Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sad, just sad.

What? The elitist attitude people who use android and iOS have for those who wish to use and are happy with windows 10 and spend time judging or criticizing them for what they wish to spend their cash on?

Yes I agree. It is quite sad that some people literally put significance in a mobile OS on a phone and begrudge others who don't agree with them that it sucks :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Like Micah said, it's not fair for you to make blanket statements. iOS is my dd now, but I'm not going to put down the platform because it lacked some of my personal needs.

I can consider some apps on here to be very poor, I don't need to say more. It's shocking to see the difference between some apps on WM and the same ones on iOS/Android. I'm not going to deny that I am shocked to see updates for apps I use often, including Twitter even.

That's the beautiful thing about windows mobile. I never feel like I lack much. As we've seen with Rudy and we've seen with various twitter apps, YouTube, etc etc. We have some amazing third party apps and just because the first party sucks, I applaud the talent and I choose to use third party apps.

Hence why I still use 6tag even with the instagram beta. And why I would use metro or mytube over the official YouTube app. :)

Only app I wish would get fixed is
1. Kik
2. Hike messenger (to be similar to android/ios)
3.telegram messenger to get redesigned
4. Improved vine

Other than that, we have third party to the rescue for now but I understand that for some the Official app validates them and their choice :)

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Longtime Windows Mobile user switched to Galaxy S7

Fall behind on apps? That's a tad melodramatic isn't it lol. You can jump into apps at any point and time and not fall behind lol.
Melodramatic? Not entirely. When you are on WP, you don't know what you don't know. I don't want to stagnate. You never know when knowing the next big thing can give you an advantage. At the moment, I am having good success with using Sway as a marketing tool for example. But I don't know if there's anything comparable on another ecosystem, and even then Microsoft spends more time developing apps for iOS and Android than they do W10M.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
That's the beautiful thing about windows mobile. I never feel like I lack much. As we've seen with Rudy and we've seen with various twitter apps, YouTube, etc etc. We have some amazing third party apps and just because the first party sucks, I applaud the talent and I choose to use third party apps.

Hence why I still use 6tag even with the instagram beta. And why I would use metro or mytube over the official YouTube app. :)

Only app I wish would get fixed is
1. Kik
2. Hike messenger (to be similar to android/ios)
3.telegram messenger to get redesigned
4. Improved vine

Other than that, we have third party to the rescue for now but I understand that for some the Official app validates them and their choice :)

It's great to have work-arounds, but that's not exactly the point.

Having more apps and better quality apps is what will rescue W10 and W10M. Microsoft themselves knows that and says that publicly. This world of ours just keeps on moving, and standing still is never a recipe for success.

Personally, I like learning new things and keeping up-to-date, and I would be happiest if W10M offered the same app experience as Android or iOS, because I like Microsoft's approach to the OS and ironically they have the best privacy policies of the three choices. That said, if you are happy with what you have and don't feel you need anything new, you can be okay hanging out with WP for a while longer - the same way that there are folks still using flip phones because that's all that they need.

Grow or die is a fact of life, however, and W10M won't continue to be a thing without growth. So one way or another things will change, and it's generally better to be on the front side of change than trying to catch up from behind. If W10M doesn't get some serious traction by this fall I think Microsoft will continue to scale back its OS development efforts - and focus on building out their apps on other platforms.

I suspect that's why they are focusing on Project Islandwood - they are focusing on iOS development because they only need to port the best apps from one ecosystem to make an impact, and they can devote fewer resources to doing so. If it works, they can become relevant in mobile again. If it doesn't, they still learned a lot about what companies are about to become the next big thing, and are in a perfect spot to make acquisitions. Let's face it - Microsoft is buying more new companies than anyone, most of their acquisitions are iOS developers, and their own iOS offerings are better than their W10M versions.

It would be na?ve to ignore the fact that Microsoft is itself preparing for a transition to a post W10M world as a top iOS developer.

I love my windows phone, but I have my eyes open - which is why I am content with a cheap refurb Icon while I wait to see what happens. I don't need to hear sirens to know something's wrong when I can observe those in the know moving to higher ground.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Let me say it this way. Most smartphone enthusiast want the same basic qualities in their devices. Build quality, performance and functionality. Microsoft isn't anywhere near the best at any of these.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully,I don't measure my life worth and value and relevance based in what apps my phone has. Much as it feels freeing to use a different platform, it also feels freeing to realize my phone is simply a phone and not being able to send stupid or perverse pics on snapchat or playing the stupidest latest game is really not that important.

I am not going to leave an OS I like and that works well for me just so I don't fall behind on apps. Because the apps I do use,work well....and what I don't have, I dont have.

I also prefer not to follow the leader and run to the arms of apple or google (who repeatedly screws users) and I prefer to support Microsoft, who makes it easy for people like yourself to throw a fit and still use their apps and services on non-windows platform.

When android comes out with a phone that isn't a bunch of static icons and when apples iOS can filky connect my life the way windows 10 has so far, I may give them a look :)

You are right that one should not measure his life with a phone. However to some, their phones is their rice bowls and tools. They need the appropriate apps to meet their jobs requirements. Windows phone is lacking more than just snapchat and some games, if you are fully aware.

Frankly, I don't see any problem enjoying MS services on a non-windows platform. As long as I can reach to my emails / files, I'm fine. Furthermore, MS services on other platforms works much more beautifully than on WP. IMO, MS is messing with WP loyalists like yourself instead of Apple/Google. On the other hand, having a windows platform prevents me from accessing to my local banking services via their secured apps is a big NO for me.

Sadly, Android and iOS is not doing away with static icons. Because as long as the world is fine with a bunch of static icons, those are still useful icons. On the other hand, flipping tiles is not popular at all because even MS decided to bring back the good old static iconic desktops for windows 10 instead of a big screen with a bunch of squares and rectangles. :)

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, Android and iOS is not doing away with static icons. Because as long as the world is fine with a bunch of static icons, those are still useful icons. On the other hand, flipping tiles is not popular at all because even MS decided to bring back the good old static iconic desktops for windows 10 instead of a big screen with a bunch of squares and rectangles. :)

I miss a lot of Windows 8.1. But there's nothing to be done. The fault with Windows 8 was allowing manufacturers to ship the OS without touchscreens. With my Surface Pro (first generation) the OS was wonderful. Still, the world pivoted in a different direction, and Microsoft (and us as users) had to adopt. This is my point about WP. How many users does it take to keep an OS alive?

In today's global economy, an awful lot.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Loyalty to Windows Mobile means using 2 or 3 year old phones to get quality hardware, an OS that is in beta, a FB app NOT published by FB, an instagram app that is in Beta, an official Twitter app that is fair at best, no Google apps and a company that cares more about it's apps running on the other two mobile platforms than apps for it's own mobile platform. It doesn't take a PhD to see how bad of a deal that is. I guess what PT Barnum said is true.

glossallalia

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Loyalty to Windows Mobile means using 2 or 3 year old phones to get quality hardware, an OS that is in beta, a FB app NOT published by FB, an instagram app that is in Beta, an official Twitter app that is fair at best, no Google apps and a company that cares more about it's apps running on the other two mobile platforms than apps for it's own mobile platform. It doesn't take a PhD to see how bad of a deal that is. I guess what PT Barnum said is true.

Send in the clowns

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The fault with Windows 8 was allowing manufacturers to ship the OS without touchscreens.

Touchscreens aren't always practical, especially on desktops. Touchscreens also raise the price, which reduces sales. While requiring touchscreens could certainly have helped the public accept tiles, it probably would have hurt the system overall, at least not helped.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Touchscreens aren't always practical, especially on desktops. Touchscreens also raise the price, which reduces sales. While requiring touchscreens could certainly have helped the public accept tiles, it probably would have hurt the system overall, at least not helped.

I guess that means that they would have shipped 8/8.1 on laptops and tablets, and left Windows 7 for desktops until they had enough market data to experiment with desktops. Which, ironically, is mostly what happened.

The big problem with the rollout of Windows 8 was that older folks bought new Windows 8 laptops without touchscreens, usually for under $500. The user experience was terrible, but mostly because the hardware specs were so underpowered and none of the touch-screen-designed interface was any fun with a touchpad.

With more expensive devices with touchscreens, Windows 8/8.1 was an outstanding interface. It booted quickly, was rock solid, and much faster than Windows 7. And it supported touch. Some of the Windows 8 apps were superior to their Windows 10 counterparts. The news app in particular was beautiful. With its immersive images and horizontally-scrolling, magazine-style layout, it was much better than the current grid system.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Let me say it this way. Most smartphone enthusiast want the same basic qualities in their devices. Build quality, performance and functionality. Microsoft isn't anywhere near the best at any of these.

For you and the ones who are bugged by the 950s designs. I've always loved the polycarbonate. I am annoyed we didn't have color choices like before but I don't have any issue with build quality, performance or functionality. So for me, they are the best :)

You are right that one should not measure his life with a phone. However to some, their phones is their rice bowls and tools. They need the appropriate apps to meet their jobs requirements. Windows phone is lacking more than just snapchat and some games, if you are fully aware.

Frankly, I don't see any problem enjoying MS services on a non-windows platform. As long as I can reach to my emails / files, I'm fine. Furthermore, MS services on other platforms works much more beautifully than on WP. IMO, MS is messing with WP loyalists like yourself instead of Apple/Google. On the other hand, having a windows platform prevents me from accessing to my local banking services via their secured apps is a big NO for me.

And I do not begrudge you for that choice either :) I personally can't see myself being happy on Android simply because having to use Android now on an Android tablet and friends/families android devices annoys me.

I also don't notice much difference in Microsoft services/apps on the other platform that makes me so upset it doesn't have the functionality I want on WP. Skype is better but then again ever since we got SMS/Skype integration on the platform now, I actually am a lot happier.

I guess I am lucky that my bank, for now anyways, still supports WP and there are other means for me to check my school/work stuff.

I honestly hated that Windows 10 had to be more Android like. Such a beautiful and well-designed OS that had to conform to be more appealing to the obviously annoying masses. That said on Windows 10 desktop, I was able to make it more Win8.1. I rarely ever go to the desktop and I still have my start screen.

Similarly on WIndows 10 mobile, I realize I can still make the phone act like a WP device.

Hopefully Microsoft wont abandon metro to fully conform to an obviously date design(icons).

Apple and Google really have not created anything that makes me want to use them over a windows phone. Of course, that said, if Windows phone was to be killed off...i'd choose apple as their hardware is beautiful and the OS actually feels/works nicely and is a good OS, compared to the mess that is android.

Last edited:

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Response from an application developer, for an app i need to get a bus ticket locally, there response to when I asked when the app is arriving on Windows Phone.

"Thank you for contacting us.

The latest information is not good for Window phones:

Tech Times state:
The new revelations show Microsoft is lagging behind, well behind, the other smartphone makers on the market, garnering only 2.6 percent of the sector in second-quarter sales. Android accounts for 82.8 percent and Apple's iOS has around 13.9 percent of market share. The remainder of the market, according to IDC's quarterly analysis, goes to BlackBerry with 0.3 percent and other manufacturers with 0.4 percent.

Hopefully with the new Windows software coming out there might be a surge of uptake with windows phones. I know the software company have been working on an app for Windows phones but unless our head company Go-ahead decides to go down that route, all we can do is keep pushing and hope.

Sorry I can't be more positive."

crazycanucks1977

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
3 weeks ago I dropped my 1520 on the sidewalk. The glass cracked all over, but was somewhat usable. 3 options: Use my backup 830 till Surface phone comes out, Buy another 1520 or glass replacement from ebay as it would cost the same. There is no option for me as a Canadian to get a 950 or XL other than walking into the Microsoft store and buying full price.
In the mean time while I decided what to do I popped my sim in the 830 and I hated it, no wonder it was my backup. I then popped the sim into my wife's old iPhone 5 which was still jailbroken on iOS 9. It wasn't the best phone, but since it was Jailbroken and I had my customization I wanted it worked. But it was a puny phone, but I got to using apps like Starbucks and Tim Horton's and others that are non-exsistant on WM10. Like how can there not be a Yahoo Fantasy app???? Its there on the other platforms. And these are not new apps or small dinky apps either.

I then saw my nephews Note 5 and he loved it. My other nephew was trading his old iPhone 5s for a Galaxy S7. I started playing around with thier phones, and Andriod really has come along way with these new Samsung Phones. Even tho I hate iOS I can pick up my wife iPhone 6s and download any app or game and use it. You really do make consessions when using WM10 with the lack of apps. Yes we all know the issues there, but all of these OEM's and Microsoft can make the coolest phones, but if it doesnt have the apps with it, the average user will NOT upgrade to WM10, sad to say.
You can see how polished the apps store on both Google and Apple really are. Whatever app you need or want to use its there. There are no waiting to see ifg the dev will release it or trying to find 3rd party apps. Its all there in either platform. Why am I not able to have a Starbucks app and pay from my phone? Why do I have to use some ****ty 3rd party app for my Yahoo Fantasy league?

After using the 920, and 830, 1520 and WM for 4 years, I decided to get a Note 5. And there are things I dont like about it, but those get outweighed by all the good things like apps. I chose Android as you can customize how you want, and chose the Note 5 as its what a Flagship phone should look like. These new Samsung phones are just eye popping.

I found I can install a Windows Mobile launcher on my Note 5. Will check it out and then I can have tiles on my Note 5 with all the apps I need. Best of both worlds.

One thing I do miss is the Cortana integration over Bluetooth. I just need to find how to get my phone to read texts over BT

JasonG83

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I started with WP7 on a Samsung Focus S (coming from Blackberry), and I was in love. I continued through a Lumia 920, and still loved it. After my 920 died, I did a stint with a Lumia 535 to hold me over until the next big Windows Phone. However, the wait was long. And during that time, I began to miss out on more an more apps, and some of my primary apps (like BofA) began to disappear. When the Lumia 950 came out, I bought into the Windows 10 hype, and decided to give Microsoft one last try. However, I was sorely disappointed. The hardware and interface were still great, but the apps still sucked, and the failure to include MirrorLink support was unforgivable (especially since the only useful implementation of the much-hyped Continuum would have been in-car).

I have now switched to iPhone 6s. And I miss Windows Phone desperately. The iPhone apps really are light-years ahead of WP, and for that reason, I have to stay with Apple. But the UI sucks, and Siri is grossly inferior to Cortana. Text message over bluetooth doesn't work, and I no longer have the seamless, hands-free text implementation of Cortana. Even CarPlay sucks, because you have to see a text message notification on the screen, and then interact with the screen to get Siri to read the message (so dumb).

If anything, this was the most frustrating thing about owning a Windows Phone. Microsoft was INCAPABLE of marketing or capitalizing on the aspects of the phone that were superior to the competition. And it even abandoned many of its distinguishing (and useful) features, like hubs, and social media integration (I know, not their fault, but it's Microsoft forgodsake, they can afford to license whatever tech they want). In the end, Microsoft has a superior product, but has been reduced to irrelevancy, by its own failure to market that product. If they can't even keep their biggest fans (like me), I don't see a path forward. Though I would love to be proven wrong.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I started with WP7 on a Samsung Focus S (coming from Blackberry), and I was in love. I continued through a Lumia 920, and still loved it. After my 920 died, I did a stint with a Lumia 535 to hold me over until the next big Windows Phone. However, the wait was long. And during that time, I began to miss out on more an more apps, and some of my primary apps (like BofA) began to disappear. When the Lumia 950 came out, I bought into the Windows 10 hype, and decided to give Microsoft one last try. However, I was sorely disappointed. The hardware and interface were still great, but the apps still sucked, and the failure to include MirrorLink support was unforgivable (especially since the only useful implementation of the much-hyped Continuum would have been in-car).

I have now switched to iPhone 6s. And I miss Windows Phone desperately. The iPhone apps really are light-years ahead of WP, and for that reason, I have to stay with Apple. But the UI sucks, and Siri is grossly inferior to Cortana. Text message over bluetooth doesn't work, and I no longer have the seamless, hands-free text implementation of Cortana. Even CarPlay sucks, because you have to see a text message notification on the screen, and then interact with the screen to get Siri to read the message (so dumb).

If anything, this was the most frustrating thing about owning a Windows Phone. Microsoft was INCAPABLE of marketing or capitalizing on the aspects of the phone that were superior to the competition. And it even abandoned many of its distinguishing (and useful) features, like hubs, and social media integration (I know, not their fault, but it's Microsoft forgodsake, they can afford to license whatever tech they want). In the end, Microsoft has a superior product, but has been reduced to irrelevancy, by its own failure to market that product. If they can't even keep their biggest fans (like me), I don't see a path forward. Though I would love to be proven wrong.
Thankfully this big fan is still happy ;)
IOS isn't bad though. I actually like the OS but I share some of the same sentiments you have against IOS. It's the only other os worth checking out if someone leaves windows.

I wish Microsoft would adopt Apple mentality with their products. Hopefully Microsoft manages to win you back over and you can rejoin us :)

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about what I replace my phone with. After seeing here suite call it quits days ago, which is a really great suite of apps, and mixradio shutting down, which I liked quite a lot, well, I think it's over.

I've settled that I'm probably only going to change when my phone is either dead, or so old that it's no longer useful. But, I can clearly see that not only are developers not supporting the platform, good apps are now going, MS apps are not even being supported well. It's starting to look like a disaster. It appears like as if MS have decided to pull the plug, but doing the bare minimum to make it seem like as if it's still going.

Real shame, cause I really like the UI, I've enjoyed the platform, I've had android and I know why I don't want to use android. With that said, if the 'surface phone' is their next hope, it's going to flop in a very similar fashion to WP; it just won't get the momentum to attract the user base in a repetition of a chicken vs egg scenario all over again, since it won't have the users, as the apps won't be there, meanwhile, the devs won't develop apps since the users aren't there.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
While I understand and don't begrudge people for switching, this despair and apocalyptic sounding posts are amusing to me more so than people who are amused that windows phone still has fans.

Everyone has basically become a conformist and just accepts android and apple as our only options and darn Microsoft should they try something new.

And have all basically stated that Microsoft can never and will never be successful and there is no hope now.

Like I said, people call the remaining wp fans as delusional or sad. But I find it more sad, if not pitiful, that people truly are okay with less and less options and ui/design seemingly being the same and any product that comes out that is different from the big two is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers