Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Wait until about 3 months or so when the android OS is bogged down, Then let us know how you really feel. I am using my android phone right now as my screen cracked on my 1020. I am dying with how slow and buggy android is. I am checking my mail 10 times a day waiting for my replacement screen....I cannot wait to get my phone back!

Owning several Android devices myself I am not experiencing the phenomenon you claim nor have I seen it to the degree you make it out to be, use my WPs (1020/830) w/W8.1 for work and my LG G4 for everything else, the nature of my job doesn't allow for naked or large phones as they'd be destroyed in no time. I switched due to the fact WM lacked features and "soon" never came, the latter has been exacerbated as of me writing this post. When it comes to any platform they all have their quirks and WM is no different, it does have its merits too but the OS (W10M), IMO, has too many inconsistencies, lacks substantial advancements and the never ending delays are killing the platform, I'm just waiting for the "Denim like upgrade" fiasco to ensue, how many are going to be left out in the cold... Each day is another day older so time is of the essence.

Last edited:

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gave up on Windows Mobile, went to Android

Been a long time Windows Phone user - got a Lumia 800 when they came out, then a 520, 735 and finally 930 with W10M on it
But I've given up and got a Nexus 5X

Just thought I'd leave my thoughts here for anyone else considering it.

I'm finding Android to be really good. The Nexus 5X is a good phone. Nice screen, runs quickly, camera is faster and takes better pics than the 930 and the fingerprint scanner is a good feature.

So, apps. It's not that there are just a lot more of them, the android apps are better than the windows ones. Even the Microsoft ones!
I still use all the Microsoft online services (Outlook.com, Onedrive, Onenote) personally and for work and there's no problem with them on Android.

It's also handy to get more specific apps - for my camera, my guitar pedals, strava for cycling, my bank, local buses etc

Windows Phone is OK, but you always feel it's behind the curve. I liked the interface and the tiles, but it just felt like I was making life hard for myself by sticking with it. Plus the 930 was pretty buggy with W10 - poor reception, random restarts, very slow focus on the camera

Saying that, I'm still using my Surface RT for work haha! Though it's perfect for what I do (going and giving training to loads of different organisations).

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Totally agree about Microsoft apps on Android. The Outlook email app for Android is really good now. Its better than the gmail and exchange apps on my Note 5. OneDrive and OneNote are also very good. Too bad Google doesn't do the same thing with its apps for Windows 10 Mobile.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Really sad that Microsoft is losing so many customers in mobile. I really enjoy my Lumia 735 with W10. However I see so many posts with problems it's crazy. Maybe I'm just not diving deep enough into the OS to experience such things?

I think it depends very much on which phone you bought, and for what reasons, and where your ambitions are with the family. I started with a 620, and I was very happy with it because it was such good value. I later got a 920 after prices had fallen considerably, and again got a great deal - and an even better deal. That phone stood up against anything else around at the time.

But then I got the 930, and it turned out to be an unfortunately timed purchase. WP8 was built for lower spec, lower res phones like the 620. The 920 was a step up, but made 8.1 look pretty slick. The 930 was too far ahead, and made WP8's simplicity look like a lack of sophistication: frankly, toy-like. But WP10 has never really been ready for it, and frustratingly the 930 has suffered a disproportionate number of problems. It's The Flagship That Time Forgot, and to owners like me it felt like the flagship MS forgot. The recent builds have been particularly annoying. The last straw for me was losing an important moment on video because, unbeknown to me, the team had failed to make the OS address the 930's unique mic array (it has 4 directional mics in the corners, which afaik no other WP has) - and so my video has no sound. This, aside from a lack of reliability for many apps including the ones that handles phones calls. Sure, you expect issues on a test build, but a phone that can't answer phone calls? With WP10 phones actually on the market? No.

So I look to the newest flagships, and I see them getting stiffed too, and it feels like MS isn't handling these expensive phones as quality products, and it's not handling the owners as valued customers either. And sure, maybe these things will get fixed, but when, and how? A year ago, we thought common scripting compilers were going to usher in a new dawn of Android/iOS app compatibility, and where is that?

So there we are: 3 phones, a range of experiences from the cheap to the allegedly top-of-the-tree, and I have no confidence that they're actually worth the money. I've found a great deal on an LG G4, which I got for ?200. It's great. This is what I've been missing.

Last edited:

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I started with a humble Lumia 520 because it was the cheapest and more popular than the 620. I didn?t really trust in Microsoft?s Windows Phone ecosystem but I went with it because iOS was too expensive and Android didn?t give me a stellar impression. I expected the camera to be ****ty but was evidently wrong. Yes it didn?t do well in lowlight situations (most phones made at that point of time didn?t) but it did fine in situations where light was generously available. The Yellow made me stand out too.

It was a surprise, how well the phone worked, even though it was not fitted with High end hardware. The apps were fine, albeit slower updates. I then decided to move on to the 920 which was when my inner photographer came to light. I took it seriously.

What truly annoys me is the battery life and how it seemingly heats up for no apparent reason.
These are the others that annoy me :
1. The half assed Facebook app that doesn?t even have the basics worked out. (editing your posts, replying to comments properly, uploads that take forever and often fail, tapping on some notifications opens IE etc etc)
2. Instagram (which is still amazingly in BETA) , I truly believed that it would be updated but was proved to be wrong. Thank goodness we have Rudy Huyn.
3. Random crashes and reboots. T
4. WP8.1 was a messy thing for me, performance wasn?t as great as in WP8.
5. Our own apps by Microsoft isn?t even kept up to date but is on rival platforms ( yes, I know it?s a way to reach out to others but do we really deserve to be treated this way) +1 our wordflow keyboard.
6. APIs that are constricted (seems to be a more secure OS nevertheless).

Conclusion : An OS with great potential, held back by Microsoft's own actions and developers whom arent willing to sail with us.

Will wm10 fix it all? Definitely not but I hope it does. Will I get the 950 or any other Microsoft phone in future? I guess not, unless I win one. It seems that the LG G4 is the way to go for now, it?s a pity that our Malaysian currency is as low as hell.

Well, just to catch your eyes here is one of my pictures taken with my 920.
WP_20151109_20_43_04_Pro.jpg

I can be found on 6Tag (instagram) with the username @vsmh96

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking about switching from Windows phone what should I go to??

I'm thinking about leaving Windows phone where should I go iPhone or android???

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am thinking about switching from Windows phone what should I go to??

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

It appears that you already switched! :angel:

But to answer the question, choose whatever works for you. Features, price, availability, form factor, size, looks, whatever works for you. There is no right or wrong here.

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

It appears that you already switched! :angel:

But to answer the question, choose whatever works for you. Features, price, availability, form factor, size, looks, whatever works for you. There is no right or wrong here.

Haha I hadn't switched yet I was using an android tablet but that's easier said than done. I like the tiles, the stability, and the overall Microsoft ecosystem. IPhone has the stability but not the customization, android from my experience seems to bug out occasionally. Which ever route I choose I seem to be doomed to lose something

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've used Android (Nexus line up until 5), and Windows Phone (up until Lumia 1020) fairly extensively. I'm currently using a S6 Edge. I use iOS for work, as that's what they issue (ipads and iphones).

Here's my take:

Windows Phone, in a vacuum, is generally a more user-friendly OS. Android is the least out of iOS and WP. But, the app gap is a very real issue, and the single largest reason why I could never get comfortable with using a WP device as a daily driver. If it had near-equal footing with Android and iOS on the app front, I probably wouldn't ever even give Android a second glance. Obviously, the app gap...gap is going to differ from user to user, but for myself, virtually non of the conveniences of mobile computing were available on my WP (online banking, credit cards, virtually anything google related, various smart home products, etc). I really don't give a hoot about mobile gaming, so that side of the app gap never bothered me.

There are certainly things I miss about WP now that I'm back on Android. First is the simple integration of Cortana for developers who took advantage of it. Google Now is more useful as a stand-alone, but pretty much utter poop when it comes to integration with third party apps (outside of some very specific ones). Doing something as "simple" as voice control of my Hue lights is a huge ordeal on Android, requiring multiple programs and profiles and code. And, while I like the spirit behind being able to "hack" together solutions, I just think back to how a developer was able to just make it work with Cortana, without any work on the user's part on my WP. This is just one of many examples.

I don't see that app gap closing any time soon. Microsoft clearly doesn't consider WP a priority, and is far more focused on being the software company they actually are and pushing their services to be as platform agnostic as possible (which makes sense).

Android's update philosophy is complete bonkers, and was the main reason I'd stuck with the Nexus line in the past. The sexiness of the S6 Edge won me over to the dark side, however, but who knows if it'll ever see Marshmellow or anything beyond.

For non-gearheads, I generally just tell them to get an iphone. Android just isn't quite user-friendly enough imo for the completely tech-illiterate, and even with all of Android's market share, iOS is still the platform of choice for the majority of social types, and still mostly the first (and sometimes only) destination for most "new" apps and ideas.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
What truly annoys me is the battery life and how it seemingly heats up for no apparent reason.

Both the 920 and 930 had a problem for me with overheating. Have you checked under Settings>Bluetooth to ensure that the two NFC settings are off? They're on by default, and annoyingly the OS will often switch them back on with each major update. They're useless to almost everyone - I've never tapped to share contacts or tapped to pay, and you probably haven't either - but MS has a strange obsession with them. Turn them off, and your phone should become cold to the touch.

It will still heat up with intensive operations, long screen-on periods, watching movies, etc but the issue will be much less pronounced.

Last edited:

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Android's been good for me so far. It takes a lot of work with Nova Launcher and icon packs, clocks, etc to get it looking decent but I like it a lot now (just so much tasteless tat to wade through in the store!). As long as you've got Nova locked as your Home default, it seems to be pretty solid. I expect iPhone is the best ergonomic experience all round, but I don't like having the exact same thing as the next user.

I miss the design of WP10 and the ease of reconstructing the look, but sheer function makes this an easy trade.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

iPhone or Android, any of these are much better than on windows phone. Yes, these two platforms use stale static icons, but you will not be disappointed by the apps selections and updates available from them. In fact, I'm not a fan of the "live" tiles on windows phone at all. I do not even care what's displaying on the tiles because I will launch the apps I need to use instead of reading from the tiles. So, having those static icons on iOS and Android is not an issue for me.

Being on Windows phone for so long (started since during the WP7 ages), I'm already tired of waiting for regional apps to be available for the platform. For every services, I'm seeing apps available on the App store or Google Play only. I don't need customization because I grew tired of it when I was on Android. I just need a stable smart phone for work and play. Furthermore, we can now connect to MS services on both the iOS and Android as well, I'm not missing my cloud services at all although I have left windows phone.

Anyways, depends on your needs and preferences. You will not be missing anything much for either of the platforms out there - as long as is not Windows phones. Some say Android lags, but don't listen to those people. For all my times with Note 4, I don't see any lags at all. Even if so, a tiny bit of lags in exchange for so much more available apps and services on Android, is worth it. :)

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

iPhone or Android, any of these are much better than on windows phone. Yes, these two platforms use stale static icons, but you will not be disappointed by the apps selections and updates available from them. In fact, I'm not a fan of the "live" tiles on windows phone at all. I do not even care what's displaying on the tiles because I will launch the apps I need to use instead of reading from the tiles. So, having those static icons on iOS and Android is not an issue for me.

Being on Windows phone for so long (started since during the WP7 ages), I'm already tired of waiting for regional apps to be available for the platform. For every services, I'm seeing apps available on the App store or Google Play only. I don't need customization because I grew tired of it when I was on Android. I just need a stable smart phone for work and play. Furthermore, we can now connect to MS services on both the iOS and Android as well, I'm not missing my cloud services at all although I have left windows phone.

Anyways, depends on your needs and preferences. You will not be missing anything much for either of the platforms out there - as long as is not Windows phones. Some say Android lags, but don't listen to those people. For all my times with Note 4, I don't see any lags at all. Even if so, a tiny bit of lags in exchange for so much more available apps and services on Android, is worth it. :)

I know what you mean the app selection is what's making me leave. I've been leaning towards apple just because of the stability and the better ms integration, but I like widgets on android its just a super tough decision.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
At first, I thought some posts in this very thread were dramatic, but now I get them. Somewhat anyway. I'm not at that point yet, but when I saw the numbers yesterday in Daniel's article, they shocked me. I have never seen it that low ever. This had me thinking that I need to at least try one of the other sides. I never thought that I would be the one who would say, "yes I want to try Android". My own brother was shocked to hear me say that coming from my mouth.

I don't feel like I'm ready to be done with Windows Mobile, but I do feel like I need to try Android (I would rather try iOS but I can't afford to buy the only one that supports band 12 (the newest, in case you were wondering) at this time) before I decide if I'll like to ride this OS down to the end. For now, the apps I use the most and on a regular basis still work (not as well, but eh). It feels strange actually.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
At first, I thought some posts in this very thread were dramatic, but now I get them. Somewhat anyway. I'm not at that point yet, but when I saw the numbers yesterday in Daniel's article, they shocked me. I have never seen it that low ever. This had me thinking that I need to at least try one of the other sides. I never thought that I would be the one who would say, "yes I want to try Android". My own brother was shocked to hear me say that coming from my mouth.

I don't feel like I'm ready to be done with Windows Mobile, but I do feel like I need to try Android (I would rather try iOS but I can't afford to buy the only one that supports band 12 (the newest, in case you were wondering) at this time) before I decide if I'll like to ride this OS down to the end. For now, the apps I use the most and on a regular basis still work (not as well, but eh). It feels strange actually.
Android really isn't that bad now. Although I had always had an interest in Windows phone I didn't jump on until the Lumia 521 as not only was that phone distinctly better than Androids at the price, it also looked like Windows Phone was finally on the way up. Then Microsoft lost it's momentum (again!). The Lumia 640 is the phone that should've been the followup to the 521/520 back then not now. It has fixed all my issues I had with the 521 but the problem is Microsoft has already lost it's momentum and of course there is still the app gap which we all hope UWP will fix, but again I don't see that happening anytime soon. Sure it might happen but it's been happening since Windows Phone first came onto the market.

Like you Windows 10 mobile catches my interest, but if momentum continues downhill then it's most likely Android for me next.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I'm thinking of trying either iOS or Android, but I'm really not sure which way to go. I currently have a L920, and these are the few things I really like about it:
1) Size. I don't want a phablet
2) Camera, particularly low light and macro stuff. Though I'd love it if it was faster.
3) Ability to use one handed (at least with WP8.1. Not so much the case with WP10)
4) Cortana's location and time based reminders. Though again, I preferred this on WP8.1 as you could pin a tile to the screen to type this in instead of just talking.
5) Keyboard (though it seemed better at Swype type guesses on WP8.1)
6) I'd say live tiles, but the reality is the vast majority I have turned off to save battery/data. The only one I could see myself really missing is the photos tile. I liked how it scrolls through random photos I have taken in the past. I have no idea if there is a way to set up something like this on Android.
7) How dark the WP OS is. I much prefer a black background to stuff over white. Not sure how much tweaking you can do in android, but I don't think this is an option in iOS.

I've used iOS in the past (had a 3Gs before the L920), and have squat experience with Android. I recall getting very frustrated with some of the iOS limitations, but I have no idea if it is still that bad. It looks like it has changed a good deal since I used it (but still no back button, not sure I like that).

I know one advantage of iOS would be Facetime. Whenever I use Skype with an adult I don't have problems. But if my kids are in the room yelling/screeching the high sound seems to make Skype just kill the audio from the other end during that point. But I have no idea how much this would actually matter, as most of the people I Skype with don't have iPhones, so I'd still be using Skype most of the time.

I've also heard horror stories about the 3rd party iOS keyboards. Not sure I like that as I like the swype type interface. And the lack of OIS on the iPhone 6s worries me. Then again, it sounds like the camera on several of the Android phones are not great either. Might make sense to wait a couple months and see what Samsung, LG, etc. come out with. But I've also heard the stock Android experience is better (Nexus line).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm eligible for an upgrade through Verizon right now.
They're tempting me with $200 an iPhone 6s Plus.
I have a 1520.3 ready to go should I not bite on their offer.
It's a tough decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3