Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
When people go on and on about how customizable android is and how open it is, I laugh. Because at the expense of what? A consistent design ui? Windows 10 mobile has it's own design quirks but this is a rewrite and android has been this way since day one and then you add in the fact those very customizations are what delay the updates in the first place and cause performance issues, it's precisely why if I ever officially left windows mobile, it would be for an iPhone.

Shame android is popular

Yeah, if had to choose a non W10M phone right now it would be a 6s+

Kristiyan Bogdanov

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, if had to choose a non W10M phone right now it would be a 6s+

I just did that 2 months ago... I don't even want to explain... I just gave up... I still love Microsoft though! And I still follow W10M's development closely, and the forums (duh...)
P.S. The iPhone is not bad at all, not ugly as it was before 6.. same applies for the OS after iOS7... :) Microsoft apps sure work well on it :)))

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
When I was at an att store on Saturday looking at the LG G4 I also checked out the iPhone 6s Plus. That is a FAST phone. It's still a boring iPhone but it is blazing fast.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
When people go on and on about how customizable android is and how open it is, I laugh. Because at the expense of what? A consistent design ui? Windows 10 mobile has it's own design quirks but this is a rewrite and android has been this way since day one and then you add in the fact those very customizations are what delay the updates in the first place and cause performance issues, it's precisely why if I ever officially left windows mobile, it would be for an iPhone.

Shame android is popular

I think you may have misunderstood the meaning of customization. You can do more with the platform, ie. adding more toggle controls on the pull-down notification shade, bigger icon grid size on the home screens, have a more informative lockscreen etc etc while MAINTAINING the consistent UI. Do you remember how pathetic windows phone is on WP8.1 where we can have only like 4 toggles on the notification shade instead of what we are seeing now with W10M? Android offers much more flexibility than other mobile OSes out there. It's like the old windows mobile. Why do you think we are seeing Samsung making new flagships with curve screens capabilities, or the Notes series with powerful stylus controls which harness the openness power of Android? And here we are with the new W10M flagships, which are looking just a boring as the old Lumia series with nothing groundbreaking at all but always about how good the camera is and that's it?

There are no delays with updates for the pure Android Nexus series. What's "delaying" are the OEMs - and they delayed the updates for a purpose and that's to sell more of their latest flagships instead of focusing on the older models. Performance issues - which platform doesn't has performance issues? W10M has its performance issues too, so does WP8.1. If there are no performance issues, there will not be any updates and patches for a platform at all.

I'm not rooting for Android here but there are really lots of people like you who totally misunderstood the openness of Android. It is like a knife - one can make good uses of it, while others may misuse it in awful ways.

I do agree with your last point - I have left windows phone and hopped onto the iPhone bandwagon instead of Android - mainly because of better apps quality and selections. But if I want to do more on a mobile platform, Android will be my choice instead of Windows phone and iPhone.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
When I was at an att store on Saturday looking at the LG G4 I also checked out the iPhone 6s Plus. That is a FAST phone. It's still a boring iPhone but it is blazing fast.

Well, is the quality apps which make iPhone more interesting rather than the phone itself. On the other hand, windows phone has interesting "live" tiles concepts but its apps are making the platform boring. Android has interesting hardware as well as software, which is why it is so popular among the 3 platforms.

Brian Spangler

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm incredibly done with Windows Phone. I have the 640 with Windows 10 on it and it's intolerable in almost every way. Now, for what I paid for it last year when I changed carriers and had to sell my M8, it was a good value, however that's changed. As the mid-range Android phones get better and better and as Microsoft has shifted the bulk of their development to Android, there is no longer a compelling reason to stay on a beta platform. Every single piece of software Microsoft makes is better on Android. I can get a Moto G 3rd Gen for $199 new or a Moto X Pure Edition for $399. I can get a Honor 5x for $199 or a Nexus 6 for $349. The 650 is DOA. Nothing has been improved. They'd have been better served to make an aluminum shell for the 640. Anyways, this is a bit of a rant but I've been on the Windows Phone train since 7.0. I only left for the M8 when it was released. I had the Titan and Titan II before that. I'm over Microsoft's mobile ambitions, and clearly, they are too.

baichibird

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I am still using my Lumia 920 (the blue one).I love its design so much and I couldn't find any similar phone to replace it.While the app gap got me and the Windows Phone 8 store is bad,I am thinking about Sony Z4 instead.The first reason is still about design.It looks beautiful and not like other Android phones.Lots of people prefer Sumsung but I don't like it.I watched lots of review vedios and read lots of information online.I know that the hardware and functions of Sony X4 is not as good as latest Sumsung or iPhone,but I still love it.

dietanu

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I've been switching phones for way too long. From on iPhone 2G I upgraded to an iPhone 4 back in 2010 and used it until 2013. I then tried Samsung Galaxy S3 and it was horrible. I really hated it, so I returned it and continued using the iPhone 4 until I saw the Lumia 920, but I had a bit of bad luck with it. I had bought 5 (!) of them and every one had it's issues, like bad mounted displays, constant reboots and so on. Finally, I gave up and got a Moto G for a year, which worked ok, but I still hated the OS (even if it got better since the S3 days). I started coding an WP App in Visual Studio for my weather station project, this time, I bought a cheap Lumia 630 to test it "live", I continued to use the Moto G until it broke. I was trying an iPhone 6 and it was nice and shiny and... unpersonal - and way to expensive for my taste, so I gave it back and opted for an Sony Xperia Z3 with a much better Android OS since the S3 days, but this gave me problems like 30min+ for a reboot when (what oftens had happend) an app hung up the whole phone. The dealer where I still have warranty for this phone "couldn't find any problems" and will send it back to me in the next days. Nice. Sony does awesome cameras (I love my a6000), but Smartphones are not good in my mind. 4 weeks ago, after being so annoyed about those reboot issues with the Z3, I grabbed my Lumia 630 out of the drawer and I tell you, I love this little phone. I've used it parallel for a long time and yep, it's kinda old, has a not so well display and a very fat friendly glass on top of it, but it's amazing. Typing ehm... swying on it rocks and speeded up my messages on Twitter and eMail etc is much more precise than everything I've tried on Android (Swiftkey, the Z3 swype keyboard). The camera is bad, no flash LED on this tiny phone, but I still like it. I admit, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 550. I've played with it in a store and also with the 650 and the 950. I don't like AMOLED, I'm an IPS guy, on my Windows Desktop and also on phones. OLED only looks good on the current LG TVs in my mind ;)

Howevery, that's my story. I think I will be fine with the low 550. I have nearly all the apps I need. Tweetium for Twitter, a package tracker, My 500px, 6tag, my Moerser Wetter app or course, IMDb, MetroTube, of course Outlook for my Outlook.com Account and Office for my Office 365 sub. I just miss the photoTAN app for my bank, but as I've a separate device, it's ok. I can live with that. Yeah... from a flagship Android to an old, low powered Lumia 630 is a strange way to go.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood the meaning of customization. You can do more with the platform, ie. adding more toggle controls on the pull-down notification shade, bigger icon grid size on the home screens, have a more informative lockscreen etc etc while MAINTAINING the consistent UI. Do you remember how pathetic windows phone is on WP8.1 where we can have only like 4 toggles on the notification shade instead of what we are seeing now with W10M? Android offers much more flexibility than other mobile OSes out there. It's like the old windows mobile. Why do you think we are seeing Samsung making new flagships with curve screens capabilities, or the Notes series with powerful stylus controls which harness the openness power of Android? And here we are with the new W10M flagships, which are looking just a boring as the old Lumia series with nothing groundbreaking at all but always about how good the camera is and that's it?

There are no delays with updates for the pure Android Nexus series. What's "delaying" are the OEMs - and they delayed the updates for a purpose and that's to sell more of their latest flagships instead of focusing on the older models. Performance issues - which platform doesn't has performance issues? W10M has its performance issues too, so does WP8.1. If there are no performance issues, there will not be any updates and patches for a platform at all.

I'm not rooting for Android here but there are really lots of people like you who totally misunderstood the openness of Android. It is like a knife - one can make good uses of it, while others may misuse it in awful ways.

I do agree with your last point - I have left windows phone and hopped onto the iPhone bandwagon instead of Android - mainly because of better apps quality and selections. But if I want to do more on a mobile platform, Android will be my choice instead of Windows phone and iPhone.

I fully understand what customization is and what android is about as I (stupidly) used it exclusively from its inception in 2008 to 2012 when I finally left that frustration for Lumia where I am happy.

I am not sure how it is pathetic or makes WP 8/8.1 inferior because we couldn't have such trivial things such as more than 4 toggles on the notification bar. Personally, while I love Windows 10, I hate how android it has become in its UI and I think Microsoft is sadly forced to conform to a narrow minded perception of bland users(android fans) to find any semblance of success and that is a double-edged sword. In hopes of getting Windows Phone to have relevance they have to emulate their competitors while at the same time they have isolated their own userbase by tearing apart the uniqueness and consistency of Windows Phone 7/8 in favor of the android like design we have now in Windows 10.

I personally find Samsung's new edge to look like a suppository and is easily the worst designs to date from Sansung. Despite their cheap plastic, I greatly preferred Samsung's earlier designs for Galaxy(especially the GS4).

I personally don't find flashing roms or changing icon sizes or having a bunch of BS on my lockscreen cool, innovative, or interesting in the least. I personally don't find an ugly grid of icons and having to scroll from page to page attractive. I also don't find the intrusive notifications appealing of android.

all the power and openness of android is largely irrelevant for me and most Windows Phone because the OS itself is truly nothing special. Windows 10 is an OS for me, that with its growing pains, connects me from whatever platform I am on and Microsoft's strengths with their apps allow me to fully be able to leave one aspect if I wished(for example: Windows Phone) and go to Android/IOS. IOS nor Android are powerful enough where I can connect my gaming, my tablet, my PC, my desktop, my augmented reality wear, my smartwatch, etc etc. Because while they are trying to force me into their garden...Microsoft with Windows and its apps are giving me the freedom to still choose Microsoft without having to marry them and give my life away.

If I was a google users(thankfully, I am smart enough to not hype google up), I'd have a miserable experience on Windows Phone. No Google services. My best experience is on an android device or with some sacrifices, IOS.

So sure Android does offer flexibility. But as open as Android is...it still restricts me and my choices and it goes against Google's initial stance from 2008 when they were the company to "Do no evil" and were a company that seemingly had the consumer's interest in mind. 8 years later and Google now is the King of mobile and has no problem isolating millions of users or forcing people to leave a platform just to use their services. But they get a pass for it while Microsoft has been condemned for the same thing.

Bringing me to my point...Why do I need to go to Nexus just to get the best Android experience? I technically don't have to choose Lumia for the best WP experience(even more relevant now since we lost a lot of lumia exclusivity unfortunately). I brought an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce recently...aside from a lack of Lumia apps, the phone is essentially no different than any of the other low end hardware.

I get the same bogus excuse from many android users/fans...Nexus is the best, nexus is this or that...then how come Nexus is nowhere as relevant as Samsung, LG, Motorola, Xiaomi, Oneplus, HTC or Sony? When I hear people getting excited for their android devices in the real world(since I used to sell phones) it wasn't for the new nexus...it was for the latest of the models above.

The millions who you CHOOSE better phones(Because Samsung provides much better cameras, features, etc etc) are forced to wait months for updates. Because after all Android is open and customizable. Misinformed customers buying tablets and then wondering why their tablets are out of date and can use this feature or that feature or that app.

You are absolutely right....Android is like a Knife. But let's not try and prop up android to be the best because it isn't.

Performance wise? You are right...all platforms do. Including Windows 10 mobile. Difference is, I brought a 1520 this past weekend...it can and will run Windows 10 and is still being supported as is the 2012 Lumia 920 and Lumia 1020 from 2013.

Even Apple is capable of supporting hardware (Albeit it is not always good) for many years....unless it is a Nexus, tell me how long most Android phones get supported for. Certainly not 4 years.

My 1520 doesn't slow down the way an android phones does over a period of time. So yeah performance issues are far worse on Android....and the thing is, I have to buy a phone that is

1. Pure Android(Stock)
2. At least Quad core 600....
3. No less than 2 GB of ram
4. If I want a quality camera, that makes it even more difficult.

I can buy a $30 lumia 640 today and not have to worry about most of that and it runs the OS just fine without needing to spend a bunch of cash just for a quality experience and good performance. Hence why the 640(and the XL) get praise for what they offer at the price they are sold.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I fully understand what customization is and what android is about as I (stupidly) used it exclusively from its inception in 2008 to 2012 when I finally left that frustration for Lumia where I am happy.

I am not sure how it is pathetic or makes WP 8/8.1 inferior because we couldn't have such trivial things such as more than 4 toggles on the notification bar. Personally, while I love Windows 10, I hate how android it has become in its UI and I think Microsoft is sadly forced to conform to a narrow minded perception of bland users(android fans) to find any semblance of success and that is a double-edged sword. In hopes of getting Windows Phone to have relevance they have to emulate their competitors while at the same time they have isolated their own userbase by tearing apart the uniqueness and consistency of Windows Phone 7/8 in favor of the android like design we have now in Windows 10.

I personally find Samsung's new edge to look like a suppository and is easily the worst designs to date from Sansung. Despite their cheap plastic, I greatly preferred Samsung's earlier designs for Galaxy(especially the GS4).

I personally don't find flashing roms or changing icon sizes or having a bunch of BS on my lockscreen cool, innovative, or interesting in the least. I personally don't find an ugly grid of icons and having to scroll from page to page attractive. I also don't find the intrusive notifications appealing of android.

all the power and openness of android is largely irrelevant for me and most Windows Phone because the OS itself is truly nothing special. Windows 10 is an OS for me, that with its growing pains, connects me from whatever platform I am on and Microsoft's strengths with their apps allow me to fully be able to leave one aspect if I wished(for example: Windows Phone) and go to Android/IOS. IOS nor Android are powerful enough where I can connect my gaming, my tablet, my PC, my desktop, my augmented reality wear, my smartwatch, etc etc. Because while they are trying to force me into their garden...Microsoft with Windows and its apps are giving me the freedom to still choose Microsoft without having to marry them and give my life away.

If I was a google users(thankfully, I am smart enough to not hype google up), I'd have a miserable experience on Windows Phone. No Google services. My best experience is on an android device or with some sacrifices, IOS.

So sure Android does offer flexibility. But as open as Android is...it still restricts me and my choices and it goes against Google's initial stance from 2008 when they were the company to "Do no evil" and were a company that seemingly had the consumer's interest in mind. 8 years later and Google now is the King of mobile and has no problem isolating millions of users or forcing people to leave a platform just to use their services. But they get a pass for it while Microsoft has been condemned for the same thing.

I do understand that you are not a fan of Android. You may not like the idea of changing icon size, or having bunch of information on the lockscreen but that's what Android users are looking for. That's what Android is about. Intrusive notifications to you may be useful to others. On the contrary, Android users prefer to have page of icons rather than a long list of squares and gap lines which is looking like a messy chessboard. That's are all nothing but individual preferences and I'm not discussing about that. What I meant with my previous post is that having customization does not mean sacrificing away the consistency UI elements.

Bringing me to my point...Why do I need to go to Nexus just to get the best Android experience? I technically don't have to choose Lumia for the best WP experience(even more relevant now since we lost a lot of lumia exclusivity unfortunately). I brought an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce recently...aside from a lack of Lumia apps, the phone is essentially no different than any of the other low end hardware.

I get the same bogus excuse from many android users/fans...Nexus is the best, nexus is this or that...then how come Nexus is nowhere as relevant as Samsung, LG, Motorola, Xiaomi, Oneplus, HTC or Sony? When I hear people getting excited for their android devices in the real world(since I used to sell phones) it wasn't for the new nexus...it was for the latest of the models above.

The millions who you CHOOSE better phones(Because Samsung provides much better cameras, features, etc etc) are forced to wait months for updates. Because after all Android is open and customizable. Misinformed customers buying tablets and then wondering why their tablets are out of date and can use this feature or that feature or that app.

Why I mentioned about Nexus is because you prefer to have prompt updates, not because of phone features. There is no best Android experience - some like Samsung Touchwiz while some will prefer HTC Sense, or some will even just want to use a plain vanilla Android. However if you want better hardware / software experiences, one may go for OEMs phones rather than the Nexus series. But can you do that with windows phones? Nope, every model will have the same chessboard live tiles start screen.

You bought a Alcatel OneTouch Fierce and the phone is essentially no different than any of the other low end hardware - in other words, there is not much choices when comes to windows phones! But if you want a better camera module, do you not prefer to get the 950 flagships rather? Why people are getting exciting about Samsung, LG, Motorola, Xiaomi, Oneplus, HTC or Sony Android phones because each of them are offering unique experiences, unlike on windows phone. As to why all these OEMs are delaying their update, I have also already explained in my previous post that they are out to sell phones - hence their focus are always on the latest flagships while delaying updates for the older models. Tell me, when windows 10 mobile final version is made to public, do you think your dear Alcatel OneTouch Fierce will be the first model to receive the earliest update as compared to those flagship Lumia models like 950 & 950 XL? Nope, it won't. Same logic applies to the Android flagships.

Performance wise? You are right...all platforms do. Including Windows 10 mobile. Difference is, I brought a 1520 this past weekend...it can and will run Windows 10 and is still being supported as is the 2012 Lumia 920 and Lumia 1020 from 2013.

Even Apple is capable of supporting hardware (Albeit it is not always good) for many years....unless it is a Nexus, tell me how long most Android phones get supported for. Certainly not 4 years.

My 1520 doesn't slow down the way an android phones does over a period of time. So yeah performance issues are far worse on Android....and the thing is, I have to buy a phone that is

1. Pure Android(Stock)
2. At least Quad core 600....
3. No less than 2 GB of ram
4. If I want a quality camera, that makes it even more difficult.

I can buy a $30 lumia 640 today and not have to worry about most of that and it runs the OS just fine without needing to spend a bunch of cash just for a quality experience and good performance. Hence why the 640(and the XL) get praise for what they offer at the price they are sold.

Sadly it is not the case you wish to be. I have both a 1520 and 640 XL running the latest build of W10M. 1520 is having a much better experience with the weaker 640 XL. Running W10M on 1020 is far worse. I'm not the only saying so apparently.....

1020 and '10': the final verdict - stay away! 8.1 is the limit...

So, to answer your doubts, I have a 2013 M7 running fine on the latest Android L update while a 1020 from 2013 is struggling with W10M. TBH, I do not need to have an Android with 4 years supports because for a normal scenario, an average consumer will be able to upgrade his handset after a 24months contract period. Even if a poor chap is unable to sign up for a brand new Android flagship, any budgeted Android model by that time will be a more enjoyable experience than the budgeted windows phone.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The only ones I'd recommend even getting a windows phone device, low budget, are family members here and outside the US that want a smartphone but not over $100. It does the job, its a phone, makes text, WhatsApp works, some sync with Onedrive but Microsoft couldn't even keep that large space promised years ago. It got taken back.

The last phone I coveted for a Windows phone was the Lumia 930 and had serious considerations to leave. Also I stopped being a flash-aholic on Cyanogenmod because I wanted a stable platform. That was back in 2014. Forget about it not even considering it not even today. The last straw for me was backtracking on supporting Android apps on WP10. Really? No one wants this platform and its now at an insignificant 2.8 market share. It will be less than 1% by next year.

I only get Lumia phones, the 640, 520, 530, only for relatives outside the US that want a reliable device. I'll give it that, its great build quality too. But a flagship device, forget it, WP lost me a long long long time ago.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I went back to Android and windows services on Android. I still my 950XL and will keep it, but I wanted a smart watch as I kept missing my messages from my wife and daughter and I refuse to wear band and didn't like the one other watch (whos name I forget) that worked with windows. Oh I got the LG V10 after giving my son my old LG Stylo and I'm picking up the S7Edge. It's nice to have choices. :)

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been a long Windows user and a developer since Windows Mobile 6.5.
Starting with the Samsung Omnia II, then the HTC Trophy 7, Samsung Ativ S, Lumia 800, 900, 920, 925, 1020 & 1520.
That probably dates back to the year 2008, its also my first smartphone ever.

Ml3K9wM.jpg

I'm also one of the few crazy fans that were queuing for the Nokia Lumia 800/900 right on the launch day:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99182046@N08/albums/72157635955120016
9970829016_f069c7fac9_o_d.jpg

9970889903_59aa417ebc_o_d.jpg

Even my Lumia 920/1020 was pre-ordered on the first day of launch on 7th December/5th October, not to mention that I bought my 1520 during my trip to Malaysia even before it was launched in Singapore.

(you'll know it when you look at my album on flickr... lol, almost everything there had references to Lumia https://www.flickr.com/photos/99182046@N08/albums )

Yes, I've had success on Windows platform as a while with 6 digit revenue but those rare opportunity don't come along all the time.
It happens in the midst of Windows 8 release, and the peak sale of Nokia Lumia series.

The thought of switching never came to my mind until fall last year.
Recent chain of events & policies with regards to the Windows Store have been rather unfavourable to individual developer like me, and along with Microsoft no longer pushing for volume sales in the Lumia line.
It is no longer profitable spending my time on WP/W10 apps. In just 5 short months, can you imagine anyone's revenue crashing 80%?

Here's the final nail in the coffin: (My apps went missing in the Windows Store for months)
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...one-app-missing-from-the-store-not-searchable

Enough is enough okay?
I'm now a proud iPhone 6 user, and an android app developer. :evil: I probably won't bother with Windows anymore, until W10M can even capture 5% of the marketshare.. I am although developing android apps, but I don't use it given the security issues.

Last edited:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been a long Windows user and a developer since Windows Mobile 6.5.
Starting with the Samsung Omnia II, then the HTC Trophy 7, Lumia 800, 900, 920, & 1520.

Yes, I've had success on Windows platform as a while with 6 digit revenue but those rare opportunity don't come along all the time.
It happens in the midst of Windows 8 release, and the peak sale of Nokia Lumia series.

The thought of switching never came to my mind until fall last year.
Recent chain of events & policies with regards to the Windows Store have been rather unfavourable to individual developer like me, and along with Microsoft no longer pushing for volume sales in the Lumia line.
It is no longer profitable spending my time on WP/W10 apps. In just 5 short months, can you imagine anyone's revenue crashing 80%?

Here's the final nail in the coffin: (My apps went missing in the Windows Store for months)
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...one-app-missing-from-the-store-not-searchable

Enough is enough okay?
I'm now a proud iPhone 6 user, and an android app developer. :evil: I probably won't bother with Windows anymore, until W10M can even capture 5% of the marketshare.. I am although developing android apps, but I don't use it given the security issues.

I know what you mean, even my free local app for parking payments could not be found when searched in the store although it has been available for more than a year with hundreds of downloads...I have closed my dev account and moved to IOS. Better stretching my brains getting used to swift than losing time programming for windows.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean, even my free local app for parking payments could not be found when searched in the store although it has been available for more than a year with hundreds of downloads...I have closed my dev account and moved to IOS. Better stretching my brains getting used to swift than losing time programming for windows.

Yes its sad :cry:
how they are only bothering with popular apps available on other platforms [Instagram, facebook, games] and totally hiding everything else.

The quote to be successful in Windows store now, is to first ignore the platform completely until you're good enough in iOS or Android. With the limited user base on Windows it is not worth spending advertising money to give your app the first push needed to just show up on the store.

Microsoft while they are doing their best to attract apps from other platform, at the same time they are also chasing away their own loyal developers...

----------

On the bright side as a user myself... If I want the best of Microsoft services which I am already using, iPhone offers it better...
I simply don't see that on W10M right now.

Last edited:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes its sad :cry:

On the bright side as a user myself... If I want the best of Microsoft services which I am already using, iPhone offers it better...
I simply don't see that on W10M right now.
I know the feeling. It used to be an unique platform, with stuff that was able to attract users. I remember the WP8 and 8.1 days when I used to recommend a Lumia to everyone because it was so damn fast, perfect photos, super stable OS. Now, on the other hand, I would not recommend a windows 10 phone to anyone, not even to my worst enemies! I think I'll keep my L1020 just to have it there, even though I am not using it, on 8.1, to remember in a year or two about a great OS, plagued by MS in the new form which wi10mobile is!
Nadella may be the best in cloud services, but he is the worst in mobile! I still can't believe he agreed to sell the x50 series with the OS in such a bad shape!! he agreed to let people be tricked in buying a mediocre, unfinished product! he has no respect at all!!

hexafluoride

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been with Windows Phone since about 2013, and I started out with a Lumia 520 first. At its time, WP8 was amazing, Metro was amazing, the experience was consistent, smooth and it ran like a champ on what seemed like the lowest of the low. I loved every single aspect of it. The number of apps didn't matter for me, because I simply knew I couldn't get an experience like that unless I shelled out a fortune for an iPhone and even then iOS is inferior to 8/8.1 in terms of design.

Last year, I bought a Lumia 830, confident that Windows Phone would prosper and Windows 10 would be amazing. A few weeks after, the first preview was released. Hyped up, I immediately installed it. What I found was...disappointing, to say the least. It was nowhere as snappy as 8.1, the interface was inconsistent, Metro was gone, and overall it just looked like a hack. Attributing those problems to it being a preview, I didn't let my hope down. Until the Lumia 950 and 950 XL were released. At that point, I realized that those problems weren't because the software wasn't ready, it was because Microsoft didn't care. They simply didn't care. What they essentially meant by shipping Windows 10 was "this is production-ready software", when that obviously wasn't true, at least for me. My Lumia 830, which I remind was marketed as an "affordable flagship", lags and stutters more than my friends' old mid-range Android phones. Now, if Microsoft had preserved the consistent Metro language and made sure that their OS didn't lag on a mid-high end phone from the last generation, I would be happy with having less or older apps. But if my OS is worse both in experience and in app support, that's where I draw the line.

I'm switching to a Nexus 6P in 3 weeks, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, I'll miss Glance(there's Ambient Display but it seems it's nowhere as good). But even while writing this part, I had to wait for a second and think about what else I will miss. Nothing. I won't miss anything about this garbage buggy OS.

To stubborn Windows 10 users who claim that their <low-mid end device> runs smoothly: I hope that the problem is with me and you really are having a smooth experience. I know I'm not. Brand loyalty is pointless. Just let it go.

Goodbye, WP community. It's been a fun ride.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I. Sure, I'll miss Glance(there's Ambient Display but it seems it's nowhere as good). But even while writing this part, I had to wait for a second and think about what else I will miss. Nothing. I won't miss anything about this garbage buggy OS.
Goodbye, WP community. It's been a fun ride.

I won't, I'm leaving WP also but going with the Galaxy S7 Edge which I'll have tomorrow & it has "Always On" which is just like Glance except its on a real flagship phone, MS could have built something close to the Edge but opted for a incredibly boring designed 950/950XL with a cheap plastic back.. Has to be the most hyped disappointingly flagship ever released by any company.. WP almost had me back again but once again they disappointed.. Probably my last trip back here.... Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon