apps if I ever need any information, instead of waiting for the tiles to be updates / flipped. Static icons? No issue at all! Even Android is removing its app drawer to suit more like iOS home screen. Live tiles is over-rated.
    Yeah, I can relate and agree. Especially on the eBook readers whoa. I was trying out a 5x that I had one installed on, and now I'm trying out iOS. I was shocked to open up the reader and have it ask me if I want to continue where I left off on another device! I have never seen that option in my life on wp. I always had to manually find where I left off and that's very annoying when you are reading a long book (never mind the fact that it crashes too, and sometimes hitting the back button, makes me go way back in the book, welp). Weirdly enough, I don't miss live tiles. It's been almost a month since I used them. I miss the weather on the lock screen though. I like how easy it is to move between apps as well too.

I'm back on an iPhone. I miss the UI of Windows but I welcome the functionality and stability of iOS. The only feature I really miss is the reading of texts automatically over Bluetooth. I really miss that. Hopefully Windows will get it together. If so, I'll return.
    It's funny that you say this, because I feel the same way. I also miss the UI of Windows but I kind of like the simplicity of iOS honestly. I miss the way how Cortana can see into everything like she does on 8.1, but regardless I still have her anyway.
    03-02-2016 08:34 AM
    The grass is not always greener on the other side. I recently switched from the Lumia 1020 to the Galaxy 6 Edge Plus mainly due to the quality of the WP apps. Right off the bat, I noticed that wifi worked much better on the Lumia and the settings menu was much more logical among other things. I ditched the Lumia because I was tired of carrying my iPod Touch to use certain apps I wanted, Now I have to carry a RAV power charger with me because the battery life of the Edge Plus is so poor. Looking forward to returning to WP.
    Last edited by 76132texas; 03-03-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    03-02-2016 06:19 PM
    "I ditched the Lumia because I was tired of carrying my iPod Touch to use certain apps I wanted, Now I have to carry a RAV power charger with me because the battery life of the Edge Plus is so poor. Looking forward to returning to WP. "

But what will be the advantage of returning to WP at the current stage of development? It seems either way you will be carrying two devices.
    03-02-2016 08:04 PM
    The grass is not always greener on the other side. I recently switched from the Lumia 1020 to the Galaxy 6 Edge Plus mainly due to the quality of the WP apps. Right off the bat, I noticed that the wifi worked much better on the Lumia than the Edge Plus and the settings menu was much more logical among other things. I ditched the Lumia because I was tired of carrying my iPod Touch to use certain apps I wanted, Now I have to carry a RAV power charger with me because the battery life of the Edge Plus is so poor. Looking forward to returning to WP.
    Go for the S7 Edge, much bigger battery, better camera, all the apps you'll ever desire and like Win 10 check what apps are sneakily running in the background.. Been in both worlds bro and going back to WP is a true step backwards..
    How many times a day do you see "you can download this app at Apple App Store or Google Play"? 99% of the time the Windows Store is missing, sorry after only 6 months of that I'm just tired of it.. GL if you do go back..
    GMC262 and mariusmuntensky like this.
    03-02-2016 09:12 PM
5,457 ... 5657585960 ...